Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

What's Next For The Winners & Losers Of UFC 237

Well after another big UFC PPV done its time for another What's Next for the winner's and losers!

Winner's

Jessica Andrade

Andrade made the absolute most out of her opportunity and after a vicious slam is now the new Women's Strawweight champion. While talk immediately started about a potential rematch between her and Namajunas I doubt you see that right away. With Rose facing a 6 month medical suspension and talking about retirement I think it would make more sense to just book the winner of Suarez vs. Ansaroff at the end of the month for the next shot at the title.

Next Opponent Option: Winner of Suarez vs. Ansaroff

Jared Cannonier

Just two fights in to his Middleweight run Cannonier already has wins over a former WSOF Middleweight & Lightheavyweight champion and the greatest Middleweight champion in UFC history. Things are definitely looking up for Jared who looked to be just another body at Lightheavyweight. He will upset with the manner he got the W against Anderson but a win is a win. If he can get another big win that's when you see him start getting talked about in terms of a title shot. Who better to try that against than Chris Weidman another ex champ.

Next Opponent: Chris Weidman

Alexander Volkanovski

With that win Volkanovski goes from just a rising contender to the clear cut number one contender for the Featherweight title, he is now also only the third man to ever defeat Aldo in the UFC. His next fight has to be against Max for the title. It will just be a case of how long he now has to wait for that title shot now as I believe Max received a lengthy medical suspension for his fight with Dustin on UFC 236.

Next Opponent: Max Holloway

Laureano Staropoli

Now riding back to back wins since entering the Staropoli will likely be wanting to look for a step up in competition now. However at only 26 I see no reason to push him too much yet and another fighter from 237 who I think would make for a good fight with is Warlley Alves. Both guys are coming off a win, both just fought on 237 so will likely have similar turn arounds and if Staropoli can beat Alves he will have done what Colby Covington & Alan Jouban couldn't.

Next Opponent: Warlley Alves

Irene Aldana

After a shaky start to her UFC career where she went 0-2 Irene Alanda is now riding a 3 fight win streak after dispatching Bethe Correia and deserves a step up in competition in her next fight. One woman who comes to mind is Yana Kunitskaya who herself is riding a 2 fight win streak. Plus with De Randamie & the Ladd vs. Eubanks winner likely ahead of them in terms of the title shot this will just let either lady build their own case for a title shot.

Next Opponent: Yana Kunitskaya

Loser's

Rose Namajunas

After a great round one for the champion where it seemed like Rose had all the answers for her opponent Andrade picked Rose up and dumped her on her head to end her title reign. Due to the success Rose was having before the stoppage though a rematch is very likely, if Rose wants it. She talked about retirement which is never really a good sign for any fighter but only time will tell if that was down to frustration or she was serious.

Next Opponent: Jessica Andrade 

Anderson Silva

It was rather sad to watch the guy who is the reason I started watching MMA go out like that on Saturday with another leg injury. It however just confirms what I've heard from pundits over the years that father time is the only undefeated champion, he may take longer to get some people but he always gets them. Now Silva has dropped 2 of his last 3 and 6 of his last 8 fights. It isn't the storybook ending he likely wanted but I would like to see Silva hang up his gloves after that one.

Next Opponent: Retirement

Jose Aldo

After wins against Stephens & Moicano it looked like maybe we would see Aldo compete for the title again until he ran into Volkanovski at 237. Now its not a case of just the champ having Aldo's number the new number one contender appears to have it as well. Plus with the current landscape there is nobody for him to really fight with everyone either already being booked or Aldo having recently fought them. The closest viable option would probably have to be Josh Emmett.

Next Opponent: Josh Emmett

Thiago Alves

Pitbull has been in the UFC since 2005, competing in general since 2001. The 18 year vet just looked to be a step off the pace against Staropoli this leaves him 2-5 in his last 7 fights, not exactly a good place to be. The next fight is crucial as he has went L-L-W-L-L-W-L and you have to think that another loss might just force the UFC's hand in terms of cutting the one time title contender. Meek for his next fight would be an opportunity for him to geta  win as he's a step back in terms of compettion but as both are primarily strikers it would likely make for a fan friendly fight.

Next Opponent: Emil Meek

Bethe Correia

Its crazy to think that Bethe was Ronda's last win and since then things haven't gone very well for Bethe who since then has had a record of 1-3-1 missing weight in this latest fight. I doubt you see her cut after her last fight simply due to how thin Women's Bantamweight is. But I wouldn't be surprised if they try and use her to try a promote a new fighter and right now the only person who they can really use for that is fellow Brazillian who also fought on 237 Araujo. 

Next Opponent: Viviane Araujo

Edited by Jolldan

On 5/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, skillandpower said:

Anderson will end up fighting Weidman in one if the most lames trilogies ever

the dude has a bizarre record -  ....  if he fights again,  he's a damn fool

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/5/14/18623115/ufc-237-mma-news-injury-anderson-silva-jared-cannonier-physical-therapy-fight

Edited by Bezerker101