Sign in to follow this  
cashfl0w

Peahead wants out.

Poirier's crying on social media. Feels like he deserves a big fight, or a bump in pay to fight a tater like Iaquinta. If not, he says he wants his release.

What say you? Do you care? Would you notice if he shipped off to Asia with Eddie Alvarez? Did you even notice Eddie Alvarez was missing?

• Like 1

I like Dustin but he's making things difficult, I get it that he feels frustrated and admire anyone who stands up for that but the way he's doing it is just making things more difficult. He says he wants either Max, Tony or Conor or no one but also said he'd fight Nate (which makes no sense how he won't fight Al when Nate is way further down that Al is who's just behind him in the rankings). I agree Dustin deserves a shot and has earned this but it's not for him to decide when he should get this and has earned it, the UFC will do that and there's simply no fight available for him at the moment to give him that big shot, he's just going to have to have another fight but it seems like he doesn't want to.

I mean, is he worried he'll lose his place if he has a loss which would then result in him less likely to get the fight he wants? I dunno, I don't think he's doing himself any favours because if he does go then all he's doing is giving up what he's worked hard for and some other fighter will only take his place and the shot he wants anyway, so it doesn't make sense.

He has a pinned tweet that says "It's all about perseverance" but he doesn't want to persevere anymore. I get it he's frustrated and I agree he's more than earned his shot but so have many fighters and it's not always fair how some get the shot easier than others but it's how it is, a lot of fighters get frustrated but you just gotta keep going until the fight you want comes (which it will).

Honestly, if he was to continue to fight the fights until there is a spot for him to have that shot, if/when he wins that title he will gain a whole lot of respect because we'll all know how much he's earned it and how way overdue it was after he continued to be persistent. 

He makes it awkward for Al too refusing to fight him because that leaves Al without a fight (who Al agreed that he will fight him). Al also wants that Conor fight, Khabib etc.. and doesn't really want the Dustin fight but is willing to take it, as he knows the other fights aren't available at the moment.

Al talking about it here: 

I'd honestly like Dustin to stay, this pull he's doing at the moment isn't going to work, he's not Conor McGregor and doesn't have that kind of pull, the UFC can easily replace him so it's no skin off their nose although I do understand Dustin's frustration because the dude has really earned his shot but always has to punch that little bit higher.

It'll all work out, fighters just have to be a little more patient sometimes and just keep earning their shot which they will get. The fights are all tied up at the moment and with Max possibly in the mix too the availability isn't there, it's just not possible to book the fights, it would make it easier if Conor would fight within the top 4 but I'm not sure he wants to.

If Al fights Dustin and Dustin wins then he deserves that shot and vice versa, but Dustin doesn't want to do that he just wants the shot now. 

Edited by Welcome_to_Moe's
  • Like 5

I came in to call pea-head an entitled can and move on, but feel that would fall short of the high quality set by Moe in this thread. 

In answer to op; he would not be missed. UFC ceased to be a meritocracy decades ago and I can't get excited about poirier fighting anyone really. Dude needs to stay patient and keep winning. He's not a huge draw. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

I came in to call pea-head an entitled can and move on, but feel that would fall short of the high quality set by Moe in this thread. 

In answer to op; he would not be missed. UFC ceased to be a meritocracy decades ago and I can't get excited about poirier fighting anyone really. Dude needs to stay patient and keep winning. He's not a huge draw. 

Same. I think he would do himself some justice to just keep fighting any and everybody. Cowboy is a perfect example of how that can pay off. It sounds like he's fighting Conor next, and that could well have been Peahead's fight if he wasn't so focused on the rankings.

Fighters derail their entire careers over these frivolous rankings, and as you said, this company is not a meritocracy. They give the important fights to guys who put butts in the seats. That's just the sad reality of it. 

I say trade his **** to Bellator for Bobby Lashley and then make the superfight with Brock.

• Like 2

Poirier finishes fights and I've enjoyed a few of the wars he's been in. That's enough for me to keep him around. He is being dramatic as **** though. Take a fight and shut up. They literally just redid his contract and he was bragging about it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

what’s Eddie Alvarez doing in Asia? is he on vacation or somethin? 

Blowing ladyboys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Poirier is exciting and wants to fight more often. I don't care who sells because it doesn't benefit me at all so yes they should give him a big fight and/or more money. 

• Like 7

Everyone's stealing the Diaz bro gimmick and it hasn't worked for a single one of them...including the Diaz brothers

Edited by Yesterdays_Hero
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, Yesterdays_Hero said:

Everyone's stealing the Diaz bro gimmick and it hasn't worked for a single one of them...including the Diaz brothers

I believe they think the Diaz brother routine is what got Nate the fights with Conor. But actually, it was just Nate being ****ing terrible that got him those fights.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

Poirier is exciting and wants to fight more often. I don't care who sells because it doesn't benefit me at all so yes they should give him a big fight and/or more money. 

This

The thing is about the money, they're contracted to what they earn so when they sign a contract they're agreeing to the terms and they don't have to pay them more money.

Ben Askren was saying the other day about this (it's on his Twitter) they don't have to offer you more money, Dustin was apparently very happy with his contract and now all of a sudden he wants to make demands over more money or what fights he should be having.

Dustin doesn't get to decide when he's earned the fight, UFC do and the fights are tied up so he's just going to have to be patient and stop being selfish about which fight he should/shouldn't be having cause he's making it difficult for other fighters and leaving them without a fight due to his refusal and demands. I absolutely get his frustration (as mentioned above) but it's just how it is until theirs a spot open for you to finally get that shot you deserve. UFC like fighters who are ready and willing to take fights, even on a last minute notice, so if he's going to be difficult to work with he's only damaging his own relationship with the UFC and hurting himself in the long run cause they'll just not want to book him eventually and then what? 

Fighters need to stop acting entitled, venting frustration is fine and I get that completely (and admire that too when they take a stand) but they're replaceable by someone more willing to take the fights who will then make more money while also creating a name for themselves (which will then enable them to make money, even after their UFC career is done).

Man look at people like Ric Flair in the wrestling business who made his name in that sh*tty industry and persevered and now he gets like $15,000 plus just for making an appearance and why, cause he played the game while in the business and that's what you need to do. These fighters will get their shot but they have to persevere and bide their time until their shot eventually comes (which it will). 

They will be rewarded for all their frustrations if they bide their time while it passes until theirs no other option but for them to get their shot, their time will come. 

Is it sh*tty? yes, is it frustrating? hell yeah! Is it fair? not really, and most of us will agree these guys HAVE earned their shot, however they're just part of a big machine which they chose to do and they just have to bide their time until their time comes.

But, most of them don't see things in the bigger picture and want things now, now, now which isn't possible or does it work that way, it's disrespectful to those who are currently having their time too (who have also gone through the frustrations and are being rewarded now) and it won't do you any favours trying to demand to a company that can easily replace you with the next man who is more willing to persevere and wait for his time to come.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

The thing is about the money, they're contracted to what they earn so when they sign a contract they're agreeing to the terms and they don't have to pay them more money.

he doesnt have to fight if he doesnt want to either so it works both ways...if a guy is being underpaid its in the UFC's best interest to keep them happy (I.e see how they have treated the black beast for example).

8 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

he doesnt have to fight if he doesnt want to either so it works both ways...if a guy is being underpaid its in the UFC's best interest to keep them happy (I.e see how they have treated the black beast for example).

I get that and the UFC probably should give them more but they don't have to and they're not in a place to demand that, they're going to be less encouraged to want to pay them more money when they carry on like this and make it difficult for them, I know I wouldn't want to pay them more if they started demanding at me.

The thing is, they're making it difficult for the UFC too? They can't book everything and why won't Dustin just take the fight with Al? What's the problem with that, cause he wants his shot now cause he says so?

Doing this he's also leaving Al without a fight (who said he was willing to take it, even though it's not his ideal fight either, see the video above when he says I'm ready, I'll fight whatever they need at the moment until they get the place to get their shot) so Dustin is causing problems for Al there now too and no doubt going to frustrate Al, he's being selfish.

I completely agree Dustin has earned his shot, 100% and I absolutely understand his frustration which he has every right to vent but the thing it's all tied up now they simply can't book everything at once and please everyone, if Conor would be more willing to fight within the top 4 too that would help but Conor does what Conor wants.

Honestly, they just need to bide their time and continue to do their thing and earn their stripes, they'll eventually get the fight they want and when they do, they'll absolutely deserve that title more than anyone, they've just gotta persevere but some of them don't want to do that, they just want things at their demand and that's not how it works. 

8 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

I get that and the UFC probably should give them more but they don't have to and they're not in a place to demand that, they're going to be less encouraged to want to pay them more money when they carry on like this and make it difficult for them, I know I wouldn't want to pay them more if they started demanding at me.

The thing is, they're making it difficult for the UFC too? They can't book everything and why won't Dustin just take the fight with Al? What's the problem with that, cause he wants his shot now cause he says so?

Doing this he's also leaving Al without a fight (who said he was willing to take it, even though it's not his ideal fight either, see the video above when he says I'm ready, I'll fight whatever they need at the moment until they get the place to get their shot) so Dustin is causing problems for Al there now too and no doubt going to frustrate Al, he's being selfish.

I completely agree Dustin has earned his shot, 100% and I absolutely understand his frustration which he has every right to vent but the thing it's all tied up now they simply can't book everything at once and please everyone, if Conor would be more willing to fight within the top 4 too that would help but Conor does what Conor wants.

Honestly, they just need to bide their time and continue to do their thing and earn their stripes, they'll eventually get the fight they want and when they do, they'll absolutely deserve that title more than anyone, they've just gotta persevere but some of them don't want to do that, they just want things at their demand and that's not how it works. 

Al waited until tickets went on sale for his fight with Gaethje before he pulled out. He doesn't get to complain about people being selfish. He's the king of being selfish.

Look at what Al's doing right now. He's demanding a fight with someone ranked above him. But what was Lee ranked when they fought, and what was Al ranked? How would Al have ever gotten to that spot if Lee did what he's doing right now? 

It's a similar situation at welterweight too. Everybody thinks they need a guy ranked above them, but logically, that's just not how it works. Now watch what will happen when Askren gets plopped into the top of the rankings when he beats Lawler. It'll grind even further to a halt because nobody will want to risk a humping from Askren, and Funky will not fight Woodley. They'll almost be forced to open 165/175 to try to separate those two.

• Like 1

They are prize fighters first and foremost so of course they want more money and they know bigger fights will give them more money. That is pretty much every fighter on the roster.

Hell, even Cowboy said he is gonna pick and chose his fights now.

They problem is you have 3 to 4 guys at LW that could all be next in line for a title shot and a champ that is out until Nov. 

As great as the LW division is, it has been a mess for a couple years now and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.

Edited by America
  • Like 2

I'm generally disappointed when a top 10 fighter moves to another organization. Especially when we are subjected to some cards full of nobodies.

I do like Dustin's fights and hope he stays but he needs to pipe down, I'm sure they are going to shower this division in interim belts in no time. 

The time to negotiate a more lucrative contract is before you sign it, not after.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

Al waited until tickets went on sale for his fight with Gaethje before he pulled out. He doesn't get to complain about people being selfish. He's the king of being selfish.

Look at what Al's doing right now. He's demanding a fight with someone ranked above him. But what was Lee ranked when they fought, and what was Al ranked? How would Al have ever gotten to that spot if Lee did what he's doing right now? 

It's a similar situation at welterweight too. Everybody thinks they need a guy ranked above them, but logically, that's just not how it works. Now watch what will happen when Askren gets plopped into the top of the rankings when he beats Lawler. It'll grind even further to a halt because nobody will want to risk a humping from Askren, and Funky will not fight Woodley. They'll almost be forced to open 165/175 to try to separate those two.

They've all probably done it at some point and I get it cause they get very frustrated, they work their asses off and don't always get the rewards they should when they should but eventually they do, as of now Al isn't demanding any fight, watch the video above, he says "I'm thinking it's gonna be Dustin, that's the fight they're (UFC) trying to make, so whoever it is, Tony, if Max comes up, Conor, Cowboy (who is lower than Al in rankings), any of those guys, I'm ready to go, I don't care who it is, I'm ready to fight" so right now, he's not, it's just UFC are pushing the Dustin fight which makes sense but Dustin is saying no he wants Max, Conor, Tony or Nate (?). Al also continues to say "We're all gonna fight it out while Khabibs sitting it out and doing his suspension, whoevers at the top at that time is gonna get the title shot", so as of now, Al's not being difficult at all and willing to take the fight while all that mess gets sorted out, it's Dustin who is being difficult at the moment. 

Of course Al has been like this before too, I don't disagree with that as Al has spoke a lot of crap about the organisation and the way he's been treated in the past before too however right now, he hasn't and has been very patient while all this is going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if Al does get frustrated soon though because I'm sure his patience is running thin while Dustin is refusing to fight him yet saying he'll fight this guy and that guy and even Nate (who's well down in the rankings), I mean what's up with Dustin refusing to fight Al while this all sorts itself out? Al's willing and it's not the big fight he's aiming for either so, it's only one fight before Dustin gets the shot he wants but he just doesn't want to do that anymore.

1:25 - 2:26 in here, he's talking about it saying he's ready to fight whoever while they work it out as he also says how the winner will fight Khabib in November at that point (meaning he's willing to earn that too), so he's not being difficult at all though I wouldn't blame him if he did before long with all this. Have a quick watch :)

I hear you about the WW, I think the same thing stands for all fighters really in regards to how they've just gotta earn their stripes, it's not always fair and some have to go to huge lengths to do so but like I say, if/once they do get there then that title is absolutely earned, this is why it makes me wonder if Dustin's just worried about getting a loss before hand and losing that shot which I'm not sure is the case cause he's more than capable of winning fights.

I dunno, it'll all sort itself out anyway and this won't mean anything a week or so from now or whatever lol 

Dana needs to go the Bellator route and just have a tournament for the LW belt. then once Khabib comes back he fights the winner 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, America said:

They are prize fighters first and foremost so of course they want more money and they know bigger fights will give them more money. That is pretty much every fighter on the roster.

Hell, even Cowboy said he is gonna pick and choose his fights now.

They problem is you have 3 to 4 guys at LW that could all be next in line for a title shot and a champ that is out until Nov. 

As great as the LW division is, it has been a mess for a couple years now and that doesn't look like it's changing anytime soon.

Yep, pretty much it! It's just sometimes they have to bide their time to get those fights that's all.

You pretty much nailed it there. 

8 minutes ago, Decompoze said:

I'm generally disappointed when a top 10 fighter moves to another organization. Especially when we are subjected to some cards full of nobodies.

I do like Dustin's fights and hope he stays but he needs to pipe down, I'm sure they are going to shower this division in interim belts in no time. 

The time to negotiate a more lucrative contract is before you sign it, not after.

Exactly!

(I tried to edit this into my post above to save posts but not sure how to copy & paste a quote?)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

Dana needs to go the Bellator route and just have a tournament for the LW belt. then once Khabib comes back he fights the winner 

not  a bad idea...but it would probably be bad for business.

23 minutes ago, America said:

Hell, even Cowboy said he is gonna pick and choose his fights now.

5 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

Yep, pretty much it! It's just sometimes they have to bide their time to get those fights that's all.

You pretty much nailed it there. 

I don't know the fix and you are right. Unfortunately, the UFC is a business and an entertaining one at that. Also in a 4 billion dollar hole. Which, it SHOULD be a perfect marriage. Entertainment business and prize fighters. I assume the majority of the people in THIS forum want the divisions to get sorted out and fights to make sense. The UFC seems to want to put on fights that are going to sell, but don't totally make sense. Max is calling for a 155 title fight, Khabib is calling for a super fight with GSP. Which are all great for the UFC and the general fan, but there is a big standstill at the top of 155 that needs to be sorted before those top guys start fighting out of division opponents. Al and Barboza fought on the same card in December. I feel the UFC could have turned those guys around in March/April against some of the top guys or even against each other and let Tony/Dustin fight for an interim and Al and Barboza can fight that winner for a shot at Khabib on the New Years card. Max can fight Frankie or Volkanovski. I think the problem with Conor fighting any of the top guys, he would hold out and cause a stir and want a shot at the title right away if he won. And the UFC is probably trying to get him a fight where he is a favorite because him losing 2 in a row looks a little bad on him.

Now, injuries happen and that sounds better on paper. But I think the fix is getting these guys fights because that is what they get paid to do, and the UFC holds out and holds out trying to make the biggest money fight and then it turns into guys like Dustin like, "eff this, I want to get paid and get my shot" where as if the UFC just got him an opponent, the whole problem would be avoided because they'd be fighting and making headway to a title shot. 

• Like 1

Just now, VertFTW said:

not  a bad idea...but it would probably be bad for business.

how? 8 or 16 man tourney, do all first round fights on the same night and have the card headlined by Conor vs Tony or Diaz and co main'd by Al vs Dustin. make it a PPV and boom new PPV record 

42 minutes ago, Decompoze said:

Dustin can headline cards so I think he should have every right to complain and just not fight until they reach a agreement. If I was him I would refuse to fight until they figure it out since he has some leverage.

Your last statement applies to fighters that have no leverage....dont think thats the case with Dustin IMO.

2 minutes ago, brunofr418 said:

how? 8 or 16 man tourney, do all first round fights on the same night and have the card headlined by Conor vs Tony or Diaz and co main'd by Al vs Dustin. make it a PPV and boom new PPV record 

If Conor gets taken out in the first round...lol....then what? nobody will care.

10 minutes ago, Bohemoglu13 said:

I don't know the fix and you are right. Unfortunately, the UFC is a business and an entertaining one at that. Also in a 4 billion dollar hole. Which, it SHOULD be a perfect marriage. Entertainment business and prize fighters. I assume the majority of the people in THIS forum want the divisions to get sorted out and fights to make sense. The UFC seems to want to put on fights that are going to sell, but don't totally make sense. Max is calling for a 155 title fight, Khabib is calling for a super fight with GSP. Which are all great for the UFC and the general fan, but there is a big standstill at the top of 155 that needs to be sorted before those top guys start fighting out of division opponents. Al and Barboza fought on the same card in December. I feel the UFC could have turned those guys around in March/April against some of the top guys or even against each other and let Tony/Dustin fight for an interim and Al and Barboza can fight that winner for a shot at Khabib on the New Years card. Max can fight Frankie or Volkanovski. I think the problem with Conor fighting any of the top guys, he would hold out and cause a stir and want a shot at the title right away if he won. And the UFC is probably trying to get him a fight where he is a favorite because him losing 2 in a row looks a little bad on him.

Now, injuries happen and that sounds better on paper. But I think the fix is getting these guys fights because that is what they get paid to do, and the UFC holds out and holds out trying to make the biggest money fight and then it turns into guys like Dustin like, "eff this, I want to get paid and get my shot" where as if the UFC just got him an opponent, the whole problem would be avoided because they'd be fighting and making headway to a title shot. 

Really great post! Al was talking about they were looking at April for him to be back into the Octagon, they were working on the Dustin fight but Dustin said something about how Al's got more chance of selling him a house than getting the fight (it's not even Al's ideal fight he's just taking it cause the rest is tied up right now) but obviously with all this going on it's affecting other fighters now due to stubborn and demands and then this is going to cause then to get frustrated and lose their patience too, which I don't blame them to be honest.

Honestly, if they'd take the fights that are offered and make sense at the moment while the other fights are doing and sorted it out it would all be easier but while some are being difficult it's making it hard on the rest and like I say, it's affecting other fighters now.

They will all get their shot if they continue to win and earn their stripes and even if they do have a couple of losses in between, they can still easily build themselves to eventually get that shot anyway which I do feel they all will with a little patience and perseverance.

Some do just have to punch a little higher than others and it's not always fair but it's how it is and at least when those who have had to punch that little bit higher do win their titles, the fans will notice that as will the people in the business and the respect will be huge.

But most of them don't see that and they just want everything when they say they should be having them but that's not how it works.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

If Conor gets taken out in the first round...lol....then what? nobody will care.

Tony will be a bigger draw for the next one as the guy who took out Conor 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, VertFTW said:

Dustin can headline cards so I think he should have every right to complain and just not fight until they reach a agreement. If I was him I would refuse to fight until they figure it out since he has some leverage.

Your last statement applies to fighters that have no leverage....dont think thats the case with Dustin IMO.

Hmmm, but does the UFC see him as having this leverage? Or do they see him as simply a top ten guy who can headline a non ppv card? If it's the latter (which I believe it is) then they aren't going to bend.

Fighters like Conor have actual leverage (Proper 12 endorsement, ability to renegotiate contract after every fight, Mayweather fiasco) due to the ppv he brings in. The UFC isn't going to go out of their way to make Poirier happy. I do hope they agree on something but I still think if he demands to be released, UFC will say **** em.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

Really great post! Al was talking about they were looking at April for him to be back into the Octagon, they were working on the Dustin fight but Dustin said something about how Al's got more chance of selling him a house than getting the fight (it's not even Al's ideal fight he's just taking it cause the rest is tied up right now) but obviously with all this going on it's affecting other fighters now due to stubborn and demands and then this is going to cause then to get frustrated and lose their patience too, which I don't blame them to be honest.

Honestly, if they'd take the fights that are offered and make sense at the moment while the other fights are doing and sorted it out it would all be easier but while some are being difficult it's making it hard on the rest and like I say, it's affecting other fighters now.

They will all get their shot if they continue to win and earn their stripes and even if they do have a couple of losses in between, they can still easily build themselves to eventually get that shot anyway which I do feel they all will with a little patience and perseverance.

Some do just have to punch a little higher than others and it's not always fair but it's how it is and at least when those who have had to punch that little bit higher do win their titles, the fans will notice that as will the people in the business and the respect will be huge.

But most of them don't see that and they just want everything when they say they should be having them but that's not how it works.

Yea, we can talk about how it easy it COULD be but unfortunately don't know all the ins and outs. But we can certainly assume we know the ins and outs and debate and have a good time with it. I appreciate the fighters literally taking a beating for my entertainment, their livelihoods at risk so I want them to make money while they can. I don't want to use the word entitled to describe their actions when negotiating for the reasons I just stated, but the part that sucks for them is, they know they just went through a war and want to get paid for it. Not all the fans saw it the same way or even saw it at all. And the best way to go out and make money is to go out there and fight and get eyes on you so the casual fan wants to see you do that again. And again, easier said than done, but is the fix for that to do what Al and Barboza did in December? put on a war on free TV (I assume take a slight pay cut because not a PPV) and get people to buy their next PPV? I don't know, but I am not about to tell Barboza after that Hooker fight to "hey, why don't you fight on another fight night card for less money because people are really starting to like you and maybe one more war like that will put you over the edge and we'll make a LOT of money with you on PPV!" 

But you are right that, if they all just fight and earn their stripes, Al can go in there and lose his next fight and still put on a show and fans are still going to want to see him fight Tony even though he lost, they don't want to see him fight some guy they never heard of before and be punished for a close call decision. So catch 22 between needing to fight to make the big bucks, and holding out for the big bucks while youre not fighting and people not seeing you fight to get more money. 

I wish they'd end the Conor antics because he is not the rule, he is the exception to the rule. He came around in the perfect time, Jon Jones first suspension, Ronda started to lose, Anderson lost twice, then got popped. Pettis, who they put a lot of stock in started losing. The UFC was in desperate need of a super star and Conor stepped up. The timing could not have been perfect and cannot be duplicated in my opinion. Fighters need to step away from those antics and fight again. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Decompoze said:

Hmmm, but does the UFC see him as having this leverage? Or do they see him as simply a top ten guy who can headline a non ppv card? If it's the latter (which I believe it is) then they aren't going to bend.

Fighters like Conor have actual leverage (Proper 12 endorsement, ability to renegotiate contract after every fight, Mayweather fiasco) due to the ppv he brings in. The UFC isn't going to go out of their way to make Poirier happy. I do hope they agree on something but I still think if he demands to be released, UFC will say **** em.

This is it 100%. Dustin really doesn't have the leverage or the pull to give demands to the UFC, he's not Conor McGregor and there are plenty of other fighters who can (and will) easily fill his spot.

Dustin has worked hard and built himself up to where he is now so why would he give that up for some other fighter to just take that, all he would do then is be seeing some other guy getting what he walked away for in the first place.

He just wants the fight he wants now and doesn't want to have to work anymore for it, it really does contradict with his pinned tweet which says "It's all about perseverance" because right now, he's not willing to do that anymore.

Shame really, cause he's a great fighter and I'd love to see him stay but UFC love fighters who are willing to fight and take on any fight they can at short notice while they plan their events, if they become difficult and go against that they're going to be hesitant to give you more opportunity in the future and for what, all because they couldn't have a little more patience and a couple more fights before they get their shot at the fight they eventually want. 

They'll probably sort it all out anyway, it's just at the moment since he's heard all about these fights that are looking to be going ahead and it's not the one's he wanted, he'll no doubt take the Iaquinta fight complain about it and then go on to get the fight he wants (if he's to beat Al).

I reckon both of them will eventually get a shot at some point anyway, it's just a case of as and when really and when their time comes cause lets say Al or Dustin went on to win the title however long down the line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a fight between Al and Dustin at that point either (which I bet Dustin will be willing to fight Al then). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Decompoze said:

The Black Beast was in the same boat as Porier is now...can headline non ppv card..yet he has recieved multiple restructures to his deal in the last couple of years...almost no questions asked by the UFC in his case. hmmm

18 minutes ago, Bohemoglu13 said:

Yea, we can talk about how it easy it COULD be but unfortunately don't know all the ins and outs. But we can certainly assume we know the ins and outs and debate and have a good time with it. I appreciate the fighters literally taking a beating for my entertainment, their livelihoods at risk so I want them to make money while they can. I don't want to use the word entitled to describe their actions when negotiating for the reasons I just stated, but the part that sucks for them is, they know they just went through a war and want to get paid for it. Not all the fans saw it the same way or even saw it at all. And the best way to go out and make money is to go out there and fight and get eyes on you so the casual fan wants to see you do that again. And again, easier said than done, but is the fix for that to do what Al and Barboza did in December? put on a war on free TV (I assume take a slight pay cut because not a PPV) and get people to buy their next PPV? I don't know, but I am not about to tell Barboza after that Hooker fight to "hey, why don't you fight on another fight night card for less money because people are really starting to like you and maybe one more war like that will put you over the edge and we'll make a LOT of money with you on PPV!" 

But you are right that, if they all just fight and earn their stripes, Al can go in there and lose his next fight and still put on a show and fans are still going to want to see him fight Tony even though he lost, they don't want to see him fight some guy they never heard of before and be punished for a close call decision. So catch 22 between needing to fight to make the big bucks, and holding out for the big bucks while youre not fighting and people not seeing you fight to get more money. 

I wish they'd end the Conor antics because he is not the rule, he is the exception to the rule. He came around in the perfect time, Jon Jones first suspension, Ronda started to lose, Anderson lost twice, then got popped. Pettis, who they put a lot of stock in started losing. The UFC was in desperate need of a super star and Conor stepped up. The timing could not have been perfect and cannot be duplicated in my opinion. Fighters need to step away from those antics and fight again. 

Exactly!!! Also there is the part to bare in mind that yes, the UFC can (and probably should) give them more money but the contracts they signed too, they know the score and they are covered in those contracts too which they agreed to at the time, if UFC offer them more money it's a bonus but they already signed a contract that they know they can feel underpaid with, it's a known thing with fighters for a long time.

There's a video on Ben Askrens Twitter of him talking about it with the contracts, although it's common sense anyway but yeah, a lot of the fighters don't see the bigger picture, they just see the now and want the payday right now yet if they were a little wiser and realised that the bigger they build themselves the more money they will earn long term then they wouldn't be throwing out careers over temporary situations, which is what they are doing now. 

I know the wrestling thing is different to the UFC in regards to obviously wrestling is scripted and pre determined but the business is the same and it's still frustrating and unfair for a lot of talent who don't get the push they want and become difficult backstage and guess what, those one's you don't even really hear of (or even know) now. Lots of wrestlers also get way underpaid, complain, leave, spit their dummies out etc... and then later down the line they have nothing and walk away to never get booked again or be even heard of, then you get others like Ric Flair for example who just do what the business want (because it's their business) and need at the time and they make a big name out of it and guess what, Ric Flair is now not only a household name due to being around for many years but he also earns a sh*t load of money for even walking in a room and saying "Hi" to people, like $15000 a time and why? Because he persisted, worked his **** off, earned his stripes, got through the frustrations of the business and did the whole give and take thing when his boss (Vince McMahon) needed and it rewarded him.

Dustin walking away from UFC will do nothing for him long term, people can talk about Bellator but the truth is it's no where near the platform which UFC is at the moment and won't ever be as rewarding as what UFC will in the long run both financially and professionally. 

I absolutely agree with fighters taking a stand and standing up for themselves but they don't really have the pull they think they do and they will never win, they simply cannot make demands like this, they can absolutely vent their frustrations but there's a difference between venting frustrations and making demands and when you're lucky enough to be in the company many people would only dream of being in, you have to remember that and you're not bigger than the machine that made you, you're just a pawn in the game and it's the wise one's who go on and make a lot of money long term. 

I guess it's a battle of pride and ego and if you're willing to put that aside or not, if you're not then don't expect big rewards later down the line.

• Like 1

Lets see the numbers... Poirier in his last fight made LESS base salary 85K in his WIN than the guy he KO'd lol....... only because he made a decent bonus he did ok...

Dustin Poirier: $170,000 (includes $85,000 win bonus)
def. Justin Gaethje: $110,000

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/ufc-on-fox-29-salaries-glendale-fight-purses-dustin-poirier

The Black Beast in his last NON TITLE fight got 130k to show...

Derrick Lewis: $260,000 (includes $130,000 win bonus)
def. Francis Ngannou: $100,000

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/07/ufc-226-salaries-payouts-fight-purses-daniel-cormier-stipe-miocic-derrick-lewis-anthony-pettis-six-figures

I feel they are similar fighters(have exciting fights, can headline non ppv fights, likable etc)...and actually Poirer has more UFC experience and is making less....how can anyone say this is fair? You guys are retarded.

Edited by VertFTW
  • Like 1

If you read through the comments you will see no one has said this is fair, no one ever said the UFC was fair or the business in general, I know I said numerous times how it's not fair but it is how it is and it doesn't change the fact that they can't make the demands like this.

You can show all the facts and figures you like but at the end of the day if they don't have the pull (which they don't) then they can (and will) be replaced by the next fighter who is willing to step up.

7 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

Poirier's crying on social media. Feels like he deserves a big fight, or a bump in pay to fight a tater like Iaquinta. If not, he says he wants his release.

What say you? Do you care? Would you notice if he shipped off to Asia with Eddie Alvarez? Did you even notice Eddie Alvarez was missing?

He shouldnt have faked that hip injury in hopes of landing an interim against tony. Hes going to miss not getting that pay day against Nate.

Just wait until they announce Tony v Max and he starts talking about how he submitted max 7 years ago. 

15 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

He shouldnt have faked that hip injury in hopes of landing an interim against tony. Hes going to miss not getting that pay day against Nate.

Just wait until they announce Tony v Max and he starts talking about how he submitted max 7 years ago. 

It's funny cause he's saying he wants that big fight and that it's either Max, Tony, Conor or no one and then later says he'll fight Nate who's like 13th but he won't fight anyone else lol  

Just now, Welcome_to_Moe's said:

It's funny cause he's saying he wants that big fight and that it's either Max, Tony, Conor or no one and then later says he'll fight Nate who's like 13th but he won't fight anyone else lol  

Before 229 : hes talking chit and ready to go

A few days after 229 knowing Khabib will be suspended and he has a chance to get booked against tony for an interim: He announces a "hip injury" and pulls out against nate

3 weeks later : hes back to training and hard sparring and promoting fashionova mens clothing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shkrelz said:

Before 229 : hes talking chit and ready to go

A few days after 229 knowing Khabib will be suspended and he has a chance to get booked against tony for an interim: He announces a "hip injury" and pulls out against nate

3 weeks later : hes back to training and hard sparring and promoting fashionova mens clothing

Yeah, I think he just wants what he wants but it's not like he can demand like that.

I mean, I like Dustin, I think he's a fantastic fighter who's earned his spot but all this sh*t is just ridiculous, he's ranked 3 and Al's 4 but says Al's got more chance of selling him a house than getting that fight (Al wants that bigger fight too but said he will fight Dustin) yet he'll fight Nate who's ranked 13, it makes no sense.

If he's so good he should just take the fight with Al, beat Al (as he feels he will) and then get his shot against whoever he wants, why won't he do that?

I'm onto you welcome to Schmoe's. Go beg for clicks elsewhere.  Wall of text writing foglet

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, cashfl0w said:

I actually didn't, and that just reminded me that Will Brooks was a UFC fighter at one point. Did you get sent back to King of the Cage?

14 minutes ago, 12er© said:

I actually didn't, and that just reminded me that Will Brooks was a UFC fighter at one point. Did you get sent back to King of the Cage?

I'm not Will Brooks, so no. I think he might have, yes.

• Like 1