Sign in to follow this  
skillandpower

LOL @ UFC P4P Rankings.

Im confused (and disgusted).

Im not a MM fan at all but I like to be fair even if I dont like a specific fighter.

So MM was the #1 P4P until he lost in a close decision against a guy who he already beat once (finished) and, somehow, he is now #6 behind dudes likes Conor, Holloway and GSP ... 

Do you agree with that ? Is it fair for a long reigning champ like MM to drop ** 5 spots because a loss by decision ?

Edited by skillandpower
  • Like 1

Im not a MM fan at but I like to be fair even if I dont like a specific fighter.

So MM was the #1 P4P until he lost in a close decision against a guy who he already beat once (finished) and, somehow, he is now #6 behind dudes likes Conor, Holloway and GSP ...

Do you agree with that ? Is it fair for a long reigning champ like MM to drop ** 5 spots because a loss by decision ?

the entire ufc ranking system is a comedy mate, and they don't use it to create matchups. Just ignore it and it won't bother you

• Like 1

the entire ufc ranking system is a comedy mate, and they don't use it to create matchups. Just ignore it and it won't bother you

I know m8. Thats not new for me at all but this time it really made me cringe

I know m8. Thats not new for me at all but this time it really made me cringe

maybe look at it from the perspective of the rankings maker.

......lol nvm im not crazy

• Like 1

Im not a MM fan at but I like to be fair even if I dont like a specific fighter.

I dont agree with that also........I think DJ should be taken off the P4P ranking altogether...hopefully we never see him on a PPV card again....ever.

• Like 1

I dont agree with that also........I think DJ should be taken off the P4P ranking altogether...hopefully we never see him on a PPV card again....ever.

I dont like dJ either but boy where did he touch u
  • Like 5

He was on top of p4p list because he was winning every fight for such a long time they could not deny him anymore.

Meanwhile he dropped to #6 in a very close decision and nobody really is pissed off or disgusted but a few fans like you. That shows you p4p list is in some degrees a popularity list also.

He lost 5 spots because he was never #1. The UFC humored us because of his crazy winning streak but even cherry picking fights didn't save him in the end. Now they can put DJ where he belongs, in the prelims.

• Like 1

“It is ridiculous. There’s no such thing as ‘pound for pound.’ There’s not. It’s this mythical thought, and the people that sit around and attempt to create a P4P list are one step away from the same people that sit around and discuss the different possible integers as to why Batman could beat Superman. It’s impossible to know. It’s a ridiculous topic.”

Signed the undefeated P4P king

Chael-Sonnen-steroid-cycles.png

• Like 4

Im not a MM fan at all but I like to be fair even if I dont like a specific fighter.

Each of these guys are still on top and have beaten more relevant names than DJ.

DJ's division is as shallow as they get. I'd compare that legit to WMMA at the moment. Which would make sense given the low demographic for adult male midget athletes.

Sorry to have to say this but with DJ's run you've been watching a can crushing saga. DJ is legit a great fighter but not ahead of other champs. He's just been the only great fighter in a rather low-skill division. Same as Ronda was before. She looked like a **** world-ender because she was ahead of the competition, and she was ahead of the competition not because she was absolutely a superior fighter but because the competition was weak.

Edited by Furiousmat
  • Like 1

Each of these guys are still on top and have beaten more relevant names than DJ.

DJ's division is as shallow as they get. I'd compare that legit to WMMA at the moment. Which would make sense given the low demographic for adult male midget athletes.

Sorry to have to say this but with DJ's run you've been watching a can crushing saga. DJ is legit a great fighter but not ahead of other champs. He's just been the only great fighter in a rather low-skill division. Same as Ronda was before. She looked like a **** world-ender because she was ahead of the competition, and she was ahead of the competition not because she was absolutely a superior fighter but because the competition was weak.

casuals going to casual
  • Like 2

I said that DJ BS was about to happen. This is included.

• Like 1

Dj wins how many fights in a row & is defending his title multiple times a year, loses 1 fight & drops 4 places in p4p ranks. Colin McGruber doesnt fight in the ufc at all in over a year, but fights Mark Goddard, a bus, an Irish cartel member & various lawsuits outside of the sports & gets pushed up to #2 p4p. Dana White “the p4p rankings were never my friend”

Edited by agtx
  • Like 1

Dj wins how many fights in a row & is defending his title multiple times a year, loses 1 fight & drops 4 places in p4p ranks. Colin McGruber doesnt fight in the ufc at all in over a year, but fights Mark Goddard, a bus, an Irish cartel member & various lawsuits outside of the sports & gets pushed up to #2 p4p. Dana White “the p4p rankings were never my friend”

On point. Massively...

casuals going to casual

Sorry that you think looking at facts is "going casual". I guess nott "going casual" means worshipping fighters without critical thinking.

How deep do you have to go in DJ's resume to start seeing guys who don't even have a wikipedia page? Just do this exercise and compare that to GSP. Then we'll talk about casuals.

DJ's division is shallow. Only an idiot would deny that.

• Like 1

Sorry that you think looking at facts is "going casual". I guess nott "going casual" means worshipping fighters without critical thinking.

How deep do you have to go in DJ's resume to start seeing guys who don't even have a wikipedia page? Just do this exercise and compare that to GSP. Then we'll talk about casuals.

DJ's division is shallow. Only an idiot would deny that.

lol, 8 years and over 20 wins ago he fought guys without a wiki page to start his career. BTW those were bantamweights not flyweights. That's normal in modern MMA because everyone isn't a one dimensional can like they used to be and the UFC didn't have any lighter divisions. I have no idea why you are bringing up GSP when trying to compare divisions. He fought lightweights and cans for most of his career.

Look at facts and compare his division vs other ones in the UFC today and it's on par with the other divisions and better than a couple of them. You had a dominant champ, 3 fighters that are better than the rest, and then a few solid guys that would alternate wins if they fought each other regularly.

• Like 1

lol, 8 years and over 20 wins ago he fought guys without a wiki page to start his career. BTW those were bantamweights not flyweights. That's normal in modern MMA because everyone isn't a one dimensional can like they used to be and the UFC didn't have any lighter divisions. I have no idea why you are bringing up GSP when trying to compare divisions. He fought lightweights and cans for most of his career.

Look at facts and compare his division vs other ones in the UFC today and it's on par with the other divisions and better than a couple of them. You had a dominant champ, 3 fighters that are better than the rest, and then a few solid guys that would alternate wins if they fought each other regularly.

Of course DJ didn't fight guys with no wikipedia page. What I mean is if you start looking att what was the history of the guys who fought him, and the guys these guys fought, and go down the ladder. What you notice is that this tree is pretty short.

Let's just go back a few fights ago on DJ's record. What do we see. Tim Elliot.

Who the **** os Tim Elliot, and what did he do to get a shot at that belt?

He had previously fought in the UFC, amassing a UFC record of 2-4, and then beat 3 guys in another organization, two of whom are complete nobodies. That got him a straight shot to the UFC title.

Then we go a bit further. We see John Dodson. What had John Dodson done by 2012 to deserve a shot at DJ's belt? Well, let's look at his last fight before he got itt the first time. He fought Jussier Formiga. So what type of win was Jussier Formiga for a win over him to be followed by a title shot? A Guy who was just then making his UFC debut. That's right. DDodson's title contention fight was against a guy who was making his UFC debut and who just prior to that had been fighting unknown fighters.

The second time? Lining up wins over the likes of John Moraga, who also fought for the title, but 2 fights before was too fighting nobodies.

What i'm getting at is that if you look down the pedigree of DJ's oppone ts, you quickly find the bottom. Especially if you look at who these guys were at the time they were awarded the shot. Now you can claim they're just as good. But who's to know. The facts still show that the division is shallow: people find their way to the UFC title by facing almost nobodies. That shows lack of dept, aand is very similar to how Rousey's oppone ts were picked.

There's a reason why the depth of that tree is shorterr. It's because this is a very thin demographic. Male athletes that small are much more rare than male athletes at more average weights like 155, 170, 185.So when promotions try to built that division, they take what they can, because they have much less to filter from. That's not rocket science.

So yeah, MAYBE they're just as good, but that's highly unlikely. Because not only they're filter from a smaller pool, even an exceptional fighter in that pool will then be pushed by what iisprobably lesser competition.

And i'm bringing up GSP because he was specifically mentioned by OP as a guy who somehow erroneously found his way above DJ in the ranking. You can say what you want about the quality of the competition he's faced. I don't focus on what you think of them. That's irrelevant and ope tointerpretation. I focus on whatt type of competition these guys represented at the moment they were awarded their shot. Some were undeserving, but many were ranked pretty high at the time. He also u ified titles with strikeforce, and recently acqired a belt in a higher weightclass. one with, as Diaz would put it, "normal sized human beings". That's significant when talking about P4P rankings.

• Like 1

IMO, P4P is something the UFC took from the fans. The UFC's list is just as meh as some random's list. Just disregard the UFC's P4P listings.

The UFC's list essentially is some random's list. They poll a bunch of random MMA writers nobody has ever heard of, and then average out the rankings.
  • Like 1