Sign in to follow this  
Bubba_Sparks

ClassicBoxer's 2019 fitness thread

The fitness thread is one of the few consistently positive threads on here, so in honour of the man himself I'm going to kick start the 2019 one.

Purpose is to write your fitness goals and keep some kind of a track plus a bit of mutual accountability.  Maybe this is the year you want to run your first marathon, or break your bench press PB?  Perhaps you're hoping to lose a bit of weight, gain a bit of weight, or just get back into regular training.  This thread is for the athletes, the fat, the thin, the fit, the healthy, the unhealthy - even poor saps like @Eclipse76 who can only deadlift a measly 3x their body weight.  Let's have your contributions.  This thread changes lives.  This thread saves them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

i might drunklift a couple beers to my mouth tonight but thats about it. its too cold out there in this arctic tundra to go get any exercise

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

The fitness thread is one of the few consistently positive threads on here, so in honour of the man himself I'm going to kick start the 2019 one.

Purpose is to write your fitness goals and keep some kind of a track plus a bit of mutual accountability.  Maybe this is the year you want to run your first marathon, or break your bench press PB?  Perhaps you're hoping to lose a bit of weight, gain a bit of weight, or just get back into regular training.  This thread is for the athletes, the fat, the thin, the fit, the healthy, the unhealthy - even poor saps like @Eclipse76 who can only deadlift a measly 3x their body weight.  Let's have your contributions.  This thread changes lives.  This thread saves them.

Bubba has knocked the 2019 fitness OP out of the park. Consider me inspired. New goals to follow.

edit - also Eclipse......pick it up would ya. That chit's embarrassing. 

Edited by Decompoze
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, Decompoze said:

Bubba has knocked the 2019 fitness OP out of the park. Consider me inspired. New goals to follow.

edit - also Eclipse......pick it up would ya. That chit's embarrassing. 

Edited by Eclipse76
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eclipse76 said:

There ya go...

Haha. Fookin crushing it, nicely done brotha. 

Were those vids taken this month? If so I'm jealous of the lack of resolutioners polluting your gym.

Edited by Decompoze
  • Like 3

Impressive @Eclipse76, but clearly fakes; since when did Canadians work in lbs???

Good work though mate.  Any goals for this year?  You going the strongman route; about time someone knocked the mountain off his perch!

CB challenged me to see if I could get you and @I_Take_Roids_m8 more involved in this year's fitness thread.  It can't just be full of string-beans like me and @amunera running around.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

From beyond the grave?!

From wayyyyyy beyond.

He also sends his warmest regards and wishes you all the best in your 2019 fitness endeavours, particularly those relating to frolf.

Edited by Bubba_Sparks

17 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

From wayyyyyy beyond.

He also sends his warmest regards and wishes you all the best in your 2019 fitness endeavours, particularly those relating to frolf.

I remember reading your fitness thread and seeing him post about how many miles he rides. I rode that without even telling anybody. For quite a few years consecutively.

If you need a pat on the proverbial back by some internet stranger for keeping yourself in shape, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, Decompoze said:

Haven't worked out all the goals yet but goal #1 is to definitely eat healthier and spend more time in the kitchen.

20190114_165320.thumb.jpg.ce7cabb621be934e4efa489c35643915.jpg20190114_160331.thumb.jpg.99462376fb209210475762d5bf19743c.jpg

ill take the chicken. you can have all the rest.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, -idyb- said:

ill take the chicken. you can have all the rest.

Lemon ginger on the left, cinco pepper blend on the right. Get er into ya.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, NikkiNeversleep said:

Managed to motivate myself to actually start going to the gym again lol

After walking through one of biggest cancer centers i have a new found respect for the fitness level of medical workers at least  in Houston. I've probably walked 15+ miles a day easy for a week now. It's pretty insane how mecca medical it is over here. 

Also observing for days a lot of the treatment and work first hand i'm fairly convinced most of you are saints especially the nurses lol. 

#Patience #HighLvlSocialSkills2KeepPatientsCalm #RoughHrs

• Like 1

Lifted today for 30 min with a slight cold. 1st time i've been even slightly sick in like 3-4 yrs. I'm almost over it because i caught it early and took cold/flu meds and a vit-C immune booster. 

Weight is up to 182-186 range. On my way to packing on a little extra muscle then come early summer sculpt my gainz, melt off any fat and shred the fk up. 

Today's Mantra's

#MyWordIsAction

#FinishWhatUStart

#ThereIsNoTommorrow

Edited by StompGrind

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

Soo Joanna JSquared was at my bjj gym doing a seminar yesterday and she's WAY hotter in person, and funny af. Didn't get to pair up sadly, so I missed the chance to force myself into a triangle :(

Awesome! 

You know the rule though mate... pics or it didn't happen!!

• Like 3

Been lifting, running or doing yoga in the hotel gym every day. Weights are a little heavier than i'm used to & they have medicine balls and a physio ball & a pool so that's nice and different. 

Diet wise i've been eating kinda healthy but living in a hotel i just don't feel like cooking that much and the little fridge doesn't hold much so i've kinda been eating out or at the hospital mostly. 

Been working on my legs for this upcoming competition... been seeing some good gains... now that my lower back problem isn't as bad. 

20190122_231931.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eclipse76 said:

Been working on my legs for this upcoming competition... been seeing some good gains... now that my lower back problem isn't as bad. 

20190122_231931.jpg

what the f*ck?!?

his leg muscles have grown another set of leg muscles

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2019 at 9:24 AM, Eclipse76 said:

20190122_231931.jpg

That's crazy bro. Like a white Randleman. Goodluck with your competition. 

I'm made some gainz all around but i'm not as cut anymore expect when i lift & flex. My legs were a bit skinny before from so much running but i gained a little mass in them since i've been in Houston & hitting the gym more. Never really had one before but I might actually have a slight badonkadonk now lol

47076291822_d50b20eec8_b.jpg

33253204808_3b611e228b_b.jpg

• Like 1

Image result for arnold strongman classic

The man, the mountain, the legend does it again.

Defends his crown and wins the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic

Not only did he take home first place in the event, but he broke his previous Elephant Bar world record of 472kg/1,042 lbs on his second deadlift attempt after he pulled an easy 474k/1,046 lbs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Image result for arnold strongman classic

The man, the mountain, the legend does it again.

Defends his crown and wins the 2019 Arnold Strongman Classic

Not only did he take home first place in the event, but he broke his previous Elephant Bar world record of 472kg/1,042 lbs on his second deadlift attempt after he pulled an easy 474k/1,046 lbs.

only reason he won is because the chad didnt enter

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

I haven't tested myself on anything, but I feel really good.  I lift a few times a week.  I go to jujitsu when I can, but I work almost every night.  There are some very early classes and open mat times, but I have a very hard time waking up in the morning.  I've been to a few of the open mats.   I broke my running habit in October when an African American destroyed my car in an attempted theft; I had to ride a bicycle for about a month until I could get another car going.  All that cycling had me stop running, and then I just never got started back up.  It's been cold.  It's not really cold anymore, so I guess I better get back out there.

Gimmicky stuff I've been trying:

-I've been steadily doing the captains of crush grippers at the hotel bar, 3 nights a week.  I just bought a the 2.5s because the 2s are getting easy.  I can get the handles to touch and hold them that way for a few seconds for a few reps.  I do several sets of that.  Grip work is really not that common, so it sort of feels like I'm in a league of my own.

-I saw a 60 pound kettlebell for 32 dollars and free shipping on Amazon.  I thought that was one helluva deal, so I went for it.  They sent me a 55 pound kettlebell, so I called them up and they gave me credit.  That's what I used to buy the extra set of grippers.  I still had a few bucks left in credit.  Anyway, I recommend the kettlebell.   It makes me feel good.  I swing that in the kitchen at the hotel (I'm the cook and the bartender, so I'm the only one who uses the kitchen,) "greasing the groove" style throughout my shift; just swinging it 12-20 times every time I have to step in the kitchen for whatever.  

-I got a pair of those barefoot running sandals delivered today.  I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow.   I'm expecting the novelty of these sandals will get me off my fat ****.

-I picked up a stand-alone dip station from Amazon.  I use it to hang laundry or dry my jujitsu gis on.  It works really, really well. 

I got below 220 a while back and I've stayed below 220...and yes, "below 220" is precisely 219 pounds.  I feel good, I look okay.  I'm not all that concerned about anything, healthwise.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

hey its the inevitable return of megasoup. and them black dudes be tryin'a jack up all his shit again :(

Edited by -idyb-
  • Haha 1

i refuse to contribute any more to this thread as well until my boy CB gets rightfully unbanned.

@sobercuban''s corruption knows no bounds

Edited by -idyb-

6 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

i refuse to contribute any more to this thread as well until my boy CB gets rightfully unbanned.

I think me & Eclipse scared everyone away haha.

I refuse to participate in this thread until Nikki post a pic of her glute development & breaks the thread. Save the thread girl you can do it lol. :P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been getting back in to the gym for nearly two months now been weighing in every Friday morning and hit a nice little milestone today as I have now lost 10% of my original body weight.

• Like 1

Got my BJJ purple belt this afternoon.  Was not expected at all,  only got my stripe 3 months ago and haven't been rolling too hard since my elbow is ****ed. 

What an epic humbling experience.  @StompGrind I'm sure you know them feels. 

Need to get my training back up,  have 15kgs to drop in 216 days now, without sustaining any serious injury,  while working 60 hours a week and planning a wedding, and with three, possibly overseas trips in the meantime.  Chit will be getting hectic

Edited by OzStraya
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 3:52 AM, OzStraya said:

Got my BJJ purple belt this afternoon.  Was not expected at all,  only got my stripe 3 months ago and haven't been rolling too hard since my elbow is ****ed. 

What an epic humbling experience.  @StompGrind I'm sure you know them feels. 

Need to get my training back up,  have 15kgs to drop in 216 days now, without sustaining any serious injury,  while working 60 hours a week and planning a wedding, and with three, possibly overseas trips in the meantime.  Chit will be getting hectic

Congrats m8. How is the wrist doing? At purple is when you really start to define your game. 

You ever flow charted your game b4 with positions & go to moves & or trouble spots in your game along with considerations for your body type? It's a real good way to know what holes you need to fill & looking at what you'll probably never be that good at realistically due to frame/physical limitations etc.  

For instance myself i'm semi flexible & explosive but i'm kinda built trollish with a long torso, long arms but slightly short thighs so i was never that great with smooth armbars & triangles from a clinch in the guard & smart passers tend to play very tight wait n bait for openings or go on the offensive stand n stack/knee cut/leg drag pass. We trained combat BJJ style most of the time. We kinda didn't "sport" train back then so their wasn't a lot of hovering & jacket gripping in mid range. You were either clinching or way out in distance off to Brasil somewhere lol

Instead of relying on clinching for dear life or trying to time arm bar, triangle omoplata type game ( < got passed a lot trying ) i developed an open sit-up, sit-out type guard then attack guillotine, kimura, hip bump, elevator hook sweep type game. When they shut that down relying more on knee cutter types passing i'd play a scissor guard & or heels on hips or knees in their chest with my hips off the ground and cupping their biceps to stay square and make space then look for kimura, omoplata, & triangles or sweep them. I got so good at that people stopped passing from their knees entirely and i had a wicked double ankle grab sweep too so they wouldn't try to hop up quick and stack pass from a more square horse stance. They would always try to stand then stagger back with one trail leg so i'd get double wrist control & switch to de la Riva slightly on my side on an angle nearer to their lead leg to trap it right away then i'd play the up kicks tripod to sickle sweep game threaten an armbar or kneebar or just sit-up to a single leg or do a technical get-up if they back out completely. Pretty soon they got wise to that too and would look to pass low but step over to half so i started fk'ing around with Eddie's lockdown, getting a butterfly hook & a few deep half sweeps. 

Basically one problem lead to another so i worked around my limitations instead of just clinching for dear life, end up gassing & getting passed  throwing up pipe dream subs i wasn't as capable of so i worked a more active flowing open guard with moves that chain & have answers at different ranges & positioning so when they get wise to one set of combinations & shut it down i could flow back n forth to deal with any situation while still being offensive  looking to get back on top or to my feet. Idea is you leave them the option of fk'ed or really fked lol

Anyway writing out a flow chart to really know your strengths weaknesses will lead to you coming up with combinations sequences & solutions for when you hit a wall & also so you don't waste time working on game that's not really working for you because the moves are not all that suited to your body type & physical capabilities. That was what i loved about Jitz soo much. It really is mind chess problem solving with an infinite board of plays. Separate & join in a very solve et coagula philosophical/physical alchemy art. 

Edited by StompGrind

From last week. 315lbs military press on the Smith machine. I sometimes am limited by who's available if I want to do free press so I have to use Smith machine.. still good for use but can be  bit limiting 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Eclipse76 said:

From last week. 315lbs military press on the Smith machine. I sometimes am limited by who's available if I want to do free press so I have to use Smith machine.. still good for use but can be  bit limiting 

Beast. I can't even bench dat & dis nagger doin' military presses lol. Smith or no that's impressive.

Most i ever did for military press was 135 for 2-3 reps. Bench 275 for 2-3 reps. PB 1 rep max i put up 290 on a smith. I did the whole stack on the machine bench. Was like 400 or something like that but those machines are easy & lie.  Squat i did 360 for 2-3 reps < I always did smith on heavy squats though. I got up 540 on Leg press once. Deadlift was 405 for 1-2 reps. I would definitely break something trying to do heavy barbell anything now. 

Not sure if this counts but i when i was in my very early 20's i used to roll with a crew back in the day we used to throw parties & sometimes get into street fights & box people from different neighborhoods. We called ourselves the one punch crew. To get in the group you had to knock a mofo out with one punch and you can't sneak them. For Mardi Gras one year me, another skinny jacked dude & two of our body builder friends lifted a bug volks wagon. Some idiot parked all stupid so we parked elsewhere then came back & grabbed it by the fenders and walked that bish onto the median a few feet and left it there. Pretty sure it got towed lol. They had a big crowd all looking at us like who the fk are these guys haha. 

So when is your next BB comp? Good luck with that u savage. If you don't place in the top 5 i'm coming up to Canada to knock some judges heads around hockey style ALL uppercuts & overhands. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Beast. I can't even bench dat & dis nagger doin' military presses lol. Smith or no that's impressive.

Most i ever did for military press was 135 for 2-3 reps. Bench 275 for 2-3 reps. PB 1 rep max i put up 290 on a smith. I did the whole stack on the machine bench. Was like 400 or something like that but those machines are easy & lie.  Squat i did 360 for 2-3 reps < I always did smith on heavy squats though. I got up 540 on Leg press once. Deadlift was 405 for 1-2 reps. I would definitely break something trying to do heavy barbell anything now. 

Not sure if this counts but i when i was in my very early 20's i used to roll with a crew back in the day we used to throw parties & sometimes get into street fights & box people from different neighborhoods. We called ourselves the one punch crew. To get in the group you had to knock a mofo out with one punch and you can't sneak them. For Mardi Gras one year me, another skinny jacked dude & two of our body builder friends lifted a bug volks wagon. Some idiot parked all stupid so we parked elsewhere then came back & grabbed it by the fenders and walked that bish onto the median a few feet and left it there. Pretty sure it got towed lol. They had a big crowd all looking at us like who the fk are these guys haha. 

So when is your next BB comp? Good luck with that u savage. If you don't place in the top 5 i'm coming up to Canada to knock some judges heads around hockey style ALL uppercuts & overhands. 

Next comp is in July in Vancouver.. hopefully should do well. I hope to be about 230lbs on stage.. 

• Like 2

Did yoga last night and jogged today. Cardio is kinda in the dirt right now & my diet has been more food & poor choices lately. I blew up to 188 but not the 188 i want lol. Time to get srs again. Deeze love handles & slight pot belly need to go!

I bought a new dumbell bench 2 days ago and put it together last night. Finna get some more lighter weight DB's and maybe some 40 DBs or a heavier Kettlebell. 

My home gym currently has...

Dumbell Bench, 2x30 LB dumbells, 2x20 LB DB, 20 LB Kettlebell, 6x8

Puzzle mat, Roll out Yoga mat

Pull-Up Bar, Resistance band with handles, Assisted pull-up loop resistance band

Physioball, Peanut Ball, Walker ( < AKA my dip station )

Massage chair pad, Portable Sauna

Boxing Gloves, Double end tennis ball

Also met some nice folks before i went to H-town running a boxing program out of the community center in town. They invited me to come train. Might hit them up & start going a few times a week. 

Hit the track for an hr today. Did like 2 miles of footwork type drills. 

Forward shuffling, backward shuffling, side shuffling, carioca, stance switching, skipping on one leg, side step & pivot, some thai knee walking, teep walking and stepping roundhouse kicks. 

When i got to the benches i did slow step ups & knee raise step-ups till my quads and glutes were toast. Did some light jogging every second lap then finished up with a walk & stretch.

Everything was super relaxed and light because I've been feeling a little flat lately not sure why. Only been working out 3x a week and eating poorly so that's probably it. 

Think it's time to switch gears and get back into lifting more. I found a boxing & fitness gym in my town that i'm thinking about joining.  55 bucks a month which ain't too bad. 

• Like 1

I work out every day, usually twice, but I'm having trouble with doing anything consistently.  I just sorta' do whatever, but I do it every day.  I'm getting older, I can't grapple, run, lift weights and tend bar all in the same day.  I can't do it all.  So there's a lot of stuff I feel like I'm skipping.  I have trouble making it to the fitness gym, so I do a lot of quick workouts at home with kettlebells, dumbbells and pullups and dips.  I run when I feel like it, I haven't used those running sandals in about a week.  It's all becoming a bit overwhelming, I'm not going to lie.  

I'm just going with the flow and I don't really have a program.  I don't feel like it.   

I need to cancel my gym membership and just get a barbell with a bunch of weights and just knock out deadlifts 2 or 3 days a week.   That'll solve a lot.

Edited by Megasoup

After lifting i did groceries last night for myself & my moms for 2 weeks & had a bunch of heavy chit. Literally thought to myself i sure wish i had a friend like Eclipse right now lol. 

I should be kinda jacked by this summer if i can keep up lifting weights & don't get burned out or tweak anything.

I've already reached my goal of getting up to 190 i just need to carve it up & keep muh gainz while getting more strict on my diet. I've been eating like chit too probably why i hit my mark already except for this last week i ate fairly clean to knock off the love handles and lower belly fat i had. 

Progress on muh beach bod almost ready 4 summer ✔️

40711542163_0f5e0e6829_b.jpg

I might have my first 3 some lined up for my b-day because two artsy yogi friends i know were gonna come down to get wild for Mardi Gras & we were gonna have a masked ball sort of art party that we planned since last yr but things changed and i missed Mardi Gras completely since i had to be in H-town. 

@Eclipse so what were you doing different for your leg gainz? Any specific exercises or methodology? 

I've been slacking like mofo just haven't been feeling that great physically, eating like trash & kinda lost motivation. Still doing some mobility stuff & little maintenance workouts here and there but nothing srs and not much else with regularity lately. 

Was watching a jitz seminar with Priit Mihkelson that was pretty awesome and realized I need to fix my deep squat plantar flexion & toes flexibility. Ido Portal has a few exercises to fix this and i'm gonna start doing them and hanging from pull-up bars to fix some shoulder tightness i have along with yoga to fix hip/lumbar tightness issues I've been having before i dive back into training again. 

Noticed i lost quite a bit of flexibility from running so much and it gets worse when i'm not as active. 

• Like 1

@Oz if you get a chance watch some of Priit's seminars on Youtube do so. Turtle position & side control bottom are the ones i watched. 

Very different approach to BJJ & i think you'll find it helpful & very interesting to play with. His thoughts on live toes & not having surfers foot as the Mendes bros call it i completely agree is something that really needs to change in BJJ. 

Edited by StompGrind

On 5/12/2019 at 8:57 AM, StompGrind said:

@Eclipse so what were you doing different for your leg gainz? Any specific exercises or methodology? 

I've been slacking like mofo just haven't been feeling that great physically, eating like trash & kinda lost motivation. Still doing some mobility stuff & little maintenance workouts here and there but nothing srs and not much else with regularity lately. 

Was watching a jitz seminar with Priit Mihkelson that was pretty awesome and realized I need to fix my deep squat plantar flexion & toes flexibility. Ido Portal has a few exercises to fix this and i'm gonna start doing them and hanging from pull-up bars to fix some shoulder tightness i have along with yoga to fix hip/lumbar tightness issues I've been having before i dive back into training again. 

Noticed i lost quite a bit of flexibility from running so much and it gets worse when i'm not as active. 

I have a compacted disc in my lower back that stopped me from properly training legs for 2 and a half years... I used an inversion table for a few months and stretching so I'm now able to train again for the last year and a half... has been awesome!  Got my squatting booty back lol 

I make sure I go full range but also make sure my lower back doesnt curve in any way. 

• Like 1

As a silent protest, I've not been updating this while CB has been banned.

However, in anticipation of his imminent return, here's a short update from me.  

This year's goal was all about getting ready for a massive hike in the summer.  We're aiming to do the Colorado Trail over 4 weeks.  It's just under 500 miles, so including the odd rest day, it's about 20 miles a day with a 30+ lb pack on.  Been hitting the gym much harder than usual.  Joined an awesome Gym Jones gym, but the dude who ran it left, so ended up at a CrossFit gym.  Much to my surprise, it's actually not too bad.  Occasionally there's stuff on their programs that you just think why?? (floating deadlifts paired with burpees anyone?), but generally it's good solid hard work.  The whole ring the bell when you've nailed a PB through sacrificing all form is mildly irritating, but each to their own I guess.  

Barely ran over the winter; Stockholm basically is covered in ice from December to March.  Did a lot of x-country ski-erg work instead, and come April really started racking up the miles.  With the hike now 9 weeks away, I'm part way in my final block of training; 4 days a week at the gym, plus 3 runs and one long hike.  Knocked out a 24 mile run last Saturday with no ill effects, so I've entered a 50 mile ultra in a few weeks with a mate who's never done one before.  He runs 18 minute 5k's (i did 21 in my prime), so pacing will be interesting, but I'm looking forward to a good old explore of the city.  Stockholm has lots of stunning islands and the route just bimbles in and out of them.  Plus it doesn't get dark until midnight so it will be pretty sweet.  

TL;DR, I've been training harder this year than ever before.  Feel fitter, stronger and faster, which at 43 is pretty satisfying.

How's everyone else getting on?

• Like 3