Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Classic Boxer's 2020 Fitness and Training Goals

These threads, distinguished by year, have always been the best part of the forum.   Last year's participation might have been an all-time low.  This was due to a decline in popularity of this forum in general.   It doesn't matter what the topic, or what section for that matter, people just aren't posting here as much as they used.  I blame it on the trolls that lurk here.  It's impossible to start a discussion without some online troll ruining it.  The mods just let it happen.  So be it.

This year, I'm going to do something a little different. 

I'm going to assign some goals to the forum members who have been participating.  I'll choose a few members at random.  If I miss you, you can speak up and then I'll give you a goal.  You should try to accomplish these goals.  I have your best interest in mind, so just do it.

StompGrind - Quit smoking.  Also, I want you to run 2 miles in less than 15 minutes.  I don't know how well you can run, but this figure is achievable.  Hell, you might even already be able to do it.

Bubba Sparks - Choose a lift; barbell squat, deadlift or bench press.  I want you to beat your personal best in one of these lifts.  I know you're a runner, which is why I chose this goal for you.  Also, I want you to beat a personal best in one of your shorter distance races, whichever one you choose.

NoCake - I would like you to participate in one sanctioned amateur contest of your choosing in the field of combat sports.  It will be fun.  You can go to a bjj tournament, take an ammy kickboxing contest or a boxing match or whatever.  I'm not sure if you've ever done anything like that, but most people haven't so I assume you probably haven't either.  It'll be a helluva'n experience. 

IDYB - Participate in this forum in a serious manner.  Choose a fitness goal and go for it.

TwennyFo - I'd like for you to participate in this thread, too.  Choose any goal, you'd like.  

PlatinumClegg - I believe you used to train.  Join a BJJ gym.

Amunera - You appear to be a pretty terrific athlete, your run times are great.  I don't want to get in the way of that, so I will just issue you a pull-up challenge.  This shouldn't get in the way of your current training regimen.  See how many you can work up to in a single set.  I'd like you to have your eye on 30 reps.  

Nyte - I seem to remember you were always trying to lose weight.  My memory isn't one of my strengths, so I could be wrong, but I don't think I am.  I also feel I remember you always working out and dieting to achieve your goals.  This year, I would like you to instead get passionate about a sport; lose weight that way.  Obviously, I would recommend some sort of combat sport, but rollerblading sounds pretty awesome  Ninja Warrior training sounds like it would be a blast.  Whatever you want, but this year I request that you mostly skip the gym and just get passionate about a sport and have a blast.    

Rumbin - It seems you're interested in this thread, so I'm going to give you a goal.  My general lack of participation on this forum makes some members less familiar to me, so I'm going to choose something more random; not quite so tailor-made to your needs.   Boxing.  I want you to start boxing.  I want you to get really committed to boxing and I want you to take AT LEAST TWO AMATEUR FIGHTS.  If you're over 30, you can do something else, but you have to post about it.  If you're under 30, you have no choice in this matter.  You have to do it.  

Jolldan - I'd like you to get really crafty with the jump rope, master lots of skipping patterns and be able to perform double-unders consecutively.  Also since you've lost a lot of weight,  I would like you to get really good at pull-ups, monkey bars, and rope-climbing.  

In fact, I'd like for everyone to join a bjj gym.  Wouldn't that be something?  That would be incredible if all of a sudden, a lot of us were actively training in the sport which launched the UFC.  That would really be something.

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, Megasoup said:

It doesn't matter what the topic, or what section for that matter, people just aren't posting here as much as they used.  I blame it on the trolls that lurk here.  It's impossible to start a discussion without some online troll ruining it.  The mods just let it happen.  So be it.

Don't play the victim. It's unbecoming.

This place is, and always was, here for the presale code being sold on the premium forum. The activity on the free forum can completely dry up, and as long as there's still thousands of suckers signing up to buy Conor tickets with a presale code, then this place is going to be here in the same form it is right now. And if you think you get bodied by one liners and the same lonely dude harping on your past on the free forum, you would have probably jumped off a bridge if the premium forum got their hands on you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Megasoup said:

IDYB - Participate in this forum in a serious manner.  Choose a fitness goal and go for it.

Competitive Drinking has always peaked my interest.  My goal is to train harder for 2020

• Like 1

I doubt i could currently run 2 miles in 15 min i mean i'm sure i probably could but i'd be humpty dumpy the next day lol. Don't think i cracked that when i was running everyday either. I usually don't time my miles i just listen to my body. 

When i did check my time a few times I was doing about 9-10 min miles and walking every half mile to recover for 30 sec to a minute then go again but i was doing 3-5 miles a day 5x a week in the evening AND lifting weights for an hr at night so it was a lot of volume.

I will try 18 min when i get back into running everyday but that's gonna be a few months because i have some things going on plus i really need to take it slow getting back into fitness because  i haven't been working out at all and i'm pretty out of shape right now plus my joints & back have been nagging me for it especially in the morning i'm stiff like a board & it's not just the morning wood lol. 

Smoking i plan on cutting down A LOT but i'm not planning on quitting entirely. One of the few vices i have that keep me sane especially since i cut back on watching pawn. 

Joining a BJJ or MMA gym is out of the question for me unfortunately. I'd like to get back into that but the closest place is an hr away and i'm not driving 2 hrs back n forth for that plus training for an hr or more. 

• Like 1

I got way to fat being unemployed and bein a degen the last few months ive elected to stop drinking, dipping, smoking and the like until the Khabib/Tony card in Brooklyn

I will likely lose 35 lbs before.

If you struggle to lose weight your a loser and lazy. No excuses

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im 6'3'' and probably 230 right now. At my fattest I didnt even realize it I was like 270 lbs when I was legit drinking 7 nights a week and eating fast food every meal college years. In 2016 I got down to 183 lbs and looked like Michael Chandler. I think 195-200 is my sweet spot. Ive noticed the weight literally melts off when I dont drink 12 300 calorie beers 4 nights a week, who woulda thought

I have no sympathy for anyone who cant lose weight. Im not the smartest guy in the world but its really not difficult if you have any willpower whatsoever 

22 hours ago, Megasoup said:

These threads, distinguished by year, have always been the best part of the forum.   Last year's participation might have been an all-time low.  This was due to a decline in popularity of this forum in general.   It doesn't matter what the topic, or what section for that matter, people just aren't posting here as much as they used.  I blame it on the trolls that lurk here.  It's impossible to start a discussion without some online troll ruining it.  The mods just let it happen.  So be it.

This year, I'm going to do something a little different. 

I'm going to assign some goals to the forum members who have been participating.  I'll choose a few members at random.  If I miss you, you can speak up and then I'll give you a goal.  You should try to accomplish these goals.  I have your best interest in mind, so just do it.

StompGrind - Quit smoking.  Also, I want you to run 2 miles in less than 15 minutes.  I don't know how well you can run, but this figure is achievable.  Hell, you might even already be able to do it.

Bubba Sparks - Choose a lift; barbell squat, deadlift or bench press.  I want you to beat your personal best in one of these lifts.  I know you're a runner, which is why I chose this goal for you.  Also, I want you to beat a personal best in one of your shorter distance races, whichever one you choose.

NoCake - I would like you to participate in one sanctioned amateur contest of your choosing in the field of combat sports.  It will be fun.  You can go to a bjj tournament, take an ammy kickboxing contest or a boxing match or whatever.  I'm not sure if you've ever done anything like that, but most people haven't so I assume you probably haven't either.  It'll be a helluva'n experience. 

TwennyFo - I'd like for you to participate in this forum, too.  I've always like you.

PlatinumClegg - I believe you used to train.  Join a BJJ gym.

In fact, I'd like for everyone to join a bjj gym.  Wouldn't that be something?  That would be incredible if all of a sudden, all of us were actively training in the sport which launched the UFC.  That would really be something.

Strong op @Megasoup. I like the new approach, shakes things up a bit. 

I will of course accept your challenge, but with a small modification; I'll aim for PRs in all 3 of those lifts, hopefully in the first 3 months of the year. I'll try and nail a 5k pb during the spring (which seems to start in June in Sweden but nevermind).

@amunera has been a regular contributor to the fitness thread over the years, as has @Nyte. They would be good additions to your list. 

And the ghost of classic boxer still haunts the fora so maybe post a challenge for him to work on from the beyond. 

1 hour ago, I_Take_Roids_m8 said:

I'm heading towards Rampage tiddies mode soon

Better get to rolling around on the floor with some dudes in bathrobes or Soup will think you're less of a man.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Lol Soup wants to see me get my **** kicked, I'm a lover not a fighter!

Not a terrible idea my friend, I'll see what options I have in my area. 

i'm sure you could at least take out CM Punk. even if you hire the same trainers that Rampage had for the Fedor fight, assuming he had any at all.   i believe in you m8

Edited by -idyb-

3 hours ago, NoCakeForYaya said:

Lol Soup wants to see me get my **** kicked, I'm a lover not a fighter!

Not a terrible idea my friend, I'll see what options I have in my area. 

Just to clarify, quidditch doesn't count. But taking Ronnie Pickering on in a street fight does. 

Edited by Bubba_Sparks
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Rumbin said:

Im 6'3'' and probably 230 right now. At my fattest I didnt even realize it I was like 270 lbs when I was legit drinking 7 nights a week and eating fast food every meal college years. In 2016 I got down to 183 lbs and looked like Michael Chandler. I think 195-200 is my sweet spot. Ive noticed the weight literally melts off when I dont drink 12 300 calorie beers 4 nights a week, who woulda thought

I have no sympathy for anyone who cant lose weight. Im not the smartest guy in the world but its really not difficult if you have any willpower whatsoever 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 8:08 PM, StompGrind said:

Smoking i plan on cutting down A LOT but i'm not planning on quitting entirely. One of the few vices i have that keep me sane especially since i cut back on watching pawn. 

I do not accept this.  You have to quit entirely.  It's terrible for your health, it will lead to an early death and the quality of life for a smoker is simply lower.  Smoking is a disgusting habit and it is beneath you.  

I wouldn't bother concerning myself about this with someone I didn't like or respect.  

Edited by Megasoup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Soup I just turned 33, ive suffered enough head injurys to begin with without boxing

I was thinking of doing a triathalon in the Fal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rumbin said:

Soup I just turned 33, ive suffered enough head injurys to begin with without boxing

I think that would be absolutely dynamite.  Boxing sucks anyway.  

On 1/1/2020 at 6:42 PM, cashfl0w said:

Now give me my damn challenge and don't leave me off the list again, Soup.

30 minutes ago, Megasoup said:

I have updated the original post to include a few more forum members.  

Where's my ****ing challenge, Soup?

23 minutes ago, Rumbin said:

Typical. He wants you to sign up for boxing while he rolls around with grown men in bathrobes. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rumbin said:

Soup admitted my dominance over him with that lone post your right fren

Benny claims he did some boxing, but the only video you'll find is him getting his head dribbled by a dude with a gunt in the fight that sent him packing from the sport. lol

• Confused 1

On 1/1/2020 at 4:04 PM, Megasoup said:

to hell with that. i want to see stomp run 2 miles in under 15 minutes all while smoking.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, -idyb- said:

to hell with that. i want to see stomp run 2 miles in under 15 minutes all while smoking.

Like a boss Sakuraba 👍

A few cigs a day is not gonna lead to an earlier death and i'm fine with it if it did. I know the risk. My mom is a former smoker for 50+ yrs and never had any adverse effects from it. I likely won't either. Iron genetics i guess. It doesn't effect us that much even chain smoking. Several a day is not gonna make a dent. 

As for quality of life it won't diminish that at all. If anything it will improve it because i find it very enjoyable, relaxing & it stimulates my creativity as well to some degree.  

I do however plan on cutting down a lot and already have since the 1st. I was smoking a pack a day & on occasion a pack and half a day and i'm already down to half a pack and will get that down to about 5-6 a day by the end of the month & stay in that range. 

I get where Soup is coming from and i appreciate it but he's just gonna have to accept it. I'm not a quitter & no means no lol

Just as a side note, my actual fitness goal this year is running a marathon. Last year I signed up to do a half marathon for charity, forgot about it until about 7 weeks before the event, but still trained hard and got round it. I have another half marathon in April, doing a ten mile tough runner in June, and the marathon in September. 

• Like 1

my goal for this year is to take up running but the only way i can see that happening is if my car breaks down and the liquor store is about to close

Edited by -idyb-

So, my goals for this year are simple, basically improve the times across all distances:

Current times:

5k->20:51

10k->43:01

Half marathon->1:45

Full marathon->3:30

Goal times:

5k -> sub 20

10k-> just improve

HM -> try to get close to 1:35

FM-> try to get close to 3:15

Non-running goals:

Get more core training in my plan, as well as bodyweight exercises for the legs, especially for the shorter distances, I think my limit right now is that I do not have the muscle to sustain the power I need to run as fast as I want.

@Megasoup: thanks, but I am average at best among people that take running  seriously hahaha. The pull up is something I've actually had in my mind for a while, will see if I can get a bar installed somewhere in my appartment and give it a go.

@NoCakeForYaya: if you want any advise or have doubts for your marathon training let us know, I went through the process in 2017, and will train for Berlin in september as well and @Bubba_Sparks is also quite the expert ;)

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, Jolldan said:

2019 was my best year in terms of fitness in at least a decade. 

Did my first couple 10ks, dropped over 80lbs and eating a lot healthier.

No set goal as of yet for 2020 debating either maybe going for a half marathon this year or trying to bulk up a little. Went back to the gym after giving myself a two week break on Thursday & Friday my god it was brutal getting back in to it.

@Megasoup - @Jolldan was definitely one of the success stories of the 2019 fitness thread.  I think he is worthy of a goal.

FWIW, Jolldan, no reason you can't do both the HM and bulk up a bit.  

2 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

@Megasoup - @Jolldan was definitely one of the success stories of the 2019 fitness thread.  I think he is worthy of a goal.

FWIW, Jolldan, no reason you can't do both the HM and bulk up a bit.  

Thanks mate yeah good point no reason I can't do both.

Gym is packed just now because its the "new year new me" phase. Not gonna hate on it because tbh that was me last year but it is the busiest I have seen the place.

Might sound messed up but it has actually given me a bit of a boost as usually whoever's on the running either side of me is there for the whole time im there or close to it that im doing my run. Last couple nights however since there been a lot of new folks just getting started I've had like 3, 4 or 5 different sets of people lately in the time its taken me to do it, so when I see them tapping out after a mile or two I go to myself "Hey you've been doing this for nearly a year you need to do at least double them" 😂

• Like 1

Challenging myself to eat as many lobsters and crabs as I can in Mississippi next week. 

Will keep you all updated on my progress.

• Haha 1

On 1/6/2020 at 3:04 PM, amunera said:

So, my goals for this year are simple, basically improve the times across all distances:

Current times:

5k->20:51

10k->43:01

Half marathon->1:45

Full marathon->3:30

Goal times:

5k -> sub 20

10k-> just improve

HM -> try to get close to 1:35

FM-> try to get close to 3:15

Non-running goals:

Get more core training in my plan, as well as bodyweight exercises for the legs, especially for the shorter distances, I think my limit right now is that I do not have the muscle to sustain the power I need to run as fast as I want.

@Megasoup: thanks, but I am average at best among people that take running  seriously hahaha. The pull up is something I've actually had in my mind for a while, will see if I can get a bar installed somewhere in my appartment and give it a go.

@NoCakeForYaya: if you want any advise or have doubts for your marathon training let us know, I went through the process in 2017, and will train for Berlin in september as well and @Bubba_Sparks is also quite the expert ;)

If you have a sturdy door frame you can just buy one of those pull-up bars that latches on to your door frame. You can get a decent one for like 30-40 bucks & it just slips right on.  

I bought one last yr because all i had to strengthen my back is a KB, dumbell's & heavy resistance bands but i was missing that overhead pulling angle and felt that DB deads/rows, band rows/pulldowns just wasn't enough. 

• Thanks 1

Where's my challenge you valour stealing child abandoning salsa raping racist homophobic unregistered gun toting unlicensed vehicle driving giver up of self set bike riding challenges failed woodwork making  Wi-Fi stealing piece of feces?  

Good post tho. Xx

• Like 1

Why would anyone pay someone to go running? Lol

I honestly just don't get the whole i need to sign up for this official event side of running unless it's for charity or something or a professional event. 

It's like buying cred or something.  It's the runner's version of buying instagram followers. LOL Just go run. 

Edited by StompGrind
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Why would anyone pay someone to go running? Lol

I honestly just don't get the whole i need to sign up for this official event side of running unless it's for charity or something or a professional event. 

It's like buying cred or something.  It's the runner's version of buying instagram followers. LOL Just go run. 

The bulk of them I have signed up for raise money for either local charities here in the city or around Scotland, which I don't begrudge if its only a small fee and I know its going to help local folks.

It also keeps me motivated to training as I then have a specific date to work towards when I sign up for them. 

Have literally no idea what you're getting at with the whole Instagram cred thing, I don't do this for either and tbh I can't say I have ever really received either for doing a run lol. 

14 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

The bulk of them I have signed up for raise money for either local charities here in the city or around Scotland, which I don't begrudge if its only a small fee and I know its going to help local folks.

It also keeps me motivated to training as I then have a specific date to work towards when I sign up for them. 

Have literally no idea what you're getting at with the whole Instagram cred thing, I don't do this for either and tbh I can't say I have ever really received either for doing a run lol. 

You do kinda seem like an Instagram wh0re tbh.

14 minutes ago, cashfl0w said:

You do kinda seem like an Instagram wh0re tbh.

Image result for opinion gif

Funny thing is I have had Instagram for a few years but have only recently started following some folks on it and have never even posted on it, so don't really see how I would qualify. 

22 hours ago, Jolldan said:

Wasn't saying you specifically it's just i know some people who sign up for those kinds of events more to show off to their buds or even strangers on social media rather than doing it for a good cause or the the sheer enjoyment of the challenge. i.e. their biggest motivation is to impress others or virtue signal in some way. I don't get that mentality. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StompGrind said:

Wasn't saying you specifically it's just i know some people who sign up for those kinds of events more to show off to their buds or even strangers on social media rather than doing it for a good cause or the the sheer enjoyment of the challenge. i.e. their biggest motivation is to impress others or virtue signal in some way. I don't get that mentality. 

Lol.... Don't get me started..... I've got a couple of mates who regularly post their 3k treadmill run on Instagram.... slow motion clips of their feet and a big smile at the end as if they've just smashed a marathon pr. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, StompGrind said:

You did post it all literally right after I posted the price of one, dunno how else I was meant to take it. 

On 1/11/2020 at 4:12 PM, cashfl0w said:

That settles it. Jolldan is indeed an Instagram wh0re.

Related image

• Like 2

How heavy a kettle bell do you reckon I get to start off with? Not something I have really done before so want something challenging but still doable. 

25 minutes ago, Jolldan said:

How heavy a kettle bell do you reckon I get to start off with? Not something I have really done before so want something challenging but still doable. 

What are you going to do with it?

3 minutes ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

What are you going to do with it?

Just going to try and do the basic exercises like swings, squats, Turkish getups not too good with all the names, was thinking it would be good for doing at home. 

• Like 1