#1 Jolldan

Jolldan

Fit Like?

• Free
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:43 AM

https://www.bbc.co.u...nology-44805697

p06dk6p5.jpg

A flying car that will not require a pilot's licence to operate has been unveiled in California.

BlackFly can travel for up to 25 miles (40km) at a speed of 62mph.

Its makers say it will eventually cost the same as a typical sports-utility car, but early models will be more expensive.

It was revealed on Thursday the company is funded by Google co-founder Larry Page.

Mr Page is also behind Kitty Hawk, a separate US start-up currently testing its personal aircraft in Las Vegas.

Several other rival flying cars are in development across the globe.

BlackFly's creator is the Palo Alto-based firm Opener. The car has been tested in Canada, where the country’s aviation authority has authorised its use.

Like Kitty Hawk, BlackFly could perhaps be more accurately described as a human-carrying drone. It is not designed to be driven on roads.

The vehicle carries one person in a small ****pit, powered by “eight propulsion systems, spread across two wings”.

It works best, Opener says, when taking off and landing from grassy surfaces.

'Total command'

“Watching BlackFly take flight just blew me away,” said Darren Pleasance, director of the US Experimental Aircraft Association. “I’ve never seen anything like it.”

While the vehicle will not require a pilot's licence, Opener said as a precaution riders would have to undergo a training programme in order to become acquainted

_102495938_whatsubject.jpg

“Even though not required by Federal Aviation Administration regulations, BlackFly operators will be required to successfully complete the FAA Private Pilot written examination and also complete company-mandated vehicle familiarisation and operator training," it said.

“You have total command of three-dimensional space,” he told CBS News correspondent John Blackstone.

“When you press the thumb-stick to climb, you have absolute full control. When you stop in the middle of the air and go off the joystick, the aircraft freezes.

“And when I say freezes… it literally freezes in the air.”

BlackFly can also fly autonomously, Mr Leng said.

'Will they crash? Probably'

Opener joins a long list of companies chasing the ultimate science fiction dream of a flying car, and thanks to rapid improvements in drone capabilities, that future seems closer than ever.

_102495944_a954d8c9-3de3-4b58-97a0-88971

As well as BlackFly and Kitty Hawk, companies such as Uber are also seeking to get into the flying car market - if indeed there ever is one.

The Hiller Aviation Museum in Northern California is a graveyard of failed attempts to create a flying car.

_102495939_whatsubject.jpg

But the museum’s head of operations, Willie Turner, believes this latest batch might be on to something - as long as aviation authorities can accommodate the new ideas.

“Now we have the technology,” he said.

“But the regulations are ‘well you can’t do this, you can’t do that’. They don’t understand it.”

He added: “Now will they crash? Probably, but cars crash every day.

“You know it’s not going to be foolproof but it will be much better than the current system we have now."

• Fred_Flink_Stoned and MauroPedrosa like this

"All will be well."

ezgif-3-dc4b0e889e.gif

#2 MauroPedrosa

MauroPedrosa
  • Free
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

This won't end well

3vzbFMh.jpg

#3 sobercuban

sobercuban

HGIC

• Moderators
  • 61,673 posts
  • LocationGOAT

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

The only way this ever happens is if they are all automated.  

• Enigma_Machine likes this

post-406774-0-75557900-1533750560.gif

post-406774-0-58737000-1534995991.jpg

#4 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,664 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

Video of it in action

The only way this ever happens is if they are all automated.  

Only way i see it happening wide spread usage anywhere in the near future would have to be some sort of track system sort of like cars in Minority Report that hover low to the ground where it can be more controlled with automated systems. That and getting it down to a reasonable price while still being safe which is the biggest challenge. 

Just flying around freestyle is never gonna be anything more than a rich man's toy or some ride/rental type deal at the beach or amusement park or something like that. 

Looks like fun. I like to try it but only after many many trials. 

• sobercuban, MauroPedrosa and PlatinumClegg like this

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#5 sobercuban

sobercuban

HGIC

• Moderators
  • 61,673 posts
  • LocationGOAT

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

Video of it in action

Only way i see it happening wide spread usage anywhere in the near future would have to be some sort of track system sort of like cars in Minority Report that hover low to the ground where it can be more controlled with automated systems. That and getting it down to a reasonable price while still being safe which is the biggest challenge. 

Just flying around freestyle is never gonna be anything more than a rich man's toy or some ride/rental type deal at the beach or amusement park or something like that. 

Looks like fun. I like to try it but only after many many trials.

Minority Report was exactly what I was thinking of when I typed that.

• StompGrind and PlatinumClegg like this

#6 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,664 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:51 PM

In more rural areas i could maybe see it being used as a primary mode of transportation in the future. Even though that thing doesn't seem to move that fast which is a plus for safety it's still as the crow flys so will still faster than roads and would be a lot more fun. 

In the city i don't see it happening without a track system that's automated because there would be WAY tew much air traffic to watch out for and way too many idiots crashing.. WEEEEEEEEE!!! look no hands. 

When quantum computers and nano tech become the next big huge push in tech we'll probably have teleport airports & automated taxis & trains before we ever have flying cars in cities.  

• sobercuban likes this

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#7 PlatinumClegg

PlatinumClegg

Somebody might die!

• Free
  • 21,900 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:49 PM

I watched that for the first time in a long time late last year.  The technology seen in the movie seems as if it was foreshadowing **** we have today.  Give it another decade and anytime you have a homicidal thought some dudes will come smashing through the windows of your house.

• sobercuban likes this

LikableLittleGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

Don't want to brag but I've done dong comparisons with white guys before

#8 Enigma_Machine

Enigma_Machine

Supreme Overlord Extreme

• Moderators
  • 23,297 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

There's way too much maintenance involved in aviation for a flying car to be in every household. A flying vehicle can't simply break down... I can see maybe electric motors having the reliability, automation and being controllable to mass produce these things safely, but batteries will always be the big issue. Elon has plans for a supersonic electric vtol already but there aren't batteries that can power it.

• sobercuban likes this

conair.gif?w=780

^ I agree.

2013 predictions league champion
Forum odds makers league ALL divisions champ, p4p 1... no.1 period.
Forum Face Off 2012 champion, 2013 no.2, 2013 most wins as champ
Last one to post wins winner x2
Survivor Series VIII - Sole survivor.

#9 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 14,399 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 14 July 2018 - 01:37 AM

now i didnt graduate with honours from an ivy league university like my homie vertFTW, but i cant see what could possibly go wrong with this idea.

Edited by -idyb-, 14 July 2018 - 01:38 AM.

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#10 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:06 AM

No more potholes !!!

#11 sobercuban

sobercuban

HGIC

• Moderators
  • 61,673 posts
  • LocationGOAT

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

No more potholes !!!

THAT is what you're excited about?  

Do you live in Canada? 

#12 Omoplataypus

Omoplataypus

Still Kelvins #1 fan, he'll be back

• Free
  • 17,519 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:05 AM

Do you live in Canada?

Yes
  • sobercuban likes this

#13 MoZZez

MoZZez
  • Free
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:16 AM

Do you live in Canada?

Healthcare costs a bit, so roads sometimes take the hit.
  • sobercuban likes this

#14 crangs

crangs

14-14-1 career

• Free
  • 22,144 posts
  • Locationin the Can aisle of your local prediction tournament

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

they look ugly as fook
  • Enigma_Machine and Eclipse76 like this

#15 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 14,399 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 15 July 2018 - 03:27 AM

this is like some chit straight outta the jetsons.  i wonder how theyll be able to set up police roadblocks to crack down on impaired drivers? or will they just call in some military jets to shoot them down or something?

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.