Sign in to follow this  
America

Nunes done with 145

Said she's not fighting there again and told Cyborg to go fight Kayla Harrison.

One WMMA division down. There is hope gentlemen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Doggone it Bwana, your AV reminds me of that video Brendan and Bryan watched on TFATK...

Anyway, she doesn't need to fight Cyborg again. She just proved she's the better fighter and there's no need to run that one back. I'm a shill for WMMA, but the 145lb weightclass just doesn't have enough depth to be a presence in multiple organizations. Maybe have Cyborg fight Megan Anderson next (I think this is the best option) and don't renew her contract.

Honestly, I'd rather see Cyborg and Anderson go to Bellator where they have a deeper roster of 145 women. Granted, they're almost all cans, but still... it's by far the biggest B-League promotion and they could at least put on some entertaining WMMA bouts.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ijosef said:

Doggone it Bwana, your AV reminds me of that video Brendan and Bryan watched on TFATK...

Anyway, she doesn't need to fight Cyborg again. She just proved she's the better fighter and there's no need to run that one back.

Uhhhmm.. Cyborg definitely just ran at her like Nunes had nothing to offer. I think if she used her boxing and footwork a bit better, or even took Nunes down, that fight goes totally different.

On topic though, LOL @ Nunes telling her to fight Harrison. Why doesn't she fight Harrison? Because she'll get thrown on her head and raped in under a round. That's why.

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Uhhhmm.. Cyborg definitely just ran at her like Nunes had nothing to offer. I think if she used her boxing and footwork a bit better, or even took Nunes down, that fight goes totally different.

On topic though, LOL @ Nunes telling her to fight Harrison. Why doesn't she fight Harrison? Because she'll get thrown on her head and raped in under a round. That's why.

I read they train together.  Nunes said Kayla is a true 145 and the bish has been fighting at 155.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Come at me bro! Let's fight on the internet!

You're right about the fight as it happened, I must admit. It seemed like Cyborg was ready to be the calm, relaxed Jason Parillo-trained version of herself, but after Amanda cracked her with a good leg kick she was like "Screw this, I'm gonna Chute Box my way through this chick". Well, we all saw what happened.

I think if they rematched, Amanda would beat her via decision. It wouldn't be a barn burner like the first fight was. Think the first Joanna vs. Rose fighter versus the second.

13 hours ago, OzStraya said:

Ducking Val smh

After beating her twice already?  Why isn't that Aussie Mr. Glass fighting Yoel again? Duck!

2 hours ago, T.B.E said:

After beating her twice already?  Why isn't that Aussie Mr. Glass fighting Yoel again? Duck!

Val won both. Take a seat, young filthy casual. 

Edited by OzStraya

1 hour ago, sobercuban said:

UFC has removed the 145 division from their rankings completely:

https://www.ufc.com/rankings

145 was never in the rankings.  The promotion has 2 featherweight women.  The only women besides Anderson and Cyborg to compete at 145 were blown up bantamweights.

14 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Kayla Harrison would take out some of the cans at 145 on the mens side. I'm dead serious too.

Can she wrestle?  If she can't shoot a double just relying on head and arm throws (Ronda) she'd get the hands because she has to enter boxing range.  Even from past prime on less steroids Cyborg.  After she wins the PFL 155 tournament Cyborg said she's down to move up.  I've seen her in Judo matches but I'll admit I haven't watched the 2 or 3 MMA matches she's had against potatoes.

A shame Harrison can't just back out of that tournament and be Cyborg's last UFC fight at lightweight.  Put it in Brazil I'd like to see a jacked 175 Cyborg in there.

50 minutes ago, PlatinumClegg said:

Can she wrestle?  

She makes Ronda's grappling look pitiful. She would snatch Cyborg up and put her on her back quickly.

Kayla was always a superior judoka to Ronda. As far as transitioning those skills to MMA, I can't say for sure since we haven't seen quite as much of Kayla. Ronda's judo was stellar (both standing and on the ground), but that was against opponents who hadn't seen or trained for judo at that level. Once opponents trained for it - Holly avoided it and Amanda simply shrugged off Ronda's feeble attempts - it seemed to lose its effectiveness. However, we'll never truly know how effective or ineffective Ronda's skillset would have remained since she left MMA.

Kayla is actively training wrestling, which is something Ronda never did. I honestly can't think of a single time in Ronda's fights (pro or amateur) where she tried a double or single leg takedown. Her takedowns and grappling were purely judo based and she didn't branch out from that. Brendan Schaub said as much - he's no expert, but he did stick it to her for awhile. Anyway, Kayla has superior judo, is physically stronger than Rousey, and is also working diligently to learn some MMA wrestling to add to her grappling game.

As far as Cyborg goes, she's never been a strong grappler in terms of takedowns. Maybe we just haven't seen it, but Cyborg does get taken down by lesser opponents. She manages to power her way back up to her feet though, so it could be a case of her simply not respecting her past opponents' grappling games and not really worrying about the takedown. I honestly can't say I've ever seen her either constantly defending or constantly attempting takedowns in a fight. Mostly it's just her beating some other broad senseless. Cyborg does have a black belt in BJJ, although one of BJJ's weaknesses is its lack of focus on stand-up grappling and takedowns.

She say's she is now going down to 125 to try and become the first triple champ.

Feel a bit bad for Vieira and Ladd (providing she beats Holly) both just getting passed up so she can go fight the same chick again for the third time.