Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Man tries to rob UFC's Polyana Viana in Rio de Janeiro, pays painful price

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/01/ufc-fighter-polyana-viana-beats-up-man-who-tried-robbing-her

Image result for polyana viana mugger

On Saturday night at around 8 p.m. local time, a man tried to steal UFC strawweight Polyana Viana’s phone. Not only did he leave empty-handed, but he also got some painful reminders of his mistake in the process.

According to Viana, she was waiting for an Uber in front of her apartment complex in Jacarepagua, a neighborhood in the West Zone of Rio de Janeiro, when a man approached her. He must have been sneaky, Viana said, because when she noticed his presence he was already quite close.

“When he saw I saw him, he sat next to me,” Viana said. “He asked me the time, I said it, and I saw he wasn’t going to leave. So I already moved to put my cell phone in my waist. And then he said, ‘Give me the phone. Don’t try to react, because I’m armed.’ Then he put his hand over (a gun), but I realized it was too soft.

“He was really close to me. So I thought, ‘If it’s a gun, he won’t have time to draw it.’ So I stood up. I threw two punches and a kick. He fell, then I caught him in a rear-naked choke. Then I sat him down in the same place we were before and said, ‘Now we’ll wait for the police.’”

Later, Viana (10-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) would find out that the gun actually wasn’t a gun at all. It was a cutout in the shape of a handgun made out of cardboard paper. At the time, though, the Viana said the only thing she knew was that it wasn’t a real gun – possibly a toy weapon or maybe a knife.

Viana was alone but asked for help from passers-by to call the police once the man was subdued. She said she then kept his arm immobilized in a kimura-like position until they arrived. According to Viana, they took him to an emergency care facility to address his wounds and then to the station, where she filed a police report.

Viana said she also learned at the station that the man had been arrested before and had only recently been released.

After leaving the police station on Saturday, Viana says she simply went home and made dinner. On Sunday, she said her hands hurt a little but that it’s nothing serious, and she’s otherwise unharmed.

• Like 3

All women fighters have little man syndrome. She's damn lucky this dude was a complete can. Probably best to just up the phone next time.

• Like 1

The dude is doing a cowabunga surfs up hand gesture in one of the pics, thats exactly what you do after getting beat up by a woman, pose for pictures.

12 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

All women fighters have little man syndrome. She's damn lucky this dude was a complete can. Probably best to just up the phone next time.

She doesn't know if his demands would stop at the cell phone.

So you're mad because she assessed the situation accurately, "manned up" and won when you would have just squealed and rolled over.

12 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Some random can PM'ed me salty about this post. So let me take a minute and clarify, Polyana.

WMMA fighters are small people. Yes, Gabi Garcia is massive, but she's an outlier. Going around having physical confrontations with random people on the street when you are almost certainly the smaller person is stupid. I don't care how long you've been training. I don't care how tough you think you are. Some idiot demanding your phone is probably at the end of his rope. This guy didn't have a knife or another weapon, but what if he did? Then you end up like Blagoy Ivanov for being a hardass.

Better now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cashfl0w said:

Some random can PM'ed me salty about this post. So let me take a minute and clarify, Polyana.

WMMA fighters are small people. Yes, Gabi Garcia is massive, but she's an outlier. Going around having physical confrontations with random people on the street when you are almost certainly the smaller person is stupid. I don't care how long you've been training. I don't care how tough you think you are. Some idiot demanding your phone is probably at the end of his rope. This guy didn't have a knife or another weapon, but what if he did? Then you end up like Blagoy Ivanov for being a hardass.

Better now?

LMFAO

I was just about to message you and see if you got a PM.  Was trying to figure out why a "new" member was already firing off PMs.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

LMFAO

I was just about to message you and see if you got a PM.  Was trying to figure out why a "new" member was already firing off PMs.  

20 minutes ago, Hardknucks said:

She doesn't know if his demands would stop at the cell phone.

So you're mad because she assessed the situation accurately, "manned up" and won when you would have just squealed and rolled over.

^^^^

Me: Suck a ****, idiot

Them: Truth hurts huh

Me: I'm not a 5'5 strawweight woman, idiot. The next guy to approach me and demand something without a pistol will be the first and last guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

Me: I'm not a 5'5 strawweight woman, idiot. The next guy to approach me and demand something without a pistol will be the first and last guy.

Say what you want about her size or some supposed "little man" syndrome, she used her skills and took care of business. If your head was in the right place you'd give her a high five not hold her in contempt.

Edited by Hardknucks

She can have a cookie for this one, but I'm going to call her an idiot when the next guy stabs her in the neck over a cell phone.

EDIT: Kevin gets uptight when I don't quote the person I'm talking to, so @Hardknucks this is addressed to you.

Edited by cashfl0w

2 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

She can have a cookie for this one, but I'm going to call her an idiot when the next guy stabs her in the neck over a cell phone.

You can't seem to make up your mind - you say fighting someone over a cell phone is stupid but then say you'd do it if you believe they're not armed. I wouldn't assume that a chick who's into combat fighting for fun would feel any less intensely about defending her personal space.

From what I can see her incident was completely different than the Ivanov fight.

Self-defense is completely situational - in this situation she correctly assessed she could take the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardknucks said:

You can't seem to make up your mind - you say fighting someone over a cell phone is stupid but then say you'd do it if you believe they're not armed. I wouldn't assume that a chick who's into combat fighting for fun would feel any less intensely about defending her personal space.

From what I can see her incident was completely different than the Ivanov fight.

Self-defense is completely situational - in this situation she correctly assessed she could take the guy.

She fights for that 12k/12k contract ya dipchit.

19 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

It's Brazil, what are the chances of finding a good fighter there? Slim to none

• Like 2
  • Haha 2