Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

What's Next For The Winners & Losers Of UFC 238

Well after another big UFC PPV done its time for another What's Next for the winner's and losers! This time with an extended edition.

I don't usually do the prelims for these as well but as two of the winners are likely to be next in line for the title I felt like it was warranted.

Winner's

Henry Cejudo

It would appear that the double champ club has a new member, Cejudo made the necessary adjustments after the first round and put the pressure on Moares until he couldn't keep up. In typical Cejudo style though he couldn't get through it without drawing some criticism not for his performance but mainly of who he wishes to fight next. With a clear cut contender in Sterling its perplexing as to why Cejudo called out Cruz (who hasn't won since June 2016), Garbrandt (3 fight skid, last win December 2016) and Faber (who hasn't even fought since 2016). I think Dana likely just overrules him. 

Next Opponent Option: Aljamain Sterling

Valentina Shevchenko

Valentina showed why she is the best women's Flyweight in the world right now with that performance on Saturday, she completely outclassed Eye from the moment the fight started to the moment she ended it with that incredibly brutal head kick. Derek Brunson said it best "And just like that, no one wants the next title shot against Bullet!" I think that's a real problem now. Katlyn Chookagian is now for all intents and purposes the number one contender but I honestly think they will give her one more before setting her up against Valentina. 

Next Opponent: Liz Carmouche/Roxanne Modafferi Winner

Tony Ferguson

Tony extended his incredibly impressive win streak to 12 fights in a row an incredible feat when you think about some of the guys he's fought. After back and fourth first round Tony seemed to get the better of the exchanges in the second with a clear power advantage on display in his favour. Everything was set up for a great final round until the unfortunate ending of the fight and the fact that Tony threw the shot after the bell didn't gain him any fans. I think Tony should finally get his shot but if Dana has his way a rematch is on the cards.

Next Opponent: Nurmagomedov/Poirier Winner.   Will Probably Be: Donald Cerrone

Petr Yan

He didn't get things all his own way but Yan showed off his skills against without a doubt his toughest test to date in Jimmie Rivera. He'd previously beaten an undersized Dodson but this was Yan's first crack at a real top 10 UFC Bantamweight. That performance showed that for sure Yan belongs in that category as well dropping Rivera multiple times throughout the fight. In a division full of mostly established contenders Yan is a welcome new addition to the top 10 and there was a perfect next dance partner for him on this very card.

Next Opponent: Pedro Munhoz

Blagoy Ivanov

Blagoy has now won 2 in a row and is getting some momentum going after a rough start to his UFC career (getting JDS for 5 rounds in your first UFC fight is a tall order). I don't ever see him being a title challenger but he's a tough as nails dude to put away, who will make anyone work really hard to get the W over him and actually has a pretty entertaining style. The key thing for him is matchmaking to get the best fight out of him you need to put him up against another striker and there's one I can think of who's in big need of a win also.

Next Opponent: Derrick Lewis

Prelims

Tatiana Suarez

The third round may have not gone her way but by then Tatiana had already done enough to get the victory, now 8-0 and on a 5 fight winning streak since entering the UFC she's the clear cut number one contender to the title. With no news on when or if Rose will return I see no reason to book Suarez vs. Andrade as the next women's Strawweight title fight.

Next Opponent: Title Shot Jessica Andrade 

Aljamain Sterling

After a close first round Sterling's unpredictable style and great use of his reach advantage helped him to completely outclass Munhoz. Now riding a 4 fight winning streak and coming off one of the most impressive wins of his career Sterling looks incredibly likely to be the man who will get first crack at new Bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo.

Next Opponent: Title Shot Henry Cejudo

Alexa Grasso

Grasso put on a clinic against Karolina landing just shy of 150 significant strikes inside 3 rounds she clearly dominated the fight from start to finish. Having traded wins and losses her last 4 fights she needs to try and string together a few wins if she wants to move towards title contention no better to do that against than an ex champion.

Next Opponent: Carla Esparza

Calvin Kattar

Kattar picked up the biggest scalp of his career in a former title challenger like Lamas its also his second first round ko in a row. Considering his only loss in the UFC was to 5th ranked Renato Moicano in just his third fight in the organisation I think you give him a step up in competition again, Lil Heathen and Kattar's clashing boxing styles could make for an exiting fight.

Next Opponent: Jeremy Stephens

Loser's

Marlon Moraes

After a strong opening round where Marlon looked to be controlling the pace and distance with his kicks, Moraes seemed to begin to wilt under the incredible pressure that was being put on him by Henry Cejudo and by the third round he looked completely spent with Cejudo getting the tko late in the round. It's hard to tell if Marlon was suffering from anything or this simply highlighted the difference between a natural 135er like Cejudo and someone like Moraes who cuts a lot to make the weight.

Next Opponent: Raphael Assuncao/Cory Sandhagen Winner

Jessica Eye

Unfortunately for Jessica on Saturday she was on the receiving end of one of the most brutal knockout losses in women's MMA history. The way the fight finished likely highlighted why the bookmakers had Eye as such a huge betting underdog. She can't be too discouraged as Valentina is one of the best female fighters in MMA period and she is still ranked as the number one contender at Flyweight. If Eye wants she can likely get back to a title shot with one or two impressive wins.

Next Opponent: Andrea Lee/Montana De La Rosa Winner

Donald Cerrone

Well Donald's run for another title shot looks to now likely be over at least for the moment. After a competitive first round between them both Ferguson's power started to look like the difference maker as by the end of the second round Donald was already pretty busted up (even before blowing his nose). What sucked is the way it ended Tony with the late shot and then Cowboy blowing his nose left the fight with sort of anti climactic finish. I'd be happy enough for that to be it but Dana apparently is looking to run this one back.

Next Opponent: Justin Gaethje.    Will Probably Be: Tony Ferguson Rematch 

Jimmie Rivera

Few fighters stock has truly crashed like Jimmie Rivera's has over the last couple years. To think he closed out 2017 with a record of 21-1 and now in the last 2 years has only managed a very underwhelming 1-3 record. It's hard not to feel a little sorry for him as Jimmie was always sort of passed up for the title shot and if his current form continues it will likely be something he never gets a chance at. He's lucky that there's a great potential opponent for him who's also hit hard times.

Next Opponent: Cody Garbrandt.

Tai Tuivasa

It's clear that some adjustments need to be made for Tai's career now that he's on a 2 fight skid, the JDS loss was likely just a bit too much too soon but Ivanov was an opponent he was more than capable of getting the W against as he appeared to clearly be the quicker of the two. The thing Tai has on his side is time, 26 is basically an infant in terms of Heavyweights so these hard lessons now will hopefully mean he doesn't have to learn as many later.

Next Opponent: Walt Harris/Aleksei Oleinik Loser 

Prelims

Nina Ansaroff

Nina had arguably the toughest job on Saturday night, trying to figure out a way to beat Tatiana Suarez who so far had looked just levels above her competition. She may have not got the win but by the end of the third round it was Nina who was chasing after Suarez and who even had her in danger towards the end.

Next Opponent: Michelle Waterson

Pedro Munhoz

After some early success Pedro just couldn't get anything going against Sterling and ended up dropping a UD loss. After a 3 fight win streak Pedro will be gutted to have not made it to the title shot but he will likely not fall too far down the pecking order for his next one.

Next Opponent: Petr Yan

Karolina Kowalkiewicz

Karolina looked to just be a victim of not being able to keep up with the speed of progression in WMMA. Her style looked very basic and outdated by a couple years against a much more well rounded fighter. She's now lost 5 of her last 7 and with W Strawweight being arguably the best women's division right now she will definitely need to win her next one to keep her top 15 spot. 

Next Opponent: Xiaonan Yan

Ricardo Lamas

Always a mainstay in the Featherweight division Lamas future in the division could now potentially be under threat after dropping 3 of his last 4 including his latest loss to Calvin Kattar. Give him another new young rising star to see if he can still hang with the new blood in the division.

Next Opponent: Shane Burgos

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OzStraya said:

Yan > Sterling

I like Yan as well good chance as a future title challenger but Rivera's name isn't quite as big a scalp as it once was I think they'll probably want to give him one more first.

Donald's run for another title shot looks to now likely be over at least for the moment. After a competitive first round between them both Ferguson's power started to look like the difference maker as by the end of the second round Donald was already pretty busted up (even before blowing his nose). What sucked is the way it ended Tony with the late shot and then Cowboy blowing his nose left the fight with sort of anti climactic finish. I'd be happy enough for that to be it but Dana apparently is looking to run this one back.

I seriously don't see a rematch happening ....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bezerker101 said:

Donald's run for another title shot looks to now likely be over at least for the moment. After a competitive first round between them both Ferguson's power started to look like the difference maker as by the end of the second round Donald was already pretty busted up (even before blowing his nose). What sucked is the way it ended Tony with the late shot and then Cowboy blowing his nose left the fight with sort of anti climactic finish. I'd be happy enough for that to be it but Dana apparently is looking to run this one back.

I seriously don't see a rematch happening ....

I'd much rather see Cowboy vs Gaethje im just thinking if Dana wants it and Tony seemed to be open to it, do think we'd seen enough to know how the fight was going to go though.

1 minute ago, Jolldan said:

I'd much rather see Cowboy vs Gaethje im just thinking if Dana wants it and Tony seemed to be open to it, do think we'd seen enough to know how the fight was going to go though.

I think this is the beginning of the the big machine (ufc) inserting Cerrone as a high-end stepping stone,

Justin would win that one,... his next fight will be a meatball, ... after that,  stepping-stone status begins unless he retires .

I hear jessica eye's funeral ceremony is going to be held next weekend

Edited by -idyb-

and donald cerrone is going to make the transition to hollywood and star in the upcoming movie Cowboy Pirates of the Caribbean

Opmvfxk.jpg

• Haha 1