Sign in to follow this  
freddievanhalen3

The Boys Season 1/ Preacher Season 4 (Comic Books Thread)

15 minutes ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

@TigerChamp dont you read comics?

I used to read everything i could get my hands on, but nothing recently unfortunately. Ive been trying as best i can to stay away for a while, dont want  to be too influenced by other work while im writing

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TigerChamp said:

I used to read everything i could get my hands on, but nothing recently unfortunately. Ive been trying as best i can to stay away for a while, dont want  to be too influenced by other work while im writing

That's right! How is that going for you?! I hope it's going well!! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

That's right! How is that going for you?! I hope it's going well!! 

Very slowly coming along mayne, its grown considerably since the first idea, just have to keep plugging along lol

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TigerChamp said:

Very slowly coming along mayne, its grown considerably since the first idea, just have to keep plugging along lol

Good **** man I want to check it out once you get far enough 

• Like 2

started reading the GoT graphic novel. it's closer to the books but without the 100's of pages of only description 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brunofr418 said:

started reading the GoT graphic novel. it's closer to the books but without the 100's of pages of only description 

1didnt even know they had those 

• Like 2

@OzStraya You ready for The Boys or what?!?! also have you watched and of Preacher? Me and my lady are watching it now... on the 3rd season and although way different from the book still a damn good show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

@OzStraya You ready for The Boys or what?!?! also have you watched and of Preacher? Me and my lady are watching it now... on the 3rd season and although way different from the book still a damn good show

Oh hell yes I am.  I really hope it stays,  the fact they're cutting Preacher short has rustled me badly..  I was skeptical of preacher given its probably my favourite graphic novel of all time but it won me over with the last season they just nailed perfectly. It diverts too much on some storylines but hits others perfectly so overall I feel it's a good enough balance. The casting was nearly perfect.  I came to accept TV Tulip and nearly liked her more than book tulip for a while too.

Still waiting for someone to get the balls to tackle transmetropolitan though. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OzStraya said:

Oh hell yes I am.  I really hope it stays,  the fact they're cutting Preacher short has rustled me badly..  I was skeptical of preacher given its probably my favourite graphic novel of all time but it won me over with the last season they just nailed perfectly. It diverts too much on some storylines but hits others perfectly so overall I feel it's a good enough balance. The casting was nearly perfect.  I came to accept TV Tulip and nearly liked her more than book tulip for a while too.

Still waiting for someone to get the balls to tackle transmetropolitan though. 

I hate TV Tulip.. I dont know what it is.. I think the fact that shes not hot pisses me off.. and shes always whining... I mean she did do that alot in the book too but still.... I really hope they stick closer to the book with The Boys.... I am actually just finishing up reading the story arch for the first time

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

I hate TV Tulip.. I dont know what it is.. I think the fact that shes not hot pisses me off.. and shes always whining... I mean she did do that alot in the book too but still.... I really hope they stick closer to the book with The Boys.... I am actually just finishing up reading the story arch for the first time

Some casting with the boys has bugged me already too but I'll have patience.  And re: not hot Tulip I know right?  It's like she's some asexual lesbian or something.  Plus the fact she's a walking action hero when comic tulip was just a good shot.  

I'm going to revisit the boys soon but I recently got my hands on the Loan Wolf and Cub omnibus so I'm working through that.  It's fooking amazing fyi. Right up there with my all time favourite 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OzStraya said:

Some casting with the boys has bugged me already too but I'll have patience.  And re: not hot Tulip I know right?  It's like she's some asexual lesbian or something.  Plus the fact she's a walking action hero when comic tulip was just a good shot.  

I'm going to revisit the boys soon but I recently got my hands on the Loan Wolf and Cub omnibus so I'm working through that.  It's fooking amazing fyi. Right up there with my all time favourite 

Loan Wolf never Heard of it.. What is it about? Ye I m rereading Preacher and The Boys for the first time right now.. both amazing.. plus today is my birthday so I got a ton of comics for it so I have a stack i need to read through.. but is the next season of Preacher supposed to be the last?

6 minutes ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

Loan Wolf never Heard of it.. What is it about? Ye I m rereading Preacher and The Boys for the first time right now.. both amazing.. plus today is my birthday so I got a ton of comics for it so I have a stack i need to read through.. but is the next season of Preacher supposed to be the last?

Happy birthday bro!  What's the plans for the day?  

Yeah they killed off Preacher so the next season will rush through all the content left :(

Lone wolf and cub is the manga which all of the Baby Cart / Shogun Assassin samurai films were based on.  There's about 15 I think of the omnibus version,  600+ page books but they're absolutely epic and completely absorbing works.  

Frank Miller cites it to be his biggest inspiration. 

Tarantino lists it as one of his all time favourite films.  

Road to Perdition is basically a tribute to it.  

Here's a good recent article about it and whether the Hollywood remake machine should attempt it. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/17747-how-lone-wolf-and-cub-can-work-in-hollywood

lone-wolf-and-cub-1618597.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OzStraya said:

Happy birthday bro!  What's the plans for the day?  

Yeah they killed off Preacher so the next season will rush through all the content left :(

Lone wolf and cub is the manga which all of the Baby Cart / Shogun Assassin samurai films were based on.  There's about 15 I think of the omnibus version,  600+ page books but they're absolutely epic and completely absorbing works.  

Frank Miller cites it to be his biggest inspiration. 

Tarantino lists it as one of his all time favourite films.  

Road to Perdition is basically a tribute to it.  

Here's a good recent article about it and whether the Hollywood remake machine should attempt it. 

https://www.inverse.com/article/17747-how-lone-wolf-and-cub-can-work-in-hollywood

lone-wolf-and-cub-1618597.jpg

Oh ok... and damn I will have to check that out... Today I have been at my ladies moms house hanging out with her and her son... just been watching Preacher and Money Heist on Netflix pretty much all day.. and reading comics.. so its been a pretty damn good day... and thank you! I think I have asked you before but do you read any super hero comics? I got The Blue Beetle rebirth and Atom rebirth for my birthday.. they are some of my favorite lesser known heroes.. did you ever check out Crossed by Ennis?

15 minutes ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

Oh ok... and damn I will have to check that out... Today I have been at my ladies moms house hanging out with her and her son... just been watching Preacher and Money Heist on Netflix pretty much all day.. and reading comics.. so its been a pretty damn good day... and thank you! I think I have asked you before but do you read any super hero comics? I got The Blue Beetle rebirth and Atom rebirth for my birthday.. they are some of my favorite lesser known heroes.. did you ever check out Crossed by Ennis?

Never dabbled in superhero actually, I prefer my comics a bit darker lol

Oh yeah I've read heaps of crossed..  There's a lot of arcs that I haven't covered but the stories tend to seem the same. Any arcs you'd recommend?  

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:02 PM, OzStraya said:

Never dabbled in superhero actually, I prefer my comics a bit darker lol

Oh yeah I've read heaps of crossed..  There's a lot of arcs that I haven't covered but the stories tend to seem the same. Any arcs you'd recommend?  

For Crossed... Vol 6 Badlands is probably my favorite.. If you like really dark comics.. Crossed Vol 3 Psychopath is nuts! really creepy but good. Also Crossed wish you were hear is a good one.. it as a web comic but they made trades for it later. Also a little different but dark and pretty funny is Witch Doctor.. its about a doctor that deals with special cases.. possessed kids, vampires witches and ghosts stuff like that. If you arent into heros much but into dark stuff check out Luthor Strode hes a super hero but its really dark and not much like some basic DC or Marvel hero 

8 hours ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

**** yea watching episode 1 right now... Oz you check it out yet?!?!

Gonna start it tonight. Hearing good things and need more non-Disneyfied super hero movies. 

• Like 1

with 2 kiwis in there I'll binge watch it at some point these holidays 

• Like 2

Havent finished it yet.. but so far pretty damn good... I just wish they would stick with the same story arch as the book... I mean look how well that did... I think it will be closer to the book than Preacher is

4 minutes ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

Did you finish it?

Episode 3. Had to turn it off or i would have watched it through

4 episodes in and keep waiting for it to fall off and it keeps getting better. Episode 4 might have been the strongest.

Couldn't be better timing for the show. It's a great contrast to Marvel/DC, it's a great answer to the "Super Hero fatigue", and even though it was written in the pre-Trump era, it relates so much to the current political climate. I've enjoyed it a lot more than any other series through 4 episodes so far. 

I hope it never gets a big budget. I don't need to see Supes throwing CGI hands for an hour. Forces it to get creative with it's world building like early GoT use to. An example is when Elizabeth Shue's character is in negotiations with the mayor of Baltimore about selling them the rights to a super hero to be stationed there. You even see a superhero fly by in the window in the background. Really enjoying the love/hate relationship it has for Superheroes. It glorifies them but makes them really human. Pays respect to the genre but tears down all the usual tropes and makes you realize if Superheroes were real, they probably would be more about commercializing, branding, and politicized. Hope it gets ALL the seasons. 

10 hours ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

Im on eisode 6 and damn this **** is good

Same.

Thought episode 5 dipped in quality a bit from the first 4 even though it gave us the 2 best quotes of the series so far. 

"You played my butt like jazz"

"I'm sayin if there is some geezer up there with a big white beard, he's a world heavyweight ****. He's got a hard-on for mass murder and giving kids cancer, and his big answer to the existential cluster-f*** that is humanity is to nail his own bleeding son to a plank. That's a **** move, come on, even you've got to agree with me there. We should just lob a f***ing nuke at him and get it over with" lol

Episode 6 was solid though. 

Endgame comes out on digital tonight and it's going to have to wait. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 6:32 AM, TUF said:

Same.

Thought episode 5 dipped in quality a bit from the first 4 even though it gave us the 2 best quotes of the series so far. 

"You played my butt like jazz"

"I'm sayin if there is some geezer up there with a big white beard, he's a world heavyweight ****. He's got a hard-on for mass murder and giving kids cancer, and his big answer to the existential cluster-f*** that is humanity is to nail his own bleeding son to a plank. That's a **** move, come on, even you've got to agree with me there. We should just lob a f***ing nuke at him and get it over with" lol

Episode 6 was solid though. 

Endgame comes out on digital tonight and it's going to have to wait. 

LOL that **** had me dying!!

Image result for the boys gif

Finished it last night solid 9/10, can't wait for season 2

Homelander starts off a boring generic Superman ripoff and eventually works his way to possibly the best character on the show expect Billy & Frenchie for me. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Image result for the boys gif

Finished it last night solid 9/10, can't wait for season 2

Homelander starts off a boring generic Superman ripoff and eventually works his way to possibly the best character on the show expect Billy & Frenchie for me. 

haha what makes you like ****lander? Frenchie is a g though... did you read the comics?

1 minute ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

haha what makes you like ****lander? Frenchie is a g though... did you read the comics?

Actually I should probably explain that better or I sound like a right nutter lol I just like that he became much more than just another generic Superman rip-off. He makes for a great villain which I appreciate. 

No had never heard of it or Preacher before I started watching it, will need to check out some of Ennis's other works. 

• Like 1

GOATlander stole the show. Billy is p5p but somewhere along the way he lost his Jack Sparrow swagger and got too serious. Homelander is the best character in a while.

2 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Actually I should probably explain that better or I sound like a right nutter lol I just like that he became much more than just another generic Superman rip-off. He makes for a great villain which I appreciate. 

No had never heard of it or Preacher before I started watching it, will need to check out some of Ennis's other works. 

Oh I got you.. yea he is a great villian in that aspect... and Garth Ennis is a god!! Preacher, The Boys, Crossed, ****s, Streets of Glory he also did a great Punisher run... you should check them all out. 

1 hour ago, TUF said:

GOATlander stole the show. Billy is p5p but somewhere along the way he lost his Jack Sparrow swagger and got too serious. Homelander is the best character in a while.

How did I know you would liked dbaglander..Did you read the comics?. 

1 hour ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

How did I know you would liked dbaglander..Did you read the comics?. 

Nope but I've heard the portrayals are a bit nerfed for the show, except for SJWlight who apparently got a big buff. Which makes me think they'll do a Homelander vs Supes for season 2. Maeve and A Train both seem like they're near the end of their heel turn arc and the Boys both have 2 Supes on their side now already. How could you not like Homelander?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TUF said:

Nope but I've heard the portrayals are a bit nerfed for the show, except for SJWlight who apparently got a big buff. Which makes me think they'll do a Homelander vs Supes for season 2. Maeve and A Train both seem like they're near the end of their heel turn arc and the Boys both have 2 Supes on their side now already. How could you not like Homelander?

Oh you should check out the comics.. I am sure yopu would like them... and what do you like about him... they make it so you arent supposed to like him thats the whole point 

Just now, freddievanhalen3 said:

Oh you should check out the comics.. I am sure yopu would like them... and what do you like about him... they make it so you arent supposed to like him thats the whole point 

I disagree. I've read how much worse he is in the comics and they made it much more likable for the show for a reason. He's a cuck but he's more Joffrey than Ramsey Bolton and like Joffrey, the show is more interesting when he's on camera. His fake patriotism, speeches, and lack of fooks he gives is hilarious. The show is good at graying characters morality. The Deep is billed as a raper in his opening scene and then by the end of the season they somehow make you feel sorry for him. They did the same to Homelander to an extent. When he dies, the show dies imo. 

17 minutes ago, TUF said:

I disagree. I've read how much worse he is in the comics and they made it much more likable for the show for a reason. He's a cuck but he's more Joffrey than Ramsey Bolton and like Joffrey, the show is more interesting when he's on camera. His fake patriotism, speeches, and lack of fooks he gives is hilarious. The show is good at graying characters morality. The Deep is billed as a raper in his opening scene and then by the end of the season they somehow make you feel sorry for him. They did the same to Homelander to an extent. When he dies, the show dies imo. 

Hmm I guess you put way more thought into it than I do.. but Homelander is still a d bag and thats what his character is supposed to be comic or not