Sign in to follow this  
Bubba_Sparks

ClassicBoxer's 2019 fitness thread

10k run is on the 25th of this month. 

Getting ready my times have been around 52 to 57 minutes (hardly impressive I know)

Gonna really push these last few weeks as I would love to be able to finish it in under 50 minutes

• Like 1

f*ck i did the same ride as before but it seemed to have taken almost twice as long as before to get home.  i guess i got pretty drunk. my body is kinda feeling it now tho

hot as hell though and the trail was pretty gnarly in some spots. my **** is all chaffed up or something and my body feels like i put it through the ringer.   i dont know if i want to do this ride again. at least not for a while. that was just too long and i got baked in the sun.  maybe ill get a good downhill rip in next monday. or sit on the couch in front of the air conditioner. i like that idea it sounds good to me right now

• Like 1

I could curl 135 for reps. I'd have to cheat my @ss off & use my hips/legs doe. 

I don't think i could do even 1 rep with strict form.  Maybe if i was super pissed with a rush of adrenaline. 

• Like 1

i lifted 8 beers and a bottle of fireball whiskey yesterday. really making them gains.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 1

Just now, Bubba_Sparks said:

Nice work mate.  Coming for that MW strap!

Have you done your 10k yet?

Cheers mate, haha yeah few more weeks and ill be able to be a weight cutting can like these lost and give Snoozeman the hands🤣

It's this Sunday, I had a hamstring injury that slowed training for it down a bit so ill be happy if I can finish in under an hour 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Cheers mate, haha yeah few more weeks and ill be able to be a weight cutting can like these lost and give Snoozeman the hands🤣

It's this Sunday, I had a hamstring injury that slowed training for it down a bit so ill be happy if I can finish in under an hour 

Ah, shame about the injury.  Good luck with it, don't stress about time, just enjoy it and finish strong!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Ah, shame about the injury.  Good luck with it, don't stress about time, just enjoy it and finish strong!

Yeah what's kind of funny is that I have been doing nothing really but running and stairs for months on end and had no injuries from it, what gave me the injury was actually just digging a hole in my grandads garden so he could plant some tree he'd bought, I must be majorly out of practice with manual labour😂 hamstrings were so tight they felt like a stringed bow lol.

• Haha 1

On 8/23/2019 at 3:06 AM, Jolldan said:

Below 190lbs for the first time in over 10 years

Congrats. Curious what was you're weight from last yr & how much you lose? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Congrats. Curious what was you're weight from last yr & how much you lose? 

Thanks I have only really been doing it since the start of February was about 270lbs at the start of then.

• Like 2

Well I did my first 10k today managed to finish it inside my goal time of under one hour but just barely with a time of 59:29. 

Got a goal of what to improve on now for next year.

• Like 2

away to sign up to a virtual race as a motivator to keep me going to the gym debating which one to sign up for, looking for some advice. These are the options they do from least to most extreme

•  The English Channel 21 miles 
  • Hadrian's Wall 90 miles
  • Brighton to Brompton 93 miles 
  • Great Ocean Road 149 miles
  • Alps to the Ocean 180 miles
  • Grandy Canyon 280 miles
  • Length of Britain 1,083 miles
  • The Appalachian Trail 1,968 miles
  • Route 66 2,280 miles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jolldan said:

away to sign up to a virtual race as a motivator to keep me going to the gym debating which one to sign up for, looking for some advice. These are the options they do from least to most extreme

• Route 66 2,280 miles

How does this work? Do you have to log those miles in a certain time, or per month?

As a frame of reference, the most miles I've ever done in a year was bang on 1500

• Like 1

• Route 66 2,280 miles

Virtual races are one the most dumbest things out there. Just sign up to an actual race and feel the pleasure of completing it

Madness how people actually spend money on these fads

54 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

How does this work? Do you have to log those miles in a certain time, or per month?

As a frame of reference, the most miles I've ever done in a year was bang on 1500

You set a goal amount of weeks to complete the miles in and then I just think you log your data. 

Im looking at the Hadrian's Wall one just now https://www.theconqueror.events/hadrians/

You're mad in to your running mate you should sign yourself up to the Appalachian Trail or Route 66 one lol saying that though doesn't sound like you need much motivation to keep going. 

53 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

Virtual races are one the most dumbest things out there. Just sign up to an actual race and feel the pleasure of completing it

Madness how people actually spend money on these fads

Each to their own but just depends how you use it.

If you signed up to any of the last 3 id be willing to bet you'd be putting in hell of a lot more work than any actual standard race you'd be signing up to. 

4 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

If you signed up to any of the last 3 id be willing to bet you'd be putting in hell of a lot more work than any actual standard race you'd be signing up to. 

Having used to compete in Ultra marathons, I doubt it.. 

Good luck however

12 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

You set a goal amount of weeks to complete the miles in and then I just think you log your data. 

Im looking at the Hadrian's Wall one just now https://www.theconqueror.events/hadrians/

You're mad in to your running mate you should sign yourself up to the Appalachian Trail or Route 66 one lol saying that though doesn't sound like you need much motivation to keep going. 

Yeah, like you say, each to their own - I like my running but running itself is the motivation for me if that makes sense. If you're going down this route for now, pick a distance that is challenging but not impossible or you can lose motivation fast. 

8 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

Having used to compete in Ultra marathons, I doubt it.. 

Good luck however

which ones mate? Just ran my 10th ultra a couple of months ago. Can't beat a nice steady trudge. 

4 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Yeah, like you say, each to their own - I like my running but running itself is the motivation for me if that makes sense. If you're going down this route for now, pick a distance that is challenging but not impossible or you can lose motivation fast.  

which ones mate? Just ran my 10th ultra a couple of months ago. Can't beat a nice steady trudge. 

Yeah I get what you mean. Will probably go for the 90 miles Hadrian's Wall one as that should keep me occupied till mid to late November.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

I've done

30, 32, 2 x 40, 42, 50, 2 x 60, 130 and a 145

nice. Which ones were the 130 and 145? Did a 100 miler a couple of years ago and think that's probably the limit of what I'm willing to do

1 minute ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

Birmingham to London

Liverpool to Leeds

Ah, grand union canal. Have been tempted to do that one but I like a few hills to break the monotony. 

Hespect though. That's a long way to run. 

1 minute ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Ah, grand union canal. Have been tempted to do that one but I like a few hills to break the monotony. 

Hespect though. That's a long way to run. 

The Fellsman is a great event. It's run by the Scouts, so it's a well run gig. Also cheap as chips

https://www.fellsman.org.uk/

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

The Fellsman is a great event. It's run by the Scouts, so it's a well run gig. Also cheap as chips

https://www.fellsman.org.uk/

Nice. I think my next ultra will be a low key, self supported one. The one I did this summer in Stockholm was a bit over the top tbh

15 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Nice. I think my next ultra will be a low key, self supported one. The one I did this summer in Stockholm was a bit over the top tbh

Too many big timers out there now. No race is be more than a £1 a mile. When I see people charging £70 for just a marathon is crazy

• Like 1

Just now, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

Too many big timers out there now. No race is be more than a £1 a mile. When I see people charging £70 for just a marathon is crazy

Centurion are still good value. I did a 100 mile with them for £69. Plus if you volunteer for 8 hours or more you get free entry the year after. 

12 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Centurion are still good value. I did a 100 mile with them for £69. Plus if you volunteer for 8 hours or more you get free entry the year after. 

I thought all their 100’s were £125..

Too much fancy runners in those runners. 

Not dissing you BTW

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Conceive-Believe-Achieve-----STFU said:

I thought all their 100’s were £125..

Too much fancy runners in those runners. 

Not dissing you BTW

Hmm, it was £69 when i did it two years ago....quick look at their web-site and it's now £160!!! That's almost criminal.

Big companies like threshold have got in on the act now - I think it's cool that they make them more accessible, but they all have social media marketing directors on fat salaries and the like now.  Seems to be going the way triathlons went.

Barclay Marathon is still basically free though....if you have a death wish.

Buddy is doing a 10k out the road I hadn't heard of so just signed up to that one, so got my next 10k on the 7th. Will need to proper go for it so im back in time for the prelims starting lol.

On 8/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, Bubba_Sparks said:

Hmm, it was £69 when i did it two years ago....quick look at their web-site and it's now £160!!! That's almost criminal.

Big companies like threshold have got in on the act now - I think it's cool that they make them more accessible, but they all have social media marketing directors on fat salaries and the like now.  Seems to be going the way triathlons went.

Barclay Marathon is still basically free though....if you have a death wish.

You just need the secret application 

• Like 1

Got 9 days till this next one how many times would you recommend I do the 10k before that? Don’t want to do too much and burn myself out. 

2 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Got 9 days till this next one how many times would you recommend I do the 10k before that? Don’t want to do too much and burn myself out. 

9 days until you race a 10k?

Would run 8k a week before and a couple of steady 4-5 kms during the week. 

• Like 1

Image result for happy dance gif

Officially hit my target weight I set myself in February when I started trying to lose weight, im 85lbs lighter than when I started or 140lbs lighter than the heaviest I have ever been. Probably gonna try and lose another 6-7lbs as definitely still a bit more around the gut I could do with losing but after that away to change up my training to try and build a bit more muscle. 

On 8/28/2019 at 8:50 PM, Bubba_Sparks said:

9 days until you race a 10k?

Would run 8k a week before and a couple of steady 4-5 kms during the week. 

Thanks mate did a 8k last night and will do one again on Saturday. I know you prefer running without music but I have discovered Fire Woman by The Cult and honestly feel like I could chase down Mo Farah with that playing in the background🤣

• Like 1

Ran 2.5 miles today. Been a while since i worked out at all because i'm nursing a partially torn right bicep that kept getting re-injured even with basic movements. Not even sure how it happened i just woke up one day noticed it was very tight then later pulled it with something simple like getting out of a chair or something like that. #Oldmanproblems

Anyway my time for my run was embarrassing. Was over 10 1/2 minutes a mile & some of it i walked for 30-45 secs every 2 1/2 minutes or so to avoid getting tew fatigued. Ciggy smoke + few weeks layoff definitely trashed my cardio.

My heart rate was getting up to like 180 at times but down to 118 ish when i walked. Then when i finished it took about a minute to get down to 100 BPM which is about normal for me now but when i was running everyday it was like 80 BPM resting HR so my recovery rate is still pretty decent i guess. 

TBF it was hot AF out there, i didn't eat today just had coffee all day,  got up super early & didn't sleep much last night so fatigue was a factor. Still felt good to get out there sweat & get some sun despite not being in shape and feeling a little flat.

Looks wise i'm a little softer than normal but not fatty which is odd because when i take a few weeks off i usually start looking a bit dad bod in my waist. Weight wise i'm still holding steady in the 185 range. 

Today's Workout: Walked a mile, ran 2 miles straight, walked a half mile mile. 3x3 min rds of super light but busy shadow boxing with 1 min active rest as kind of cool down then i walked another mile then finished up with two short super sets of calisthenics lunges, dips, knee raises & push-ups followed by a half mile walk & 10 min of some mobility stretching which is to day slow movement stretching because i don't like static stretches. Got a good solid hr 20 in maybe a little more. 

Was still hot as hell still but not as bad because i went a little later. My cardio is already getting better since the other day & i didn't feel that flat or winded till the end of my workout despite the heat. 

I don't even know why i even post in this thread or this fora anymore really tbh ( barely anyone interacts & the fora is kinda dead compared to it's glory days ) but i guess it's like a diary. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Today's Workout: Walked a mile, ran 2 miles straight, walked a half mile mile. 3x3 min rds of super light but busy shadow boxing with 1 min active rest as kind of cool down then i walked another mile then finished up with two short super sets of calisthenics lunges, dips, knee raises & push-ups followed by a half mile walk & 10 min of some mobility stretching which is to day slow movement stretching because i don't like static stretches. Got a good solid hr 20 in maybe a little more. 

Was still hot as hell still but not as bad because i went a little later. My cardio is already getting better since the other day & i didn't feel that flat or winded till the end of my workout despite the heat. 

I don't even know why i even post in this thread or this fora anymore really tbh ( barely anyone interacts & the fora is kinda dead compared to it's glory days ) but i guess it's like a diary. 

I'm still slightly sulking about CB being bant, and it feels weird posting in this thread without him!

Lol, we have very opposite challenges....Sweden is already getting annoyingly cold and wet for outdoor training.  

How come you've lost a bit of your cardio edge? Did you focus on other things in the summer, or just take it easy?

When you run, do you run at a "conversational" pace, or is it a kind of heart-busting pace? Much easier to increase the distance by dropping the pace a bit.

I'm always a bit directionless this time of the year in terms of training; most of my hard work builds up to a climax at the end of the summer with either an ultra or a long hike.  So I've decided to try and go for a 2k rowing PB over the next 12 weeks.  Something a bit different; am going to do a rowing programme once a week and include some in most training sessions.  Currently at 7:40, going to try and get it down to 7:20.  It's a meaningless target in itself, but gives me something new to go out. Last night was 8 x 300M with 2 minute rest in between; bloody hard, sweaty work!

8 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

I'm still slightly sulking about CB being bant, and it feels weird posting in this thread without him!

Lol, we have very opposite challenges....Sweden is already getting annoyingly cold and wet for outdoor training.  

How come you've lost a bit of your cardio edge? Did you focus on other things in the summer, or just take it easy?

When you run, do you run at a "conversational" pace, or is it a kind of heart-busting pace? Much easier to increase the distance by dropping the pace a bit.

I'm always a bit directionless this time of the year in terms of training; most of my hard work builds up to a climax at the end of the summer with either an ultra or a long hike.  So I've decided to try and go for a 2k rowing PB over the next 12 weeks.  Something a bit different; am going to do a rowing programme once a week and include some in most training sessions.  Currently at 7:40, going to try and get it down to 7:20.  It's a meaningless target in itself, but gives me something new to go out. Last night was 8 x 300M with 2 minute rest in between; bloody hard, sweaty work!

Focused on other things & lost interest in the grind or working out everyday plus last couple weeks I've been nursing a severe bicep pull where doing anything was risky anytime i stretched it moving around i'd pull it again shooting pain and i was worried about tearing it. It almost healed now but it's still not 100%. 

My pace varies. I train like a fighter in a lot of ways. I'm basically playing a whole symphony not just one instrument. I actually h8 running with the same exact form & pace. It's boring to me and i get way more wear n tear & tightness in my hips/knees/lumbar and certain muscle groups so i like to mix it up so it's more spread out which helps me recover faster, stay more consistent to gradually increase capacity & still have longevity. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 10:25 PM, StompGrind said:

Focused on other things & lost interest in the grind or working out everyday plus last couple weeks I've been nursing a severe bicep pull where doing anything was risky anytime i stretched it moving around i'd pull it again shooting pain and i was worried about tearing it. It almost healed now but it's still not 100%. 

My pace varies. I train like a fighter in a lot of ways. I'm basically playing a whole symphony not just one instrument. I actually h8 running with the same exact form & pace. It's boring to me and i get way more wear n tear & tightness in my hips/knees/lumbar and certain muscle groups so i like to mix it up so it's more spread out which helps me recover faster, stay more consistent to gradually increase capacity & still have longevity. 

weirdly for someone who runs ultras i don't like running per se. Stick me on a treadmill and 5 minutes is quite enough. But with the right company/ scenery I'll run all day(and night!)

Did my second 10k at the weekend 

How did it go?

• Like 1

Been smashing it with my runs and hit the weights twice already this wk. You b!shes better keep up. :P

I'm kinda sore right now but i'm actually a little shocked at how quick i get back into my groove & how much better i already look cause i was starting to get some dad bod. 

Kinda makes me wonder if i could mini Yoel if i had some TRT or straight up gear. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 2:18 AM, StompGrind said:

Been smashing it with my runs and hit the weights twice already this wk. You b!shes better keep up. :P

I'm kinda sore right now but i'm actually a little shocked at how quick i get back into my groove & how much better i already look cause i was starting to get some dad bod. 

Kinda makes me wonder if i could mini Yoel if i had some TRT or straight up gear. 

muscle memory is a wonderful thing...

I lost quite a bit of strength on my Colorado hike but gained it back in a couple of weeks. 

Have been running every day to the gym recently; just finished a 50 mile hike in Scotland that felt like a piece of cake. 

As for mini Yoel... what's stopping you!! Get on all the roids!!

• Like 1

I'm running the Bridlington half marathon on October 6th. Only really started running a couple of months ago, but have already ran 13 miles and wasn't bad.

It's supposed to be a little hilly which I'm not used to as Hull is super flat, but should be good. 

• Like 1