Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

First US Trip

Image result for new york

I am considering doing my first trip to the US next year by visiting New York.

Looked at flights they came in around £240 and a hotel for four nights was like £178, so roughly £415 in to get over there and get a room.

Few questions to people who either live have lived or have visited there a few times?

1. How much spending money would you recommend for a 4 night/5 day trip?
  2. Is it really expensive to visit popular tourist attractions like The Empire State building, Madison Square Garden and the Statue of Liberty?
  3. Street or Restaurant food?
  4. Areas to avoid?
  5. Any hidden gems that maybe aren't so well known worth a visit?
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, cashfl0w said:

Be prepared to spend a hell of a lot of money. 

Damn, this seems to be the consensus from family I have that have been before.

My only thought was my mum and aunty who had been before enjoy some of the finer things in life lol so I thought maybe them eating out every time while they were there would have made a big difference. Compared to me who will probably just survive of hot dogs and slices of pizza.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Damn, this seems to be the consensus from family I have that have been before.

My only thought was my mum and aunty who had been before enjoy some of the finer things in life lol so I thought maybe them eating out every time while they were there would have made a big difference. Compared to me who will probably just survive of hot dogs and slices of pizza.

The missus wants to go to New York at some point. My fly time would be like an hour and 45 minutes and my flight would still be more expensive than yours. Aircanada bullchit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The amount you spend really has to do with the life style you live.

I would recommend that if you do want to go up on top of the empire state building or top of the rock (Rockefeller plaza) do it on a clear day during the day, you get a better understanding of what the city looks like. 

You can knock out midtown, central park, and the empire state in 1 day, start at empire state, walk up to the rockefeller plaza, do central park, then head back to times square just to see it at night... those are all the places i would also recommend avoiding but since its your first time you may as well check em off the list

Plan your days based on neighborhoods.. i.e. SoHo,  TriBeca, Battery Park, & Financial District + Battery park (could be done in a day) that would round up all your tourist stuff along with the recommendation above.

Spend the rest of your time doing what you enjoy

• Like 1

Nothing against my NY brothers, but that isn't where I'd land a plane if visiting the US...for the 1st time, or the 5th.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Nothing against my NY brothers, but that isn't where I'd land a plane if visiting the US...for the 1st time, or the 5th.

If movies are anything to go buy you might be right, im expecting at least one alien invasion and natural disaster while im there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Was the first trip for the Saudis in 2001 and they got their 72 virgins after their first trip so

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

If movies are anything to go buy you might be right, im expecting at least one alien invasion and natural disaster while im there.

I just don't understand the fascination, a large diverse country with endless choices of weather/fun/exploration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TUF said:

Was the first trip for the Saudis in 2001 and they got their 72 virgins after their first trip so

Wait... have we reached the time when it's legal to make 9/11 jokes?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jolldan said:

Looked at flights they came in around £240 and a hotel for four nights was like £178, so roughly £415 in to get over there and get a room.

Few questions to people who either live have lived or have visited there a few times?

2. Is it really expensive to visit popular tourist attractions like The Empire State building, Madison Square Garden and the Statue of Liberty?
  4. Areas to avoid?

lol, are you planning to stay in Harlem for that rate? I'd maybe temper your expectations on how cheap this will be.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Bwana said:

Nowt wrong with NYC as a first time trip if travelling from Britain.  How many Americans would fly to Britain for a first trip and not fly into and visit London?

I facking hate London, but it's natural for tourists to go there, same as NYC for a Briton/European.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 12er© said:

lol, are you planning to stay in Harlem for that rate? I'd maybe temper your expectations on how cheap this will be.

The place I seen was in China Town. I have incredibly low expectations lol as long as there's a place to put my head at the end of the day im good. I assure you New York has some seriously big boots to fill to take the title of worst hotel I've ever been in :lol:

18 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Wait... have we reached the time when it's legal to make 9/11 jokes?!

Was operating under the "15 years or older, it's not a spoiler" clause anymore. As someone that's about to spend 16 hours on a plane next week, I may have some ragrets. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, StanleyTheBricklayer said:

Nowt wrong with NYC as a first time trip if travelling from Britain.  How many Americans would fly to Britain for a first trip and not fly into and visit London?

I facking hate London, but it's natural for tourists to go there, same as NYC for a Briton/European.

Why ?, you don't live here, nor know NY,,,so why again ?

If I was going to Brazil, I wouldn't visit Rio,,,If Mexico, I wouldn't visit Acapulco,,,If New Zealand, not Rotorua either :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bwana said:

Why ?, you don't live here, nor know NY,,,so why again ?

If I was going to Brazil, I wouldn't visit Rio,,,If Mexico, I wouldn't visit Acapulco,,,If New Zealand, not Rotorua either :)

Why?

For a short trip like 4 days it makes sense, it's a short flight.  Whether you, or anyone else likes the city or not, doesn't detract from the fact that it's an experience.

I do know NYC. I've been a few times. We lived in the States for nearly two years and used every opportunity to travel all over the place. Lots of different States.  With that in mind,  my opinion that NYC is a fine destination for a FIRST TRIP TO THE STATES is a reasonable one.  I'm not just chirping up for the sake of it LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanleyTheBricklayer said:

Why?

For a short trip like 4 days it makes sense, it's a short flight.  Whether you, or anyone else likes the city or not, doesn't detract from the fact that it's an experience.

I do know NYC. I've been a few times. We lived in the States for nearly two years and used every opportunity to travel all over the place. Lots of different States.  With that in mind,  my opinion that NYC is a fine destination for a FIRST TRIP TO THE STATES is a reasonable one.  I'm not just chirping up for the sake of it LOL

That would be the longest 4 days of my life, far too many great locations to pick NY...that's just my honest opinion.

I've traveled far and wide in the US, and you're missing the real culture and people if NY is you dream destination....it's not representative of the real America. Good shopping, sure,,,wonderful food, undoubtedly,,,quality violence and filthy streets, you bet ya.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bringerofrain said:

NY is full of liberals and foreigners you'd have to pay me to go there. 

says the guy who lives in the the US but says Mum and Mog.. go back to europe, we dont want you

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Stockholm >> New York. 

Change my mind. 

Hmm, I've visited both. Neither are my cup of tea. I prefer warm locations close to the sea

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Stockholm >> New York. 

Change my mind. 

Does Stockholm have a 10/10 natural beauty named after it? I don't think so. Check mate. 

Image result for new york reality show star gif

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

says the guy who lives in the the US but says Mum and Mog.. go back to europe, we dont want you

I'm suprised you left your safe place in the premo forum.

Just now, bringerofrain said:

I'm suprised you left your safe place in the premo forum.

everywhere i go is a safe place for me.. im not 5'6 like you squirt

you shouldnt come to NY, you could be mistaken as a 13 year old and kidnapped

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Shkrelz said:

everywhere i go is a safe place for me.. im not 5'6 like you squirt

you shouldnt come to NY, you could be mistaken as a 13 year old and kidnapped

You are in such awe of my physical prowess that you reposted my lifting stats several times as if you thought it was impossible. 

Haven't actually looked at a visa yet better see how much they go for, no actual charges on my record so shouldn't be any trouble to get I imagine.

... prepare for a level of frustration you're not aquainted with, 

I hear the Cotswolds is nice -

I'm from the metropolitan area and it's the last place I would visit, .. it's boring and

the hookers are overpriced -

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bezerker101 said:

... prepare for a level of frustration you're not aquainted with, 

I hear the Cotswolds is nice -

I'm from the metropolitan area and it's the last place I would visit, .. it's boring and

the hookers are overpriced -

Image result for reaction gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MauroPedrosa said:

Hmm, I've visited both. Neither are my cup of tea. I prefer warm locations close to the sea

You have not changed my mind.

• Like 1

Going to Luna in little Italy and Grimaldi’s pizza in Brooklyn are worth the entire price you pay for your entire trip. Taking the tour of the World Trade Center is worth every penny and leaves you completely awestruck. Go have fun. Put the trip on a credit card and don’t pay it off, file bankruptcy or whatever they have over there and go on your merry way.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shkrelz said:

europe dont want him either

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaybird86 said:

Going to Luna in little Italy and Grimaldi’s pizza in Brooklyn are worth the entire price you pay for your entire trip. Taking the tour of the World Trade Center is worth every penny and leaves you completely awestruck. Go have fun. Put the trip on a credit card and don’t pay it off, file bankruptcy or whatever they have over there and go on your merry way.

Do you have a recommended tourguide?

12 hours ago, -idyb- said:

looks like we both punt to asia.. Andywang, do the chinese accept?

14 hours ago, -idyb- said:

One thing I've noticed in Europe is many people smell like absolute butthole. Whats with that? personal hygiene does not seem to be a priority. 

On 10/17/2018 at 6:52 AM, Jolldan said:

4. Areas to avoid?

Dont overtip bro

• Like 1