Sign in to follow this  
broke_fl0w

No longer annoyed by ESPN's handling of UFC already.

So far, they pretty much exclusively run MMA programming after midnight my time. Ariel Helwani's show has been on at 11PM a few times, and it was on at midnight last night.

Fox did a terrible job of prioritizing the UFC shows and almost always relegated them to FS2, but at least they sometimes ran some programming at a reasonable time to watch. UFC Tonight wasn't on every week, but it was on in prime time when it was. 

I feel like I'm not alone in the fact that I thought this move to ESPN was supposed to somehow legitimize the sport and bring it to the forefront. Sure, they suddenly spam UFC content on their website when they only cared about Conor before, but as far as getting the content to fans via their networks, it's not happening. Not even close. The casual fan was the only thing propping this company upright and alienating them further is going to totally kill it off. 

/rant

Update: Their pacing is far better, and they've put a bit of their programming on during the day. Better now.

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, stehilton94 said:

Wish I had your problem, all UFC events are 1am for prelims here :(

Well, now we're all watching late night. And I got **** I have to do. I'm not staying up late to look at Helwani's schnozz regularly. I'll tell you that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Late night showings, worthless repeats, and anything decent is on Espn Pizz.  Fook that.

5 minutes ago, Los_Polo_Hermano said:

Why?

The first UFC event he ever watched was McGregor vs. Mayweather. That's probably why. lol

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Los_Polo_Hermano said:

Why?

Hardcores don't want their precious MMA to be violated by big media names like Stephen A Smith

Just now, cashfl0w said:

The first UFC event he ever watched was McGregor vs. Mayweather. That's probably why. lol

I'm all for Stephen A Smith hot takes. That is sure as **** more entertaining than seeing Karen Bryant and Kenny Florian speak.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, PATSTER said:

I'm all for Stephen A Smith hot takes. That is sure as **** more entertaining than seeing Karen Bryant and Kenny Florian speak.

Watching Karyn Bryant verbally felate everybody on the roster was the cringiest thing that's ever happened to the sport, and these guys knock each other unconscious and thank Jesus nearly every card.

• Like 5

I checked espn's website for the first time just to see what they were doing with the UFC coverage on a fight week. First UFC related article I came across was an interview of baldie saying he'd fight Oscar De La Hoya lol. That seems about right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the marketing strategy for the UFC, most casual viewers are blocked out from the events...and hardcore fans are pizzed off with the format for viewing a non-PPV fight. This has to cost the company fan base, it may be good for ESPN and their "new" tech app bullchiit...but it screwed the UFC in my opinion.

Along with the fact that you can't DVR record the events in Plus, the TV platform shuffle to enjoy the fights is total doochbaggery stupidity. I'm signed up for Plus along with every PPV fight, and this is still total BS in regards to "user friendly" viewing.

Uncle Dana is an azzhole

• Like 1

@cashfl0w at least Espn can strong arm the ufc to put decent main events on cable/tv. Fox couldn’t make the ufc budge for chit. I agree with you on espn needing to prioritize the ufc more, I think it’ll happen more once the NFL is done. What’s annoying is they still do full mma coverage (which I actually like for the sport), but if I were the ufc I would be pissed, covering bellator would be like them having cfl coverage on the same page as the nfl

2 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

@cashfl0w at least Espn can strong arm the ufc to put decent main events on cable/tv. Fox couldn’t make the ufc budge for chit. I agree with you on espn needing to prioritize the ufc more, I think it’ll happen more once the NFL is done. What’s annoying is they still do full mma coverage (which I actually like for the sport), but if I were the ufc I would be pissed, covering bellator would be like them having cfl coverage on the same page as the nfl

ESPN broadcasts Bellator en Español, Señor Skrilla.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

ESPN broadcasts Bellator en Español, Señor Skrilla.

Yeah I’m surprised the ufc didn’t make them bury all other mma coverage next to darts or bowling as part of their deal 

seeing as how MMA is undoubtingly not even close as popular as people predicted it would be, this crappy air time and spotlight is expected 

You can record it though,  right? Who gives AF if it's not on before their bedtime?  Tape that chit and watch it when you god damn want to m8!

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

You can record it though,  right? Who gives AF if it's not on before their bedtime?  Tape that chit and watch it when you god damn want to m8!

My internet/cable bills already exceed $400 a month. I'm not paying the extra for DVR when you can watch most anything On Demand. So no, I don't have the ability to record any of their UFC programming, and even if I did, I'm not recording The Nose doing interviews with people for an hour anyways.

You don't have ESPN, haven't been on the continent since the new contract began, so instead of telling somebody they're wrong, maybe just move on to a topic where your input is necessary? Just a suggestion. 

15 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

My internet/cable bills already exceed $400 a month. I'm not paying the extra for DVR when you can watch most anything On Demand. So no, I don't have the ability to record any of their UFC programming, and even if I did, I'm not recording The Nose doing interviews with people for an hour anyways.

You don't have ESPN, haven't been on the continent since the new contract began, so instead of telling somebody they're wrong, maybe just move on to a topic where your input is necessary? Just a suggestion. 

I've got ESPN lol and a streaming device that can DVR anything other than PPV

I wasn't even having a go, so quit crying. 

Edited by OzStraya

3 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

I've got ESPN lol and a streaming device that can DVR anything other than PPV

I wasn't even having a go, so quit crying. 

You might have ESPN, but you have no frame of reference regarding the topic. Nonetheless, you're just spamming words. 

Go ahead and **** off to another topic you know nothing about but have an opinion on anyways.

Pretty sure the way espn is handling the UFC is standard based on the ratings they bring in....as viewership increases they will mainstream it better.

8 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

You might have ESPN, but you have no frame of reference regarding the topic. Nonetheless, you're just spamming words. 

Go ahead and **** off to another topic you know nothing about but have an opinion on anyways.

Go ahead and move the goal posts some more to suit your ocean of tears narrative. Also LOL@$400/month internet/cable bill.  I thought you were in I.T? #learntoDVR

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

Go ahead and move the goal posts some more to suit your ocean of tears narrative. Also LOL@$400/month internet/cable bill.  I thought you were in I.T? #learntoDVR

The goal posts are in the same spot. You just need the IQ of a caveman to interpret the thread correctly, and you're about 20 points short. 

Move along, junior. Save us the same post six times more in a row. We get it, you're the contrarian that arrived first, but you live Australia and have nothing to contribute here. You're just spamming for the sake of spamming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

The goal posts are in the same spot. You just need the IQ of a caveman to interpret the thread correctly, and you're about 20 points short. 

Move along, junior. Save us the same post six times more in a row. We get it, you're the contrarian that arrived first, but you live Australia and have nothing to contribute here. You're just spamming for the sake of spamming.

Inb4 the Jones DX suck it gif.

Jon claims only Gus has taken him down.  Manages to cheat while getting thrown for 5.

s1

Jon getting the hands and cheating some more.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Personally, I thought I'd see more commercials promoting UFC events on ESPN and ESPN+, or at least more coverage on their sports programming shows. Sure, there has been some here and there, but it's nowhere where I thought we'd see, and ESPN seems like ESPN almost wants the programming to succeed based on its brand alone. I'm just happy to see the UFC mentioned on ESPN at all without Conor or Ronda fighting. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PlatinumClegg said:

Inb4 the Jones DX suck it gif.

Oh, it's coming. That's about all he posts anymore, aside from the usual stupidity like above.

He comes in telling me to get DVR, and I'm the one moving the goal posts?? lol.. No dummy, that would be YOU moving the goal posts. Me getting DVR does nothing to change the facts in the OP. ESPN is still running their programming past midnight exclusively. Everything I said would still stand. And it's pretty obvious that I'm right considering there's not one American that disagrees.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Oh, it's coming. That's about all he posts anymore, aside from the usual stupidity like above.

He comes in telling me to get DVR, and I'm the one moving the goal posts?? lol.. No dummy, that would be YOU moving the goal posts. Me getting DVR does nothing to change the facts in the OP. ESPN is still running their programming past midnight exclusively. Everything I said would still stand. And it's pretty obvious that I'm right considering there's not one American that disagrees.

I think I'm just going to start spamming it at him.  In fact yo @OzStraya

742f8c879eeb0549bb069c11671ce1fa.gif

On a positive note, the pacing of ESPN events proves that Fox was the reason the UFC was so hard to watch for seven years. I would have watched two solid hours of advertisements tonight, and ESPN saved me from that. 

I will happily trade not getting any MMA programming at reasonable times to avoid wasting hours of my life, especially if I'm at the arena because the events used to be just terrible to sit through. You would consistently spend more time waiting for fights than actually watching fights. I think ESPN may have eliminated that.

Edited by cashfl0w
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

On a positive note, the pacing of ESPN events proves that Fox was the reason the UFC was so hard to watch for seven years. I would have watched two solid hours of advertisements tonight, and ESPN saved me from that. 

I will happily trade not getting any MMA programming at reasonable times to avoid wasting hours of my life, especially if I'm at the arena because the events used to be just terrible to sit through. You would consistently spend more time waiting for fights than actually watching fights. I think ESPN may have eliminated that.

It started early and it went fight to fight right away. The ESPN+ shows are lit.

I'm assuming the ESPN ones will drag though.

• Like 1

The ESPN+ pacing was amazing, it was one after another. I dont think that will be the pace unfortunately when they're on cable tv. They have to fill allotted time.

ESPN has breathed new life into this chit. They have been nothing short of fcking amazing. Look at the cards they've forced UFC to put on, I couldn't give a hoot about any other coverage but horses for courses.

Last night and Brooklyn was chit hot. Fight nights now on a PPV level. I feel sorry for the Aussies with their PPV not on par with a London fight night. But hey who wants to fly halfway round the world to put on a show for a load of pissed up half wit, vegemite eating bogans drinking beer outta their stinking shoes. Sorry Oz.

Edited by Marble

17 minutes ago, StanleyTheBricklayer said:

I don't understand why anyone gives a donald duck.

just watch it or download it after, what's the problem?

Not smart enough to understand the OP, eh?

• Like 1

Yesterday, ESPN aired the UFC 234 Countdown at 2:30 in the afternoon and then they had a ton of UFC programming on after it. Maybe they were just getting it worked into the schedules? 

They're doing a much better job than Fox did with the live show pacing, and again, I'd trade that for any and all television programming happily. I'm better now.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 12:27 PM, Bwana said:

I don't understand the marketing strategy for the UFC

ESPN paid them a lot of money. That's the strategy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Yesterday, ESPN aired the UFC 234 Countdown at 2:30 in the afternoon and then they had a ton of UFC programming on after it. Maybe they were just getting it worked into the schedules? 

They're doing a much better job than Fox did with the live show pacing, and again, I'd trade that for any and all television programming happily. I'm better now.

The fights were coming so fast it seemed like it was nonstop.  We were done by like 11PM Eastern, can't beat that ****!

I didn't have any idiotic streaming issues this time either.  

• Like 2