Sign in to follow this  
brewster

Kyle Maynard

Just wondering what you all think about Kyle Maynard fighting in MMA?

In case you don't know who Kyle is, he is the amazing wrestler out of Georgia who has no arms and no legs.

He is scheduled to fight on April 25 in Auburn, AL. He wanted to fight in his home state of Georgia, however the Athletic Commission would not approve him for a fighters license.

Alabama does not have an Athletic Commission.

grp_091505contender.jpg

Just wondering what you all think about Kyle Maynard fighting in MMA?

In case you don't know who Kyle is' date=' he is the amazing wrestler out of Georgia who has no arms and no legs.

He is scheduled to fight on April 25 in Auburn, AL. He wanted to fight in his home state of Georgia, however the Athletic Commission would not approve him for a fighters license.

Alabama does not have an Athletic Commission.

[img']http://www.rd.com/images/content/091505/grp_091505contender.jpg[/img]

I have no beef with the guy, he's very inspirational but hes not for MMA, i'm not trying discriminate against him but he shouldnt be allowed to fight and its unfair to his opponent

Yeah I dont want to be rude or anything but in all seriousness... this cannot be real. What are his advantages? He is probably very light so will be fighting at a smaller class, but how would he SUB someone or KO someone. Also, how is he good at wrestling? Does he fight other Quads as well? I just am not understanding this course of his actions.

oh it's real.

My thoughts are that they will implement amateur rules as they are set in Georgia. No punches to the face or elbows on the ground. Seeing as Kyle is always on the ground, he wont be punched in the face if these rules are used.

perhaps not, but do you feel he should be allowed to chase his dream? If this man who knows and understands the risks and accepts them, but has a desire to compete, as strong as it is, to push himself and his goals. Shouldn't he be allowed to compete, to perhaps show people that he over came his disability in one sport and wants to prove to perhaps no one else than himself that he can do this to the best of his ability as well?

Mask told us to "Simply Believe", Kyle lives by that every day of his life.

I have seen several specials on TV about Kyle, including a great one on HBO Real Sports. It's nothing short of amazing to watch what this guy can do not only on a wrestling mat but in every day chores and tasks. Can he fight in mma? I would have to say probably not but people have been saying he probably can't do things his entire life and he just keeps doing them. Great post Brew.

it just doesnt seem like the rite sport for him. u cant put him in an ankle lock... no arm bar... like many i find it very inspirational and im glad i hear about him, but my vote is no for mma..

If he had maybe arms, or fake arms, I could see it. They would just have to be made of something special. But imagine a strong guy like Page (even though not the same weight class) grabbing him and turning him into Arona. ... I just fear for the guys safety.

The more I think about it, the more I have to say to myself, who am I to say he can't do it? Someone earlier said it perfect when they said people have probably been telling him he can't do things his whole life, yet time and time again he proves them and us wrong.

This is a man who knows the risks associated with what he is doing and accepts them and feels that regardless of his disability, he will always push himself to overcome it, no matter what the situation.

This is what Charles "Mask" Lewis was talking about when he said, "Always Believe".

The more I think about it' date=' the more I have to say to myself, who am I to say he can't do it? Someone earlier said it perfect when they said people have probably been telling him he can't do things his whole life, yet time and time again he proves them and us wrong.

[b']This is a man who knows the risks associated with what he is doing and accepts them and feels that regardless of his disability, he will always push himself to overcome it, no matter what the situation.[/b]

This is what Charles "Mask" Lewis was talking about when he said, "Always Believe".

I know he understands and accepts the risks but its not really up to him. Thats what the commissioners are for...they are the ones to decide if its safe or not. Personally, I dont think its safe for him to do it...

Which is why he has had to fight in a state not controlled by an athletic commission. Mind you that alone is not good... he wasn't able to get his fighter's license in Georgia, so he fights in Alabama. If he does well enough that he wants to fight again, perhaps in a State needing his clearance, the Commission will not look favorably when he applies again, simply because he to some degree, went against their decision.

Kyle trains at with Rory Singer at the Hardcore Gym, yes, the gym Forrest originally came from...

Before I begin, let me start out as saying hello!! I have been following MMA for roughly three or four years, and I am probably considered a weirdo since I am an "older female" and most females my age don't watch ANY MMA fights, much less keep up on the fighters.

Having said that (along with "hello" LOL), I found a article online about an upcoming MMA fight that is stirring up some controversy here locally due to one particular fighter who is an amputee...so I wanted to post the link to the article and ask: Should there be an amputee involved in MMA? Will there possibly be an amputee that will try to compete in the UFC or WEC? How do you feel about the subject?

Here is the link for the article: http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090423/SPORTS/90423042&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Sure, he can fight and he can follow his dream. I am sure he has always had people telling him he couldn't do things, but there comes a point when you have to accept your limitations.

he had an incredible high school wrestling career, but mma is different. Someone said it above, but, what if he gets kicked in the chest or stomach?

On the other side of the coin, why would someone want to fight him? This is the biggest question to me. I wouldn't. If I beat him, people will be like, so what you beat a guy with no arms and no legs. If I lose to him... probably my last match ever, losing to a guy with no arms and no legs. I'm not making fun here. I am dead serious.

While I agree with Mask, Always Believe. I think you also have to be realistic.