Sign in to follow this  
sobercuban

UFC 229 estimated at 2.4 million buys

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/ccunningham/ufc-229s-estimated-pay-per-view/

Dave Meltzer of MMAFighting and Wrestling Observer Newsletter has revealed the reported the early estimates for the UFC 229 pay-per-view buy-rate

The current high-mark for the UFC and MMA overall is held by UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor II, which managed to bring in 1.65 million buys – beating the original record of 1.6 million.

Meltzer reports that the early estimates for UFC 229 have absolutely smashed the current record – by a number as great as 800,000.

“Early estimates are more than 2,350,000 buys, with the expectation the number will top 2.4 million

“1.9 million when it comes to traditional PPV, and around 470,000 to 480,000 estimated on streaming buys.”

If this is, in fact, the case, it will place UFC 229 as the fourth highest selling pay-per-view event in combat sports history – losing out to only De La Hoya/Mayweather, Mayweather/McGregor and Mayweather/Pacquiao.

GettyImages-1046918324.jpg

It also means that McGregor was able to bring in a greater number of PPV buys that the nine other UFC PPV events this year combined.

UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor – 2,400,000

UFC 226: Miocic vs. Cormier – 380,000

UFC 220: Miocic vs. Ngannou – 380,000

UFC 223: Nurmagomedov vs. Iaquinta – 350,000

UFC 227: Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt II – 300,000

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya – 260,000

UFC 225: Whittaker vs. Romero – 250,000

UFC 228: Woodley vs. Till – 130,000

UFC 221: Romero vs. Rockhold – 130,000

UFC 224: Nunes vs. Pennington – 85,000

He may have lost, but the drawing power of Conor McGregor continues to astonish.

Cillian Cunningham, Pundit Arena

• Like 3

Another note from Meltzer worth considering when comparing it to boxing events:

Because the nearly 2.4 million number is worldwide, making exact comparisons to the biggest PPVs in history is difficult. It is, by far, the biggest in UFC history. It was well below, on a worldwide basis, fights that did big numbers in both the U.S. and the U.K., since this fight was not on U.K. PPV. McGregor’s future fights starting in 2019 will be on PPV in the U.K.

• Like 2

LEL @ UFC 223

Then Khabib has the nerve to pretend he's important and that he's going to get the guys who attacked the biggest draw in combat sports right now reinstated. What an assclown.

• Like 7

Just now, Bwana said:

Conor's touch, like it or not he's good for the game...everyone got more money.

Nik Lentz, a guy Conor ****ing slated in the past, even said this. Suggested that McGregor has gotten EVERYONE paid more

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stehilton94 said:

Nik Lentz, a guy Conor ****ing slated in the past, even said this. Suggested that McGregor has gotten EVERYONE paid more

Did you see that interview where he said all of that?  Man, Lentz is a weirdo.  

• Like 1

Remember back in 2014 when everybody was saying the UFC was dying and even I was starting to believe it? Then McGregor showed up with a dazzling style of trash talk and basically saved the organization.

• Like 2

Just now, MauroPedrosa said:

Remember back in 2014 when everybody was saying the UFC was dying and even I was starting to believe it? Then McGregor showed up with a dazzling style of trash talk and basically saved the organization.

I feel like PPV numbers have still been in freefall, except for his fights.  

• Like 1

Just now, stehilton94 said:

He has, it's undeniable...I said this the other day, it's just like Tiger Woods,,,love him or not, he raised everyone's pay by %300 easy.

Athletes come that people love to love, and love to hate...either way they drive the market and revenues. People say "who cares ?",,,I care because we get tons of free fights from UFC & Bellator on national TV, that never happened "back in the day" when the sport was frowned upon.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

Yeah I feel like this is the real answer here, Jones, Silva, GSP etc not fighting or being finished has not helped

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sobercuban said:

I'm going to be honest, I used to care about the UFC a lot more a few years ago. I always used to watch every single fight on the main card but now it's more like boxing when only 1 or 2 fights matter.

Since the Fertitta brothers sold it has been a **** show (NewFC)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MauroPedrosa said:

I'm going to be honest, I used to care about the UFC a lot more a few years ago. I always used to watch every single fight on the main card but now it's more like boxing when only 1 or 2 fights matter.

Yeah, I pick and choose events now.  I might just watch main and co-main, depending on the card.  I rarely watch the early prelims at all anymore.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MauroPedrosa said:

I still watch every card but I feel this is completely valid, SOOOO many poor events, main cards, ppv's etc, its all been diluted to basically crap with maybe 1 or 2 cards a year actually worth while

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sobercuban said:

Yeah, I pick and choose events now.  I might just watch main and co-main, depending on the card.  I rarely watch the early prelims at all anymore.  

I still watch most shows, but I don't really care if I see a lot of them live anymore. I'll regularly wait and watch them afterwards where I can skip through the filler and the boring fights.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sobercuban said:

They haven't been good, but I think in the end, this year isn't going to end up as big of a disaster as most people have been saying... They've had four shows over 300,000, plus they'll probably have one more good number for the end of year show (assuming it doesn't fall apart, which is a pretty big assumption about a UFC show at this point), and they had the biggest show in their history.

Ultimately the trend in PPV in general seems to be that the big shows do bigger numbers than ever but the non-big shows do less than ever.

Next year is going to be the real test when they're off broadcast TV completely in the US and a ton of their content is going to be exclusively on a streaming service that only has around 1 million subscribers currently. Going to be really hard to get casual interest in your product under those circumstances.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mcmax3000 said:

They haven't been good, but I think in the end, this year isn't going to end up as big of a disaster as most people have been saying... They've had four shows over 300,000, plus they'll probably have one more good number for the end of year show (assuming it doesn't fall apart, which is a pretty big assumption about a UFC show at this point), and they had the biggest show in their history.

Ultimately the trend in PPV in general seems to be that the big shows do bigger numbers than ever but the non-big shows do less than ever.

Next year is going to be the real test when they're off broadcast TV completely in the US and a ton of their content is going to be exclusively on a streaming service that only has around 1 million subscribers currently. Going to be really hard to get casual interest in your product under those circumstances.

Dana will claim that they made the most revenue ever this year. 

Then he will say the same next year... 

8 hours ago, Mcmax3000 said:

They have basically cut their UK and Irish viewbase off completely with Eleven Sports, it is a pile of wank and is very poor quality

3 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Ticket prices are outrageous and PPVs are $65. Maybe he's not lying?

He may not be lying but he's also making it a bigger deal than what it is. Growth in revenue doesn't really mean much when they are adding extra shows. You will notice how he wasnt bragging about the highest profits ever. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stehilton94 said:

They have basically cut their UK and Irish viewbase off completely with Eleven Sports, it is a pile of wank and is very poor quality

The ESPN+ deal will be good for them in the US I think but every service is going to a subscription. People will get sick of that eventually. 

1 minute ago, juice64011 said:

The ESPN+ deal will be good for them in the US I think but every service is going to a subscription. People will get sick of that eventually. 

There is just too many "Subscriptions" now, Currently to watch simply just football and UFC, we will need Sky Sports, BT Sports, Eleven Sports, UFC Fight Pass and any PPV they now start charging for UFC cards.... its gone too far now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, juice64011 said:

Dana will claim that they made the most revenue ever this year. 

Then he will say the same next year... 

Well, next year they start getting like $300 Million from ESPN, so next year it will probably be true, especially if they get more than one fight out of McGregor.

Also next year, their product might be the least popular it has been in the US since the first season of TUF.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, -idyb- said:

biggest buyrate since gsp vs bisping.

What was the buy rate for that? Remember hearing Bisping saying he got less PPV points than expected after all was said and done. Hell of a card and fight that.

1 hour ago, JSW said:

What was the buy rate for that? Remember hearing Bisping saying he got less PPV points than expected after all was said and done. Hell of a card and fight that.

like a little over 800k.  but it was like the biggest selling event since 229. the viewership is declining, and it doesnt help when theyre putting out so much garbage cards every other weekend and so many garbage ppvs headlined by cans and most of the time one or two of the main fights gets called off cause someone pulls out at the last minute or cant make weight. people are getting burned out from this chit. sooner or later gsp, conor, jon jones, brock lesnar and anderson silva wont be able to save the events and theyll end up selling the business to some rich dude in dubai who will just drive it even further into the ground.

Edited by -idyb-

20 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

You people are obsessed with money because you don't have any.

I bet for every dollar you have I can show you at least two Swedish Krone mate. 

Please don't Google exchange rates...

The UFC only gets about half of that money so $78 million but those were worldwide PPVs and overseas people aren't paying $65. I think Khabib probably got $2 per ppv, conor got considerably more. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, juice64011 said:

The UFC only gets about half of that money so $78 million but those were worldwide PPVs and overseas people aren't paying $65. I think Khabib probably got $2 per ppv, conor got considerably more. 

Almost 500,000 of those were streaming buys, where the UFC gets a higher percentage, so it'll be a bit more than half, but like you said, that might be offset by the fact that some of those people outside the US/Canada paid less (although I would bet the vast majority of the PPV buys came from North America).

3 hours ago, JSW said:

Conor said he expected to make 50m from it. 

For that to be the case he'd have to be getting $19.58 a buy ($19.58 x 2,400,000 is roughly $47 million + $3 million purse = $50 million).  I seriously doubt it's that much but I could be wrong.  But considering PPV providers take half the $$ I don't know how they could afford to give Conor $19.58 of what is left and stay profitable.  

It's gotta be coming from all sources, sponsors and stuff, even then I would literally be shocked it he made anywhere near $50,000,000

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sobercuban said:

For that to be the case he'd have to be getting $19.58 a buy ($19.58 x 2,400,000 is roughly $47 million + $3 million purse = $50 million).  I seriously doubt it's that much but I could be wrong.  But considering PPV providers take half the $$ I don't know how they could afford to give Conor $19.58 of what is left and stay profitable.  

It's gotta be coming from all sources, sponsors and stuff, even then I would literally be shocked it he made anywhere near $50,000,000

That was estimated at 3-3.5m buys lol. Was never going to happen. Take it at 3.5 means (50/3.5)x2.4 = 34m. not bad for a mma fight. 

• Like 1