Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Andrei Arlovski feels ‘good’ fighting at 40-years-old: ‘Age is just a number’

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/4/24/18513793/ufc-andrei-arlovski-on-fighting-at-40-age-is-just-a-number-i-feel-good-heavyweight-mma-news

Image result for andrei arlovski

At 40 years of age and two decades of professional fighting under his belt, one would think that Andrei Arlovski may be slowing down. But according to “The Pitbull” himself, his pace has remained the same as it did when he was in his prime.

This will be Arlovski's 29th fight with the UFC tying him 3rd for most UFC appearances and a win would put him as the most winningest Heavyweight in UFC history.

“My first jiu-jitsu coach, Dino Costeas, told me discipline is remembering what you want,” Arlovski said (via MMA Fighting). “F—k, every day when I wake up, I remember what I want, why I am doing this f—ng over and over at age 40 and one of the oldest guys in the UFC still in this, still going. … It’s just a number.

“You can feel like that [if you want to], but I’m pretty much one of the first guys who comes and pretty much one of the last ones who leave the gym, I have at least two or three workouts a day. So I’m good, I feel good.”

Arlovski is drawing inspiration from some of his contemporaries who remained in the game, even at an older age.

“I have a good example. In boxing, George Foreman became champion at age 46, of course, and Randy Couture, it didn’t matter that he was fighting at 40 years old. Dan Henderson,” he explained. “There’s a lot of guys, so it doesn’t matter. It’s just a number. Age is f—ng just a number. It depends how you feel inside, and I’m a happy guy.

“I love this. I’m doing what I love to do and my wife lets me do what I love to do. She supports me all the time, she’s an [incredible] lady, so I’m a happy person, fighter, and father.”

Arlovksi is set to fight 27-year-old Augusto Sakai this Saturday for UFC on ESPN 3, and he is aware of what he is going up against.

“He’s young, aggressive, still 27, like you mentioned, so I think it’s pretty much my chance to fight someone older than me in the UFC,” he said. “He’s a good striker, very powerful. It’s good. He’s a young stud, [he’ll] push me.”

• Like 1

I really hope he gets a win Saturday.. I am a big fan... I thought he was done when he got those 5 losses in a row in 2016-17... I would lose my **** if he won the belt.. Not likely it would ever happen again but man that would be ****ing awesome 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, freddievanhalen3 said:

I really hope he gets a win Saturday.. I am a big fan... I thought he was done when he got those 5 losses in a row in 2016-17... I would lose my **** if he won the belt.. Not likely it would ever happen again but man that would be ****ing awesome 

Arlovski beating Travis Browne after being knocked down is probably in my top 5 best ever MMA moments. 

Dude's been fighting big lads at the very top for almost 20 years.  Gotta respect that.

• Like 4

I just wonder how much longer he can go especially since he's currently 2-7-1 in his last 10 so if he drops a couple more fights I think you might see Dana cut him. But if the BJ fight is anything to go by then they will have Arlovski fighting well in to his 60's.

6 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Arlovski beating Travis Browne after being knocked down is probably in my top 5 best ever MMA moments. 

Dude's been fighting big lads at the very top for almost 20 years.  Gotta respect that.

It was just a real good scrap as well fond memories of that fight. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

Yea hes been around for a minute... It would be so dope if he won the belt.. if he was in One fc he would be champion

He fights pretty damn regularly too at his age. 3 fights a year last few years. Never pulls out of a fight because of injury, fights anyone they put in front of him, always pisses clean. Majority of the fighters half his age can't pull off even one of those feats.

Hopefully he puts on a good performance and gets the win this weekend. Nothing left for him to prove really, could retire at any time.

• Like 1

Thankfully for Arlovski, there's a whole bunch of fat **** welterweights and middleweights at HW. This Augusto Sakai goof has saggy **** and a muffin top. Prime example of a person who should not be in professional sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark_Horse said:

Big love for Arlovski, but doesn't every single athelete say that 40 is just a number? 

I would guess a majority of them say that 

Doesnt look good. I guess when his nose goes full Voldemort he will know its time to stop.

On 4/25/2019 at 7:34 AM, cashfl0w said:

...goof has saggy **** and a muffin top. Prime example of a person who should not be in professional sports.

You just described me.

This is why, in addition to a complete lack of talent and ability, I do not play professional sports.

On 4/25/2019 at 8:34 AM, cashfl0w said:

Thankfully for Arlovski, there's a whole bunch of fat **** welterweights and middleweights at HW. This Augusto Sakai goof has saggy **** and a muffin top. Prime example of a person who should not be in professional sports.

Sumo wrestlers are better athletes than 99% of the UFC. Better cardio too. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 5:32 AM, Decompoze said:

He fights pretty damn regularly too at his age. 3 fights a year last few years. Never pulls out of a fight because of injury, fights anyone they put in front of him, always pisses clean. Majority of the fighters half his age can't pull off even one of those feats.

Hopefully he puts on a good performance and gets the win this weekend. Nothing left for him to prove really, could retire at any time.

this ^

AA is one the few guys that should be a bit more respected by the organization/fans.

Dude has done this forever, is still around and is pretty active for his age and not to mention he comes to bang.

A true warrior and professional mofo

• Like 1