Sign in to follow this  
LOCC

respect to: UFC and Tapout

I just want to say I think the UFC did a good job with the video honoring Tapout co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis. His Tapout crew is good for the sport, spreading the word and sparking interest in it.

......and how about his crew? They just lost their longtime friend and brother, but there they were at the next live event, in Nashville. Awesome, It's what he would've wanted. i know that is cliche' but it's so true. We heard it in his voice and words, the love he had for the sport of MMA and how that love helped him and his friends build their brand. Not only were they there, they were taking pics with fans during breaks in between fights.

I was not a big fan of the Tapout crew when i first saw them and their show. The painted face, the costumes, the antics and the nicknames. It seemed like another reality show gimmick. The more i watched though, the more i saw how much they enjoyed MMA and how much they helped some young fighters who really needed it. I learned that they really did lots of good things for some less fortunate fighters. i hope Punkass and Skyscrape carry on.

And I would assume you also noticed that they left his seat empty at the event.

I only wish that the UFC had done something similar for Evan Tanner and Helio Gracie.

i didn't have a good view of their seats, that was a cool gesture as well. i'm right there with you on honoring those guys as well. if the hasn't happened, then that is a serious oversight by the UFC.

i never liked the guy. a child dies every 5 seconds in the word' date=' why should one guy in drag matter?[/quote']

No one ever liked you. Please go jump off of a bridge or go watch something you like. If you have no education of the sport, which you seem to keep showing, then dont waste your time on here trying to be an *******

I was sad to hear of his passing... From what I have read, and watched, this guy lived, breathed, and bled MMA... He supported the sport from day one, and when he "MADE IT" he began to give back... He, Punkass, and SkySkrape, paid their dues on the road, and when they made it, they offered other young guys the chance to succeed..

We all make mistakes and poor decisions, and anyone criticising Mask for driving his car too fast, and racing someone is missing the point.. It was a bad decision, and he paid for it with his life, lets not let that negate all the good he did...

I for one will miss him and I hope the crew continues to grow his vision...!!

Dave

Dave, good to see you here.

While it is true that once they made it, they gave back to the sport.. the whole story is they were giving back to the sport long before they could afford to.

Kirik has written a post about it on the ug. Talking about them living out of a car, with shirts in the trunk going show to show... Sometimes not having enough cash for a room, but still sponsoring fighters.

As a guy who has been inspired by TapouT, I am just in the process of launching a clothing line. The web site will be up in a week or so (god willing!!) Anyways, taking a page from their book, we are starting small, going to local shows here, then branching out. We will advertise etc. But, not get caught up in having to get our name on a guy on the UFC ppv. There are many young, hungry fighters out there that need the support.. the kind of support that the TapouT guys have always given. Building on that, if you see my clothes on a UFC ppv one day, you will know that, just like TapouT, many young fighters were helped along the way. We're not doing this clothing thing to make money. If that was the case there are easier ways. I own a company that pays the bills etc. MMA is a passion for me and my son. I have been a fan since day one. My son wants to fight mma when he gets older. Nice to share a passion with your kid!

Anyways.. much respect to the TapouT crew. Keep on doing what you do.

And I would assume you also noticed that they left his seat empty at the event.

I only wish that the UFC had done something similar for Evan Tanner and Helio Gracie.

I agree. The tributes during the UFN and WEC shows were absolutely wonderful! But I couldn't stop thinking they should've went half as far in remembering Evan. I don't remember what they did for Evan, but I do remember waiting and waiting for it, and I think it never came during an event, but only on the website?

It just hit me tho....

Tapout would be paying the UFC

while

The UFC would be paying Evan

Bet that had a big part of the memorials of both and the way they were carried out.

That's terrible to hear about that with Evan Tanner's family, it should be common courtesy. Companies that flat out hate people still send something, let alone a company that promotes itself as a sort of family.