Sign in to follow this  
VegasOddsMMA

Something that has always bothered me about the UFC...

Anyone know why the champions in the UFC don't come down to the octagon with their championship belts? They do it in boxing,  kickboxing, pro wrestling, and every other kind of combat sport I can think of, but never in the UFC. I remember seeing it once years ago when Matt Hughes had someone in his corner holding his belt up, but other than that I can't recall any other instance when the belt was represented before being awarded. As a champion, when your making your entrance, wouldn't you want to represent the title you hold by proudly showing off your belt?

What do you guys think?

27 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

I often lie awake at nights wondering about just this. Why ufc, why? 

I don't like it because they have carried out the belt before.  Think about it marathon man, THE CHAMP should have someone carrying his belt in the background.  Like he said Matt Hughes did it!

Then Matt lost his $400,000 a year retirement job that wasn't a job just the Fertitta's giving the legends a nice monthly check, ended up on train in a new vehicle that got hit by the train. Chuck losing the same non job and ends up fighting someone he stomped in their late 20s and early 30s (PRIME) when he's 50 and the over 5 year age difference obviously matters

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PlatinumClegg said:

I don't like it because they have carried out the belt before.  Think about it marathon man, THE CHAMP should have someone carrying his belt in the background.  Like he said Matt Hughes did it!

Then Matt lost his $400,000 a year retirement job that wasn't a job just the Fertitta's giving the legends a nice monthly check, ended up on train in a new vehicle that got hit by the train. Chuck losing the same non job and ends up fighting someone he stomped in their late 20s and early 30s (PRIME) when he's 50 and the over 5 year age difference obviously matters

Wait, are you saying Hughes got hit by a truck and Chuck got koed by Tito because nobody carries their belts out? I hadn't considered the consequences before. 

Point of order; it's ultramarathon man, not marathon man. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Wait, are you saying Hughes got hit by a truck and Chuck got koed by Tito because nobody carries their belts out? I hadn't considered the consequences before. 

Point of order; it's ultramarathon man, not marathon man. 

My apologies m8.  And yes that's exactly what I'm trying to say

• Like 1

I would put it down to there 9/10 only being one belt so not really any need in the UFC with them all fighting under the one banner.

Whereas in boxing its not uncommon to have both fighter's to have one of the four major titles ( WBC, WBA, WBO and IBF) each.

I thought the winner of a championship fight got a new belt each time regardless of how ever many defenses (and belts) they have already.  Is that correct?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HoytBow1 said:

I thought the winner of a championship fight got a new belt each time regardless of how ever many defenses (and belts) they have already.  Is that correct?

Yep that's correct. 

2 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

Yep that's correct. 

except for mighty mouse apparently