Sign in to follow this  
brunofr418

Are you guys happy with your current job?

Are you happy with your current job?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with your current job? did you go to college or university for your current job?

• yes and yes
    • yes and no
    • no and yes
    • no and no

Little bit of a personal question but, are those of you who have jobs at the moment happy with them? also did you go to school for what you are doing now? i'm honestly curious to see how many of you guys went to school for something, ended up in the workforce you intended to, and are still unhappy with your job. also this can be used as a place to vent about chit jobs 

• Like 1

I am but I feel 8ve accomplished everything I can in it so I'm getting my Masters to become a Radiologist Assistant. My job will be way less hands on and to be honest I will probably hate being the radiologist bit*h but it pays better and for a little while at least I'll be learning the ropes all over again. I'm excited about it but yes, I love the job I currently do.

• Like 2

I'm a self employed semi retired general contractor with an extremely wide and varied skill set and I love what I do, mainly because no two days are the same or rarely so but more importantly, no one gets to tell me what to do. Back in Blighty, a long long time ago, I started as a one man band mainly laying patio's and block paving. I started employing more and more people to keep up with demand and eventually, over the years it morphed into a business with three separate branches.

At that point my life became a living hell. No amount of money can compensate for the crap that comes with being a business owner. It's like having a ever growing child and that child has to be fed constantly. And don't even get me started on government over regulation and the excessive tax burden, lol. I've got many friends who own businesses and they take it in their stride but me, I hated it. I guess i'm happy when i'm getting my hands dirty, not sitting in an office or having endless meetings.

As for qualifications, I've got my papers as a carpenter and as a bricklayer which is my base but I've always found it easy to pick up the skills and the know how pertaining to other trades, a trait which has stood me in good stead over the years and has allowed me to accept and overcome ever more complex challenges.

Edited by TwennyFo
  • Like 5

For the first time in my life yes. Teaching was extremely fulfilling in a lot of ways but because of my inner perfectionist it was killing me. 

Now I'm doing a job that's a good challenge and is paying extremely well in comparison. Feeling good. 

• Like 3

Currently I'm doing a few things which is generally my way but I enjoy my day to day interactions and freedom on the road at the moment (I'm a BDM/manager for a small to medium distribution company)

I still do some freelance travel stuff and and occasionally help my former colleague with tour management which is just for extra cash.

I'm averaging 38 hours a fortnight volunteering for CFS / SES (country fire and state emergency services) which is basically your version of first responders and search and rescue - the plan is to apply for Metro Fire in July next year which if I get in is a career for life and a goal of mine for a long time I know I'll love. 

TL/DR version - I enjoy what I'm doing currently but it's not fulfilling -  but I am working towards what hopefully will be :)

• Like 1

Finished university 22 years ago. Planned to take a year out and then become a chemistry teacher. In my year out I got a temp job with a local blue chip company who had a factory nearby. Did a lot of faxing and photocopying. 

Fast forward 22 years and I'm still with that company, working in Sweden at HQ. Really enjoy my job but have never remotely planned any of it. Surprising how far being affable can get you. Very glad I didn't become a chemistry teacher. 

• Like 3

No. Terrible working conditions. No paid holidays. They limit our internet usage if we don't get our chores done. Being a stay at home son is not recommended. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Finished university 22 years ago. Planned to take a year out and then become a chemistry teacher. In my year out I got a temp job with a local blue chip company who had a factory nearby. Did a lot of faxing and photocopying. 

Fast forward 22 years and I'm still with that company, working in Sweden at HQ. Really enjoy my job but have never remotely planned any of it. Surprising how far being affable can get you. Very glad I didn't become a chemistry teacher. 

I'm debating on getting my PhD in Chemistry. But I don't think at this point I can suffer through 4-5 more years of schooling. I should have just done that once I got my Bachelors degree but chose the PA route. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TwennyFo said:

I'm a self employed semi retired general contractor with an extremely wide and varied skill set and I love what I do, mainly because no two days are the same or rarely so but more importantly, no one gets to tell me what to do. Back in Blighty, a long long time ago, I started as a one man band mainly laying patio's and block paving. I started employing more and more people to keep up with demand and eventually, over the years it morphed into a business with three separate branches.

At that point my life became a living hell. No amount of money can compensate for the crap that comes with being a business owner. It's like having a ever growing child and that child has to be fed constantly. And don't even get me started on government over regulation and the excessive tax burden, lol. I've got many friends who own businesses and they take it in their stride but me, I hated it. I guess i'm happy when i'm getting my hands dirty, not sitting in an office or having endless meetings.

As for qualifications, I've got my papers as a carpenter and as a bricklayer which is my base but I've always found it easy to pick up the skills and the know how pertaining to other trades, a trait which has stood me in good stead over the years and has allowed me to accept and overcome ever more complex challenges.

Yea i get what you're saying. my father always owned restaurants while i was growing up and i could just see how taxing it was on him 

• Like 1

so basically the reason i started this thread is because, like most 18 year olds, i'm trying to figure out what i wanna do in life. im currently enrolled in college and majoring in film. people always said do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life so thats what im doing. what scares me the most is how theres almost no rhyme or reason to why certain directors get picked up by studios. great film makers can go there whole career making indie films and barely making any profit, while chit directors get picked up to do the latest installment in a long running franchise. i work part time at my dads resturant learning the business incase all the film stuff falls through. basically im just scared to waste my parents money and to spend my whole career in obscurity. sorry for the rant 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, classicboxer said:

The work ethic of today's young people sucks!

Tell us more about the work ethic back in your day old timer 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I am but currently in a job I don’t plan for staying long. I’m a brewer, just left a brewery because it was falling apart so took a job elsewhere whilst waiting to find another brewing job. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, classicboxer said:

You mean you being one social security for the next 30 years and getting back $100k more than you paid in makes you a better person than us???

• Like 3

2 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I'm debating on getting my PhD in Chemistry. But I don't think at this point I can suffer through 4-5 more years of schooling. I should have just done that once I got my Bachelors degree but chose the PA route. 

PhD is research mostly, but you won't be paid as much as any job you already have, best decision is always to do it before you have a real job, otherwise the pay-cut makes it less appealing :P

I am happy at my new job, more than happy I would say satisfied, but close enough. And I did go to college for it (finished my PhD this year, yay me)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brunofr418 said:

. people always said do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

The truest words ever spoken m8 and the most important words you'll ever hear.

Regards making it in the film industry:

My sister was/is a truly gifted artist who's work eventually got picked up on by the London "in" crowd so that was it, fame and fortune beckoned so off she went to the big city to be paraded around the big galleries. She found it to be full of pretentious people willing to stab each other in the back to get ahead, she hated the way they would fawn over each other too so she left to come home. Had she stayed and played their game she may well have become a household name, who knows.  She gave up on art altogether through illness and depression eventually but from the stories she told i'd have to say there's an element of politics and in fighting spread across all of the arts including film making.

All that being said a lot depends on your definition of "making it." Many people work in film and television and are completely happy with the station they have reached and they haven't had to sell their soul to get there. As in all branches of life by definition only a very few get to reach the very top but, talent, hard work, and perseverance, will still, and always will, get you an awful long way.

Anyways here's some stuff I learned along the way.

Never, ever, be afraid to fail. If people try to knock you down take it as a sign you're doing something right. Once you've found your thing you're either all in or not at all, no half measures no plan B. A little bit of "**** em all" goes a long long way, lol. 

Here's the TL:DR version

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF !!!!!!!! (but always do your research, lol)

Edited by TwennyFo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TwennyFo said:

The truest words ever spoken m8 and the most important words you'll ever hear.

Regards making it in the film industry:

My sister was/is a truly gifted artist who's work eventually got picked up on by the London "in" crowd so that was it, fame and fortune beckoned so of she went to the big city to be paraded around the big galleries. She found it to be full of pretentious people willing to stab each other in the back to get ahead, she hated the way they would fawn over each other too so she left to come home. Had she stayed and played their game she may well have become a household name, who knows.  She gave up on art altogether through illness and depression eventually but from the stories she told i'd have to say there's an element of that spread across all of the arts including film making.

All that being said a lot depends on your definition of "making it." Many people work in film and television and are completely happy with the station they have reached and they haven't had to sell their soul to get there. As in all branches of life by definition only a very few get to reach the very top but talent, hard work, and perseverance, still, and always will, get you an awful long way.

Anyways here's some stuff I learned along the way.

Never, ever, be afraid to fail. If people try to knock you down take it as a sign you're doing something right. Once you've found your thing you're either all in or not at all, no half measures. A little bit of "**** em all" goes a long long way, lol. 

Here's the TL:DR version

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF !!!!!!!!

Art is hella tricky to be successful at without selling yourself out and basically becoming a niche meme of your work. Most of the successful artists it's not based so much on talent, creativity, etc. It's more just honing an architypical style that has universal appeal then marketing the hell out of it like it's fresh then doubling down on that until all the life of the process is completely dead & your art is basically a McDonalds like facade until you can reach a F U kinda status of recognition with more freedom to do whatever strikes your fancy and by that point you're a slave to a gimmick. A lot of famous artist sub-contract out work having other artist work for them once they've built a name. It's a pretty a gross popularity contest built on exploitation, theft of ideas, back stabbing crabs in a bucket mentality. 

The world doesn't appreciate good things like high truth or fine art. The world craves intrigue, mystery and illusions. Plus there is so much noise and garbage out there it becomes this one up game where the most outrageous to stick out from the crowd are the ones that get noticed. Becomes way more about obtaining the status & attention instead of dedication to the art & craft. 

Actors, musicians comedians etc. all go through that especially.  It's more a popularity contest, who you know in important people circles and getting enough eyes on you becoming a fk'ing cheap brand for mass consumption or getting in with high society if you're lucky enough to meet and network with those expensive people lol who just so happen to be some of the most vapid uninteresting mofo's on planet earth so you almost have to become that to get to a certain level. 

More or less to really make it as an artist you have to be dedicated to becoming a cheap brand and a product selling out which kills the passion for the artistry. Anyway i feel your sis on that big time. 

The problem with doing what you love is often you have to completely sell out and fake it till you make it and by the time you do what's to love? Money, fame, popularity, not being true to yourself because you're trying to sell an illusion? Really easy to fall into that trap and lol you can keep all that BS for that price. 

/rant

• Like 2

I went through 4 years of Uni to get my BA Hons in Business and I.T. , there was literally no jobs in Ireland when I finished and I was doing Game Testing for another 3 years after college, **** money **** job, just started my new job as a sort of "Business Grower"? for a business owner who is expanding into another industry, week 1 will end tomorrow and so far I have created a website, built a marketing strategy, worked reception for his other business and made sales in that business too. It has been a bit of an odd week to be honest, I have had days where I have 3-4 hours at a time with literally nothing to do waiting for the boss to do something so I can move on.

• Like 4

Yes and no (let me explain).

I work with property management (managing apartments). Here in Nevada you really dont need to have a 'degree' for it.

I hate the industry but at this point in my life I rather stick with it.

Hate dealing with stupid renters, etc. Pay is actually 'ok' 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

Yes and no (let me explain).

I work with property management (managing apartments). Here in Nevada you really dont need to have a 'degree' for it.

I hate the industry but at this point in my life I rather stick with it.

Hate dealing with stupid renters, etc. Pay is actually 'ok' 

For my Thesis I had to build a Online Property Management Website that would put you poor bastards out of Business, Sorry 😂

Wasn't happy with my old job - Did not attend school for what I was doing.  

Now my job is to graduate with an Engineering degree so I can go do what I want.  Almost to the halfway mark.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

Wasn't happy with my old job - Did not attend school for what I was doing.  

Now my job is to graduate with an Engineering degree so I can go do what I want.  Almost to the halfway mark.  

Good choice of Degree, lots of work world wide for Engineers

• Like 1

@StompGrind Pretty much the feels I got from my sister m8, I just couldn't be arsed to go into so much detail, lol.

Here's the key. If you love what you do, doesn't matter what that may be, you've made it and you'll never work a day in your life. If what you do pays well, or at least well enough to meet your needs with a little bit on top, well, that's the cherry on top of the cake right there.

Congratulations. You are now officially a success !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brunofr418 said:

so basically the reason i started this thread is because, like most 18 year olds, i'm trying to figure out what i wanna do in life. im currently enrolled in college and majoring in film. people always said do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life so thats what im doing. what scares me the most is how theres almost no rhyme or reason to why certain directors get picked up by studios. great film makers can go there whole career making indie films and barely making any profit, while chit directors get picked up to do the latest installment in a long running franchise. i work part time at my dads resturant learning the business incase all the film stuff falls through. basically im just scared to waste my parents money and to spend my whole career in obscurity. sorry for the rant 

Keep doing you, it’s your life and your happiness.  

It doesn’t matter if it’s film or a job waiting tables at an exclusive restaurant, it’s all in who you know.  You wanna land that big gig you better start networking and hope you get lucky rubbing shoulders with the right person.  Or slap on some lipstick because there’s another way to work up the ladder in that business .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TwennyFo said:

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF !!!!!!!! (but always do your research, lol)

thanks man, this is what i needed to hear

• Like 1

i've already started doing a bit of networking. by sheer coincidence i was able to meet an executive producer for a t.v show that was being filmed in my area. i worked on set for about a week just to get a feel for what it would be like in the industry. i was basically at the very bottom of the totem pole and used as a gopher for 10-16 hours a day in the blistering streets of brooklyn in the summer. but no matter what they asked me to i do i always put my all into it and did it with a smile. even the most mundane tasks. working my **** off like that really helped me out as i still get texts from a few of the producers from the show asking me if im looking to work. i usually turn them down as im just trying to focus on school at the moment and i wouldnt really be able to do that if im working 13 hours a day 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, classicboxer said:

9 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

You mean you being one social security for the next 30 years and getting back $100k more than you paid in makes you a better person than us???

Wat? What does that have to do with work ethic?

PS

You're fooking 18

Calm down a bit. If I could tell my 18 year old self something now, it would be to travel. Take at the very minimum a year or 18 months and get your passport and get an open ended round the world ticket. Get a loan for it, you'll pay it back in time. If you're into the arts then expand your mind with different cultures. Hell learn another language. Diversify yourself. Enjoy life. Absolutely do NOT stress about your lifes career. You might find what you love in some city you've never heard of. 

• Like 4

I studied to be a music teacher and I was just 3 classes from getting my degree until I hit a road block in my life.  Long story short - I did not finish my degree and I went into depression for the next few years, followed by a few more years of mid-life crisis.  It was then that I debated to go back to college or simply find an entry level position and work my way up.  Going back to college proved to be too expensive and not feasible.  They wanted me to retake some classes in addition to the classes I needed which amounted to 2 semesters.  I said forget it and I struggled and finally landed a casino job which pays pretty good money.  I am a part time supervisor now and I will be eligible for full time supervisor in about a year.  The job is the easiest job I've ever had and also the highest paying job I've ever had...so I'm not complaining despite not accomplishing what I originally set out to do which was to teach music. 

Edited by Jason_H.
  • Like 1

5 quarters college, 6 months tech school, all basically wasted in the late '60s.  After a couple worthless jobs worked 5 months at a Burger King before becoming a lifelong Government hack.  16 years with City of Detroit, then got married and moved to FL, 9 month break before hooking up with Uncle Sam.  Retired in February after 31 years.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, JSW said:

I am but currently in a job I don’t plan for staying long. I’m a brewer, just left a brewery because it was falling apart so took a job elsewhere whilst waiting to find another brewing job. 

No offense m8, but brewing craft or BMC, and what styles?

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pjbear05 said:

No offense m8, but brewing craft or BMC, and what styles?

Craft.

Ranged from all sorts. Wits, sasions, ipa, stouts (Imp, breakfast and just good old stout), sours, gose, porter, pales, apa’s, fruit. The range really. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 1:41 PM, stehilton94 said:

For my Thesis I had to build a Online Property Management Website that would put you poor bastards out of Business, Sorry 😂

I honestly couldnt careless about this industry going away but how this website would work ?

You do understand that you need a person (not an app) to make apartments inspections, get hold of contractors to fix issues, sign lease agreements with renters, address and enforce community policies, file for evictions, go to court, etc .. right ?

As for 'Onine Property Management Website' yeah there are many out there and they usually only help with the booking, rent collection, paying bills, etc.

9 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

I honestly couldnt careless about this industry going away but how this website would work ?

You do understand that you need a person (not an app) to make apartments inspections, get hold of contractors to fix issues, sign lease agreements with renters, address and enforce community policies, file for evictions, go to court, etc .. right ?

As for 'Onine Property Management Website' yeah there are many out there and they usually only help with the booking, rent collection, paying bills, etc.

It basically was the hub to do everything for you, landlords and tenants had their own accounts, could upload lease agreements, send eviction notices, pay rent, bills etc, schedule maintenance, literally the only thing that would need to be hand done was the maintenance and the actual eviction itself, which there was also a log in for maintenance contractors so they would only have to show up when **** was needed and would not have to be on permanent payroll, completely voided property management employees, worked well too, had it running for 6 months

4 minutes ago, stehilton94 said:

It basically was the hub to do everything for you, landlords and tenants had their own accounts, could upload lease agreements, send eviction notices, pay rent, bills etc, schedule maintenance, literally the only thing that would need to be hand done was the maintenance and the actual eviction itself, which there was also a log in for maintenance contractors so they would only have to show up when **** was needed and would not have to be on permanent payroll, completely voided property management employees, worked well too, had it running for 6 months

Interesting.

1 hour ago, skillandpower said:

Interesting.

I'd take skill and power over that fake **** any day of the week 

• Like 2

On 11/16/2018 at 1:00 AM, OzStraya said:

PS

You're fooking 18

Calm down a bit. If I could tell my 18 year old self something now, it would be to travel. Take at the very minimum a year or 18 months and get your passport and get an open ended round the world ticket. Get a loan for it, you'll pay it back in time. If you're into the arts then expand your mind with different cultures. Hell learn another language. Diversify yourself. Enjoy life. Absolutely do NOT stress about your lifes career. You might find what you love in some city you've never heard of. 

What Oz forgot to add in this, is that you could also find love while traveling. On a trip to the states a few years back, oz came across a beautiful oceanic habitat in San Diego called Sea World. It was there where he met his love. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BART-O-LINI said:

What Oz forgot to add in this, is that you could also find love while traveling. On a trip to the states a few years back, oz came across a beautiful oceanic habitat in San Diego called Sea World. It was there where he met his love. 

Still jealous you couldn't land Shamu?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BART-O-LINI said:

Lol

You should travel too. You might find a life