Jump to content
Welcome_to_Moe's

Fighters you feel had the toughest road to a title shot?

Recommended Posts

As the title says, who do you feel had the toughest road to a title shot?

Some of the names that may be thrown in the mix Cerrone, Ferguson, Khabib, Bisping and Holloway though maybe you agree/disagree and have other fighters you feel deserve this credit however you discuss.

So which fighters do you feel had the toughest road to earning that title shot?

------
Edit: Added this as it's giving the reasons for some of the suggested fighters people may bring up.

 

Edited by Welcome_to_Moe's
Added video link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

As the title says, who do you feel had the toughest road to a title shot?

Some of the names that may be thrown in the mix Cerrone, Ferguson, Khabib, Bisping and Holloway though maybe you agree/disagree and have other fighters you feel deserve this credit however you discuss.

So which fighters do you feel had the toughest road to earning that title shot?

How did you just list Khabib and Bisping one after the other?? One had potentially the easiest route to a title shot ever, and the other had about 70 UFC fights before a guy had to pull out last minute so he could get his title shot..

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was literally just about to comment on how ludicrous it was to say Khabib and Bisping had a tough road to a title shot. Khabib got his shot at the perfect time. Bisping's title shot and win were both based on pure luck. besides the fact Bisping had been well known as a gatekeeper cuz he was always coming within one or two fights of a title shot and losing to high level opponents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ffs! I was just watching this episode on Youtube and Kenny Florian and Alan Jouban give their top 5 fighters who took the toughest road to a title shot and those were the names that cropped up which I wanted to know what people agree'd/disagreed with.

Kenny Florian
5. Cerrone
4. Khabib
3. Lawler
2. Bisping
1. Holloway

Alan Jouban

5. Ortega
4. Cerrone
3. Jones
2. Holloway
1. Ferguson

The order of the fighters I listed were in no particular order.

Want to know the reasons for this, watch this: 

The end! Now discuss and contribute.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

i was gonna. but now that you told me to i wont. 

I was talking to the other dude cause he was just criticising me in the other thread without really contributing to things, over the whole Al beating Kevin Lee thing, it's give and take lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

Khabib had the easiest because every fight he has he makes it look easy. 

 

Hardest was probably Holloway

Khabibs was also against a last minute step in not top 5 fighter in the division.

Max's was tough, Tony Ferguson's will probably be the toughest if he actually gets a legit title shot (interims dont count) just based on how many wins he has  had to string together. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

Khabibs was also against a last minute step in not top 5 fighter in the division.

Max's was tough, Tony Ferguson's will probably be the toughest if he actually gets a legit title shot (interims dont count) just based on how many wins he has  had to string together. 

It doesnt matter if Khabib faced Allah himself or some bum like Conor McGregor, he will smash them. 

 

I forgot about Ferguson. Him too. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, America said:

Didn't Jones have like 4 fights (one a DQ loss) and then got a shot because someone got injured?

I think they're referring to his recent battle back to the title. Fighting the court system is tough. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, America said:

Didn't Jones have like 4 fights (one a DQ loss) and then got a shot because someone got injured?

Pretty sure it was almost 6 fights and the people he fought weren’t a bunch of unranked cans. In fact one of those he walked thru is a current two division champ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For sure Conor McGregor.

He fought some of the greatest to ever do it on the way up; Marcus Brimage, Max Holloway who wasn't good yet, Poirier who wasn't THAT good yet.  Who could forget Diego Brandao! After pwing all of them, he still had to get past Dennis Fuϲking Siver to get a title shot!

Dennis Fuϲking Siver!!!!!!!!!

/thread

 

edit: I'm not sure I used that semi-colon correctly. Suk et nukka

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sobercuban said:

For sure Conor McGregor.

He fought some of the greatest to ever do it on the way up; Marcus Brimage, Max Holloway who wasn't good yet, Poirier who wasn't THAT good yet.  Who could forget Diego Brandao! After pwing all of them, he still had to get past Dennis Fuϲking Siver to get a title shot!

Dennis Fuϲking Siver!!!!!!!!!

/thread

 

edit: I'm not sure I used that semi-colon correctly. Suk et nukka

You did not. As it was preceding a list, you should have used a colon. 

That is the only contribution I will make to this thread. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bj Penn 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

 

Lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skillandpower said:

Lets not forget GSP getting the shot on Bisping 

 

i cant agree with you there.

  gsp already cleaned out a divsion full of all your favorite fighters and legends, and he did it with ease.  his road to take on the best middleweight fighter in the world, take home the belt, and conquer another weight class was fairly easy, despite having put away GOAT's, hall of famers, and previous title holders in other divisions and promotions just to get to that title opportunity

most other fighters would struggle just to accomplish half the things GSP has done when he's bored.   hell if you look at their fight records, most of the other fighters cant even manage to defeat every single opponent theyve ever faced. especially when they get over 25 fights.

Edited by -idyb-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 11:21 PM, Yesterdays_Hero said:

Khabib had to win 26 straight fights

Khabib would have won if it were not for the fact he only fought what 2 ranked fighters in that 26? Tony for me would be number 1 if it were not for the fact he still hasn't got a chance. Holloway wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×