Sign in to follow this  
brewster

Karo

This happened during today's meeting at the NSAC:

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday suspended welterweight contender Karo Parisyan for nine months, fined him $24,000 and ruled his split decision victory against Dong Hyun Kim a no decision in wake of a positive test for three banned painkillers at UFC 94 ?St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? in January.

The penalties -- he will also be forced to submit to random testing during his suspension -- were levied against Parisyan at an NSAC hearing in Las Vegas. The 26-year-old judoka, who has a well-chronicled history of panic attacks, was flagged for suspected use of Hydrocodone, Hydromorphone and Oxymorphone.

Dude, he was caught using prescription strength painkillers. 3 of them. One of them was Oxymorphone which is approximately 8X stronger than morphine.

Which he lied to the commission about using during his pre-fight medical questionnaire.

Dude' date=' he was caught using prescription strength painkillers. 3 of them. One of them was Oxymorphone which is approximately 8X stronger than morphine.

edit: of which he lied to the commission about using during his pre-fight medical questionnaire.[/quote']

It sounds to me like he was an addict. Not trying to hate on the man, but seriously, that is a lot of pain killers, and for something that happened a long time ago. It just does not make sense that he would need that much and then lie about it several times. Am I the only person who feels this way?

Also, that is kind of good for the UFC that the fight was over turned. Because now Stun Gun is still undefeated, and is probably going to be a big draw to the Korean fans again. I believe he won the fight anyways, so I think a no contest isnt such a bad thing. Teaches Karo a quick, and very difficult life lesson.

PED's are just a no go, if it's for an addiction or to alleviate the pain of training you deal with it after a match and not before.

Stupid people need to know when they should say no otherwise they might as well look in the mirror and ask themselves am I a fighter?

And that's something he and Ken Shamrock didn't bother doing so screw him.

A very rare serious post from me.

Should athletes be able to use medications under strict supervision from commission certified doctors? The athlete must have his condition verified by this doctor and any medications listed (along with the appropriate test levels). So the fighter can receive treatment and still fight. If the fighter tests outside the agreed dosage levels, he is suspended etc.

Would this be something that is good for the sport? Properly diagnosed injuries and illnesses, being treated in a controlled fashion, rather than athletes taking the risk of self medication in stupid dosages and hoping not to get caught?

Thoughts??

I believe this is the way it is currently being done.

(I think) If a fighter has an illness and is taking a prescribed dosage of a medication that may be on the banned list, it is up to that fighter to inform the Commission and they will work together to evaluate the fighters condition and if he is able to fight with the condition for which they are being medically prescribed.

If someone is on a pain medication, the bigger problem may not be the medication as there are always drugs that can be prescribed that are not going to make someone test positive, but what injury has caused this needs for meds.

A person with chronic high blood pressure, could have medication that would have them test positive, and I am sure High blood pressure is something has come up in fighter from time to time.

This is a good question that I might ask Keith Kizer about...

I believe this is the way it is currently being done.

(I think) If a fighter has an illness and is taking a prescribed dosage of a medication that may be on the banned list' date=' it is up to that fighter to inform the Commission and they will work together to evaluate the fighters condition and if he is able to fight with the condition for which they are being medically prescribed.

If someone is on a pain medication, the bigger problem may not be the medication as there are always drugs that can be prescribed that are not going to make someone test positive, but what injury has caused this needs for meds.

A person with chronic high blood pressure, could have medication that would have them test positive, and I am sure High blood pressure is something has come up in fighter from time to time.

This is a good question that I might ask Keith Kizer about...[/quote']

Yeah this is the type of thing I am talking about! My suggestion would be that a commission appoint doctors that first verify conditions, and whether the fight should continue, and if it can, they prescribe medications and dosage levels, that are both safe and appropriate. Step outside those lines and pay the price.

I would be very interested to hear the answers you get.

I feel this is a fair penalty. I really hope Karo has someone knowledgeable helping him through this as this is obviously well beyond a physical pain issue. From the interviews I have watched with him, he has little understanding of how panic disorder manifests and can be treated. His subsequent positive test for pain killers show to me that he is getting some really dodgy advice about how to manage his health, mental and physical. I am a fan of Karo and I want to see him back in top form.

I feel this is a fair penalty. I really hope Karo has someone knowledgeable helping him through this as this is obviously well beyond a physical pain issue. From the interviews I have watched with him' date=' he has little understanding of how panic disorder manifests and can be treated. His subsequent positive test for pain killers show to me that he is getting some really dodgy advice about how to manage his health, mental and physical. I am a fan of Karo and I want to see him back in top form.[/quote']

Good gawd did you have to change the Av? It was difficult enough to concentrate before.

Geeezzz. Nicely done.

A very rare serious post from me.

Should athletes be able to use medications under strict supervision from commission certified doctors? The athlete must have his condition verified by this doctor and any medications listed (along with the appropriate test levels). So the fighter can receive treatment and still fight. If the fighter tests outside the agreed dosage levels' date=' he is suspended etc.

Would this be something that is good for the sport? Properly diagnosed injuries and illnesses, being treated in a controlled fashion, rather than athletes taking the risk of self medication in stupid dosages and hoping not to get caught?

Thoughts??[/quote']

Those drugs that he was alleged to have taken are some serious stuff and it is very unlikely that he sustained any injury remotely serious enough to justify such strong pain killers and even if he did if it was still necessary to take those types of drugs for tht type of pain then he is no condition to fight at all. Most likely this kid has a problem how big remains to be seen but there is definitely something wrong.

Good gawd did you have to change the Av? It was difficult enough to concentrate before.

Geeezzz. Nicely done.

LMAO!

Okay so two places I need to go before I kick the bucket and am 6 feet under...

Brasssil

and AUSSSIE!

I think we all know why ;)

I speak from first hand experience when it comes to addiction. In July it will be 15 years since I kicked drugs and every day I see people who aren't as blessed as I am. If in fact this is a problem for Karo, it can be a rough road. I wish him the best.

I speak from first hand experience when it comes to addiction. In July it will be 15 years since I kicked drugs and every day I see people who aren't as blessed as I am. If in fact this is a problem for Karo' date=' it can be a rough road. I wish him the best.[/quote']

Agreed. I hope he kicks the habit. It really does seem like he is an addict though IMO. The way things keep rolling for him it just seems like something is up.

i thought DHKim won the fight anyway.

Agreed. Even though I would have done worse on my Fantasy lol I also believed he won the fight. Not by a large margin though. That night had some good fights IMO.

I doubt he has panic attacks, he probably has withdrawl from opiates which he claims are panic symptoms but its really just him shaking, sweating and vomiting from lack of opiates.

If he had panic attacks which are very normal for many people in the spotlight a doctor would prescribe Xanax or a pill from that family of medicine, benzodiazepine.

Sorry boys ;)

This video has made me more concerned than ever that Karo doesn't have anyone intelligent looking after him and his interests, God knows he needs it. Why, why, why didn't he get a lawyer? I think he is so talented and now it is crunch time - he will either get better from this or descend even further.

I doubt he has panic attacks' date=' he probably has withdrawl from opiates which he claims are panic symptoms but its really just him shaking, sweating and vomiting from lack of opiates.

If he had panic attacks which are very normal for many people in the spotlight a doctor would prescribe Xanax or a pill from that family of medicine, benzodiazepine.[/quote']

His doctor did prescribe benzos, but he opted not to take them.

wasnt it 32K?

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday suspended welterweight contender Karo Parisyan for nine months, fined him $24,000 and ruled his split decision victory against Dong Hyun Kim a no decision in wake of a positive test for three banned painkillers at UFC 94 ?St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? in January.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Tuesday suspended welterweight contender Karo Parisyan for nine months' date=' fined him $24,000 and ruled his split decision victory against Dong Hyun Kim a no decision in wake of a positive test for three banned painkillers at UFC 94 ?St. Pierre vs. Penn 2? in January.[/quote']

Oh I thought it was 40% of his purse... Oh well still a lot of money to toss out a window.

His doctor did prescribe benzos' date=' but he opted not to take them.[/quote']

Weird. Perhaps he was afraid of drug interactions with the opiates. I know a guy who died taking a lot of Xanax and Oxy.

Weird. Perhaps he was afraid of drug interactions with the opiates. I know a guy who died taking a lot of Xanax and Oxy.

I completely concede that maybe I am being way too naive here, but I didn't even consider this as an option. My initial thought was that having a disorder that is perceived as being "all in your head" could potentially be embarassing, particularly to a fighter, therefore he opted to avoid the Xanax because he wanted to be tough enough to control it. Everyone gets physical ailments, so popping pills for that would be completly OK. But if you are right, then the problem is way bigger than I imagined and it really is an addiction. I don't want to think that though. :(

are these drugs perfomance enhancing? also on a different subject, how often are fighters tested, and what do the NSAC rules say about ilegal recreational narcotics like cocaine for example.

No they are not neccesarily performance enhancing, but pain killing. Drugs that stop pain are illegal because it gives you an unfair advantage.

Cocaine is a hard drug to detect, but it is still a banned substance, along with other street drugs as well.