Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BarbaricBob

Holly Holm vs Aspen Ladd added to UFC 235

Recommended Posts

I think ESPN should make one or two cards of strictly womens fights, and leave the men on cards to themselves.

There would be a massive ratings difference. I guarantee it. Nobody wants to watch that fight in the OP. And those two are actually two of the better fighters out there in the womens game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Nobody wants to watch that fight in the OP. And those two are actually two of the better fighters out there in the womens game.

Now that Ronda's gone there's not even appeal to casuals. When Ronda was smashing soccer moms, every female on the planet was a fan. Now there aren't many casual female fans, and the few women I know who follow the sport don't like to watch women fight. Lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarbaricBob said:

Now that Ronda's gone there's not even appeal to casuals. When Ronda was smashing soccer moms, every female on the planet was a fan. Now there aren't many casual female fans, and the few women I know who follow the sport don't like to watch women fight. Lol. 

I'm just going to call it like I see here.... I honestly believe there was something more intriguing for the casual fan about a mildly attractive woman being tough. 

It's not as exciting watching a bulldog like Cyborg pound on women. And until there's full divisions of women like that, the sport will remain a second rate version of the male sport. Much slower, much less technical, much less violent. That's just reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

I'm just going to call it like I see here.... I honestly believe there was something more intriguing for the casual fan about a mildly attractive woman being tough. 

It's not as exciting watching a bulldog like Cyborg pound on women. And until there's full divisions of women like that, the sport will remain a second rate version of the male sport. Much slower, much less technical, much less violent. That's just reality.

But, but Rhonda grabbed arms and the UFC told me she was the greatest fighter ever.

Are you calling them a liar?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All hate for the casual fan aside, Ronda actually did beat a lot of the top ranked women at the time, and made it look pretty easy.

Yes, they deliberately kept her away from Cyborg. Yes, they fed her women they thought she could beat, including Holly Holm which obviously backfired. But when she's selling the most PPVs, you do what you have to do to keep the money rolling in. It's that simple. Why do you think they're not protecting Nunes from Cyborg? Because she doesn't sell PPVs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

All hate for the casual fan aside, Ronda actually did beat a lot of the top ranked women at the time, and made it look pretty easy.

Yes, they deliberately kept her away from Cyborg. Yes, they fed her women they thought she could beat, including Holly Holm which obviously backfired. But when she's selling the most PPVs, you do what you have to do to keep the money rolling in. It's that simple. Why do you think they're not protecting Nunes from Cyborg? Because she doesn't sell PPVs.

The should let Cyborg f*ck off overseas. She makes everyone look awful and she can't sell for chit either. If it is all about money then she is killing the business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like the direction they're going. Mighty Mouse getting shipped out, etc.

I'm okay with that. I like that they're stacking the cards early on ESPN too. They need to get back to different grades of cards. Not piling ten terrible fights on an event with three meaningful fights. Just put all the good worthwhile fights on one card a month, and the trash on the other two or three cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Seems like the direction they're going. Mighty Mouse getting shipped out, etc.

I'm okay with that. I like that they're stacking the cards early on ESPN too. They need to get back to different grades of cards. Not piling ten terrible fights on an event with three meaningful fights. Just put all the good worthwhile fights on one card a month, and the trash on the other two or three cards.

Man, you know as well as I do they are ONLY doing that right now to hook viewers. Give it about 3 cards and then it will be business as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah. That Prague card got Blachowicz vs. Santos for a main event. I think it was Struve vs. Rogerio de Lima as a co-main too. That event is gonna ****ing atrocious.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 4:26 PM, BarbaricBob said:

Holm shadowboxes while shouting her to death.

Yeah sadly how she or her coaching has not seen this as a flaw of WASTED energy is beyond me.It is not even like they are feints,they are just wasting energy accomplishing nothing.

She has not evolved at all for a VERY long time so i feel sorry for her because with her strength and size and cardio,she should be undefeated and nearly unbeatable but lousy coaching has her as just barely above avg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting fight. I think Holm outpoints her en route to a UD victory, but this could be one of those fights where the person taking the L ends up better for it. Ladd seems more accustomed to fighting opponents who are willing to engage and tie up - basically the opposite of Holly.

It's also one generation competing against the other in some respects. Ladd is 23 years old (she'll turn 24 the day before the fight) and Holm is 37. Obviously, one is at the very beginning of her career while the other is in the twilight years. Think about it this way - When Holm took her first pro MMA bout, Ladd was 16 years old. When Holm had her first pro boxing match, Ladd was 7. Modern MMA has been around long enough that we're finally seeing the original female fighters hang up the gloves. It seems that the UFC really wants to build Ladd and after she passed her last test with Evinger, it's time to give her a former champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Pretty clear to me that if Holm wins she is getting the next shot on Amanda.

Amazing how clearly wmma is dying.

 

It doesn't help that Amanda Nunes is the least relatable person on the planet. She's a butch lesbian that doesn't live in her native country, and she has the thickest, weirdest accent I've ever heard.

Her best hope, and probably WMMA's best hope for ever gaining traction whatsoever, is for Nunes to go Full Colby Covington and just start bashing Americans. lol

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

It doesn't help that Amanda Nunes is the least relatable person on the planet. She's a butch lesbian that doesn't live in her native country, and she has the thickest, weirdest accent I've ever heard.

Her best hope, and probably WMMA's best hope for ever gaining traction whatsoever, is for Nunes to go Full Colby Covington and just start bashing Americans. lol

Yeah I agree with you.

I gotta a feeling somehow New FC will try to advertise her sexual choice (homosexual) to try to reach new fans (homosexual new fans may go on board with it).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holm should can her whole team and find a better one before her career has ended and she still has a chance to get the belt back.She has been a very predictable stagnant fighter since about her first fight.

Biggest flaw,she needs to learn how to COMMIT to her strikes instead of just throwing them at the air with grunting noises.She needs to learn how to stand in the pocket and use elbows and hold a proper stance so she can't easily be taken down.More head movement and feints rather than running around so much.

She is a split image of Michael Bisping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, zaksame said:

Holm should can her whole team and find a better one before her career has ended and she still has a chance to get the belt back.She has been a very predictable stagnant fighter since about her first fight.

Biggest flaw,she needs to learn how to COMMIT to her strikes instead of just throwing them at the air with grunting noises.She needs to learn how to stand in the pocket and use elbows and hold a proper stance so she can't easily be taken down.More head movement and feints rather than running around so much.

She is a split image of Michael Bisping.

You're a fuϲking idiot.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, zaksame said:

Holm should can her whole team and find a better one before her career has ended and she still has a chance to get the belt back.She has been a very predictable stagnant fighter since about her first fight.

Biggest flaw,she needs to learn how to COMMIT to her strikes instead of just throwing them at the air with grunting noises.She needs to learn how to stand in the pocket and use elbows and hold a proper stance so she can't easily be taken down.More head movement and feints rather than running around so much.

She is a split image of Michael Bisping.

Daf*q is a split image?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's basically a spitting image cut in half, hence a split image.

...maybe???

There's no way Holm is finding a new coach/team/whatever. She's permanently tied to Jackson-Wink and has roots in Albuquerque. She's been training there since she was 18 or 19 and now, at 37, she's not going in a different direction.

Perhaps the grappling she showed in her last fight is a sign of evolution, but one has to consider that it's against Megan Anderson, who can't wrestle (she was taken down and submitted by Cindy Dandois for pete's sake). I agree that it would be good for Holm to go train elsewhere - even if she doesn't leave Jacksons - but I just can't see it happening this late in her career. Who knows though. Overeem is like 60 years old and he's trained everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 11:02 AM, Bubba_Sparks said:

THE GREAT ZAKSAME JUST QUOTED A POST!!

Is he finally interacting with his fans? 

he quoted me a couple weeks back. i think he's broken character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×