Sign in to follow this  
Welcome_to_Moe's

Who would you guys put up for Al Iaquinta next & thoughts on his rise in the UFC?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum here though am a big UFC fan, one of my favourite fighters being Al Iaquinta and was wondering what you guys felt to Al and his rise within the UFC as well as of course who you would like to see him fight next?

As we know, Al went up against Khabib, took the fight on a days notice for 5 rounds, went as far as he did without being prepared and then into his recent fight with Kevin Lee really does speak volumes and I do feel (personally) Al is a little underrated and doesn't always get the credit he deserves sometimes. He seems a little lost in the midst with the fighters and matches which is understandable considering that the division is so locked up with guys such as Poirier, Ferguson, etc.. in the mix with the whole Khabib thing but I do feel Al has got himself to a place now where he deserves a big fight, even the Conor thing I feel would make sense specially considering they have a common opponent in Khabib so I would like to see that happen and then the winner can get the rematch with Khabib (or whoever has the title at that point) so the best man gets the best man if that makes sense?

Al always shows up to fight and I think people respect him for that, he did have a knee injury which kept him out for a little while but he's definitely got himself in the conversation now and he does seem to do a good job in regards to keeping himself relevant in between fights and he is a tough guy so I was wondering what the general consensus was in regards to things here?

I'd really like to see him fight more often though I was wondering what you guys felt in regards to this? I'm guessing Poirier would be an obvious choice with him being just above Al in the lightweight division and of course Tony looking to be the most obvious with Khabib (depending on this whole situation of course) but I would actually like to see Al get the Conor fight to be honest simply because of what I mentioned above (I know Conor is possibly looking at the Cerrone fight and doubt he has much interest in fighting Al at the moment) however I do feel that it would be a fair fight rather than any of them just being given the rematch or title shot and me personally, would love to see.

There's a good little clip of Al talking about it here and I can't say I disagree with him, however what are your thoughts in regards to this and general consensus round here? I would love to hear.

Hope all's well and hope to hear from some of you soon :)

Edited by Welcome_to_Moe's
Added video link
  • Like 2

Yeah @I_Take_Roids_m8, I reckon it would be a good fight too and with the whole Conor/Khabib and Al/Khabib thing would really be good to see, specially considering Conor was giving the whole "You couldn't even beat an estate agent" talk during the build up.

The thing about his last fight with Kevin Lee too was he kept composed while Lee was entering the octagon, giving it all this swag yet Al was just like "I'm gonna smash him" and he did (surprising to Kevin Lee) but it is a fight I would love to see.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I want to see him smash Conor to be honest. Al is a top 5 fighter at LW IMO when hes motivated. 

Al's never smashed anybody worth a damn, and he wouldn't be starting with Conor.

Inb448-47turnsintoamaulingagain

Then let the fight happen and see, this is the thing where Al gets underrated all the time yet he's a tough guy and look at the rise he's had, even Khabib has said he was tough, not so much Conor.

If Al goes up against Conor and loses then fair enough, but it's a fight that makes sense and if he beat Conor would people still be saying he's never smashed anyone worth a damn?

He dominated Kevin Lee, he went the distance with Khabib with no preparation for a 5 round fight, let alone with Khabib (there's no excuses for this, he went the distance!) and the guy deserves a shot.

31 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

He dominated Kevin Lee

Oh yeah, you're going to fit right in. You're already calling squeaking by someone and winning a 48-47 decision, "dominating".. lol

Conor will fight someone relevant. Al Iaquinta is about as far from that as you can get.

They said this on UFC Now recently during some discussion, besides that's give and take, he beat him twice so why not give him the shot?

The dude built himself up into the top 4 ranking and where as I mentioned in the OP I get it how the division is so locked up right now with Poirier, Ferguson etc.. but what has he got to do before someone will give him credit?

So instead of criticising things like the use of the word in a sentence, you tell me who should Al fight then (as the OP asked) for him to be "relevant" in your opinion?

10 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

The dude built himself up into the top 4 ranking and where as I mentioned in the OP I get it how the division is so locked up right now with Poirier, Ferguson etc.. but what has he got to do before someone will give him credit?

Win something more decisive than a 48-47 over a couple more relevant fighters. He has one win over someone that means something. And it wasn't exactly a beatdown, he nearly got subbed in two separate rounds.

Btw, everyone needs to stop pretending like not dying against Khabib is an accomplishment. lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, so you feel he's to earn his stripes more? What are your thoughts on his ranking at the moment and who do you feel he should fight that would be beneficial for him to not only get the credit but to continue to move up and earn that title shot?

give him Justin Gaethje regardless on whether or not he wins against Barboza. thats the peoples fight right there 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cashfl0w said:

Btw, everyone needs to stop pretending like not dying against Khabib is an accomplishment. lol

not getting smashed against Khabib is for sure an accomplishment. hell i'd even say it just comes short of winning the belt 

• Like 1

Gaethje has been wanting the fight for a while hasn't he? I do feel it would be a good fight (I like Gaethje also!) however Al seems to want a higher ranked opponent I guess.

If Al went up against Gaethje it would be good for whoever won that fight as obviously Gaethje is wanting the fight (is he 7th at the moment?) and well if Al was to beat Gaethje it would be a good win to have under his belt, it just seems like Al feels he wants that higher ranked opponent too which obviously makes sense.

I would like to see that fight though @brunofr418, I enjoyed Gaethje's fight against Vick and looking forward to seeing how he does against Barboza, battle of the leg kicks lol

14 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

if Conor fights Cowboy I want to see Al fight Porirer.

Al and Poirier are positioning for new contracts. Peahead specifically said if he isnt fighting for a title he isnt taking another fight unless they redo his deal. Expect Ferg to fight peahead for an interim in the next 4 months. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

Al and Poirier are positioning for new contracts. Peahead specifically said if he isnt fighting for a title he isnt taking another fight unless they redo his deal. Expect Ferg to fight peahead for an interim in the next 4 months. 

Yeah, I saw this as Al said something along the lines of we're both wanting the same thing but he did say to Poirier after "Just sign the contract you aren't going to hold out. It’s me or no one" so who knows.

The Poirier fight makes sense considering Tony is looking at Khabib (depending on that) and Conor with Cerrone it pretty much just leaves Al and Dustin to then go on and go for the shot, wherever that may be.  

7 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Al's never smashed anybody worth a damn, and he wouldn't be starting with Conor.

Inb448-47turnsintoamaulingagain

lol

image.png.a25ee953eab15c3705bb8b61e46fd396.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

tumblr-pjt8ckf-UN81rofocqo1-500.gif

Kindly-Narrow-Flamingo-size-restricted.g

LOL MTP was just on the MMA hour still being delusional....lol what a beating he took.

• Like 2

Al SHOULD fight the Barboza Gaethje winner, since Dustin will prob fight Tony for the interim. He wont get a Conor fight, so that leaves him with no one else to fight.

BUT.. he wont fight the barboza Gaethje winner. the end.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

LOL MTP was just on the MMA hour still being delusional....lol what a beating he took.

Same Al lol

6 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

Al SHOULD fight the Barboza Gaethje winner, since Dustin will prob fight Tony for the interim. He wont get a Conor fight, so that leaves him with no one else to fight.

BUT.. he wont fight the barboza Gaethje winner. the end.

Yeah, Conor's not going to entertain it at the moment, not with the whole Cerrone thing going on etc.. too but I guess Dustin would be good for Al as he's the one left in the rankings a little less tied up (apart from what you mentioned just there of course).

I just feel Al deserves that big fight now and where as I'd love to see the Gaethje fight (as I think it would be a great fight) apart from it being a great win under Al's belt (if he was to win) then he's probably not going to want that either and I guess this goes for Conor not wanting to fight Al for the same reason though he does want to fight Cerrone so I dunno.

That's why I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys thought in regards to who he should fight next, you add some really great insights here.

17 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

I guess Dustin would be good for Al as he's the one left in the rankings a little less tied up (apart from what you mentioned just there of course).

I just feel Al deserves that big fight now and where as I'd love to see the Gaethje fight (as I think it would be a great fight) apart from it being a great win under Al's belt (if he was to win) then he's probably not going to want that either and I guess this goes for Conor not wanting to fight Al for the same reason though he does want to fight Cerrone so I dunno.

That's why I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys thought in regards to who he should fight next, you add some really great insights here.

Dustin isnt fighting Al unless he loses to Ferg.. 

Dustin watched what happened at 229 and knew there was a shot at an interim title against Tony since Khabib couldve been suspended by up to a year. He then pulled out of the Diaz fight with a fake hip injury (was only sidelined for 3 weeks how  bad could it have been) to insulate himself from the chance of losing and preserving his shot at an interim title fight

• Like 1

Yeeeah, I hear you on that. It's so locked up right now there isn't it and of course with Khabib and this interim thing he's kind of lost in the midst a little there which must be quite frustrating.

I guess Al will just have to have this fight, say with Gaethje or Barboza like you say and then go from there, he's just gonna have to have another fight before he gets the fight he wants simply due to how locked up it is, Dustin demanding with his contracts, the Khabib situation, Connor with Cerrone, I dunno, it does seem like it's quite frustrating but I do hope Al gets that big fight he deserves cause I do feel he's earned it now. 

A lot of people don't give Al the credit sometimes and he's earned his stripes so hopefully he'll get that big fight he deserves so he can build himself up even more in the rankings and then eventually earn the title shot as this would be good to see.

2 hours ago, VertFTW said:

lol

image.png.a25ee953eab15c3705bb8b61e46fd396.png

Oh my god, he got black eyes in a twenty-five minute fist fight?!?!? He definitely got beat up!! LOL

2 hours ago, PATSTER said:

Damn Kevin got his **** kicked

Zero injuries from a full length main event. 

Patricia pls 

29 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Oh my god, he got black eyes in a twenty-five minute fist fight?!?!? He definitely got beat up!! LOL

Zero injuries from a full length main event. 

Patricia pls 

image.thumb.png.594d4c72425d0467a71421f0542b6aae.png

raging al should fight conor, and the winner of that fight will have the privilege of being the guy who cleans gsp and khabib's mouthpieces, gloves, and jockstraps for them before and after the two of them have their superfight.

Edited by -idyb-

14 hours ago, America said:

Dana is gonna end up having Conor fight Ferg.

I don't know what the fu*k Dustin has to do to get a title shot.

Seems to be the case with a lot of fighters doesn't it? Specially when the division gets so tied up, I mean within the LW we've got the whole Khabib thing, so if the interim goes the Tony is tied up within that which is probably where Dustin will go as we've got Conor going on about the whole Cerrone thing which leaves Al at 4th and probably where he feels frustrated considering Conor is choosing to fight Cerrone who's 9th in the rankings.

If of course for some reason Khabib fights and this whole things sorts itself out then we've got Tony fighting there, Conor is still going for Cerrone no matter what and that would leave Al to fight Dustin while all that goes on and then the winner of that would obvious then surely get the title shot.

This whole Khabib situation has caused a bit of a mess really hasn't it?

38 minutes ago, -idyb- said:

raging al should fight conor, and the winner of that fight will have the privilege of being the guy who cleans gsp and khabib's mouthpieces, gloves, and jockstraps for them before and after the two of them have their superfight.

I honestly feel he should, like he says in the video in the OP there's no reason why Conor should get an automatic rematch with Khabib other than the fact he brings in the money (which I get it, it's a business but it's also a competition), Conor was knocking Al during the build up with Khabib, Al did go the distance with Khabib no matter how people try to put a spin on that, he did and in around a days notice when Conor had how long to prepare? (I can't even remember) but he had time anyway and he tapped out so let Conor and Al have the fight, they have the common opponent and then have the winner go on to fight Khabib or whoever is holding the title at that point cause again this whole Khabib situation has thrown a spanner in the works hasn't it.

It'll all sort out but my guess is Al is probably going to fight Dustin next but Dustin seems to be kicking and screaming about wanting more now, Al said something in agreement to him with the contracts but he also said to him to just sign the contract, it's him or no one so Al seems a little more along the lines of lets do this but of course Dustin is just above Al in the rankings where as it's the other way round for Dustin so he wants the big shot (which I get it).

The other thing is the Gaethje vs Al fight, obviously as it stands now this isn't really that beneficial to Al other than it would be a great win under his belt if he was to beat Gaethje, but there's more in it for Gaethje than Al considering Gaethje is 7th at the moment so I can understand Al also really not being interested in that fight at the moment. 

Honestly, this whole Khabib thing has really messed things up a little but he obviously feels how he feels so that's that, but should Dustin take the fight with Al and then let him get the big shot if he wins Al while the others have their fights or should he continue to stand his ground to get what he wants? I guess that's subjective but it works the same for Al too with the Gaethje thing and even the Dustin fight to a degree as it's not the biggest shot he wanted but I guess they're just going to have to give and take a little while this stuff sorts itself out and they can go from there.

Dustin vs Tony (Interim)
Conor vs Cerrone (looking likely)
Al vs Gaethje (which isn't ideal for Al and Gaethje has his fight coming up, so may hold out)

I dunno, all depends if Dustin gets that Interim too or does fight Al first but then who does Tony fight, it's a bit up in the air, if only Conor would stick to fighting the higher rankings too and fight either Dustin, Al or Tony and then the rest could sort itself out but it's Conor though and if he wants the Cerrone fight (which I have nothing against) then Conor will get the Cerrone fight. I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Typo
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, America said:

Dana is gonna end up having Conor fight Ferg.

I don't know what the fu*k Dustin has to do to get a title shot.

This ^

So obvious to me that Ferg vs Conor will somehow end up being an interim tile shot (I dont agree but New FC does this things).

56 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

This ^

So obvious to me that Ferg vs Conor will somehow end up being an interim tile shot (I dont agree but New FC does this things).

It's all confusing is this but I can't really gauge where this is going, I know nothing is set in stone but I keep hearing about the Cerrone fight too that it's like, I guess it's down to who Conor chooses.

This is why like I say, although I have nothing against the Cerrone fight (I like Cowboy) but with the whole Khabib thing and this interim no doubt being a thing it would make sense for Conor to fight someone there and then at least no one is going to get left behind to some degree where as if he's tied up with Cowboy, we've got someone left behind which is no doubt going to be Al (who wants to fight around April time I believe) and Dustin also I can understand completely.

Al probably should go up against Dustin next although I know Dustin is wanting that bigger fight but so is Al so maybe they should fight to earn it, sure it's another fight to climb the ranks but this is UFC so, they should go at it.

Although as mentioned in the OP, I do feel Al has good reason to go up against Conor, it just makes a lot of sense however I don't think Conor has much interest in fighting Al so it's all a bit up in the air lately.

Of course there's also Gaethje wanting Al too for a while now which is obviously beneficial for Gaethje though he's got his fight with Barboza coming up so I think that was a pretty good decision at this moment in time.

I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out. 

Don't know if this means anything but both Al and Dustin tweeted this the other day.

Who would you guys have as the winner out of this and how do you see the fight playing out?

I reckon their fighting styles are quite evenly matched and would be a really good fight, obviously I'd want Raging Al to win this but Dustin could get the win too so it would be a tough one to bet on though what do you guys think to this?

1715963337_AlDustinTweets_fw.png.38a9755a16ae139e68e709a1a1777004.png

lol, so basically are you saying I should have made a new thread instead @cashfl0w even though this thread is about Al, who you'd like to see him fight and it fits perfectly here rather than new threads and discussions etc. or are you telling me that I shouldn't have even added that contribution about the Dustin vs Al update? 

You wouldn't be doing that would you? 

Typo

Just don't bump a bunch of your own threads to keep your **** at the top of the page. You know what I meant, junior. I was clear. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Just don't bump a bunch of your own threads to keep your **** at the top of the page. You know what I meant, junior. I was clear. 

Don't tell me what to do. In fact, I'll do it more now and tag you in every one for that.

He's right,  Joe.  

Bumping your own chit about conversations that have already been had 100 times is terrible form. Especially when you're still most likely someone's alt. 

What is with all the clowns saying about alt accounts, you're bloody idiots. No, I've never been on the forum ever until now.

And how the f can a conversation have been had when this whole situation is only happening now, those tweets between Al and Dustin only just happened.

I know what @Marblemeant about you lot now, but whatever, I'll just respond to people who actually can have decent conversations and aren't here just to be idiots. 

Thank f*ck for the ignore list. 

Well Dustin's now saying he ain't gonna fight Al so who knows what's gonna go on there with that. Dustin wants more money and says it's gotta be Tony, Khabib or Max that he fights and if he doesn't get the fights he wants then he's off, said something about "Put the Gold on the line or open up the check book otherwise don't even call my phone UFC" and then something about "Al has a better chance of selling him a house than fighting him at UFC 236", I get it he's frustrated and wants the fight and deserves it too but so do a lot of fighters, what's he gonna do if they don't give him the fight he wants, he'll just give up all he's built up and Al will then move up and get what he wanted anyway so that won't be too good for him will it.

I dunno man, looks like he's gonna have to have that additional fight, if he's that confident then he should be able to get through another fight before getting the shot he wants and deserves.

I like Dustin but there's plenty of fighters who will take his spot sooo.

9 minutes ago, skillandpower said:

Hard topic to discuss

Dont remember the last time I have seen a division being so open with so many reasonable fights.

I hear you, Askren put out a video talking about Dustin and saying how he's just making himself look silly basically because his whole demanding he's doing lately isn't going to work, he doesn't have enough leverage and also he mentioned how UFC don't have to pay anyone more as they're contracted but even if they do it's still silly and there's so many options open with reasonable fights that he could have and take. I mean, he's refusing to fight Al now of which Al just said "Just sign the contract, you're not gonna hold out".

Says it Max, Khabib, Tony or no one, it's like, I like Dustin but he really shouldn't be spitting his dummy (pacifier) out like this and demanding things to the UFC, I mean, he's built himself up to this point now what's he gonna do, walk away? If he does that then some other fighter will just take his spot or Al will get the shot he wanted so that won't work and besides, he's got this pinned tweet that says it's all about perseverance but he doesn't want to persevere anymore he just wants his fight.

I get it he deserves a shot and don't disagree with that but so do a lot of fighters and it's not up to him to decide when he has earned that shot, UFC will decide that so he can't dictate this but I dunno, Askren's take on it anyway, he's right and it's what I thought straight away with this Dustin thing.

I think he's just pushing his luck to see what he can do though I don't think it's gonna do him any favours, he's not really in demand that much with UFC to the point where they will give in to him so I dunno, see what you think :) 

Edit: I'm not sure Askren's video is still there as it's not playing now but it was interesting anyway what he was saying and I agree with him completely.