Sign in to follow this  
Jolldan

Should Fighters Get Tune Up Fights After Long Layoffs?

Tune Up Fights?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should Fighters Get Tune Up Fights After Long Layoffs?

• Yes?
    • No?
    • Yes (But only if they are a champion)?
    • No (Even if they are a champion)?

Was thinking about this after listening to Luke Thomas breakdown of the UFC 243 results. He made the point that there is a chance that we potentially didn't see the very best of Robert Whittaker against Adesanya, because this was his first fight returning after 15 months off and that he would have benefitted from a tune up fight similar to what they do in boxing. 

Its not something I have ever really considered for MMA as it doesn't really happen but do any of you think its something that should be potentially implemented moving forward to sort of try and get the absolute best out of two guys who are booked in a highly anticipated showdown if one is returning from injury?

Or should MMA completely avoid this as all together as it does raise questions about the sports legitimacy when you have a fighter booked to fight someone who on paper he has a very clear advantage over?

What are your thoughts?

• Like 1

people **** and moan as is when champs don't fight the number 1 contender or have a long lay off.  This just looks like it's doubling up on reasons to **** and moan, lol

• Like 1

Pretty sure I've heard that fighters have generally been winning their fights after long lay offs the last few years. But that stat has Dominick Cruz commentary written all over it.

Still, no tune up fights is my vote.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crangs said:

people **** and moan as is when champs don't fight the number 1 contender or have a long lay off.  This just looks like it's doubling up on reasons to **** and moan, lol

I have no real position on this but I will grant that it wasn't that Luke was salty that he was suggesting it as he spent half the podcast basically saying "See I've been telling you jokers that Israel was that good for how long now?" lol 

19 minutes ago, Bezerker101 said:

just bcoz fighters say ring rust is bs, doesn't mean it's true ...

Yeah Dom repeats this a lot but its kind of hard to take it as truth when he has been out of the game with recurring injuries for nearly 3 years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

Yeah Dom repeats this a lot but its kind of hard to take it as truth when he has been out of the game with recurring injuries for nearly 3 years.

you got 2 fighters , approx. same age, both from same location, both same betting odds, - ... one is undefeated and has no history of health problems.

.... the other fighter has a long history of health problems and is coming from a 16 month layoff - ... where you gonna put your money ?

#keepingitreal-

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bezerker101 said:

you got 2 fighters , approx. same age, both from same location, both same betting odds, - ... one is undefeated and has no history of health problems.

.... the other fighter has a long history of health problems and is coming from a 16 month layoff - ... where you gonna put your money ?

#keepingitreal- 

Related image

• Like 1

Stupid topic as the answer is simple. You want a tune up fight, vacate the title. Robert could have dropped it in February and fought someone else. Seems like some BS excuses for why Israel won.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PATSTER said:

Stupid topic as the answer is simple. You want a tune up fight, vacate the title. Robert could have dropped it in February and fought someone else. Seems like some BS excuses for why Israel won.

If Rampage had proper tune up fights he would have won every single fight in his career

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, PATSTER said:

Hell, Whittaker takes two years off every time he fights. He would never get to the meaningful fights. He'd just keep having "warm-up fights". lol

• Like 1

17 hours ago, carnages said:

If Rampage had proper tune up fights he would have won every single fight in his career

As far as I'm concerned, Rampage DID win every single fight in his career.

• Like 1