Sign in to follow this  
cashfl0w

Do you remember when judges screw somebody?

I was talking to Jolldan, and he seems to feel like we should just move on when guys get robbed, and forget about it. We were talking about some random Brazilian can that lost to Jarred Brooks, but was rewarded for being Brazilian in Brazil.

It made me wonder. Are you more like I am, and feel like we shouldn't reward poor judging? Or do you feel like we should just adhere to what the Brazilian judges tell us happened?

Here's another good example:

i9NEG4E.png

Unless you live in the UK, you saw what everybody else saw, and that was Darren Till losing pretty handily to Thompson. He didn't make weight either, but here we are with Till vs. Woodley, like that makes sense. 

Personally, I feel like Till is the furthest thing from a real contender since we saw Volkan get beat up by DC. But at least Volkan was actually winning his fights. 

What do you think? And I don't care about your stance on Till vs. Wonderboy. Save it. I want to know if you think we should be rewarding sketchy decisions.

• Like 6

I was talking to Jolldan, and he seems to feel like we should just move on when guys get robbed, and forget about it. We were talking about some random Brazilian can that lost to Jarred Brooks, but was rewarded for being Brazilian in Brazil.

You say this like Jarred Brooks was a household name lol.

Both guys were up and coming, I agreed he got shafted in a decision but losing your next fight by knocking yourself out negates any potential of running that back immediately. Because it wasn't contentious how he got knocked out in his last fight and it was in no way contentious how Figueiredo went on to win his next two fights.

Brooks will be back he is only 25.

• Like 1

I remember watching this fight and having Thompson winning the decision but I was okay with Till getting the nod because he landed that massive shot in the 5th and was actively trying to do damage while thompson was just trying to score

losing to thompson is like losing a match, not a fight 

with that said yes, Look at every single Bisping fight that has happened in the UK and the scorecards lol

• Like 1

You say this like Jarred Brooks was a household name lol.

Both guys were up and coming, I agreed he got shafted in a decision but losing your next fight by knocking yourself out negates any potential of running that back immediately. Because it wasn't contentious how he got knocked out in his last fight and it was in no way contentious how Figueiredo went on to win his next two fights.

Brooks will be back he is only 25.

Again, if Brooks had really LOST to this can, it would matter what happened after those fights. Since he didn't lose, and would have won literally anywhere else on the planet, it doesn't matter what either did afterwards.

I don't care if said Brazilian can doesn't want the rematch right now, but he damn sure doesn't deserve a title fight either.

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 1

Again, if Brooks had really LOST to this can, it would matter what happened after those fights. Since he didn't lose, and would have won literally anywhere else on the planet, it doesn't matter what either did afterwards.

I don't care if said Brazilian can doesn't want the rematch right now, but he damn sure doesn't deserve a title fight either.

Brooks DID lose that was the result and that's what goes down in the history books.

There have been plenty of fights where the guy I have been rooting for has been on the receiving end of a **** deal but the UFC have made it pretty damn clear that you're more likely to find Jimmy Hoffa than get a commission to over turn decisions.

Brooks DID lose that was the result and that's what goes down in the history books.

There have been plenty of fights where the guy I have been rooting for has been on the receiving end of a **** deal but the UFC have made it pretty damn clear that you're more likely to find Jimmy Hoffa than get a commission to over turn decisions.

**** a commission. That's the entire point of the OP.

I get it. You feel like we should just stomach poor decisions. The point of the OP is to ask what everyone else thinks. I feel like most people do not agree.

This is a better compromise on Rogan's idea of like 30 lol

i mean 7 would be ideal, but as someone who goes to a bunch of fights i dont need another 4 geezers sitting in high chairs ringside blocking my view.

The fact of the matter is that the issue is with the judging, not what happens after. Till should get the shot because he won on paper, its not like hes going to turn it down or hand back his win. If they fix the judging we dont have to have this conversation. They should be testing the additional judges idea with title fights / number 1 contender fights at the very least. Protect the integrity of the sport. try to avoid being boxing in the late 90s people just started saying it was rigged and stopped watching some of the "marquee" matchups.

• Like 1

Or do you feel like we should just adhere to what the Brazilian judges tell us happened?

Ultimately in terms of things like rankings and deciding future fights, yes, I do think we should. Otherwise, what's the point of even having judges if we just disregard the result when we disagree with them?

That's not to say that judges shouldn't be held accountable for crappy scorecards, but I think you deal with that by better education standards for judges and improving/clarifying the criteria, not by deciding "well, I don't agree" and ignoring the result.

(that said, regardless of how you feel about the decision, Till still shouldn't be getting the next title shot after missing weight by as much as he did)

• Like 3

The offensive part to me is in split decisions.  The cards usually read 29-28 (twice) for the winner and 30-27 (one judges opinion) for the loser.  That's highly offensive.  They should go to judge school and at least be told what they all NEED to be objective about and subjective reasoning could be considered.  I think this would promote consistency.  

• Like 4

Brooks lost that fight. Your the one that can't judge lol

You're the jack*ss that had Till beating Wonderboy, and Wonderboy beating Woodley twice, right?

Yeah, sit down.

• Like 1

It's not that bad judging isn't an issue, it's that there's nothing the fans or the UFC can do about it. They are in a "get away with murder" position with little training and zero accountability.

• Like 2

Don't remember which judges do the screw job.

I just figure they all don't know wtf they are doing when fights goes the distance.

Flip a coin if the fight goes to the judges.

Robbery,shmoberry. If you put it in the judge's hands you take that chance. Instead of being rewarded for poor judging, you shouldn't be rewarded for chitty fighting. Finish it in the ring, not on the cards.

Robbery,shmoberry. If you put it in the judge's hands you take that chance. Instead of being rewarded for poor judging, you shouldn't be rewarded for chitty fighting. Finish it in the ring, not on the cards.

Don't drink that DW Kool aid. Every fight isn't going to end in a finish and it shouldn't be a question whether judges know what they are doing.
  • Like 4

If you truly believe every fight should be a finish, then i assume you have conor mcgregor sheets and go to bed with a ronda rousey tshirt while wearing jon jones boxers and you drool on a chuck liddell pillow case

• Like 1

i only remember all the bad reffing regarding Palhares.

this guy let go too soon against Dan Miller and then waited for the ref to stop the fight ( like he should) and people and fighters started complaining because he is a leg lock wizard and they' re all ****ting their pants for him so they started to demonize him instead of praising him for his greatness

I'd like to see you chase down Wonderboy. The guy is a goddamn human cheetah.
  • Like 2

If Wonderbread isn't running he just stands there all karate like and chit.

Mike Perry would walk right through one of his counters and serve him the HANDS.

If Wonderbread isn't running he just stands there all karate like and chit.

Mike Perry would walk right through one of his counters and serve him the HANDS.

Just wanted to remind you that Perry is 1-2 in his last 3 should be 0-3.

Also Cerrone is gonna serve that wigger his walking papers.

• Like 1

Just wanted to remind you that Perry is 1-2 in his last 3 should be 0-3.

Also Cerrone is gonna serve that wigger his walking papers.

Shut up nerd.  Plank is getting knocked out cold.  Lindsey will be pleading with him to retire so he can spend his time doing dumb chit.

• Like 1

I wish the athletic commissions would get more ex fighters or trainers as judges instead of using the same old blind ****s every week. It's not like you need high profile fighters, just someone who has experience and understand what they are watching.

• Like 3

I didn't even watch Thompson vs Till but seems like there's obviously something wrong when pretty much every other commentator rates the fight one way and all 3 judges say otherwise.

Guess it's a tough problem to fix because you can't really avoid having local judges who will be biased towards the local fighter, and in terms of marketing it's also pretty hard to not get fighters fight in their hometown/country when there's a chance. And I guess people could argue that US fighters might be on the right side of that bias more often than not since most fight happen in the US and many fighters are foreign.

And people not making weight is obviously a problem, to which there doesn't seem to be any real solution other than getting rid of the whole weight cutting business by using USADA to also weigh fighters when they show up and forcing them to maintain weight a number of months before the fight.

Edited by Furiousmat

Carnage NEVER forgets

I remember Eddie robbing Pettis BADLY and getting a title shot for it LMFAO

Shows you how scared Eddie was. That dude came to bang against Gaethje, and he sniffed the nuts for 15 mins on Showtime. Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 1

I need GoToGuy to give me a full breakdown of his win ratio and the percentages 

Wish granted!

Eddie is:

1-2-0-1 in his last 4 = 25% win rate and that NC should have been another loss.

4-3-0-1 in his last 8 = 50% win rate.

7-4-0-1 in his last 12 = 58.3% win rate.

29-6-0-1 in 36 fights = 80.6% win rate.

Verdict = Currently a can. Bigger than Pettis at this point who he nut sniffed against.

Edited by GoToGuy
  • Like 2

Quality/fair judging is the key to making any sport legitimate. That said, when I see a bad decision, I might get annoyed for a couple of days and then it fades. If I personally could do something about it I guess I would, but I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do about it. So I'll have to accept it happens and move on, like cage grabbing, eye pokes and the likes

It made me wonder. Are you more like I am, and feel like we shouldn't reward poor judging? Or do you feel like we should just adhere to what the Brazilian judges tell us happened?

Here's another good example:

i9NEG4E.png

Unless you live in the UK, you saw what everybody else saw, and that was Darren Till losing pretty handily to Thompson. He didn't make weight either, but here we are with Till vs. Woodley, like that makes sense. 

Personally, I feel like Till is the furthest thing from a real contender since we saw Volkan get beat up by DC. But at least Volkan was actually winning his fights. 

What do you think? And I don't care about your stance on Till vs. Wonderboy. Save it. I want to know if you think we should be rewarding sketchy decisions.

Context is everything to me, not just in sketchy decisions.  If a guy is on a 5 fight winning streak that includes 3 SD's and a dodgy decision, I will not think as highly of them as someone who's KOed 4 of his last 5 opponents and dropped a narrow decision to the other one.  That's why i've never been that impressed by Ferguson; dude went on a great win streak but was within moments of being finished in half his fights.

On the Till front there is no doubt he doesn't deserve this shot.  He even said so himself, but it is what it is.  I actually think Till showed his potential in that fight; he gave Wonderboy a stiffer test than any WW not called Tyron.  The dodgy decision and missed weight overshadows everything though, and consequently most of us have a bad taste in our mouth about this title shot.

• Like 2

Context is everything to me, not just in sketchy decisions. If a guy is on a 5 fight winning streak that includes 3 SD's and a dodgy decision, I will not think as highly of them as someone who's KOed 4 of his last 5 opponents and dropped a narrow decision to the other one. That's why i've never been that impressed by Ferguson; dude went on a great win streak but was within moments of being finished in half his fights.

On the Till front there is no doubt he doesn't deserve this shot. He even said so himself, but it is what it is. I actually think Till showed his potential in that fight; he gave Wonderboy a stiffer test than any WW not called Tyron. The dodgy decision and missed weight overshadows everything though, and consequently most of us have a bad taste in our mouth about this title shot.

The reason it bothers me so much is because we're on the brink of the entire sport devolving.

What happens if Till wins? Then we've rewarded being a mouth, while not making weight and being a professional. What is the incentive for fighters to do the right thing? There isn't one anymore.

The guys who complain about the WWE dramatics dictating the title shots may as well stop watching if Till wins.

• Like 2

The reason it bothers me so much is because we're on the brink of the entire sport devolving.

What happens if Till wins? Then we've rewarded being a mouth, while not making weight and being a professional. What is the incentive for fighters to do the right thing? There isn't one anymore.

The guys who complain about the WWE dramatics dictating the title shots may as well stop watching if Till wins.

Sadly, i think we're past the point of no return.  There is less consistency than ever before as they chase the quick buck.  This is just another in a fairly long line of shabby title shots.  

Till should have been patted on the back for his performance v WB and told to get himself up to MW.  

It shouldn't surprise us though.  Look at Miocic. Never turned down a fight.  Most HW defences in UFC history and yet he'd barely woken up before any chance of a deserved rematch had been quashed by a dude who is 0-2-1 in the last 8 years.

I think i'm at the point where the only thing that really bothers me about how the UFC award title shots is that they try and pretend that it's still merit-based.  Just come clean and say that rankings mean diddly squat and that they're chasing short-term ratings.

• Like 2

Right. I'm all for putting stock in the rankings system. But you cannot pretend the rankings hold weight, and then make decisions based on who can put butts in the seats instead. Those two things are not cohesive.

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 1

Never.

There's only one thing I agree with Dana White about, and that's "don't let it go to the judges".

You let it go to the judges and they don't pick you, tough *****.

End the damn fight.

You know what really grinds my gears? When people say there's a difference between a robbery and a bad decision. No there's **** not, if we can agree the wrong person won then it's a robbery **** sucker

• Like 1

Never.

There's only one thing I agree with Dana White about, and that's "don't let it go to the judges".

You let it go to the judges and they don't pick you, tough *****.

End the damn fight.

Wonderboy ran for 50 minutes, and Demian Maia was humping a leg yet again. This "don't let it go to the judges" line is ridiculous.
  • Like 1