Sign in to follow this  
brunofr418

Was the Stoppage Early?

no, it wasn't. tj got shoved to the ground, dropped, then dropped again. the last few punches damn near made his head swivel. side note: i was sitting next to a "fight club" member last night not sure if he's on the forum or not. bit older, glasses, we had all the same picks in the beginning of the night then had opposite ones following the jojo and lipski fight. curious to see if i met one of you cans last night 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

no, it wasn't. tj got shoved to the ground, dropped, then dropped again. the last few punches damn near made his head swivel. side note: i was sitting next to a "fight club" member last night not sure if he's on the forum or not. bit older, glasses, we had all the same picks in the beginning of the night then had opposite ones following the jojo and lipski fight. curious to see if i met one of you cans last night 

You were hanging with CB

I think the stoppage was fair, maybe 3-4 seconds early...outcome would have been the same, ref makes the call.

Edited by Bwana
  • Like 2

Though I liked the results, I thought a few fights were stopped a little early. Both TJ and Hernandez were hurt but I would say defending intelligently as they were looking to grab. I think there was one other like that but it's NY so they were probably eager to administer free health care

37 minutes ago, T.B.E said:

Though I liked the results, I thought a few fights were stopped a little early. Both TJ and Hernandez were hurt but I would say defending intelligently as they were looking to grab.

giphy.gif

more like intelligently talking a walk down queer street while looking to grab a bite of some more knuckle sandwiches

this was already after he was dropped 3 times beforehand.  the ref had seen enough.  lets be honest here.  dillashaw isnt gonna take down an olympic gold medalist when he's doing the funky chicken like that and he's facing the opposite direction. if the ref didnt intervene  he would have been pummeled some more or choked out. getting rocked and then giving up your back like that is not intelligently defending yourself.  cejudo surely would have put him out had that gone on for much longer.

Edited by -idyb-
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Taylor_Schonerstedt said:

Maybe a little but I think it's a whole other fight at Bantamweight 

Yeah, TJ will have more years because he will be better hydrated when he face plants again 

Edited by MoZZez
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bwana said:

'It was stolen from me, stolen...I actually felt better at Flyweight, I felt great....I didn't lose"

Bwahahaha !!!!

• Like 1

"I'm pretty F'ing bitter right now. I'm pretty pissed off. I worked my **** off, bro. I'm about to f---ing cry.”

Lol, what a beta bish.  

Edited by Greasyrasta
  • Like 4

Most definitely not a good stoppage.The ref was falling all over the place prior to the stoppage,like he was getting in the way  too early.Before the fight started my very first thought was who the hell is this ref,never noticed him before.

I also share TJ's thoughts entirely as i have been in a similar situation and it really a tough pill to swallow.

The only thing i disagree on is TJ thinking he is better by a mile and that he didn't notice anything except early pressure.I felt right away Cejudo looked faster,quite a bit faster and these midgets are usually fast as it is so to notice one being faster really says something.Cejudo being shorter is also way more solid on his feet as TJ looked to be sort of wobbly when barely touched.

If they have a rematch i feel after seeing the little i did and unless Cejudo would somehow tire out,i think TJ would have a VERY tough time.IMO 60/40 in a rematch in favor of Cejudo.

11 minutes ago, zaksame said:

Most definitely not a good stoppage.The ref was falling all over the place prior to the stoppage,like he was getting in the way  too early.Before the fight started my very first thought was who the hell is this ref,never noticed him before.

I also share TJ's thoughts entirely as i have been in a similar situation and it really a tough pill to swallow.

The only thing i disagree on is TJ thinking he is better by a mile and that he didn't notice anything except early pressure.I felt right away Cejudo looked faster,quite a bit faster and these midgets are usually fast as it is so to notice one being faster really says something.Cejudo being shorter is also way more solid on his feet as TJ looked to be sort of wobbly when barely touched.

If they have a rematch i feel after seeing the little i did and unless Cejudo would somehow tire out,i think TJ would have a VERY tough time.IMO 60/40 in a rematch in favor of Cejudo.

I've been waiting all day with bated breath for your hot take.

• Like 2

Was it early? Nah, I don't think so. TJ was in heavy danger and was eating hard shots, the referee saw this and stepped in to save him from suffering any major damage that he may have sustained had he ate a handful of shots more than he already had. On a side note, I was shocked by the fact that Cejudo was able to grab the victory by via TKO, I thought for sure had he won it'd most certainly had been a decision due to his wrestling. I had TJ winning via TKO late in the 1st round.

2 hours ago, -idyb- said:

giphy.gif

more like intelligently talking a walk down queer street while looking to grab a bite of some more knuckle sandwiches

this was already after he was dropped 3 times beforehand.  the ref had seen enough.  lets be honest here.  dillashaw isnt gonna take down an olympic gold medalist when he's doing the funky chicken like that and he's facing the opposite direction. if the ref didnt intervene  he would have been pummeled some more or choked out. getting rocked and then giving up your back like that is not intelligently defending yourself.  cejudo surely would have put him out had that gone on for much longer.

LOL I could watch this gif constantly.  I predict these things.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Jason_H. said:

Early stoppage.   Tj was rocked but he was actively moving to defend himself . Ref got paid.  

trying to grab for an ankle after getting dropped 4 times is not intelligently defending yourself, nor does it score points

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

trying to grab for an ankle after getting dropped 4 times is not intelligently defending yourself, nor does it score points

TJ needs to watch that gif that literally proves King Henry beat his **** with ease.  Bobble head

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

I should have put some money on Cejudo, TJ just looked so awful at the weigh in.  

As you can see with the thread I bumped I said this chit was done in one.  I also said TJ's chin is trash and cutting 10 more pounds is a lot for a midget and Vert laughed at me.

Classic.

• Like 1

Just now, cashfl0w said:

"He was wiggled and whatnot..." - King Henry

If he's getting run over by Cejudo like that what happens if he fights Marlon?  Sparked clean out in the first exchange?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yesterdays_Hero said:

The ref is there to save the fighters and TJ needed saving, he wasn't getting up from a GOLD MEDAL wrestler banging on his noggin

I don't know I see a lot of drive on that deep single leg he had.  TJ is the better MMA wrestler.

• Like 1

Dana said the stoppage was early bullshiit, so that means it was justified...he was hating on the ref

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sobercuban said:

I should have put some money on Cejudo, TJ just looked so awful at the weigh in.  

I waited till before the fight but I jumped on it.

55A5970F-9AF5-48AA-AA0E-5CA590FBB9A1.png

• Like 3

i picked cejudo but didnt bet. gotta say i regret it. i invite anyone saying the stoppage was early to prove to me how was intelligently defending himself. 

I thought it was a tiny bit early but it wouldn't have changed the outcome. Dana White's comment that the stoppage was "horrible" is ridiculous, although it does reveal his disappointment in the outcome of the fight.

In fairness, I also thought the stoppage between Nunes and Rousey was a tad early. The outcome was going to be the same, but I thought Rousey deserved to face plant to the canvas. It is a championship bout after all.

I'll never forget watching that fight in a sports bar, after which some drunk fool - obviously butthurt that Ronda lost - stood up and started screaming "she was still on her feet, she was still on her feet!" over and over. His wife/girlfriend had to calm him down and get him to leave.

12 hours ago, -idyb- said:

I beg the differ.  Yes, he was in deep waters but he was actively moving or advancing to gain a better position.  

18 minutes ago, Jason_H. said:

I beg the differ.  Yes, he was in deep waters but he was actively moving or advancing to gain a better position.  

he was actively taking a stroll down queer steet m8. trying to find the corner of know your role boulevard and jabroni drive so he could check his ass in to the smackdown hotel

Edited by -idyb-

I'm the most casual of casuals these days, living in a country that places ice hockey and ice fishing above mma so I've only just seen the fight.... but that stoppage was fine. After all the angst and hubris I was expecting a JDS/Reem-esque kind of stoppage. TJ was virtually out; that's why his head bounces around like a ping pong ball in that gif. The fact that as he collapsed to the floor one of his arms flopped vaguely and loosely around Cejudo's ankle does not mean he was shooting for a single.

Good call by the ref. 

• Like 1

I thought the stoppage was fine. But I may be biased as I can't stand Dillashaw. As many others have stated, you aren't going to complete a single leg on a gold medalist while being nearly concussed. Regardless of the timing, that stoppage was inevitable. If TJ got slept and ate too many shots people would give that ref the Mario Yamasaki treatment.

As someone mentioned, it was 3-4 seconds early, which by the way Cejudo was throwing was about 10 punches early which, no need to eat those for no reason. The way Cejudo literally shoved him to the ground showed a big power advantaged. Now let's take that into consideration on the punches he was eating. TJ got got and that's what happens in this sport. He got folded by one of the last punches trying to get to his feet. I understand to feel it was early but it was not getting better in the next coming moments. 

2 hours ago, Bohemoglu13 said:

As someone mentioned, it was 3-4 seconds early, which by the way Cejudo was throwing was about 10 punches early which, no need to eat those for no reason. The way Cejudo literally shoved him to the ground showed a big power advantaged. Now let's take that into consideration on the punches he was eating. TJ got got and that's what happens in this sport. He got folded by one of the last punches trying to get to his feet. I understand to feel it was early but it was not getting better in the next coming moments. 

Folded, spindled, and mutilated.

23 hours ago, -idyb- said:

giphy.gif

So what? How many times did Pat Berry drop Kongo before getting starched?

Was Conor ever going to beat Floyd? They still had the fight. So whether TJ is going to land a single leg on Henry or not is irrelevant because TJ is still fighting back in a reasonable manner. He wasn't wrestling the air like Schaub. He was desperate and trying to survive.

If a fighter is not responding, sure the ref should jump in. But I rather see fighters finish fights instead of having a ref jump in because they assume the fighter is about to finish the fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T.B.E said:

So what? How many times did Pat Berry drop Kongo before getting starched?

Was Conor ever going to beat Floyd? They still had the fight. So whether TJ is going to land a single leg on Henry or not is irrelevant because TJ is still fighting back in a reasonable manner. He wasn't wrestling the air like Schaub. He was desperate and trying to survive.

If a fighter is not responding, sure the ref should jump in. But I rather see fighters finish fights instead of having a ref jump in because they assume the fighter is about to finish the fight.

TJ was scrambling around on the floor like a drunk looking for his change he had just dropped. That is not intelligently defending yourself. Just being conscious isn't enough. 

Edited by Bubba_Sparks
  • Like 3

My theory is that TJ took a dive. 

Dana decided not to shut the division down when this fight was already booked and the only way to make that happen was to have a talk with TJ in the lockroom right before the fight. Cejudo wins and now the division can be kept.

TJ saved the 125ers pay check by taking a dive. That TKO looked staged. Ref was on it btw.

Yeah, come at me @Bubba_Sparks and @sobercuban

Thats my theory

• Like 2

2 hours ago, T.B.E said:

so basically they should just fight to the death and the referee should only jump in and intervene to make sure that the guy no longer has a pulse?

i could get down with that.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Dana decided not to shut the division down when this fight was already booked and the only way to make that happen was to have a talk with TJ in the lockroom right before the fight. Cejudo wins and now the division can be kept.

TJ saved the 125ers pay check by taking a dive. That TKO looked staged. Ref was on it btw.

Thats my theory

Lol. I like your new everything's a conspiracy gimmick mate. Good luck with it! 

Not quite sure the rationale of someone paying tj off to save a division that brings no revenue to the ufc when they could save it by promoting it and not sacking all the fighters but hey. Like I say, I'll always respect a man's gimmick. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Thats my theory

2fab2de5cb564ff0e6ffb14384e4ad18.gif

• Haha 1