ijosef

Barboza's team will pointlessly appeal decision loss to Paul Felder

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/9/8/20855492/edson-barboza-appeal-ufc-242-loss-paul-felder-mma

<snippet>

“We think that the fight was judged inaccurately,” Barboza’s manager Alex Davis told MMA Fighting. “The fact that one judge gave it 30-27 Junior and one have it 30-27 Felder is a big indicator of their confusion. Our perception—and to everyone we spoke with, everyone in the arena, every journalist and media—the fight was 29-28 for Junior, who won the first two rounds.”

Davis doesn’t even agree with the judge that gave his fighter a win in all rounds. It’s highly unlikely that the result will in fact get overturned, but the manager says that “mistakes” like this should be reviewed.

“We can’t let this happen,” Davis said. “These fighters put a lot of effort and invest their time to get up there to do what they do so we have judges making these type of mistakes and not being reviewed.

Well, if a fight being "judged inaccurately" is the standard, we're going to have a lot more appeals. To be honest I wasn't watch the fight that closely, but I had it razor thin for Felder, but it could have easily gone to Barboza. Most others seem to think it was a close decision win for Barboza. Either way, it wasn't highway robbery. Even Barboza's own team isn't saying that Edson won all three rounds. The judging was terrible (30-27 x2 in both directions) but that's never been overturned. Even things that SHOULD be overturned or addressed by commissions are not, so these folks don't have a prayer.

As a big Paul Felder fan, I thought he lost the fight...it was "close", but easily Barbosa's win IMHO.

• Like 2

Robbery, when the decision came barboza looked like wtf & felder looked like he just won the lottery, surprised as a mother ****er. The stats all show that barboza beat felder in all departments too, more strikes & sig strikes, takedowns... everything. 

Just another trilogy fight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzStraya said:

Asian lolwmma Lee got robbed too 

She's not Asian..

EDIT: I forgot bums fight in Asia. My bad.

Edited by broke_fl0w

4 hours ago, Bwana said:

As a big Paul Felder fan, I thought he lost the fight...it was "close", but easily Barbosa's win IMHO.

Lol

If someone won, I thought it was 29-28 Barboza.

However, it was close enough that I find it VERY unlikely it will get appealed. It's going to be a big sour pill, but Edson will have to swallow it and move on regardless.

I love both guys but honestly ? Who cares ?

Both guys are just two gatekeepers who ubfortunately will never touch gold.

Unless the fight had a finish, nobody cares for who won a decision.

Also, that does not make Barboza look bad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, broke_fl0w said:

She's not Asian..

EDIT: I forgot bums fight in Asia. My bad.

Everyone with a last name Lee is at least part Asian.  Kevin in the crotch reason,  for example 

Would I say it was the wrong result yes, robbery's maybe a bit of a stretch. Although I will admit it definitely didn't sound good when the first words out of Felder's mouth after the decision was read were "this could have gone either way". Either way I can't see this one getting overturned. 

On 9/8/2019 at 9:22 PM, OzStraya said:

Asian lolwmma Lee got robbed too 

Honestly I expected Lee to go out there and molly whop Calderwood but think she's still got some development to go that was far from a robbery. 

• Like 1

I'm always stunned when a commission actually overturns something based on referee error or poor judging. They only do things when it's related to banned substances - other than that they rarely disturb the results of a fight.

For example, Holly Holm vs De Random was a poor decision (Holly won) on its own. However, the not one but TWO times De Random landed a flagrant cheap shot after the end of the round should've resulted in a point deduction at the very least. The fact that she was able to do that twice and not suffer any consequences merited action by a commission. Of course they did nothing.

The only time I can think of a commission taking action to correct referee error is when Tonya Evinger had a submission loss to Yana Kunitskaya overturned, and that was in 2016. I don't remember that happening  before or after.