Sign in to follow this  
Sodom404

MMA fighter size difference vs Judoka or Pure Wrestling

I'm fairly new to watching MMA and was wondering a couple things

1. I notice there is a difference in size in most top mma fighters compared to top heavyweights Judoka (teddy riner) or Pure wrestling (Karelin) like in the olympics? Why are all the best heavyweights in mma seem to be around 240-245 (look what Cain (6'0 240) did in his prime or Fedor, DC, JDS and not 290 monsters guys who are like 6'8 290+ like Teddy Riner who dominate Judoka. Is it because MMA heavyweights need more Cardio or speed instead of pure power or what? Sorry for sounding like a newb i have been wondering this. 
I know there is a weight limit in the UFC but not sure there would be much of a difference even if they removed the weight limit. 

2. What is the best or perfect size for a heavyweight in your opinion and how would Teddy Riner do against smaller heavyweights like DC, Cain in there primes or if he he trained in MMA?

Thanks!

Here is a picture of Teddy Riner
https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/byfgp5/mma_heavyweights_size_vs_judoka_or_wrestling/

There is a 265 limit & big guys it's rare for them to be very skilled. The really big guys there's a point where the power, strength size has diminishing returns especially because they rely on it. What good is all that power, strength, size if you can't move as well & apply it. After about 3-6 minutes it's kinda useless against a slightly smaller skilled HW & often a detriment. 

The perfect size HW is around 240 ish because it's about the right weight for a balance of skill set, size etc.. Too big & you're relying on KO power or sheer size/strength to man handle people and that's only gonna work for so long if at all against top ranked HW's. In MMA one the most important things in any class is to be able to apply sustained pressure without wasting energy or at least avoid the opponent from doing the same. 

Not familiar with Teddy Riner but without much experience in other disciplines & MMA he wouldn't be able to do not much against top competition. Depends on the scenario and if he can implement his game though. Top guys very likely won't allow him his game though. His strengths they will avoid or negate for long enough to find his weakness and exploit. Don't care how many gold medals he has. Anything can happen of course but his chances aren't great at all.  

Interesting question. Welcome to the forum and the best sport on the planet. 

• Thanks 1

True. We barely have enough fighters to make a marketable heavyweight division, so super heavyweight is out of the question.

Now, I'm of the belief that we need more weight classes. If we could somehow rid the sport of extreme weightcutting (unlikely), most fighters would be forced to move up. This is fine, since they'd be fighting essentially the same group of guys as before, just one division up. Flyweight would likely go away, and then you could go 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225 and heavyweight. Personally, I don't believe there should be such a thing as "super heavyweight". Heavyweight is heavyweight, and like boxing, there should be no cap. We've already seen the point of diminishing returns on size (as StompGrind pointed out), and the tendency of the best heavyweights to be around 235-250. There was a short time when everyone thought you needed to cut down to 265 (era of Bork and Shane Carwin), but that has passed.

• Like 1

WELCOME M8

is your name a metaphor for what IDYB likes to watch GSP do more than anything else in the world?