What A Time To Be Alive!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 America

America
  • Free
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:34 PM

The vending machines began appearing in the Long Island suburb of Brookhaven without any explanation.

One showed up outside a landscaped apartment complex, next door to a mini-golf course, according to local news reports. Another turned up by a bus stop outside a strip mall that, in recent years, has featured Chinese and Jamaican restaurants, a Dominican hair salon and a storefront advertising “We buy gold.” The third was found near another shopping plaza at a busy intersection with a Home Depot, Family Dollar, Dunkin’ Donuts and Advance Auto Parts.

Each of the blue metal boxes was attached to the ground with concrete and had a metal slot that held $2 worth of quarters. “PENS,” one said. Others advertised “SKETCH PENS” or, even more ambiguously, “S PENS.”

But what they really contained were crack pipes.

Calls about the strange vending machines started coming into Brookhaven Town Hall last week, Councilman Michael Loguercio said at a Monday news conference. At first, it seemed like nothing more than a standard zoning violation.

“Many people had thought within the community that because it was the first week of school that perhaps they were actually selling pens,” he said.

When a local fire chief popped in eight quarters on Friday, though, what came out was not an ordinary pen. Several filter screens were stuffed inside. When the pen was disassembled, its glass tube could be used as a pipe, officials said at Monday’s news conference. In other words, it was a crack stem — some assembly required.

“You think you’ve heard of everything,” Ed Romaine, Brookhaven’s town supervisor, said while shaking his head. “I continue to be surprised by the audacity of those that would break the law in promoting drugs and drug paraphernalia.”

Town officials believe the machines were originally tampon dispensers and had been ripped out of public bathrooms, WMRA reports. Installing each one would have required digging an eight-inch hole and filling it with concrete.

“It’s a lot of work to do for a prank,” Loguercio said at Monday’s news conference.

So who was behind the audacious — and fairly laborious — scheme? How did they decide where to install the machines, and how did they avoid detection while doing so? How much money had they made before the vending machines were removed?

Those questions will be up to Suffolk County police to investigate, town officials said Monday. Police will also determine whether the individuals responsible will end up facing criminal charges rather than simply being fined for a zoning violation for installing the vending machines on public right-of-ways without the appropriate permits.

“Obviously, it’s not illegal to sell a pen,” Loguercio said. “However, this is considered drug paraphernalia.”

New York State Assemblyman Dean Murray, who represents Brookhaven, added, “I don’t remember ever buying a pen that came with a pack of filters, so I think it’s obvious what the use was intended for.”

Residents who figured out the vending machines’ real purpose were “outraged,” Brookhaven Public Safety Commissioner John Meehan said Monday.

An unidentified resident reportedly destroyed one of the machines with a sledgehammer before officials came and removed it, according to News 12 and Pix 11. Meehan didn’t confirm those precise details but said that his department has reason to believe that one vending machine was “destroyed or damaged by the community when they learned about it.”

Like other predominantly white, middle-class parts of Long Island, Brookhaven has been feeling the effects of the opioid epidemic in recent years. But other drugs have also been making their way into the community. In March, seven people were charged with distributing cocaine, crack and heroin in the Brookhaven area. Prosecutors say they were part of a multimillion-dollar drug operation that originated in the Bronx and was responsible for several overdose deaths in eastern Long Island.

“We’re focused on the heroin crisis, but crack is still around,” Brookhaven Councilwoman Jane Bonner said this week.
  • sobercuban and I_Take_Roids_m8 like this
34pz2qh.jpg

#2 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:45 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

• sobercuban, I_Take_Roids_m8, RadLad and 2 others like this

#3 I_Take_Roids_m8

I_Take_Roids_m8

#1 DC fan since day #1

• Free
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:47 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

• sobercuban and RadLad like this
Khabib bodies all your favorite fighters.
Daniel Cormier = P4P GOAT

#4 cashfl0w

cashfl0w

Stay woke, fam.

• Free
  • 58,560 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:51 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

• sobercuban and RadLad like this
Champion of UFC Predictions League 2017, UFCFCCL 2017, Survivor Series IX,
Gambler's Prediction League Season 3, Next Big Thing Season 1, 

UFC Predictions Tournament XV (Team USA vs. Team World) and Tournament of Champions II titles.png
Head-to-head match record since Tournament XV: 25-8-3 (+58)

there is literally nothing you don;t know.

amazin

#5 Bwana

Bwana
  • Free
  • 305 posts
  • LocationSW Pa.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:15 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

• sobercuban likes this

#6 sobercuban

sobercuban

HGIC

• Moderators
  • 61,596 posts
  • LocationGOAT

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:19 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

post-406774-0-75557900-1533750560.gif

post-406774-0-58737000-1534995991.jpg

#7 TUF

TUF
  • Free
  • 25,369 posts
  • LocationFlavortown

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:24 PM

bll-cosby-confused.png

• sobercuban likes this
conair.gif?w=780

Condit 1,3,4

#8 RadLad

RadLad
  • Free
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:31 PM

TLD **** R

F**k you, GSP.

#9 VertFTW

VertFTW
  • Free
  • 8,541 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:37 PM

TLD **** R

did anyone bother to read whatever America copied and pasted? (without citing his source......again.....btw)

#10 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:19 PM

They sell "pens" with roses in them at every convenient store. What is taking away "cracky" pens gonna do anyway? 

Lol @ we are focused on the Heroin crisis. Start with big pharma, pharmaceutical lobbyists, doctors that are callus about writing scripts because they'll do anything to pay off student loan debt and the pill mill clinics. 

I mean what's the difference between them and dealers? One went to school, has credentials and money that can be taxed so it's legit? ha. After you clean that up a bit then you can start to take a look at organized trafficking, junkies and last on the list is someone making a profit off selling paraphernalia. 

And IDK maybe we shouldn't have sent our men & women in uniform off to Afghanistan to find savages in caves in a partially fake news war then end up protecting poppy fields because after that happened there sure was an explosion of synthetic heroin being made and prescribed. Not to mention the vast mineral reserves there...hmm

I don't even care but 4 real they need to cut the BS. 

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#11 America

America
  • Free
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:52 PM

did anyone bother to read whatever America copied and pasted? (without citing his source......again.....btw)

You best get over that f@ggot. This isn't a top 20 university. I don't have to do chit other the post whatever the f*ck I want.
34pz2qh.jpg

#12 -idyb-

-idyb-

the goatiest of goats who ever goated

• Free
  • 14,316 posts
  • Location💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 💆 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👿 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 👫 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐GSP's #1 Fan ☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐☐ 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🐉 🏒🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏒 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🏁 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎮 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸 🎸

Posted 12 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

They sell "pens" with roses in them at every convenient store. What is taking away "cracky" pens gonna do anyway? 

Lol @ we are focused on the Heroin crisis. Start with big pharma, pharmaceutical lobbyists, doctors that are callus about writing scripts because they'll do anything to pay off student loan debt and the pill mill clinics.

nothing will ever be done about that so long as the pharmaceutical industry keeps funding the politicians.

theyd rather lock up johnny potsmoker and give him some prison time for selling a couple joints rather than go after billion dollar corporations who are nothing more than drug and death dealers on a massive scale, so long as they keep supporting them throughout their election campaigns.

Edited by -idyb-, 12 September 2018 - 04:36 PM.

• Bwana likes this

JOFZEZN.jpg

47zWmRx.jpg

Water is wet, fire burns, and I'm going to beat Michael Bisping.

#13 StompGrind

StompGrind

OG since 09

• Free
  • 38,634 posts
  • LocationChamp Champs home state

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:09 PM

nothing will ever be done about that so long as the pharmaceutical industry keeps funding the politicians.

theyd rather lock up johnny potsmoker and give him some prison time for selling a couple joints rather than go after billion dollar corporations who are nothing more than drug and death dealers on a massive scale, so long as they keep supporting them throughout their election campaigns.

Yeah campaign funding & lobbying is a huge peeve of mine. Should be illegal imo because it basically makes things a plutocracy. 

Then again i want millions of dollars to give some BS 30 min speech for execs too. Only difference is they wouldn't own me after. 

e323249005db0bcda6fa34bce037f98e.jpg

#14 Bezerker101

Bezerker101

Zerk

• Free
  • 21,666 posts
  • LocationCebu

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:21 PM

The vending machines began appearing in the Long Island suburb of Brookhaven without any explanation.

I know that area well, .. it's all too true