Sign in to follow this  
*Haze*

Elbows 12-6 rule

So, Alvarez just got pulled up for dropping a 12-6 to the trap.

Why are the TDD elbows against the cage, which are very much thrown in a 12-6 manner, not illegal?

A 12-6 is only ceiling fo floor. Pretend a clock is on the wall. It is not 12-6 through the eyes of the fighter. The elbows you are talking about are considered 9-3 or 3-9. I used to think the same thing. Hope that's clear.

• Like 3

which fight specifically are you referring to? I've never witnessed an elbow with a guy defending a TD against the cage thrown 12-6 (without a penality) before.

So, Alvarez just got pulled up for dropping a 12-6 to the trap.

Why are the TDD elbows against the cage, which are very much thrown in a 12-6 manner, not illegal?

I assume you're referring to the ones like what Browne used to beat Josh Barnett. They're not 12-6. It's only 12-6 if it's coming straight down from the ceiling to the floor, no matter the position.

If there's any kind of angle on them (which there has to be in that position because otherwise they'd also be shots to the back of the head), they're not illegal.

• Like 1

i think 12-6 are legal except to grounded opponent, they are just useless to throw when both fighters standing up, seems you can throw them from the bottom though but not the top

Edited by PunchBag

ok, cool, so cage 'bows are considered more a 10-4 affair, rather than a 12-6, got it!

still bull-**** though.

McMax - the TB ones hurt the most, Gonazaga (i think it was) first, then the big man Barnett. Sad times!

imo - anything TB does should be considered illegal

i think 12-6 are legal except to grounded opponent, they are just useless to throw when both fighters standing up, seems you can throw them from the bottom though but not the top

No they're illegal standing up too. They can be useful if an opponent has a double leg and bends over exposing their back and or neck but you can't attack the spine or back of the head. Also good on the ground to split a person's blocking guard going down the center from the mount and from the full guard they're one of the most powerful strikes in a shorts distance because if an opponent stacks and smothers without distance you don't really have an angle or the distance to generate a lot of force but those elbows you still can and they quite powerful. 

I agree it's a stupid rule though when you can knee someones face, slam shins and heels into peoples heads and punches which are often more effective and have more opportunity to use. 

One good reasoning for them to keep them in place is because of that bent over double leg position and the turtle position. Someone could move their head/body and you would have a lot of fighters missing their mark and slamming a concentrated elbow down with their body weight in in a tight space into the back of someone's head or spine. Granted bending at the waist for a double is bad technique as is giving up your back though but not always possible to avoid. 

In this day and age with fighters getting so good at techniques, imposing positions and athletic abilities i could see it being dangerous from certain positions if only because the angle would probably hit the spine of back of the head a lot whether intended or not. 

I think they should allow it from the guard and mount to force some action and it's not dangerous to the back of the head or spine in those positions and no more powerful than any other strikes you can do from those positions. . 

Edited by StompGrind