Sign in to follow this  
JujitsWho

Gonzaga vs Lesner: Could he take down the champ?

I think with his combination of striking, power, and BJJ this could be a very tough test for the champion. Brocks ground game sucks, as far as BJJ goes. Gonzaga is suprisingly fast for his size. I'm sure everyone will think I'm crazy, but I think Gonzaga could steal a win from the champ.

I think with his combination of striking' date=' power, and BJJ this could be a very tough test for the champion. Brocks ground game sucks, as far as BJJ goes. Gonzaga is suprisingly fast for his size. I'm sure everyone will think I'm crazy, but I think Gonzaga could steal a win from the champ.[/quote']

He could, but Brock has the same style as Carwin except he is stronger and hits just as hard. He could just make Gonzaga stand up with him because of his wrestling ability and then allow the striking to choose the winner. It is a hard match to call, but I would say if I had to bet, then Brock would TKO him in round 1 or 2

He could' date=' but Brock has the same style as Carwin except he is stronger and hits just as hard. He could just make Gonzaga stand up with him because of his wrestling ability and then allow the striking to choose the winner. It is a hard match to call, but I would say if I had to bet, then Brock would TKO him in round 1 or 2[/quote']

i think the brock-Gonzaga matchup could go either way, because Gonzaga had Carwin rocked in the beginning of the 1st round, so Gonzaga can do the same with Brock but he has to be consistent.

Gabe was beating the snot out of Carwin and Carwin got the percift punch in to change the fight... Carwin won the fight with that puch but in no way beat down gabe... i think Gabe could beat brock

i think Gonzaga stands a better chance then Carwin does.

Totally and utterly agree with this statement. I also believe that if there is a HW with speed and some power and good ground game he would dominate the HW division. Because the UFC has some slow HW's. One name comes to mind.

Gonzaga would bet Brock unless he wouldnt made the same mistake he did with Carwin. I was really sad to see Carwin win beacuse i wanted to see Gonzaga vs Brock

i believe lesnar should go back to wwe. he is not a true champion till he beats mir. gonzaga is a phenomenal fighter and has the size to take out lesnar in a blink of an eye.

i believe lesnar should go back to wwe. he is not a true champion till he beats mir. gonzaga is a phenomenal fighter and has the size to take out lesnar in a blink of an eye.

He hasn't fought Mir, which will make him a 'true' champion, but he should still go back to WWE?

Why?

He hasn't fought Mir' date=' which will make him a 'true' champion, but he should still go back to WWE?

Why?[/quote']

cause Mir is gonna make him scream like a girl again

WOW! Ya .... the blink of an eye .... and its all over .... :rolleyes:

I'd like to see the Gonzaga strikes he landed on Carwin on Brocks chin, would Brock also still have been standing you reckon? He has the neck to take them, just wondering how great that Carwin chin really is, cause those were KO or TKO material 9 out of 10 times... ok 8 out of 10

I'd like to see the Gonzaga strikes he landed on Carwin on Brocks chin' date=' would Brock also still have been standing you reckon? He has the neck to take them, just wondering how great that Carwin chin really is, cause those were KO or TKO material 9 out of 10 times... ok 8 out of 10[/quote']

I think Herring, and maby Nog would have taken those shots... Not that Gonzaga can't muster shots that will drop those guys as well, but I'm not sure we've seen proof of Carwin's iron chin just yet. If he had stayed there and kept getting hit by Gabe in that fight it would have been a matter of time, but he had to pull off the best 1 inch punch MMA has ever seen :P

I think Herring' date=' and maby Nog would have taken those shots... Not that Gonzaga can't muster shots that will drop those guys as well, but I'm not sure we've seen proof of Carwin's iron chin just yet. If he had stayed there and kept getting hit by Gabe in that fight it would have been a matter of time, but he had to pull off the best 1 inch punch MMA has ever seen :P[/quote']

Carwain was seconds from the fight getting stoped when he hit that hail marry right hand... its was a punch of desparation that he landed nothing more and gabe just steped into it...

I don't think wither of them guys can really KO herring... Herring got hit so hard his face broke when fighting Brock and still took that fight to the judges...

the only other fighter i can think of that has kept fighting after having their face broken was Sakuraba and he even had to stop before the end of the fight and that dude was a beast

your whack man, Brock gots the real belt and he got it from somebody whose probably better then Mir and thats Randy Couture. Frank Mir beat a ill Big nog, big nog was suffering from a bad staph infection.

Regarding the Carwin punch how was that a "hail mary"? He got rocked, recovered very quickly and through a solid right that Knocked Gonzaga the hell out. No luck involved in that at all that was pure power and determination. And i Gurantee both Carwin and Gonzaga could KO Hering. He was the stepping stone in Pride and now he is taking that place again in the UFC.

Regarding the original Question Did you forget how badly Randy Spanked Gabe? He beat the living hell out of him and as much as i hated to see it Brock beat Randy down so i really doubt Gabe would fair much better

the worst match up for shane carwin would be brock... i think the worst match up for brock is a skilled striker , which gonzaga is but eventually i would like to see kongo vs lesnar.. and i want to see more of dos santos climbing the ladder but eventually i could see him as a lesnar threat.

i didnt like mire before i met him... didnt like him after! this is the first and last time im cheering for brock. q; )

Second last time, you are forgetting the rubber match he could possibly have with the great and mighty Mir :rolleyes:

Regarding the Carwin punch how was that a "hail mary"? He got rocked' date=' recovered very quickly and through a solid right that Knocked Gonzaga the hell out. No luck involved in that at all that was pure power and determination. And i Gurantee both Carwin and Gonzaga could KO Hering. He was the stepping stone in Pride and now he is taking that place again in the UFC.

Regarding the original Question Did you forget how badly Randy Spanked Gabe? He beat the living hell out of him and as much as i hated to see it Brock beat Randy down so i really doubt Gabe would fair much better[/quote']

Recovered Quickly? Did we watch the same fight? That man still wasnt right at the Post Fight. I give him credit for fighting when his Processor got flashed but he was in no way recovered. I would bet that he threw up when he got to the back stage.

the worst match up for shane carwin would be brock... i think the worst match up for brock is a skilled striker ' date=' which gonzaga is but eventually i would like to see kongo vs lesnar.. and i want to see more of dos santos climbing the ladder but eventually i could see him as a lesnar threat.[/quote']

I would love to see Kongo vs Lesnar. I wished this fight wouldve happened pre-title fight.

Recovered Quickly? Did we watch the same fight? That man still wasnt right at the Post Fight. I give him credit for fighting when his Processor got flashed but he was in no way recovered. I would bet that he threw up when he got to the back stage.

I would love to see Kongo vs Lesnar. I wished this fight wouldve happened pre-title fight.

You must have been watching a different one than me also.

Way I viewed it was:

Gonzaga came out quick and hit 2 very nice shots on Carwin, rocking him.

Carwin stepped back and clinched when Gonzaga came in.(This showed signed of recovering)

Gonzaga then did a take down and took the top position.

Carwin very quickly got out and back to his feet. ( This showed he had fullly recovered.)

((Unless Gonzaga has the worst ground game in mma? Which I personally don't believe)

Gonzaga threw a couple of worthless shots. Which Carwin blocked. ( Clearly showing he was fully recovered)

Carwin is clearly showen looking at exactly where he threw a short jab and then a short right KTFO Gonzaga. ( The clear looking at your opponent and mental note as what to throw, showed it was a mental target that landed.)

This would clearly show it was not a lucky hail marry, and a hell of alot of power by Carwin.

Try rewatching some old Carwin fight, he has never been fast off the start and has been tagged in several fights, before he got it in gear and ended them.

Back on subject.

It has to go 3 thru 5th for Gonzaga to win.

Reasoning:

Brock will not come out as slow as Carwin, and doult Gonzaga with get that connection again with 2 pounch as Brock is fast the first 2 rounds. He will clinch and take Gonzaga down, attempting to GnP.

The first 2 rounds are Brocks best 2 to tko Gonzaga.

If you look at his fight with Randy, at the end Lesnar looked like he was starting to gas out.

I think Gonzaga mid to late 3rd thru 4th has his best chance at tko'ing Lesnar.

The beginning of the 5th Brock will come out trying to KO Gonzaga if it goes that long, as long has he does not hurt or tko Gonzaga after 1:30 Brock will be spent and Gonzaga can hurt him or win by UD.

Brock and Carwin: Carwin starts to slow and if Brock Catches him like Gonzaga did, with Brocks strength he will take Carwin to the group and fly into Gnp mode with a tko win.

If Carwin could get off the blocks faster, I see a win by KO or TKO, belive Brock will go down from a full right and Carwin will rain bombs, which Brock has as of yet to feel at this time.

Tho I don't see Carwin overnight learning to start faster.

Looked to me that Gonzaga didnt realize Carwin was rocked fell against the fence and took Carwin down lazily. Carwin stood back up (kinda like drunks do when they fall) and then Gonzaga threw a couple of terrible punches Carwin throws one out there and it hits.

Nothing precise about those last punches from either fighter. It was a clear case of fighting in a haze with your instincts taking over for Carwin.

That being said I think he would lose to Brock, Randy, Kongo, Mir, Herring and a rematch with Gonzaga. That fight didnt improve my view of Carwin.

Looked to me that Gonzaga didnt realize Carwin was rocked fell against the fence and took Carwin down lazily. Carwin stood back up (kinda like drunks do when they fall) and then Gonzaga threw a couple of terrible punches Carwin throws one out there and it hits.

Nothing precise about those last punches from either fighter. It was a clear case of fighting in a haze with your instincts taking over for Carwin.

That being said I think he would lose to Brock' date=' Randy, Kongo, Mir, Herring and a rematch with Gonzaga. That fight didnt improve my view of Carwin.[/quote']

Some good points. Some uh dunno. I'm definantly not sold yet. One more should do it.

That being said I think he would lose to Brock' date=' Randy, Kongo, Mir, Herring and a rematch with Gonzaga. That fight didnt improve my view of Carwin.[/quote']

Which fight did you watch?

Gonzaga rushed Carwin, Carwin clinched, Gonzaga pushed Carwin back to the cage grabbed the right leg for a take down which carwin was blocking till Gonzaga kicked out the right one, and on top Gonzaga was trying fast as he could to throw elbows for the tko, with only one connecting elbow, before Carwin pushed out basicly and got back on his feet. Also it is extremely clear even in a poor quality vid, Carwin set up countered and jabbed and landed the right with Gonzaga leaning away even when the right connected.

Gonzaga did not walk into it, he was actually leaning away, which takes alot away from a punch.

Think I already stated he would lose to Brock currently, Mir unless Mir goes in leaving himself completely open. Kongo 50/50. Gonzaga I actually believe gets tko'ed, he will stay outside trying not to bang after the first fight, and leg kick and go for takedowns, I see Gonzaga taking alot of punshment coming in to do takedowns, and getting hurt coming out of clinches. Herring with simplely be another under 2 min KO.

Anyone who has fought before and not been just a watcher can tell by the way Carwin sets after he gets back up, he is fully recovered. I see extremely little foggyness after the takedown and none by the time he got back up.

Which fight did you watch?

Gonzaga rushed Carwin' date=' Carwin clinched, Gonzaga pushed Carwin back to the cage grabbed the right leg for a take down which carwin was blocking till Gonzaga kicked out the right one, and on top Gonzaga was trying fast as he could to throw elbows for the tko, with only one connecting elbow, before Carwin pushed out basicly and got back on his feet. Also it is extremely clear even in a poor quality vid, Carwin set up countered and jabbed and landed the right with Gonzaga leaning away even when the right connected.

Gonzaga did not walk into it, he was actually leaning away, which takes alot away from a punch.

Think I already stated he would lose to Brock currently, Mir unless Mir goes in leaving himself completely open. Kongo 50/50. Gonzaga I actually believe gets tko'ed, he will stay outside trying not to bang after the first fight, and leg kick and go for takedowns, I see Gonzaga taking alot of punshment coming in to do takedowns, and getting hurt coming out of clinches. Herring with simplely be another under 2 min KO.

Anyone who has fought before and not been just a watcher can tell by the way Carwin sets after he gets back up, he is fully recovered. I see extremely little foggyness after the takedown and none by the time he got back up.[/quote']

Thank you for actually knowing what you are talking about.

I think that neither of these guys are the true UFC heavyweight champs. Mir and Carwin are the biggest threats. Lesnar would lost to Carwin early because he does not have any size advantage at all. Mir is a good contender because of pure skill, I look for him to win at 100 by submission just like he did the first time

I think that neither of these guys are the true UFC heavyweight champs. Mir and Carwin are the biggest threats. Lesnar would lost to Carwin early because he does not have any size advantage at all. Mir is a good contender because of pure skill' date=' I look for him to win at 100 by submission just like he did the first time[/quote']

Ummmmmm... Lesnar is still heavier and more muscular then Carwin. Lesnar is... HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Feel free to read my first and latest blog regarding this subject in my profile, and I encourage any and all comments. It mainly talks about another fight with Mir, and you already know who I'm going to take.

I think with his combination of striking' date=' power, and BJJ this could be a very tough test for the champion. Brocks ground game sucks, as far as BJJ goes. Gonzaga is suprisingly fast for his size. I'm sure everyone will think I'm crazy, but I think Gonzaga could steal a win from the champ.[/quote']

it would be close i must say i honistly dunno who would take it.it would have to go to the ground i cuddnt see it any other way i think gonzaga could possible take it if mir can then why cant gonzaga

it would be close i must say i honistly dunno who would take it.it would have to go to the ground i cuddnt see it any other way i think gonzaga could possible take it if mir can then why cant gonzaga

Gonzaga is better then Mir at every aspect of fighting except maybe wrestling. Mir............ well Mir has Mazzagatti in his corner. He also has a strong streak of luck. Mir is average, nothing more, maybe less. Still though, Brock could sprawl them both and rape them if he kept it on his feet.

Gonzaga is better then Mir at every aspect of fighting except maybe wrestling. Mir............ well Mir has Mazzagatti in his corner. He also has a strong streak of luck. Mir is average' date=' nothing more, maybe less. Still though, Brock could sprawl them both and rape them if he kept it on his feet.[/quote']

Ok now I just think your underrating Mir when you say he's below average...

Dude I think you are crazy. To think that Carwin wasnt still seeing stars when he caught Gonzaga. I dont think he was recovered I think it was instincts taking over.

I would love to see Kongo Carwin fight. If Carwin wins I would have a much better view on the guy. And a fight like that could set up a title match for him.

Ok now I just think your underrating Mir when you say he's below average...

Well tell me why.. As of right now his stand up is okay, but nothing special. (gonzaga is better)

His BJJ is okay to good but again nothing special (gonzaga is better)

his wrestling is okay but nothing special (Gonzaga could be equal in this stage)

His clinch is not that good (again Gonzaga I would have to say is better just because Mir is not good at this)

Strength... well he isnt that strong

speed... well he isnt that fast...

size... well he isnt bigger then anyone really at HW, and if he is its not by much.