Photo

Censorship Issues (Admin. Response Included)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 thestaton

thestaton
  • Ultimate
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:34 AM

I understand there is a time & place for censorship but this is rediculous. I make a thread explaining why UFC 68 is one of the worst line ups with valid reasons and it gets deleted.

I make a thread on the 49.99 HD cost and I notice the title gets changed.

So what's this forum all about a place to only praise the UFC? I always thought constructive critism was a good thing, but if the admins have so much time on there hands I'll be happy to never post here again and head back to mmaweekly where its unbiased.

wow. pay money to use something only to have the thought police take over.

#2 ContractSeven

ContractSeven
  • Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

I get what your saying, but the admins are just doing it so no problems arise. You are entitled to your opinion, but the way you state it can be differently perceived by others. The admins are just trying to keep anything that may be considered hostile out of the forums for the sake of a arguement arising. I hope you can reason with that and stay in this forum. It actually is a really good forum with good people. Give it a chance.
Contract Seven Fightwear

#3 BigRed511

BigRed511
  • Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:58 AM

This really is a cool forum - naturally we are all fans of the UFC or we would not have joined the club. I really think it is pretty balanced - if you read alot of the threads, you can see. I hear what you're saying about not liking that your threads have been altered, but alot of it has to do with the organization of the site and streamlining dialog. The moderators are really cool intellegent guys - they really have an amazing depth of knowledge...give it a chance dude - I am, not a UFC plant by the way - just a dam fine chick fighter with a wicked cross and a killer smile.

#4 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

thestaton, first of all, your thread about UFC 68 was never deleted. If you care to look at the forums regularly you will find there are other threads out there about UFC 68. Your thread was merged with the "UFC 68 and UFN 9 Schedule" thread in the FIGHTS section of the forums. That thread is based on the www.mmaweekly.com rumor section and is updated regularly based on our members' input. Your information was taken from the same source, thus the merger. Instead of having more than one thread about UFC 68, this helps to keep all information and opinions in one thread in order for people to see everything surrounding the event in a convenient manner, sort of like a big article. This happens because we need the forums to be non-repetitive and less chaotic.

Second of all, the title change for your HD thread was made for the sake of discussion. It was turned into a question so that more members can tell us their opinions. Your original title expressed your opinion and since more people have a say on this, the title changed to a question. Your comments and concerns about HD are still intact in your post. I never touch original posts unless of course they're out of taste. On the other hand, to imply that we're biased towards the UFC is ridiculous and not acceptable. The UFC in and of itself accepts any kind of criticism from its fans in order to further improve their product. So that was an unnecessary statement.

I have changed a lot of thread titles since I was appointed Moderator of this website and will continue to do so until I am told otherwise by my superiors. I want people to understand that when I change titles, I do so to help people participate in your thread. I am not in any way implying that I'm more intelligent than you. That is absurd. My first language is not even English so that is definitely out of the question. So please understand it is not because of that. Again, fair criticism of the moderators' work is appreciated by us because people like you and others who have concerns or ideas help us focus on what we're doing and improve.

#5 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

I understand there is a time & place for censorship but this is rediculous. I make a thread explaining why UFC 68 is one of the worst line ups with valid reasons and it gets deleted.

I make a thread on the 49.99 HD cost and I notice the title gets changed.

So what's this forum all about a place to only praise the UFC? I always thought constructive critism was a good thing, but if the admins have so much time on there hands I'll be happy to never post here again and head back to mmaweekly where its unbiased.

wow. pay money to use something only to have the thought police take over.

thestaton, UAEUFC1984 stated some very fine points about his job as Moderator and stated other points to you to follow as well and I hope you hear what he is saying, I back his decissions 100%. We are not the thought police as you so stated but instead are members just as you are but doing a job that we feel is very important for the development of this Club. I would like you to rethink and reconsider your statements and understand what were trying to achive here buy doing the things we do. This club has a lot of good people in it and I know that you are one of them. I've said it before that everyone is entitled to there opinions but I will say that if they get out of line then we will do what we need to, its only understandable.

Please take the time to reconcider your thoughts and enjoy the FC.
Fight Club Vet & Ret'd Moderator From The Beginning.

#6 thestaton

thestaton
  • Ultimate
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:14 PM

For the record my thread about UFC 68 being a joke is gone and was not merged. Just checked all 5 pages in the UFC 68 rumors and its not there...

The title to this thread was also changed.

I'd like to think we are all grown ups here and don't need anyone editing our thoughts, titles or posts unless they are a clear violation of the rules.

I guess the expression I'm looking for is to many chiefs and not enough indians?

Such things as posting in the title of a thread (Admin response included) is by far nothing more than someone who's enjoying a power trip, and makes the thread not pleasing to the eye to read. Much less when I see it on about 50% of them.

Unless you have information from Dana White or a UFC insider there is no need to post your thoughts or add your title to anyones thread. Because frankly you know nothing more than us, and have stated you get your information from mmaweekly.

I've already been banned once today for about 30 minutes after I posted this thread so I'd assume this will be my farewell. Can't have anyone questioning the Chiefs can we?

For the record I'd enjoy the FC a lot more if you'd leave things alone and only intervene when the situation arises. I am a member of around 20+ forums and I can promise you this is the only one that operates this way.

#7 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:31 PM

thestaton, this is where your thread has been merged: http://forums.ufcfig...hp?t=260&page=2.

We only change the thread titles and not posts or thoughts. As far as the "Admin. Response Included" threads, it is very important because people want to know where the Admins. post. The Admins. are the only ones with the answers. For the record, they are supporting the title changes because it makes their life easier so that they pick and choose the threads that need responses the most. The Admins. can't post in every single thread and answer every single question and that's where the moderators come into play. What does changing a title have to do with being a grown up or not? The thread still has your name on it as a starter and still has your exact post unedited. What's the big deal??!!

As far as I'm concerned, you were never banned from the forums. There must have been something wrong with the website today as I also got an error message and had to refresh my browser every time I logged on.

Finally, this is not mmaweekly or sherdog or any of the 20+ forums you're talking about. This is the UFC Fight Club and just as the UFC is the leader in Mixed Martial Arts, this website will be the leader of all MMA Fan Clubs. We thrive on being unique and better than all other forums out there that tolerate rudeness and disrespect amongst its members and spread rumors all over the place.

For the record, I don't appreciate how you're telling me to do my job. This is the deal. Since this was taken way overboard, I will be starting a poll in the UFC Fight Club section of the forums and have members vote on what they think about how we're conducting our jobs. If the majority share the same opinion as yours, then we will be happy to change our ways.

#8 BigRed511

BigRed511
  • Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

GUYS - THIS IS JUST SILLY!! No one's been harmed man...let's all just relax and talk about UFC, MMA and all the stuff we have in common - we can all disagree or agree or not give a crap - but let's not be nasty - i get enough of that from work.

I just voted that I am very happy with the forum - as an active member, I can unbiasly say this is a very well run site with capable and organized moderators.

#9 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

GUYS - THIS IS JUST SILLY!! No one's been harmed man...let's all just relax and talk about UFC, MMA and all the stuff we have in common - we can all disagree or agree or not give a crap - but let's not be nasty - i get enough of that from work.

I just voted that I am very happy with the forum - as an active member, I can unbiasly say this is a very well run site with capable and organized moderators.

BigRed, thank you for your comments.

You can't please everyone all the time and unfortunently this is the case here. We have all worked very hard to get this Fight Club to were we are and we will continue to do so in the same order as we have been until we are told differently. I am very sorry that one of our Members feels the way they do.

#10 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

Thank you for your confidence in us BigRed511. Just as Poundem said, we can't please everyone. The only thing we can do is listen to the majority, and that's what we are going to do by starting the poll in the "UFC Fight Club" section of the forums. I ask thestaton and everyone else to vote in that poll so that we can truly know what everyone thinks about what we're doing. We will accept the outcome of the polls whatever it is and that's a promise. Without you guys, there are no forums and there is no fight club.

Now, on the other hand, I don't think I need to stress this more than I already did but I will say it again. This is the UFC Fight Club and not mmaweekly, sherdog, etc. If people think the other forums are better, you are entitled to your opinion. Those aforementioned websites are free and accessible to all so feel free to post your thoughts there. The UFC Fight Club Forums will not try to be like other MMA forums. That's the whole point. The thread titles are changed so that the forums have a nice flow to them and easier for everyone to navigate through and look for what they need. It also helps to have certain titles changed to avoid other threads being started that are similar in nature. We don't want 10 threads dealing with the same topic. If I want to reply to one, which one will I choose? Merged threads are also helpful because it creates organization by having one big thread act as an article instead of similar threads dealing with the same topic.

We look forward to finding out what you think about the direction of the forums. Please vote so we can do our jobs better. This will also put to rest any complaints since the majority vote will be taken as the final conclusion.

#11 Roger

Roger
  • Free
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:13 PM

Just for the record. I am against the changing of post titles or content unless they are in breach of forum guidelines. I administer a large forum myself and I know that this is generally not acceptable. The title of a post is like the headline of a news piece and I put some thought into it. However, if the change is due to a merge then I guess it is unavoidable to some extent.
I'm a lover AND a fighter

#12 Skater229

Skater229
  • Free
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:05 AM

I've already been banned once today for about 30 minutes after I posted this thread so I'd assume this will be my farewell. Can't have anyone questioning the Chiefs can we?

If you sit idle too long the forum will time out and you have to reload... The 'You have been banned' screen is what comes up once the timeout has taken place... Just close the page and reload from the main page...

Skater

#13 UFCFAN

UFCFAN
  • Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:50 AM

Ok all, just to clear up something... "Admin response included" means that I personally have responded to the thread. All of your concerns are valid, and I feel that the moderators are doing a great job. It does make it easier for me to know which threads need my response. Of course I would love to continue to have a Happy "everyone gets along" FC, but it is very important to express your concerns too. I am here for you FC!!! As long as the content is not altered in anyway, and the posts are in "good taste", as they have been so far, I am happy with the way things are going. Thanks again everyone for your candidness, it truly is appreciated!
Tissue = Kleenex

Soda = Coke

Football = NFL

MMA = UFC

#14 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Just for the record. I am against the changing of post titles or content unless they are in breach of forum guidelines. I administer a large forum myself and I know that this is generally not acceptable. The title of a post is like the headline of a news piece and I put some thought into it. However, if the change is due to a merge then I guess it is unavoidable to some extent.

Roger, I understand what you're saying. The content of a thread is never altered in any way whatsoever unless it is really necessary (profanity, etc.) Now, to the title changes. I have expressed many times why we do that. Some titles are vague and do not express what's in the thread entirely. This will lead to Admins. not answering any of your questions because they could not see anything leading to them clicking on that thread. They can't click each and every thread out there, and as the fight club grows it will become impossible to do so. Another reason for the change is that this causes other people to not notice that there is something similar to what they want to start a thread about. I change titles for the sake of making clear that this story is already there so please don't copy and start a similar thread. If you notice, the titles do not change completely, I still leave the main words in it. It is also changed to give the forums a consistent look and approach for the future. Like the fighters' pre-fight feedback and post-fight feedback threads, which I have received much support for doing since everything surrounding each fight before or after can be found easily instead of having a lot of threads expressing opinions. Again, I ask you to vote in the poll and leave any comments and we will take them seriously. Trust me when I tell you that I have changed some titles that are completely confusing. Don't forget that I have to try my best to maximize the amount of responses to a thread whether it is by editing a title or merging a thread with another. I am also trying to help people reply to your thread because I, as much as you, is interested in what members think about your topic. The original content of the thread is unharmed and you still are the starter of the thread.

#15 thestaton

thestaton
  • Ultimate
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:36 AM

Roger, I understand what you're saying. The content of a thread is never altered in any way whatsoever unless it is really necessary (profanity, etc.)

weird had a post edited today and I did not use profanity or do anything wrong, just really excited about getting tickets to UFC 68.

#16 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 07:30 PM

thestaton, I just saw that. It was not edited by me. You should talk to Poundem to see why it happened.

#17 impervious

impervious
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Moderators like to put their hands in a bit to much, in my opinion

#18 UAEUFC1984

UAEUFC1984
  • Ultimate
  • 4,232 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

impervious, yes we do. That's our job. Consider us editors for a newspaper. We can't have the same 5 articles in one newspaper now can we? Please let us do our jobs and stop complaining. There are many people who like what we're doing so that means we don't have to change anything at this time. So far, there are only 2 or 3 members who expressed concern. Again, vote in the public poll (http://forums.ufcfig...hread.php?t=344) and post your concerns so we can discuss the forums with you privately if needed.

For people who are confusing our jobs, here is a definition of a Moderator universally (courtesy of www.wikipedia.com) :

A forum moderator is someone granted special powers to enforce the rules (or, as the case may be, their personal whim; the title refers to the powers more than the intent) of an Internet Forum. Almost all moderators on all forums can move discussions to different sections of the forum, "close" or "lock" discussions to prevent users from continuing to discuss them, edit the content of individual postings, answer questions (or help people with problems), and "pin" or "stick" discussions so they remain visible in their forum section even if no new postings are made to them; different forums may give their moderators further powers.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm done posting in this thread. If anyone has any problem, please try to contact me privately. This is not a competition. If the problem persists, I will have to close and lock this thread.

#19 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:44 AM

weird had a post edited today and I did not use profanity or do anything wrong, just really excited about getting tickets to UFC 68.

I gave you a private message on this bro, you'll know why, it should stay private as well ok. Thanks.

#20 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

I agree with UAEUFC1984 on his last post here on this thread. No more will be said about this or the thread will be locked.

Hey we haven't had to lock out a thread yet and personally I can't see why we should have to start. Lets all just enjoy the Club and have it stay as the best club and be proud to be a part of it. I know I am. Thanks folks.

#21 impervious

impervious
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

shouldnt this entire thread have been private?
if only a few people have had problems with the use
of your "special Power" why wouldnt you just talk to them

#22 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

shouldnt this entire thread have been private?
if only a few people have had problems with the use
of your "special Power" why wouldnt you just talk to them

No thread should be private, were all members and everyone is entitled to their opinions, the only private thing you can have is in the Chat room with someone or send a private message, and you can't always get through. As you know with some people you can talk to them until your blue in the face and they just don't understand; no big deal, we'll just deal with what ever comes along and see that everything turns out in the best interest of members and the Club. Enjoy.

#23 MosulMadman

MosulMadman
  • Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

Wow everyone is acting like the mods are completely altering what is being said. No one is calling red blue all they are doing is changing the way you describe red to make your thread get more hits or to condense bandwidth. I wouldn't even call that censorship and I DESPISE censorship. I would just call it help. The way I see it is that if you wanted sherdog or MMAweekly by all means post there. I however have been a member of both for quite a long time and am thus far extremely happy with these forums because they are not like the others. If I wanted the others I would simply post on them.

#24 Poundem

Poundem
  • Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

Wow everyone is acting like the mods are completely altering what is being said. No one is calling red blue all they are doing is changing the way you describe red to make your thread get more hits or to condense bandwidth. I wouldn't even call that censorship and I DESPISE censorship. I would just call it help. The way I see it is that if you wanted sherdog or MMAweekly by all means post there. I however have been a member of both for quite a long time and am thus far extremely happy with these forums because they are not like the others. If I wanted the others I would simply post on them.

This is true, if anyone feels like they want to post on the other sites, knock yourself out, and thanks MosulMadman for your thoughts.

#25 impervious

impervious
  • Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

This is true, if anyone feels like they want to post on the other sites, knock yourself out, and thanks MosulMadman for your thoughts.

that new rampage video is GREAT!!