Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Chris Weidman's Protection Against Losses

Related image

Chris started off his career with an incredible 13-0 run, including victories over the like of Anderson Silva x2, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida and Demian Maia. But the last 3 years have been far harder for Weidman going just 1-4 with all four losses coming by KO/TKO.

What is odd is how even on a run like that there aren't many calling for him to retire and even more strange is how there always seems to be an explanation or excuse (not by Weidman personally) for why he lost.

Luke Rockhold Loss

Of the four losses this was probably the most brutal, it was over a round of Chris just getting his face smashed by Luke and easily could have been stopped at the end of he third instead of Chris having to endure the fourth before it being stopped. This was also the All-American's first loss.

Reasoning: Even though Weidman, suffered roughly five minutes of continuous punishment and definitely the worst beating of his professional career up until that point the loss of the fight was simply put down to Chris throwing an ill advised spinning kick.

Yoel Romero Loss

The second straight loss for Weidman, after a first round where Weidman had success with kicks and a second round where Romero took over with counters. The came the third round where Romero landed a highlight reel flying knee to the end the night for Weidman.

Reasoning: The loss itself was sort of swept to one side when Weidman was revealed to believe that he was winning the fight up until the fight ending knee was landed by Romero saying "I thought I was on my way to winning the fight"

Gegard Mousasi

By far the weirdest one on the list after a back and fourth first round Mousasi came out more aggressive and landed some decent shots before catching Weidman with two big knees, that brought a stop to the fight.

Reasoning: All blame was removed from Weidman and placed on referee Dan Miragliotta for stopping the fight initially, even though Weidman looked unable to continue after the two initial knees.

Jacare Souza Loss

A great back and fourth fight with Weidman taking the 1st and Souza talking the 2nd, with everything left to play for Souza gets the TKO in the 3rd.

Reasoning: The latest loss is again largely being overlooked by a lot of the MMA media with many others choosing to focus of how good Weidman looked in that fight up until he got finished.

Why do you think Weidman get's off with losses?

When do you think this will stop?

Edited by Jolldan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Chris started off his career with an incredible 13-0 run, including victories over the like of Anderson Silva x2, Vitor Belfort, Lyoto Machida and Demian Maia. But the last 3 years have been far harder for Weidman going just 1-4 with all four losses coming by KO/TKO.

What is odd is how even on a run like that there aren't many calling for him to retire and even more strange is how there always seems to be an explanation or excuse (not by Weidman personally) for why he lost.

Luke Rockhold Loss

Of the four losses this was probably the most brutal, it was over a round of Chris just getting his face smashed by Luke and easily could have been stopped at the end of he third instead of Chris having to endure the fourth before it being stopped. This was also the All-American's first loss.

Reasoning: Even though Weidman, suffered roughly five minutes of continuous punishment and definitely the worst beating of his professional career up until that point the loss of the fight was simply put down to Chris throwing an ill advised spinning kick.

Yoel Romero Loss

The second straight loss for Weidman, after a first round where Weidman had success with kicks and a second round where Romero took over with counters. The came the third round where Romero landed a highlight reel flying knee to the end the night for Weidman.

Reasoning: The loss itself was sort of swept to one side when Weidman was revealed to believe that he was winning the fight up until the fight ending knee was landed by Romero saying "I thought I was on my way to winning the fight"

Gegard Mousasi

By far the weirdest one on the list after a back and fourth first round Mousasi came out more aggressive and landed some decent shots before catching Weidman with two big knees, that brought a stop to the fight.

Reasoning: All blame was removed from Weidman and placed on referee Dan Miragliotta for stopping the fight initially, even though Weidman looked unable to continue after the two initial knees.

Jacare Souza Loss

A great back and fourth fight with Weidman taking the 1st and Souza talking the 2nd, with everything left to play for Souza gets the TKO in the 3rd.

Reasoning: The latest loss is again largely being overlooked by a lot of the MMA media with many others choosing to focus of how good Weidman looked in that fight up until he got finished.

Why do you think Weidman get's off with losses?

... the exploitation started after the Romero knee

When do you think this will stop ?

.... when he accepts reality, he's 35 and never gonna be a legit belt-holder,

how old would he be if he gets a belt and defends it twice ? .. ridiculous

Weidman is just an 'ok' fighter who happened to be in the right place at the right time back when Anderson, Machida and Vitor were relevant.

He and his fans believed too much on him as a 'super fighter' because he beat some downhill old farts and even those wins can be argued:

1. Anderson I: Dude acted like a clown and I still believe Anderson could had cruised to a UD if he fought a bit more serious.

2. Anderson II: An accident happened. One of the most nasty injuries in MMA.

3. Machida: Not a dominant performance at all considering he just beat Anderson.

4. Vitor: Started getting beat on his feet until he shoot for ankles (smart move).

Lets not forget a subject nobody is talking about either: Post USADA Weidman is sucking badly .. coincidence ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

Weidman is just an 'ok' fighter who happened to be in the right place at the right time back when Anderson, Machida and Vitor were relevant.

He and his fans believed too much on him as a 'super fighter' because he beat some downhill old farts and even those wins can be argued:

1. Anderson I: Dude acted like a clown and I still believe Anderson could had cruised to a UD if he fought a bit more serious.

2. Anderson II: An accident happened. One of the most nasty injuries in MMA.

3. Machida: Not a dominant performance at all considering he just beat Anderson.

4. Vitor: Started getting beat on his feet until he shoot for ankles (smart move).

Lets not forget a subject nobody is talking about either: Post USADA Weidman is sucking badly .. coincidence ?

Yea anderson was past his prime and fighting bums at LHW, Machida was also past it and vitor has always suffered with inconcistancy

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PunchBag said:

Yea anderson was past his prime and fighting bums at LHW, Machida was also past it and vitor has always suffered with inconcistancy

Exactly m8.

Im not hating on Weidman but he never beat anyone 'fresh' and hungry if you think about it.

3 hours ago, skillandpower said:

.. and I think Anderson beats him if they would fight again.

You stole my take!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Taylor_Schonerstedt said:

At the beginning of his UFC career he fought guys on their way out now hes fighting real contenders!

Simple as that.

^^^This.  To answer the OP, it stops when he retires.

1 hour ago, Taylor_Schonerstedt said:

At the beginning of his UFC career he fought guys on their way out now hes fighting real contenders!

Simple as that.

Best answer so far. 

He fought aged fighters on their way out, none of the guys he fought until Luke were in their primes. He has looked completely different since USADA also, if that is just because of Age I do not know but he has not looked the same at all. Weidman has legit lost to all fighters he has faced whom are actual title contenders. Gastelum was a spanner in the works and made Weidman look like he was back, but in reality, Gastelum was smashing Weidman and just failed to finish it and Weidman who is 6'2 managed to beat a fighter who is 5'9

• Like 1

Other than Gegard,he is just too small and tires out because of it.His power is also suspect,either that or Jacare is on something during his fights because he was walking right through Chris's punches.

Chris's corner is also not very good.I feel they are likely good in training camp but not in the ring.Dude's advice was go after him,basically saying balls to the wall and he paid for it.

Chris has to take breaks,he seems to tire kind of easily.His strategy to run all the time is VERY tiring,i hate fighters who do that.He has to learn to duck and weave and then if too risky simply tie up his opponent.

In that fight,i really liked his jab work but then soon he was pressured he would turn and run and use way too much energy.

Edited by zaksame