Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Valentina Shevchenko to face Sijara Eubanks in UFC 230 main event

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/10/2/17928894/valentina-shevchenko-face-sijara-eubanks-ufc-230-main-event

003_Valentina_Shevchenko.0.jpg

UFC 230 has its main event, but at the cost of another marquee fight.

MMA Fighting’s Marc Raimondi confirmed with sources that Valentina Shevchenko has been moved from a previously announced bout with Joanna Jedrzejczyk at UFC 231 to instead face Sijara Eubanks in the main event of UFC 230 on Nov. 3 at Madison Square Garden in New York City. As with the Jedrzejczyk booking, this will be for the vacant UFC women’s flyweight championship.

The change was first reported by ESPN.

This is the third time that Shevchenko has been scheduled for a flyweight title fight this year. She was supposed to challenge then-champion Nicco Montano at UFC 228 on Sept. 8, but Montano was hospitalized less than 48 hours before fight night due to complications with her weight cut and the bout was subsequently canceled. In the fallout, Montano, the promotion’s inaugural women’s champion at 125 pounds, was stripped of the belt.

It was later announced that Shevchenko would fight Jedrzejczyk, the former long-reigning strawweight champion, at UFC 231 in Toronto on Dec. 8 for the vacant title. However, it appears that the decision was made to reschedule Shevchenko due to UFC 230 still needing a headliner just over a month away from the event.

As for Eubanks, this will mark her shot at redemption as she was initially meant to compete in the first-ever UFC women’s flyweight title fight after competing on season 26 of The Ultimate Fighter. Eubanks and Montano made their way through a 16-woman tournament to earn their spots in the finals to crown a 125-pound women’s champion on Dec. 1, 2017, but Eubanks was unable to make weight for the contest and she was replaced by veteran Roxanne Modafferi, who lost to Montano via unanimous decision.

Eubanks (3-2) made her official UFC debut in June, defeating Lauren Murphy by unanimous decision at UFC Utica. During her stint on TUF 26, Eubanks claimed wins over Maia Stevenson, DeAnna Bennett, and Modafferi.

Who do you think wins?

And even though I get the feeling I know the answer lol how do you like this as a main event?

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, GoToGuy said:

Wtf? Who made this **** decision? Why did JJ get removed? 

Valentina stomps a mudhole in this other bish's face. 

lol think Joanna had the same idea

DoiaKHuXgAE_kZZ.jpg

• Like 2

Joe knows what's up lol

Speaking on his The Joe Rogan Experience MMA Show podcast, UFC commentator Joe Rogan gave a live reaction to the announcement that Valentina Shevchenko will now face Sijara Eubanks and not Joanna Jedrzejczyk, admitting that he doesn’t even know who Sijara Eubanks is.

“What?!” Rogan said. “No offense but I don’t even know who Sijara Eubanks is and I’m the commentator for the UFC.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

I will LOL so hard if Eubanks wins.

Valentina lost so much momentum in the past year it could happen.

5 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

This is the chick who made weight by cutting her hair right? 

Farcical. I'm with Rogan on this one. 

I love Valentina and she deserves a big event and all that jazz but this was also my reaction to this fight being made. 

aa9d0fd0-0e24-0133-5066-0ec273752cbd.gif

27 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Eubanks (3-2) ................ lol

And her 1 and only win in the UFC was a decision that could have easily gone either way

Thank God this is over with. What the hell is wrong with them anyway? Maybe Eubanks can fight, but she's a no name, and to headline your end of the year fight in New York?

12 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

It will be the THE CARD that everyone is leaving the sports bar right after the co main even for sure

this is fact^

• Like 1

The Story Continues

Katlyn Chookagian is being looked at as the standby fighter for Shevchenko vs Eubanks.

Katlyn Chookagian (11-1) is in talks to be the backup fighter for the Shevchenko-Eubanks fight at 230 should something happen to either fighter, per sources. Worth noting, she beat Sijara Eubanks in 2015.

— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 3, 2018

Joanna is pissed at being removed from the card

Me pulling out of fight? Never! Here is the truth. Yesterday I was informed that my fight had been cancelled. Unfortunately, I received this news from journalists, I was very shocked. I feel angry and sad. The already signed contract on the 8th of December was ignored. They were trying to persuade me into taking the fight in November, at the same time depriving me of a chance to properly prepare for the fight during the camp. Valentina is a challenging opponent, and my goal was (and actually still is) to prepare for this fight as best I can, and to eventually become the UFC flyweight champion. I treat every opponent and fight serious and with respect. I could fight in NY if I was interested only in money. Due to respect for other fighters and myself, I rejected the offer made by the UFC to change the date of the fight, as my main goal is to be at my best form during the fight, and in order to do that, I have to do my job from start to finish.

For 15 years I’ve been focused only on development, sportsmanship at the highest level and achieving my dreams. Of course, martial arts are my job, but most of all, they are my passion, hobby, and they fill my life and run in my blood. As a professional and a person who treats her life and work obligations serious, I feel truly resentful about the [breaking] of the fight agreement. My feelings are even more intensified when I think of the obligations I had to resign from, as they would have happened in the time of my camp. I always plan everything long before a fight announcement. Once I sign the contract, there is nothing more important than fight preparations.

I always try to put myself in somebody else’s situation, be it a life or business one. Thus, I understand the quick decision made by the UFC key people to save the event in NYC. Everything happens for a reason. Sooner or later i’ll become the champ in two weight classes. – Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Instagram. 

Nah, I didn't just read Chookagian is the backup. My eyes deceived me. That would be too stupid even by NewFC standards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

Nah, I didn't just read Chookagian is the backup. My eyes deceived me. That would be too stupid even by NewFC standards.

Yeah lol I really wonder who managed to pitch this and get it through, the board meeting must have been hilarious.

Granted Joanna probably lost some fans after dropping the belt but pretty sure she could lose her text 10 and more people would know who she is than Eubanks.

Mad to think they could have potentially went from Valentina vs. Joanna a few hours ago to Eubanks vs. Chookagain II for a vacant title.

If the UFC take anything from this I hope to god this makes them realise they should never debut another title on TUF again after seeing what a chit show this was.

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

Still can't believe this is actually the main event... Everyone should leave MSG after the co-main to make a point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RadLad said:

Still can't believe this is actually the main event... Everyone should leave MSG after the co-main to make a point. 

I was all in on Shevchenko/Holm going 25 minutes after Barboza/Melendez, Ngannou, Usman, and a few other decent fights. I happily rolled out as they were doing intros for the main.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jolldan said:

The Story Continues

Katlyn Chookagian is being looked at as the standby fighter for Shevchenko vs Eubanks.

Katlyn Chookagian (11-1) is in talks to be the backup fighter for the Shevchenko-Eubanks fight at 230 should something happen to either fighter, per sources. Worth noting, she beat Sijara Eubanks in 2015.

— Ariel Helwani (@arielhelwani) October 3, 2018

Joanna is pissed at being removed from the card

Me pulling out of fight? Never! Here is the truth. Yesterday I was informed that my fight had been cancelled. Unfortunately, I received this news from journalists, I was very shocked. I feel angry and sad. The already signed contract on the 8th of December was ignored. They were trying to persuade me into taking the fight in November, at the same time depriving me of a chance to properly prepare for the fight during the camp. Valentina is a challenging opponent, and my goal was (and actually still is) to prepare for this fight as best I can, and to eventually become the UFC flyweight champion. I treat every opponent and fight serious and with respect. I could fight in NY if I was interested only in money. Due to respect for other fighters and myself, I rejected the offer made by the UFC to change the date of the fight, as my main goal is to be at my best form during the fight, and in order to do that, I have to do my job from start to finish.

For 15 years I’ve been focused only on development, sportsmanship at the highest level and achieving my dreams. Of course, martial arts are my job, but most of all, they are my passion, hobby, and they fill my life and run in my blood. As a professional and a person who treats her life and work obligations serious, I feel truly resentful about the [breaking] of the fight agreement. My feelings are even more intensified when I think of the obligations I had to resign from, as they would have happened in the time of my camp. I always plan everything long before a fight announcement. Once I sign the contract, there is nothing more important than fight preparations.

I always try to put myself in somebody else’s situation, be it a life or business one. Thus, I understand the quick decision made by the UFC key people to save the event in NYC. Everything happens for a reason. Sooner or later i’ll become the champ in two weight classes. – Joanna Jedrzejczyk on Instagram. 

Some of this is comical

JJ and sportsmanship.... yeah sure...

I treat every opponent with respect....yeah sure....

On 10/3/2018 at 6:46 AM, Jolldan said:

Joe knows what's up lol

Speaking on his The Joe Rogan Experience MMA Show podcast, UFC commentator Joe Rogan gave a live reaction to the announcement that Valentina Shevchenko will now face Sijara Eubanks and not Joanna Jedrzejczyk, admitting that he doesn’t even know who Sijara Eubanks is.

“What?!” Rogan said. “No offense but I don’t even know who Sijara Eubanks is and I’m the commentator for the UFC.”

i dont even know who she is either, and i watch this chit every weekend when im done reading my GSP books.

this is the main event we've all been asking for!

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Shouldnt even be a main event on a FOX card let alone a PPV card in NY ffs

Ronda shadow boxing would was more interesting as a main event lol

Image result for ronda shadow boxing gif

Look how impressed Joe B is behind her lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1