Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

UFC featherweight champ Max Holloway opens up on struggles with depression

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/ufc-featherweight-champ-max-holloway-opens-up-on-struggles-with-depression/

Max Holloway

The year 2018 has not been particularly kind to UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway. The Hawaiian champ has been scheduled for three fights — a title defense against Frankie Edgar, a last-minute lightweight fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov, and a title defense against Brian Ortega — but not one has come to fruition.

Speaking on Good Show with Ben Ennis & JD Bunkis on Wednesday, Holloway divulged that in the wake of this string of cancelled fights, he’s been battling depression.

“It just helped me as a person realize that sometimes you gotta slow things down to get things back correct,” Max Holloway said (transcript via MMA Fighting). “After this last one I dealt with some depression. I was talking about [NBA star DeMar] DeRozan. DeRozan talked about depression and that really shook me. He said that he wished that everybody was rich, that everybody in the world had money so they could understand that money does not make you happy.

“Depression is real and that really hit me hard. I was going through a phase where I wasn’t talking to no one. Only my son. Me and my son would do stuff but I was talking to no one. If I wanted to you I would call you but if people were reaching out to me I was putting myself away. Since I was in that situation, now I’m able to talk about it and I can tell people that’s not the way to do it. The way to do it is talk to your family, talk to your friends, be with everyone because you don’t know when things can change. Life changes on a dime so live life to the fullest.”

Having struggled with depression, Max Holloway wants to remind his fans that it’s important to talk to the people that care about you when you’re struggling.

“Don’t be scared to look for help,” Holloway said. “Depression is real. . . It’s crazy and all these guys, us athletes, that keep thinking we’re superheroes. I like to think I’m a superhero but superheroes got to fight their demons too sometimes.”

Got to be honest not something I ever expected to hear from Max, the dude constantly looks infectiously happy and positive.

• Like 1

Just now, stehilton94 said:

Did we ever actually find the real reason for his health scare last time out?

Can't confirm but pretty sure quite a few different sources claimed it was due to the weight cut

Just now, Jolldan said:

Can't confirm but pretty sure quite a few different sources claimed it was due to the weight cut

If that is true I am quite shocked he is trying 145 again, surely he should just move up and vacate the belt, sadly I think 145 is in a TERRIBLE position. Top 2 fighters will be moving up soon in Max and Ortega. Aldo too. Frankie will be getting that belt by default soon enough. Even the up and comer is a weight cutting can in Zabit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bwana said:

Depression is an ugly illness, I've watched loved ones struggle with it for years.

Stop hanging around such betas then mate!

That's sarcasm in response to dark horse btw. One of my best buds had it pretty bad for years. People often don't get the difference between depression and feeling sad. Telling someone with depression to cheer up is about as effective as telling a bloke with a broken leg to run it off.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Stop hanging around such betas then mate!

That's sarcasm in response to dark horse btw. One of my best buds had it pretty bad for years. People often don't get the difference between depression and feeling sad. Telling someone with depression to cheer up is about as effective as telling a bloke with a broken leg to run it off.

Troof. It's messed up. It's also true that people as a whole are a little more susceptible to it these days and it's a lot broader because of it. It gets ignored a lot I think because there's a lot of fakexiety out there, people taking advantage of benefits or kindness from others etc cetera but it's the real deal, the numbness drives people to some horrible places. 

Can't wait to see Max back. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

Troof. It's messed up. It's also true that people as a whole are a little more susceptible to it these days and it's a lot broader because of it. It gets ignored a lot I think because there's a lot of fakexiety out there, people taking advantage of benefits or kindness from others etc cetera but it's the real deal, the numbness drives people to some horrible places. 

Can't wait to see Max back. 

Yeah, plus there's still a kind of macho thing around it.  My mate is one of those larger than life characters - 6'9, always the happy, jolly one who you would just never think could be depressed.  He'd only told me about his depression a week or so before i got a text from him sent from the Humber Bridge basically saying goodbye.  This was no Freddie attention seeking; dude stood there for an hour staring into the water trying to pick up the courage to jump.  Thankfully he didn't.  That brought the reality home pretty strongly though.  

So yeah, fair play to Max for opening up, and it will be good to see him back in the cage.

• Like 5

Many don't step forward because of embarrassment and feeling of shame, it's a terrible position when they need help or just an honest talk with somebody...anybody. Life can end in the blink of an eye, and innocent are left to wonder why...very sad some feel they have no options.

• Like 4

If you think depression is a myth you are a ****, real men can admit it, have had a LARGE number of friends commit suicide since I left school, its crazy. I live by a river in which 5 people in 3 years have jumped in. Its not as easy as "Talking about it" either, because their is a strong stigma with it. 90% of suicides in Ireland are by men....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't think being a "real man" has anything to do with it, your brain is far stronger than your body...and they give up. A dark abyss with no way out, from homeless to drug addicts many are victims of depression...and the only way they know to escape.

People **** on mental health issues all the time like they're not a real disease. Believe me working in the ER and seeing all kinds of chit and also dealing with mentally unstable individuals a few times a week from all demographics. 

I just find the people who chit on mental health issues as morons and Neanderthals who can't comprehend reality 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, stehilton94 said:

Did we ever actually find the real reason for his health scare last time out?

im more interested in knowing why the ufc moved him up 3 spots on their pound for pound rankings right after he pulled out of ufc 226.

Edited by -idyb-

Lol love that everyone managed to drop the gimmicks for this thread. 

I'm looking forward to seeing max back and hope he gets sorted because I've witnessed depression in my best pal and it was awful, I'd take a broken leg all day! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1