53 members have voted

1. 1. Who won?

• Romero
    • Whittaker
    • Draw

That's the problem with scoring

ohhhhh so it's a problem with scoring, not that you're wrong. got it

This isn't boxing, therefore shouldn't be scored the same. The only reason ufc took those scoring rules was to make the ufc more legitimate in the early years.

I guess you're in the minority, because 25 others believe Romero won or should have been ruled a draw, and only 19 have Whittaker winning.

I had it 3 rounds to one whittaker heading into the 5th.

Romero had his moments but air shots don't score points, shots landed do, and most of Romero's shots were woefully innacurate.

Whittaker was stunned on a few occasions but never, by any measure, was he ever out of the fight. He was looking to intelligently defend himself whenever he got caught.

Don't get me wrong, Romero fought like a warrior, but he didn't do enough. For my money he spent too much of the time in each round stalking whittaker and throwing yolo shots that missed by a country mile.

• Like 4

Whittaker needed to win that fight. The last thing 185 needs is another immediate rematch when one guy can't even make the weight. The division has been a mess since Bisping got the title. Now we finally have a legitimate champion fighting legitimate contenders. Let's not slow the division down with another rematch. Get Weidman or Gastelum in there. Let Romero move up to 205.

Sooooo   RW lost total strikes, significant strikes, and takedowns.  Twice got KTFO, and is probably still feeling the effects of scrambled brain syndrome, but he wins on two of the judges score cards 47/48 winning rounds 1,2, and 4, with no 10/8 for Romero.  So I can't change that fact, I cant make it right, but I know he lost.  Say what you will, to me there is nothing anyone can say on a forum to change my mind.  It's funny how butt hurt people get when you disagree on a forum.  I don't even like YR, I think he has been bending the rules ever since he joined UFC, but in my opinion, he got robbed on scoring that fight.  If 3 or 5 was not a 10/8 round, then I don't know what is. 

• Like 2

Goes on a long rant about how he doesn't care about other opinions, says he doesn't know how people get butt hurt on forums.

• Like 4

I guess you're in the minority, because 25 others believe Romero won or should have been ruled a draw, and only 19 have Whittaker winning.

You mean 31 people have Whittaker winning or drawing, only 13 people have Yolo winning.

Btw name a fighter that has missed weight in two title fights, shouldnt be tew hard, its a short list

• Like 3

If 3 or 5 was not a 10/8 round, then I don't know what is.

well you got there eventually

• Like 2

You mean 31 people have Whittaker winning or drawing, only 13 people have Yolo winning.

Btw name a fighter that has missed weight in two title fights, shouldnt be tew hard, its a short list

Why not say 26 people have Yoel winning or drawing, only 19 have RW winning?

hmmm....

• Like 2

The fight should have been a draw.

Round 1: Whittaker 10-9

Round 2: Whittaker 10-9

Round 3: Romero 10-9

Round 4: Whittaker 10-9

Round 5: Romero 10-8

• Like 3

Why not say 26 people have Yoel winning or drawing, only 19 have RW winning?

hmmm....

Your inability to grasp even simple concepts knows no bounds does it Vert. Because Bart already said that and i was pointing out that using his logic considerably more people think Whittaker won. Spin it any way you want, Yolo lost and the fans agree
  • Like 1

Your inability to grasp even simple concepts knows no bounds does it Vert. Because Bart already said that and i was pointing out that using his logic considerably more people think Whittaker won. Spin it any way you want, Yolo lost and the fans agree

The knowlegable mma fans and experts don't agree with you.

• Like 1

The knowlegable mma fans and experts don't agree with you.

Wow how could i ever possibly debate that well thought out and clearly well researched argument with a forum luminary like yourself.....

• Like 1

The loss is bad enough, but then listening to Dan Lambert telling the story about the weigh in fiasco, I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy.  Looks like he got screwed twice in one day.  Again, YR should have been on weight the first time, but they gave him, by the commission rules, 2 hours.  Then after he gets cleared by medical to cut additional weight,  some lady from the commission decides he has to weigh in right then, and of course he is counting on another hour or more, but she tells him right now, or the fight is off.  He did not get the 2 hours per the Illinois athletic commission. 

I thought it was pretty close to being in Yoel's favor but the volume of Whitaker should probably have made it a draw tbh.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty close to being in Yoel's favor but the volume of Whitaker should probably have made it a draw tbh.

happy birthday for the other day Nikki :D
  • Like 1

My favorite part of this was Yoel's post fight speech being in spanish and having people I was with lean over and be like "what did he say?"  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My favorite part of this was Yoel's post fight speech being in spanish and having people I was with lean over and be like "what did he say?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

what DID he say? if it wasn't I love you Robert imma be mad as hell
  • Like 1

what DID he say? if it wasn't I love you Robert imma be mad as hell

It was a lot of God be with you and I love you all. As per usual. And that he would be back and be champion.

Reminded me a bit of Bisping vs Hendo 2. Despite Bisping and Whittaker being knocked down twice they both outpointed and won 3 rounds. Although, Bisping's win was more clear cut IMO. 

What annoys me is that there are some idiots here who say Whittaker clearly beat Romero and Hendo clearly beat Bisping, smgdh head.

• Like 1

Reminded me a bit of Bisping vs Hendo 2. Despite Bisping and Whittaker being knocked down twice they both outpointed and won 3 rounds. Although, Bisping's win was more clear cut IMO.

What annoys me is that there are some idiots here who say Whittaker clearly beat Romero and Hendo clearly beat Bisping, smgdh head.

lolol

Bisping just about died when he got h-bombed and was saved by the bell in the first in a 10-8 round, then ran away and jabbed the rest of the fight, got dropped and imo lost the 3rd, to a draw. Rob defended well then got some of his own good shots in in the 3rd and survived enough to stand at the end of the 5th. Clearly won 1,2 & 4

Edited by Ozpride
  • Like 1

lolol

Bisping just about died when he got h-bombed and was saved by the bell in the first in a 10-8 round, then ran away and jabbed the rest of the fight, got dropped and imo lost the 3rd, to a draw. Rob defended well then got some of his own good shots in in the 3rd and survived enough to stand at the end of the 5th. Clearly won 1,2 & 4

Thank you for identifying yourself as one of the idiots, m8.

• Like 1

Thank you for identifying yourself as one of the idiots, m8.

im not saying the 4th was dominant, but you can see who won it, clearly. nobody is debating that from what I understand. The arguement is wether or not rounds 3 or 5 warranted a 10-8

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Rocked three times and almost finished twice in the fight. What a performance for Whitaker but Yoel sucks right? ^^

giphy.gif

Never once got hurt and even exhausted ate Whitagoats flush head kick full blast then still kept coming like a tank.  

I give them both props but Yoel whipped that @ss this time. H8'ers can't even give Yoel any cred. He cleaned the whole division and gave the champ all he could handle. 

That strike in the fourth is the one good strike he landed. That doesn't win him the fight.

If you're going to be a low volume striker who relies on a few short bursts of explosiveness throughout the fight then you can't expect to win decisions.

That strike in the fourth is the one good strike he landed. That doesn't win him the fight.

If you're going to be a low volume striker who relies on a few short bursts of explosiveness throughout the fight then you can't expect to win decisions.

He pretty much cleaned out the division doing that...lol

• Like 1

He pretty much cleaned out the division doing that...lol

You don't need to tell me, I'm the one who aptly nicknamed him YOLO Romero. That style is great for finishing fights, but he drops rounds just standing around conserving energy and waiting to pounce. 

You don't need to tell me, I'm the one who aptly nicknamed him YOLO Romero. That style is great for finishing fights, but he drops rounds just standing around conserving energy and waiting to pounce. 

No argument there, his style doesnt work great for 5 round fights.

Floyd kinda does the same possum strategy but he doesn't have that build or explosiveness so he relies on bicycle, defense and counters till his opponents fade then he picks up the volume. 

IDK for me was a really close fight but i think Yoel's haters exaggerate tew much. I do think a draw was closer to accurate than either one getting the win. 

More than anything i was just happy to see an amazing fight. They both left it all in there and the heart involved from both was just bananas. 

• Like 1

Floyd kinda does the same possum strategy but he doesn't have that build or explosiveness so he relies on bicycle, defense and counters till his opponents fade then he picks up the volume. 

IDK for me was a really close fight but i think Yoel's haters exaggerate tew much. I do think a draw was closer to accurate than either one getting the win. 

More than anything i was just happy to see an amazing fight. They both left it all in there and the heart involved from both was just bananas. 

A draw would have been fine, but I just don't see how you give it to Yoel in any way.

It's actually better that it wasn't a draw because the dude lost the first fight decisively and then missed weight for two title fights in a row. He doesn't deserve the rubber match, especially not any time soon IMO.

Bring on Gastellum or Weidman. 

A draw would have been fine, but I just don't see how you give it to Yoel in any way.

It's actually better that it wasn't a draw because the dude lost the first fight decisively and then missed weight for two title fights in a row. He doesn't deserve the rubber match, especially not any time soon IMO.

Bring on Gastellum or Weidman. 

I guess where i differ from others opinion is while i can agree WhittaGOAT did a little more to get the win on a rd by round basis if i look at the fight overall i felt Yoel was very close rd for rd but also put the hurt on Rob more and also had srs balls to go for it more. 

He had moments he took off or paced but so did Rob. It was a grueling fight with two opposing strategies.  

Not that Rob wasn't going for the kill too but when i like at a fight as whole i rank actually hurting people a little higher because this is the hurt business. I'm not so much looking at it in a pure sport kinda way but a fight. 

No matter how i look at this was a close one but i just felt Yoel brought more hurt and that counts a lot to me. 

On the weight cutting thing. I really h8 that stuff i srsly do but he was only 0.2 over and evidently the commission actually did make him come back to weigh in early before it was time. That 0.2 over had not real effect on the fight but yeah Yoel needs to get his ish together on that. Should have never been the slight issue it was in the first place. 

This isn't as bad as Dern coming in 7 lbs over, not giving AF and being a in a lighter class where it makes a bigger difference. 

I'd say Gastulem is up next. Weidman's been on the inactive can shelf to long and needs to earn that spot again. 

• Like 1

have Weidman fight RW next and have that ducking cheating fat slob Fatseulm fight Yoel.

who did Kelvin duck or cheat? Fairly sure Bromero cheated more than he did

Whittaker 1, 2, 4

But was there a 10-8 round for Romero...or 2 even? Those are the questions really....

• Like 1

I just watched the fight and Yoel beat the **** out of Robert!

optics do count

Edited by Bezerker101