Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Pakistan blasphemy case: Asia Bibi freed from jail

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-46130189

Image result for asia bibi protest

Asia Bibi, a Pakistani Christian woman acquitted of blasphemy after spending eight years on death row, has been freed from prison.

Last week's Supreme Court ruling sparked violent protests from Islamists and the government agreed to their demand to stop her leaving Pakistan. News of her release led to some confusion, with reports she had been taken to another country but the foreign office later said she was still in Pakistan.

The case is highly sensitive and Information Minister Fawad Hussein said journalists had been "extremely irresponsible" in reporting she had left the country without official confirmation.

The mother-of-five was released from prison in the city of Multan on Wednesday and it remains unclear exactly where she is. Also known as Asia Noreen, she was convicted in 2010 of insulting the Prophet Muhammad during a row with neighbours.

The Pakistani government has said it will start legal proceedings to prevent her going abroad after agreeing the measure to end the violent protests.

Many of the protesters were hardliners who support strong blasphemy laws and called for Asia Bibi to be hanged.

One Islamist leader said all three Supreme Court judges also "deserved to be killed".

A spokesman for the hardline Tehreek-e-Labaik (TLP) party, which blocked roads in major cities for several days, said Asia Bibi's release was in breach of their deal with the government. "The rulers have showed their dishonesty," TLP spokesman Ejaz Ashrafi told Reuters.

The deal also saw officials agree not to block a petition for the Supreme Court to evaluate Asia Bibi's acquittal in the light of Islamic Sharia law.

What was Asia Bibi accused of?

Related image

The trial stems from an argument Asia Bibi had with a group of women in June 2009.

They were harvesting fruit when a row broke out about a bucket of water. The women said that because she had used a cup, they could no longer touch it, as her faith had made it unclean.

Prosecutors alleged that in the row which followed, the women said Asia Bibi should convert to Islam and that she made offensive comments about the Prophet Muhammad in response.

She was later beaten up at her home, during which her accusers say she confessed to blasphemy. She was arrested after a police investigation.

Acquitting her, the Supreme Court said that the case was based on unreliable evidence and her confession was delivered in front of a crowd "threatening to kill her".

Why is this case so divisive?

Islam is Pakistan's national religion and underpins its legal system. Public support for the strict blasphemy laws is strong.

Hard-line politicians have often backed severe punishments, partly as a way of shoring up their support base.

The vast majority of those convicted are Muslims or members of the Ahmadi community, but since the 1990s scores of Christians have been convicted. They make up just 1.6% of the population.

The Christian community has been targeted by numerous attacks in recent years, leaving many feeling vulnerable to a climate of intolerance.

Since 1990, at least 65 people have reportedly been killed in Pakistan over claims of blasphemy.

Image result for religion of peace meme

11 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Hillary probably had her Pakistani mystery man pull some strings.

Has to be a democrat connection! I heard Obama set up the Mayweather fake fight story!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, classicboxer said:

Has to be a democrat connection! I heard Obama set up the Mayweather fake fight story!

You realize that was a joke, right dipchit?

8 hours ago, classicboxer said:

Haha

Do you need glasses?

No, but you need better lines. 

One day I might understand one. Keep trying.

wait a minute,  they want her dead because she doesnt believe in their god?

damn. this kind of chit wouldnt happen in a first world country.  especially in 2018 during a time where when we can identify as a pangender on our passports, worship the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and walk around wearing a colander on our heads.  we dont have to worry about what we decide to identify as or what god we decide to worship (or his noodly appendage). if anybody has a problem with that, we will complain and then they will get arrested for hate crimes, and we won't be getting the guillotine, hanged, or burned at the stake.

civilization and society has really came a long way until that day when vert came crawling out of the womb. now it seems to be going in reverse.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Not liking my humor is reasonable, but when you say you don't understand you're kind of admitting stupidity.

39 minutes ago, classicboxer said:

Not liking my humor is reasonable, but when you say you don't understand you're kind of admitting stupidity.

Or maybe telling you that you're stupid  since I'm not even the only one who says that to you. One or the other.

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

Or maybe telling you that you're stupid  since I'm not even the only one who says that to you. One or the other.

I will stand by this statement: I am basically just pointing out inconsistencies in your posts, you are just basically saying "you suck, you're an idiot", with no substance to back it up.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:28 AM, cashfl0w said:

6 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

13 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Do we really need to have these exchanges?

We don't need to have "these" exchanges!

Just now, cashfl0w said:

I eagerly await having a worthwhile conversation with you. Some day, I hope.

You can't have a worthwhile conversation when you don't listen to the other party in the conversation.

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2018 at 8:19 AM, classicboxer said:

On 11/8/2018 at 8:28 AM, cashfl0w said:

I broke you with my first post! Another victory!