Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Biggest Winners & Losers Of 2018

With 2018 and so many great fights now behind us I thought it would be interesting to take a look at who really made 2018 their year and who has had a 2018 that they hope to soon forget.

Winners & Losers will be ranked on a combination of total fights, win rate, finish rate, level of competition faced and place in the title picture now.

Winners

1st. Daniel Cormier

Nobody comes out of 2018 better than DC in my opinion. 3 stoppage wins in the calendar year, defending the Lightheavyweight title, capturing the Heavyweight title, beating the most successful Heavyweight champion ever and making his first defence of the Heavyweight title all in one year. 2018 elevated DC from one of the best Lightheavyweight's ever to simply one of the best MMA fighters ever.

2nd. Anthony Smith

A loss was a bad start to 2018 for Smith but from then on he has not put a foot wrong. Making the move up to Lightheavyweight he has looked like a vastly improved fighter. Winning all three of his fights at his new weight class by stoppage. Smith has also picked up some very big names with wins over two former Lightheavyweight champions and a former title challenger. Because of his success in 2018 he has been rewarded with the biggest prize he could get a title shot against Jon Jones in March.

3rd. Kamaru Usman

2018 was finally the year that Usman established himself as top contender going in to 2018 he was already 5-0 with the UFC. Now after another three big wins in 2018 over Emil Meek, RDA a former Lightweight champion and Welterweight title challenger and Demian Maia a former Middleweight title challenger. Usman's decision heavy record in the UFC is probably whe he's had to wait so long for a title shot which he is finally getting against Woodley in March.

4th. Khabib Nurmagomdeov

Unusual circumstance meant that Khabib won the title from someone who had never been champion which left some legitimacy claims until he soundly defeated former champ champ McGregor in October. The only reason he doesn't place higher on this list is because we still never got the Tony Ferguson fight, the debacle after the fight has left his first defence up in the air and his title win wasn't against a top 5 ranked guy.

5th. Israel Adesanya

Going from potential prospect to legitimate title contender in the UFC in under one year is a seriously impressive feat for any fighter. In 2018 Israel has managed that with four victories, two stoppages and three performance of the night bonuses. His accomplishments in 2018 have made him one of the stars of the division with a win in his next fight surely granting him a title shot.

Honourable Mentions: Thiago Santos, Alexander Volkanovski and Corey Anderson.

Losers

1st. Volkan Oezdemir

Nobody has had quiet such a bad 2018 as Volkan in terms of loss of stock. Volkan closed out 2017 with a three fight win streak that included OSP and two thunderous first round KO's. Volkan looked set be a new addition to the three horse race between Gus, Jones & DC. In 2018 he got his title shot but was found to be nowhere near DC's level and after that was handed a second consecutive loss to Anthony Smith who has now taken Volkan's place as the divisions new contender.

2nd. Francis Ngannou

The only reason that Francis does not top this list is because he did right the ship a little towards the end of the year with a second victory over Curtis Blaydes to get himself back in the win column moving in to 2019. However he did have two incredibly devastating losses in a row. After a six fight undefeated streak he finally got his tile shot in 2018 and boy did it backfire. After less than a round Francis began to notably slow down and his wrestling defence was exposed as pretty much non existent. After that followed a fight that he also lost to Lewis which is regarded as one of the worst fights of all time.

3rd. Derek Brunson

After a loss against Anderson Silva that most called blatant robbery Brunson had a good 2017 finishing Machida & Kelly in the first round. He was working his way back to a second fight with now champion Robert Whittaker. Then 2018 rolled in and everything went wrong for Brunson. He was finished in the first round by pereneial title contender Jacare and was then finished in the first round again by rising star Israel Adseanya. 2018 has seem him fall from a real contender to just someone else in the top 15 right now.

4th. Darren Till

Some of you might be thinking its weird to have Till included in this list he did only lose once in 2018 to current Welterweight champion Tyron Woodley but the manner in which he lost was so definitive I felt he needed to be included here. Also because this loss seems to have convinced him to move up to Middleweight he has also lost his spot as the number one ranked guy and will now need to work to see if he repeat what he did previously and establish himself at Middleweight.

5th. Kevin Lee

Another fighter with just one loss this year he may seem an odd choice but this loss was big in terms of Lee's path to the title. He was beaten by Ferguson who I think many wrote that one off as him being maybe a bit too young coming up against arguably the best in the world. The Iaquinta loss was different though, Lee needed to get the win back to prove the first fight was a thing of the past. Now Lee is ranked 5th with two men in front of him of have beaten him with one of those having beaten him twice. Lee will probably need to put a 2 or 3 fight win streak together in 2019 if he wants to really be back in contention.

Honourable Mentions: Chris Weidman, OSP, Andrei Arlovski

Who would you have on your lists?

• Thanks 1

Henry Cejudo - beat Mighty Mouse and send him packing to ONE FC, and very likely served as the catalyst that will eventually spell the doom of the UFC's flyweight division. Cejudo only fought once in 2018, so there is that.

I would say some of the biggest winners of 2018 would be Daniel Cormier, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Amanda Nunes, Max Holloway, Henry Cejudo, and maybe someone like a Derrick Lewis. I added Lewis due to him having 3 wins in 2018 with his one loss being a World Heavyweight Championship fight with DC, who is clearly the fighter of the year. 

Edited by VegasOddsMMA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Are you both for real lol I avoided wmma for the chit I usually get 

Amanda Nunes legit cemented herself as the GOAT for WMMA, thats one hell of a year if you ask me.

even Dillashaw had a great year with fighting once. Ended the Cody Rivalry for good, and positioned himself to get a shot to be a double champ.

biggest winner = jon jones

jones just came back and knocked out gus, a guy who went to a split decision with DC. Now that further discredits DC's legacy.

Edited by PunchBag

why is GSP not on the biggest winners list? He went undefeated throughout another year of his successful and triumphant career.

fail list is fail

Edited by -idyb-

Darren Dillpickle only 4th on the losers list? ygbsm.

Edited by pjbear05

56 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

lol, why?

For running his gums and then ending up with a fractured orbital and concussion. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

For running his gums and then ending up with a fractured orbital and concussion. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Kabob was the one that ran from him after a failed drop kick attempt.

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

"Failed drop kick attempt"

Screenshot_20190109-160641_Chrome.jpg

Im pretty sure he got that mark from some cheapshots from kabob's group...see vid:

3 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Danis gave that dude the hands. Khabib was ducking behind security.

lol Dildo ain't got any hands.  His daddy got sat down by Khabib ffs.

3 hours ago, PlatinumClegg said:

lol Dildo ain't got any hands.  His daddy got sat down by Khabib ffs.

Khabib cowered behind security. That's a fact. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

It was all a work including the bus incident in April.  That's a fact.

lol Chiesa cut was hilarious they LITERALLY did some WWE chit, son.

12 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

All the Irish and 97% of Americans were throwing **** at him.  He was just covering from fire and then called out the entire Irish.  100+ or those idiots couldn't handle 10 Russians without one getting completely sparked.

46 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

20181215_223034.jpg

Yeah, I'm devastated by the 48-47 loss. lol

Lee would have finished Conor faster. Fact.

• Haha 2