Sign in to follow this  
PlatinumClegg

Rizin has the right idea for fighters that miss weight

I just watched Gomi vs Guillard.  The fight was at 160 and of course Guillard still missed weight.  The penalty is you begin the fight with a red card which is 50% of your purse.

I wish the stateside commissions would do something similar.  Miss by half a pound and you just lost half of your entire purse.  Show and win with every dollar going to your opponent.  This stupid **** where the commission gets a cut is BS.

If you are over especially by 8 pounds you shouldn't be allowed to do what Dern did either.  She still had an hour to cut more weight.  She chose not to cut anymore because she wanted to hit up the snack stand and start re-hydrating.  Her opponent weighed in last so Dern, already a full weight class bigger had more time to balloon back up to 140 for a 115 pound fight.  She should have had to stay in the back until the dead line and suffer, same with Chiesa against Pettis.

Even beyond weight issues I think a card system would be good for everyone.  If I'm reffing Lewis vs Ngannou those two would have done that chit show for free.  I'd request a deck of yellow cards after the 1st round and they would start flying.

• Like 4

Take there whole purse, they are violating terms of a contractial agreement between you, the organization and another fighter who's well being is at stake

They should also take away a point in the actual fight for having such a huge advantage in weight, which would also encourage fighters to finish fights 

wanna show up 3 pounds overweight? put those 3 extra pounds into a left hook, larry 

Edited by King_Can!
  • Like 2

Take there whole purse,!they are violating terms of a contractial agreement between you, the organization and another fighter who's well being is at stake

They should also take away a point in the actual fight for having such a huge advantage in weight, which would also encourage fighters to finish fights

wanna show up 3 pounds overweight? put those 3 extra pounds into a left hook, larry

who's gonna fight for free, lol? Edited by crangs

who's gonna fight for free, lol?

depending on how you word the contract, a lot of people

make fighters agree to make weight or hand over there purse before the fight

obviously this isn't possible, but the idea of taking 50% of a fighters purse is awesome, so why stop at 50%? take 80%, the fighters can use the last 20% to pay there fee's to there gym, and maybe they'll learn a lesson on how to be professional 

• Like 2

if you miss weight you have to finish your opponent to receive your purse

boom, I should get hired 

• Like 3

Fook the state commissions. Make it boilerplate language in the contracts. While were at it, how about a limit to how much you add on post weigh in? Yeah I know, sounds like chit, but ffs.

depending on how you word the contract, a lot of people

make fighters agree to make weight or hand over there purse before the fight

obviously this isn't possible, but the idea of taking 50% of a fighters purse is awesome, so why stop at 50%? take 80%, the fighters can use the last 20% to pay there fee's to there gym, and maybe they'll learn a lesson on how to be professional 

I wouldn't be opposed to taking 70% on their entire purse if they miss by 5 or more pounds.  60% for missing by 3 or more.  If you pull a Charles Oliveira or Thickenzie Dern and weigh in at the next weight class you get a 1 year suspension and you are never allowed to compete in that weight class ever again.  He actually weighed 155 for a 145 fight and was posting photos eating quarter pounders at McD's like the day before weigh ins. 

Dern was 123.5 so she cleared championship weight for flyweight and then re-hydrated to almost the same weight as Cejudo and Mighty Mouse.  They were no more than 2 pounds heavier in the cage and men a weight class up.

Edited by PlatinumClegg

I even like this you keep the early morning weigh ins.  Any fighter that's going to miss weight by the 10 am deadline has to weigh in at the dead line.  Then at the ceremonial weighs ins 6 hours later they still have to weigh 138, 157, 174.5, etc.  EXACTLY what they weighed... or less which is doubtful.

During the time that they suffer or hopefully just die their opponent that made weight is re-hydrating.  If they choose to put on so much as a quarter of a pound between early morning deadline and ceremonial weigh in they forfeit the fight entirely.  It's recorded as a loss for them and the fight is scrapped.

I think 3 things need to be done.

1st time you miss weight 30% of fight purse, if you win 30% of your win bonus is added to the 30% from you normal purse. So 60% total.

2nd time you miss weight 60% from both standard and win bonus plus youre barred from fighting at that weight class.

Miss weight a 3rd time now in higher weight class cut

• Like 1