Sign in to follow this  
VertFTW

jimmy smith fired

This is really old news, it was reported a month+ ago that they weren't resigning him.

Maybe you should make 2019 the year you destroy trying to be Jolldan.

I'm thinking they spent a bunch of money on it (Bellator wanted to keep him but the UFC made an offer they couldn't or wouldn't match), only to realize that having him there didn't make a difference to their revenue stream.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, America said:

This is really old news, it was reported a month+ ago that they weren't resigning him.

never saw a thread on this topic so decided now was a good time.

I usually have to stram events at work in the morning due to the time difference so have no idea what he is like but I heard Dom Cruz recently and the UFC should all out fire him as well as a fighter and commentator.

u know as much of an idiot he is, i kinda miss mike goldberg

was it ever revealed why they abruptly fired him? i know the ufc wont give an honest answer about that whole ordeal but i dont think ive came across anything as to why they just decided to wash their hands with him

at least bisping will be doing some commentary next year. might be interestiing

Edited by -idyb-

I think the UFC didn't really use him correctly, he was great in bellator but in the ufc they had the wrong lineup and the wrong kind of commentator working with him. Wish him the best.

dont like any of the commentators in the ufc now except rogan who imo has gotten a lot worse than he used to be (probably because goldie made him look good)

Edited by PunchBag

3 hours ago, VertFTW said:

oh well...he didnt really stand out.

Especially to the half retarded folks.

To the rest of us, he's pretty damn good at what he does. And he got released, not fired, idiot.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, America said:

So was your Masvidal Diaz thread the other day, paperboy

• Like 2

He wasn't fired. His contract expired.

9 hours ago, VertFTW said:

Promote fielder and demote or fire anik 

Paul Felder and Jon Anik do completely different jobs. One could not replace the other.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Mcmax3000 said:

He wasn't fired. His contract expired.

Paul Felder and Jon Anik do completely different jobs. One could not replace the other.

What I meant is that Anik needs to go regardless.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Especially to the half retarded folks.

To the rest of us, he's pretty damn good at what he does. And he got released, not fired, idiot.

technically he didn't get released either, idiot. His contract expired after he fulfilled his contractual obligations and he didn't receive another offer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

What I meant is that Anik needs to go regardless.

no shot. Anik spends like 2 days learning how to pronounce everyone's name properly. Thats needed with the dagestani takeover

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VertFTW said:

Promote fielder and demote or fire anik 

Why would you want this? lol

Felder is horrendous. What is your issue with Anik?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

technically he didn't get released either, idiot. His contract expired after he fulfilled his contractual obligations and he didn't receive another offer.

When they don't offer him a contract, he got released, idiot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cashfl0w said:

When they don't offer him a contract, he got released, idiot.

swing and a miss. Released would imply he was released from his contract.. he had no contract... his contract was expired. stick to manual labor i dont want you to think too hard and make yourself dizzy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I know you need attention from the other thread, so here you go.

He didn't request out. He didn't want to explore his options. They didn't want to sign him. So they released him. You can call it whatever you want to get attention. The rest of us will stick with what it's been called forever.

• Like 1

So when lebron became a free agent after the terms of his contract expired and signed with the lakers it was actually the Cavaliers that released him?! holy moley! all this time i thought his contract was just up....

Its not what i call it.. its how contracts work bud

• Like 1

They make this thing called Twitter, where you can spam comments at people a lot more important than me, who also happen to not give a damn what you have to say. You should sign up.

4 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

I know you need attention from the other thread, so here you go.

He didn't request out. He didn't want to explore his options. They didn't want to sign him. So they released him. You can call it whatever you want to get attention. The rest of us will stick with what it's been called forever.

I'd call that released too, free to sign/work uninhibited elsewhere...either way Jimmy is gone.

Just now, Bwana said:

I'd call that released too, free to sign/work uninhibited elsewhere...either way Jimmy is gone.

Aka fired lol

2 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

They make this thing called Twitter, where you can spam comments at people a lot more important than me, who also happen to not give a damn what you have to say. You should sign up.

youre right 101 out of 100 times and have a strong following here, a role model of sorts. i just didnt want you to steer people wrong this time. Sorry for upsetting you. I will go back to the premium side. peace be with you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

youre right 101 out of 100 times and have a strong following here, a role model of sorts. i just didnt want you to steer people wrong this time. Sorry for upsetting you. I will go back to the premium side. peace be with you.

As Salaam Aliaykum

• Like 1

Seems with BigJohn going to Bellator, they probably didn't match the UFC's offer because they had someone in mind already. I didn't mind him, enjoyed him for the few Bellator fights a year I'd watch. UFC puts out too many fight nights and missed a lot of his announcing with them. Also seems UFC is big on getting their fighters behind the desk to announce fights these days than to bring in outsiders. Which makes sense for the UFC to promote them and get their names out there. But it hurts Smith to get another job because he barely got a chance to show off his ability. I'd take him over some fighters that are a little awkward on the mic talking though. 

2 hours ago, VertFTW said:

@Shkrelz puttin a beating on cash lol

What a GOAT

Yeah, but you think you get the better of McMod when he really just swats you away like a flea every time. Your ability to judge is broken.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It sucks for Smith from a monetary perspective (I'm guessing, of course), but it's a boon to MMA fans. He's a great commentator and I'm sure he'll be picked up by another promotion fairly quickly. I agree with the others who said the UFC wasn't utilizing him correctly. They have a crowded broadcast booth and he just didn't fit into the puzzle as well as they would've liked. They're always looking to cut costs, so it makes sense that they let his contract expire without making another offer. He needs to be lead commentator for a promotion, not just some secondary or backup guy. I think he's a lot better than Anik.

And yes, I also miss Mike Goldberg. He was a goof, but he has this certain awkward charm that endeared himself to a lot of folks, myself included.

• Like 1