Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

What's Next For The Winners & Losers Of UFC 243

Well after another big UFC PPV done its time for another What's Next for the winner's and losers!

Winner's

Israel Adesanya

Adesanya lived up to his own hype and manged to capture the Middleweight title against the previously undefeated at Middleweight Whittaker. He was patinet eventually picking his moment to land and stop Rob. Adesanya now has probably the most straightforward next opponent of the lot with fellow undefeated fighter Costa waiting in the wings for a shot at the winner confirmed as the next in line. Israel has quickly moved from contender to champion and now has a opponent that can potentially bring out the best in him and produce another 5 star fight.

Next Opponent: Paulo Costa

Dan Hooker

Hooker picked up by far the biggest and most impressive win of his career by not only beating Iaquinta but for the most part outclassing him this win does move him not quite but just on the fringes of that sort of title contender territory. The call-out of Dustin I think was more a case of Hooker going for the biggest name he could but I very much doubt he gets him next, as going from 15th to 2nd in two fights just seems too big a jump in arguably the most stacked division. He should get be looking for a top 5 opponent next though.

Next Opponent: Donald Cerrone

Sergey Spivak

At just 24 years old Spivak is still basically a toddler in the Heavyweight division with a potential for a very long future, he could easily go on to fight for 15+ years in the Heavyweight division if he really wants to and now having taken the spot of biggest young prospect in the top 15 from Tuivasa he surely will have earned himself another top 15 ranked opponent for his next fight.

Next Opponent: Shamil Aburakhimov

Dhiego Lima

Its pretty clear that Lima isnt quite the sme fighter his brother is but he's put together a decent 3 fight win streak, granted it has been against less than stellar competition but all the same he definitely deserves a bump up in competition for his next one, somebody who maybe inst quite a top 15 guy but who's at least maybe fought and lost to a few of those types of guys.

Next Opponent: Alan Jouban

Yorgan De Castro

This one is a little harder to really guess what's next as both of these guys were new unproven prospects, Yorgan definitely made the most of his opportunity though and with a POTN award and by far the best finish of the night he left a pretty good lasting impression. If it was any other division I think we'd likely see him matched up with some other fighter on the fringes of the top 15, Heavyweight's just not that deep in talent though so I bet they give him a crack at somebody ranked next. 

Next Opponent: Alexey Oleinik

Loser's

Robert Whittaker

Unfortunately for Rob he didn't get the return to the cage he was hoping for after over a year out of the game he would have been wanting to show off new skills and show why he still the best but it just wasn't meant to be. Due to it being a relatively decisive enough loss and Rob not seeming to be as much of a drama queen as other fighters I think he just takes this loss and tries to work his way back to a rematch and try and stay more active. The only thing id say is we've seen enough of him vs. Yoel so hopefully he gets a fresh opponent.

Next Opponent: Jared Cannonier

Al Iaquinta

Al has now dropped 3 of his last 4 fights, granted they have all been to tough guys but he still finds himself now in a bit of a rut and in need of a return to winning ways. 2018 he was applauded after going 5 rounds with Khabib and defeating Lee but 2019 he just hasn't had the same impact and he will need turn that around if he doesn't want to end up with almost a gatekeeper status of if you beat him you're considered a legit contender.

Next Opponent: Paul Felder 

Tai Tuivasa

Nobody took a bigger L during UFC 243 than Tuivasa did in my opinion, lets not sugarcoat what this fight was meant to be for him a easy W and it went about as wrong for him as it could possibly go. This makes 3 losses in a row for Tai now, the first to JDS we wrote off as just too much too soon, even Ivanov was a 12 year vet but now the Spivak loss is where things begin to look grim for Tai. I don't see him getting cut just because of how young he is and how thin Heavyweight is but a lot is likely going to be riding on his next one as he will likely drop out of the top 15 now and if he can't beat another fringes guy and loses 4 in a row I think you could see him cut from the promotion.

Next Opponent: Marcin Tybura

Luke Jumeau

Personally I think the split-decision made this sound better for Jumeau than it really was, think you could have gave Lima every round if you'd wanted without much controversy. Anyway Luke is now on a very average 2-2 run in his UFC career, his next one will likely decide if he has a future at the company as neither his wins or losses have been to any high level guys. 

Next Opponent: Zak Ottow

Justin Tafa

Again much like I said about Yorgan Tafa is almost a complete unknown, this marked only his fourth professional fight and it was a brutal knockout loss. That's currently all he's known for in the UFC and he will surely be receiving a lengthy medical suspension after that knockout so we wont see him again in a hurry. Think about it this guy has less pro experience that Greg Hardy. If they really want to give this guy another fight its going to have to be against similar level compeption or another fighter who's future they are unsure of.

Next Opponent: Todd Duffee

Izzy's best wins at MW are against 2 chubby WW's. That AfriCAN is going to duck Costa hard

Cerrone would be a step down from Raging Al

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T.B.E said:

Izzy's best wins at MW are against 2 chubby WW's. That AfriCAN is going to duck Costa hard

Cerrone would be a step down from Raging Al

Cerrone picked Al apart 6 months ago. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, juice64011 said:

Cerrone picked Al apart 6 months ago. 

He's also been brutally stopped twice since then, they're both scrubs. The Poirer call out is a good one, or Gaethje

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2019 at 5:41 PM, T.B.E said:

He's also been brutally stopped twice since then, they're both scrubs. The Poirer call out is a good one, or Gaethje

Im not opposed to them making the Poirer fight I just don't think he gets it off the back of that one. 

4 hours ago, the_vagenius said:

Hooker needs a top 5er.

Cerrone is ranked 5th and arguably the one of the three biggest names in the division. 

Plus Donald just seems a lot more likely to take this type of fight imo. He's previously taken the fights against relative unknowns at the time like Till, Medeiros, Edwards and Hernandez.

I love seeing that jelly bellied blob of chit tuivasa lose. I laughed and flipped the bird at the tv when he got put in that arm triangle 🙂