Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Carla Esparza calls for UFC to create atomweight division, ‘it needs to be brought in!’

https://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/ufc/carla-esparza-calls-for-ufc-to-create-atomweight-division-it-needs-to-be-brought-in/

Seo-Hee-Ham-Jihn-Yu-Frey-Ayaka-Hamasaki

The UFC is currently home to 12 different weight classes. Four of which belong to the female competitors. That’s also four more than was ever expected 10 years ago.

In the UFC, the lowest division for the men is 125-pounds with the flyweight division. For the women, it’s 115-pounds with strawweight. There is a men’s strawweight division outside of the UFC but it’s almost exclusively seen in Asia and unlikely to ever end up in the UFC. As for the women, their lowest division is the 105-pound atomweight division which actually has a pretty solid amount of talent around the world.

It isn’t crazy to imagine the division finding itself in the UFC one day but it doesn’t seem to be something that is really on the minds of anyone. Except for some of the current UFC strawweights. One of which being the inaugural UFC and Invicta strawweight champion, Carla Esparza who recently made it clear that she believes it’s time for the UFC to add a fifth female weight class.

Esparza has always been one of the smaller strawweights which is what made her success all the more impressive. It hasn’t been until more recently where she’s had some trouble being fairly outsized by the likes of her recent opponents Claudia Gadelha and Tatiana Suarez who she both suffered defeat to.

An atomweight division wouldn’t just benefit Esparza though. Perennial top contenders Tecia Torres and Michelle Waterson are also two of the smaller 115ers who don’t cut much weight. As many may remember, Waterson was even the Invicta atomweight champion prior to her signing with the UFC.

When it comes to the female weight classes, the five that range from 105 to 145 are the primary divisions so it really could just be a matter of time before we end up seeing it installed.

Is it time for the UFC to at least start to think about the addition of the 105-pound weight class?

this is jolldan's fault for pushing that 'minimumweight' fighter from Thailand who's gone 51-0 fighting midget cans. 

Now everybody thinks that people who weigh less than Brock's leg should be allowed to fight. 

5 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

this is jolldan's fault for pushing that 'minimumweight' fighter from Thailand who's gone 51-0 fighting midget cans. 

Now everybody thinks that people who weigh less than Brock's leg should be allowed to fight. 

You seems to have a real distain for this little dude lol, why the hate did you get bodied by a little Asian?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

You seems to have a real distain for this little dude lol, why the hate did you get bodied by a little Asian?

Lol, I just don't get how you think someone who is basically the Thailand national champion deserves mentioning in the same breath as Mayweather and Rocky Marciano.  It's like getting excited over someone winning the world squash championships 3 times running.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Lol, I just don't get how you think someone who is basically the Thailand national champion deserves mentioning in the same breath as Mayweather and Rocky Marciano.  It's like getting excited over someone winning the world squash championships 3 times running.

He has literally never fought another Thai fighter lol. 

I never said he was an overal better fighter than either of those two but midget or not doesn’t change the fact that he has managed to reach 51-0 I very much doubt he will even retire undefeated but still deserves some credit for the achievement. 

"I CANT WIN A BELT SO MAKE ME ANOTHER WEIGHTCLASS!!"

proceeds to put the FAKE belt which she won by winning tuf on a scale and photoshopping 105 onto it the scale

NEXT!

• Like 1

Nah. The Featherweight "division" barely exists and the flyweight division has never had a title defense.

Maybe at some point it will be time, but not right now.

1 hour ago, Jolldan said:

He has literally never fought another Thai fighter lol. 

I never said he was an overal better fighter than either of those two but midget or not doesn’t change the fact that he has managed to reach 51-0 I very much doubt he will even retire undefeated but still deserves some credit for the achievement. 

Oh he deserves some credit. Just not very much. Probably not as much as Carla Esparza even

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wimmen are up to the same dumb chit in cutting weight as the gents. This foolishness should be encouraged?  I think not.  No atomweight class.

As this forum's chief defender of WMMA and a big advocator for more weight classes in general I shall give my two cents.

For

• She is smaller. Carla has a point that she is under sized for the division go back and look at her against the likes of Joanna & Tatiana she did simply to be a lot smaller than these girls physically.

Against

• Stretching the talent too thin. The UFC has introduced Featherweight and Flyweight as the two newest divisions Women's divisions. Currently Featherweight is syphoning of Bantamweights to go up against Cyborg one after another and then spitting them out back at Bantamweight after a loss. While Bantamweight and Strawweight are still and adjusting as some women move to the new Flyweight division.
  • The demand isn't there. Michelle Waterson who moved up from Atomweight to fight in the UFC has had decent success since doing so, Carla would need at least a couple more fighters really pushing for it before it can really be considered.
  • Not enough 105 talent. It's hard to make a case for a division when the fighter they currently have ranked as 2nd in the world was released from the UFC Stawweight division after going 1-3.

1 hour ago, Shkrelz said:

a woman who goes by cookie monster usually wont have that much influence over anyone

cupcake, elbow queen,  quiet storm, evil eye, alpha, preacher's daughter, stop it ... I do like the name Thugrose doe

12 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Oh he deserves some credit. Just not very much. Probably not as much as Carla Esparza even

Related image

We still have 2 Women divisions that are in complete startup, adding another would be a disgrace before adding at least several more men MMA divisions. Though... Atomweight women MMA is where all the hotties are at.... thats the bonus I guess