Sign in to follow this  
The_Q

If you are/were a well-trained martial artist/MMA practioner, how far would you go?

in a street fight?

how much damage would you do? would you even engage at all unless it was complete self defense and you had no choice?

would you strike as little as possible and keep giving the other guy a chance to back down, or would you go full force and put him down cold, no mercy?

if you had him in a joint lock...would you break it?

if you had in a choke...how far would you go with it?

if your life was in jeopardy?

if your life was likely NOT in Jeopardy (just some ****** looking to show off)?

In a street fight I would look to do as little damage as possible while at the same time getting myself out of danger! BJJ employs a lot of blood chokes which are perfect for this situation. A blood choke can end a fight without much damage allowing you to get away from your attacker or find help and call the police. The breaking of joints is always a last resort as a lot of the joint locks used can permanently maim a person! Really the only time they are used to the point of breaking is on the battlefield or if YOUR LIFE is in danger.

In a street fight I would look to do as little damage as possible while at the same time getting myself out of danger! BJJ employs a lot of blood chokes which are perfect for this situation. A blood choke can end a fight without much damage allowing you to get away from your attacker or find help and call the police. The breaking of joints is always a last resort as a lot of the joint locks used can permanently maim a person! Really the only time they are used to the point of breaking is on the battlefield or if YOUR LIFE is in danger.

you walk out of a movie with your wife at night into the parking lot.

some punk and his buddy who thought you looked at him funny inside, bum-rushes you out of nowhere and has on your back, raising his fist to pummel you face against the asphalt.

you are in position to pin an arm and go for an arm bar, or even triangle.

what do you do?

you're not gonna die, just get punched alot.

do you go for the arm bar or the choke? if so...how far do you take it?

or do you just take the hits, let him get up and walk away calling you a *****...and then tell you wife "i could have taken him...i just didn't want to get in trouble" while you hold your nose and pride together.

(no, didn't happen to me.....just a scenario I like to give to people to see how they would play it out)

you walk out of a movie with your wife at night into the parking lot.

some punk and his buddy who thought you looked at him funny inside' date=' bum-rushes you out of nowhere and has on your back, raising his fist to pummel you face against the asphalt.

you are in position to pin and arm and go for an arm bar, or even triangle.

what do you do?

you're not gonna die, just get punched alot.

do you go for the arm bar or the choke? if so...how far do you take it?

or do you just take the hits, let him get up and walk away calling you a *****...and then tell you wife "i could have taken him...i just didn't want to get i trouble" while you hold your nose together.

(no, didn't happen to me.....just a scenario I like to give to people to see how they would play it out)[/quote']

Since he has no weapon and is in position, in this situation I would use the Triangle choke (blood choke). As I said above, my life is not in immediate danger so I just end the fight as fast as I can with as little damage done as possible to either of us. If he had a weapon it changes to the armbar and a possible break, depending on the weapon. If is a knife he gets a hyper-extended elbow, a gun and he would not be using his arm anymore after this night!

Since he has no weapon and is in position' date=' in this situation I would use the Triangle choke (blood choke). As I said above, my life is not in immediate danger so I just end the fight as fast as I can with as little damage done as possible to either of us. If he had a weapon it changes to the armbar and a possible break, depending on the weapon. If is a knife he gets a hyper-extended elbow, a gun and he would not be using his arm anymore after this night![/quote']

interesting....except I'm wondering why you think a choke (blood choke) is so much safer than breaking an arm.

you can kill someone by choking them out....there is no ref there to really watch for his arm to go limp, etc.

you will not be a great judge when your adrenaline is flying, you brain is on fire, and your squeezing with everything you have, blood rushing through your ears like a bass drum. you just squeeze until you feel him go limp..whenever that is...and you have no idea how "under" he is.

it's not a dojo and you're alone, you will not be in a position to easily tell when he is JUST about passed out and you can let him go so he keeps breathing and comes to in a moment.

it would be VERY easy to go too far and put him out for good.

everyone is different...every body reacts differently....people may have existing medical conditions, etc.

you could choke him out for just a few seconds, but just a few seconds too long....and he doesn't wake up.

again...just making conversation...

me, personally...i arm bar if possible and go for hyper-extension.....

or brace and buck him off to get top control (except his friend probably won't just sit there watching)

a gun and he would not be using his arm anymore after this night!

if he has a gun and is gonna use it...he's not gonna bum rush and tackle you.

he's gonna pull it out and shoot you. there is no brazilian JJ defense for that.

interesting....except I'm wondering why you think a choke (blood choke) is so much safer than breaking an arm.

you can kill someone by choking them out....there is no ref there to really watch for his arm to limp.

you will not a great judge when your adrenaline is flying' date=' you brain is on fire, and your squeezing with everything you have, blood rushing through your ears like a bass drum.

it's not a dojo and you're alone, you will not be in a position to easily tell when he is JUST about passed out and you can let him go so he keep breathing and comes to in a moment.

it would be VERY easy to go too far and put him out for good.

everyone is different...every body reacts differently....people may have existing medical conditions, etc.

you could choke him out for just a few seconds, but just a few seconds too long....and he doesn't wake up.

again...just making conversation...[/quote']

You can feel when someone goes out becasue they let the air out of their lungs and go limp. Also he was in triangle so I can see him go out. Your right, you can kill someone with a choke, but if you know what your doing its much safer than the armbar. At least with the choke he's out long enough to get away. With a joint lock your going to have to hyperextend or break to end it or as soon as you let him go he'll just come after you again right? And if you break and arm without being able to show a iminate threat of harm, you'll be the one in jail!!

At least with the choke he's out long enough to get away. With a joint lock your going to have to hyperextend or break to end it or as soon as you let him go he'll just come after you again right?
right..you have to do damage.

And if you break and arm without being able to show a iminate threat of harm' date=' you'll be the one in jail!![/quote'] eh....if you have your wife there to say that he was on top of you and trying to punch you in the face....you could hyperextend or break that arm to defend yourself. punches to the face are not usually fatal...but they could be if your head smacks the pavement.

you have a witness (at least one) who could say you were in harm's way. hurting a joint is serious stuff...but not fatal.

and justified if you are being attacked and under threat of serious harm.

now if you choked someone out....you'd probably have prove you were under threat of death...as that is considered a lethal maneuver.

even if the guy came to fine.....he probably could sue you for a lot more than if you just screwed his elbow up.

"i was mad and pushed him....and then he grabbed me and tried to kill me! he choked me until i was unconscious, your honor!"

right..you have to do damage.

eh....if you have your wife there to say that he was on top of you and trying to punch you in the face....you could hyperextend or break that arm to defend yourself. punches to the face are not usually fatal...but they could be if your head smacks the pavement.

you have a witness (at least one) who could say you were in harm's way. hurting a joint is serious stuff...but not fatal.

and justified if you are being attacked and under threat of serious harm.

now if you choked someone out....you'd probably have prove you were under threat of death...as that is considered a lethal maneuver.

even if the guy came to fine.....he probably could sue you for a lot more than if you just screwed his elbow up.

"i was mad and pushed him....and then he grabbed me and tried to kill me! he choked me until i was unconscious' date=' your honor!"[/quote']

You have witnesses though! :)

Lol well as for me i've been in plenty of fights ...it was always other stupid @$$3$ that started trying to fight me & i never lost though done some bad things to people....most people don't expect you to bust out with some professional stuff when you fight so before they know they are on the ground lol.:cool:

If they bum rushed me id pull the attacker to the floor turn him over punch them in the nose a few times, until they say sorry then i would stamp their head into the ground just to teach them a lesson, if their buddy tried anything he wouldn't have any teeth left :)

I have broken a persons arm before, but I have never went to jail. I have also choked a guy nearly out before, and again, never went to jail.

It just depends on who the attacker is and for what reason.

I didnt break the arm all the way, just partially damaged it to the point where he needed to see a doctor and get an X ray. We are still good friends though.

I have broken a persons arm before' date=' but I have never went to jail. I have also choked a guy nearly out before, and again, never went to jail.

It just depends on who the attacker is and for what reason.

I didnt break the arm all the way, just partially damaged it to the point where he needed to see a doctor and get an X ray. We are still good friends though.[/quote']

Lol d@mn...did the five oh come?

i tend to break arms... its just me... its how i fight, and was tought to fight... and honestly whats someone gonna remember longer... beign in a cast for a few months or being put to sleep for a few minutes then waking up unhurt

Nope... he was drunk and being overly aggressive while I was rolling a Joint. So he tried to jump on my back... He then tried to bear hug me from behind so I just rotated his arm around and basically armbarred the hell out of him. I was just going to make him tap, but he was pulling really hard with his arm, so I pulled back...

Then a very loud crack echoed through the room. He rolled in pain, I was like "damn you alright?" and then he couldnt really lift his arm. He started it, I finished it.

I also dont smoke weed anymore LOL.

Nope... he was drunk and being overly aggressive while I was rolling a Joint. So he tried to jump on my back... He then tried to bear hug me from behind so I just rotated his arm around and basically armbarred the hell out of him. I was just going to make him tap' date=' but he was pulling really hard with his arm, so I pulled back...

Then a very loud crack echoed through the room. He rolled in pain, I was like "damn you alright?" and then he couldnt really lift his arm. He started it, I finished it.

I also dont smoke weed anymore LOL.[/quote']

Ouch i bet he would not try that again

Lol i remember once while i was still in Ga this girl came at me with a knife & i obviously was not going to be stabbed so i did what i had to...Messed up part was i ended being the one who was in jail.

Some guy broke my nose one night in a sucker punch while i was walking out of a waffle house. I was trying to get away from him but he kept hitting me. I gave my friend my handgun while i was running and then turned to face him. I quickly put him in an armbar and broke his arm.

Even though i could barely breathe from the punch he gave me and i had been trying to run from this big black bastard for a half block, i was detained by the housestaff because this guy was shreiking in pain and the mood was that i was somehow the bad guy.

Things got worse when the cops came because i had a handgun and this guys arm was broken and everyone seemed to be saying that i hurt him bad but nothing about what he did to me. It wasnt until i showed my concealed weapons license and my Military ID that they let me go. That and the guy had a bench warrant for grand theft...

I absolutly avoid any fighting now and will only fight a guy if i am cornered. I also avoid waffle houses....

Some guy broke my nose one night in a sucker punch while i was walking out of a waffle house. I was trying to get away from him but he kept hitting me. I gave my friend my handgun while i was running and then turned to face him. I quickly put him in an armbar and broke his arm.

Even though i could barely breathe from the punch he gave me and i had been trying to run from this big black bastard for a half block' date=' i was detained by the housestaff because this guy was shreiking in pain and the mood was that i was somehow the bad guy.

Things got worse when the cops came because i had a handgun and this guys arm was broken and everyone seemed to be saying that i hurt him bad but nothing about what he did to me. It wasnt until i showed my concealed weapons license and my Military ID that they let me go. That and the guy had a bench warrant for grand theft...

I absolutly avoid any fighting now and will only fight a guy if i am cornered. I also avoid waffle houses....[/quote']

Right thats what i was like too man & they were not trying to hear anything from me i was like:mad: Good thing you did not use your gun because there is no honor in that. A lesser person might have shot him.

then i would stamp their head into the ground just to teach them a lesson' date=' [/quote']

that's when you go to jail.

never hit after they are down.

honestly whats someone gonna remember longer... beign in a cast for a few months or being put to sleep for a few minutes then waking up unhurt

plus, that cast becomes a walking billboard for you....so people know to leave you the hell alone.

which is what any sane person wants.

just leave me alone.

13 seconds in a properly applied blood choke will kill the person when released. The blood builds up pressure in the arteries then explodes into the cranium causing all blood vessels to explode. It's a technique taught in the military.

13 seconds in a properly applied blood choke will kill the person when released. The blood builds up pressure in the arteries then explodes into the cranium causing all blood vessels to explode. It's a technique taught in the military.

I'm a practitioner of BJJ for almost 10 years now. I've choke people in tourneys. I have a very solid understanding of blood chokes and how long to apply them! I know when they're out because I've done it and I can tell by their body movement. As I said its not something a rookie should do, but I'm not. To me, its easier to choke them and get away than do permanent damage by maiming them with an armbar....

And 5-6 seconds in a properly aplied blood choke is enough to cause unconsciousness which is all I need to get away. I wouldn't hold any longer than needed

I'm a practitioner of BJJ for almost 10 years now. I've choke people in tourneys. I have a very solid understanding of blood chokes and how long to apply them! I know when they're out because I've done it and I can tell by their body movement. As I said its not something a rookie should do' date=' but I'm not. To me, its easier to choke them and get away than do permanent damage by maiming them with an armbar....

And 5-6 seconds in a properly aplied blood choke is enough to cause unconsciousness which is all I need to get away. I wouldn't hold any longer than needed[/quote']

I wasn't saying that you would. I was just commenting.

The question is not how far do you go. The question is do you possess the constitution to take it as far as is needed.

Or when the church or a evil head of state tortures YOU like machiaveli...Anyways Jujitswho is right a exit is allways easy 2 find.Unless you feal your life is in danger do not cripple or give another brain damage by choke.If you use MMA in a school fight or any fight in public you will get time 9 out of 10 times...Plus sued get your mind RIGHT!

I wasn't saying that you would. I was just commenting.

The question is not how far do you go. The question is do you possess the constitution to take it as far as is needed.

And what you said is spot on! If you don't know what your doing you can and more than likely WILL kill someone. I'm helping my sensi train my little brother now so I've been drilling this fact in his head!! If he were to use them at this level, he is going to hurt someone very bad. That is why in BJJ they wait until your a certian level before starting to get into chokes

BTW, I don't want yo uto think I was going off on ya because I wasn't. I was just answering the question that was asked. :)

Right thats what i was like too man & they were not trying to hear anything from me i was like:mad: Good thing you did not use your gun because there is no honor in that. A lesser person might have shot him.

I was running from him because i was afriad he might find my gun and use it against me, i am not familiar with concealed weapons laws for an attacker trying to take your own weapon and that was made me keep running until i was able to pass it off and deal with this guy.

The whole situation pussified me in a new way, now i avoid conflict the second i feel its rising.Now, I cant stand when a friend gets drunk and asks me if i got his back.... lol.

And what you said is spot on! If you don't know what your doing you can and more than likely WILL kill someone. I'm helping my sensi train my little brother now so I've been drilling this fact in his head!! If he were to use them at this level' date=' he is going to hurt someone very bad. That is why in BJJ they wait until your a certian level before starting to get into chokes

BTW, I don't want yo uto think I was going off on ya because I wasn't. I was just answering the question that was asked. :)[/quote']

It kills me the amount of people think that when you are trained to fight, all you want to do is fight. They don't realize that it is very easy to seriously hurt someone who isn't trained. I really should be stopping cars right now, i'm going to get fired.

It kills me the amount of people think that when you are trained to fight' date=' all you want to do is fight. They don't realize that it is very easy to seriously hurt someone who isn't trained. I really should be stopping cars right now, i'm going to get fired.[/quote']

And also very easy to get hurt by someone who hasn't had enough or the right training

I totally agree with ya

Don't get fired BTW. I'm at work right now too LOL

As 3 of my friends have each been sentenced for murder in all seperate instances , the 1st was a street fight were my m8 was fighting dropped the other fellar who i also knew , and he jumper all over his head and face till he was unrecognisable , no one was there to stop it as they were walking home from a party together , he had recently come back from Bosnia and was suffering post traumatic stress etc and just lost it , he got 5 yrs bird and did about 3 ish then was pensioned off by the army .

The 2nd was a gang of my m8s being arseholes comming outside a party , a neighbour came out with a broom and told them were to go , unfortunatley the broom was taken from him and buried in his head , my m8 who done it was very young at the time , but there is no excuse as the man had a wife and kids , and no one deserves that imho , again he only got 7 yrs and done about 4 yrs .

The 3rd happened when a load of my m8s went on holiday to Faliraki [ Greece ] and on the very 1st night it went off in a club / bar , and one of my m8s went to throw a bottle as they were being thrown everywhere as fights broke out , as he did unfortunatley it hit a pillar in the club while still in his hand and smashed and before it left his hans it had took out the whole throat of another lad who he was fighting and he died within minutes as it hit his main artery in his neck , thats the version i heard anyway , he got 10yrs and only got out just recently , this was a well publicised case that made world news .

Only 2 weeks ago a m8 of mine was dropped and had his head jumped on with so much force his whole eye sockets and jaw and cheek bones collapsed inwards and even his soft palate was broke straigh down the middle , the lad is now up for attempted murder .

So i consider myself very lucky to have been no where near these instances when they took place , as the 1st one i was out with him and stayed at his place after a night out only a week prior . I dont know what i would do as all circumstances are different but i.e mess with my wife , kids or mother / family etc , i would be prepared to die as well as kill , so i guess thats my answer !

As 3 of my friends have each been sentenced for murder in all seperate instances ' date=' the 1st was a street fight were my m8 was fighting dropped the other fellar who i also knew , and he jumper all over his head and face till he was unrecognisable , no one was there to stop it as they were walking home from a party together , he had recently come back from Bosnia and was suffering post traumatic stress etc and just lost it , he got 5 yrs bird and did about 3 ish then was pensioned off by the army .

The 2nd was a gang of my m8s being arseholes comming outside a party , a neighbour came out with a broom and told them were to go , unfortunatley the broom was taken from him and buried in his head , my m8 who done it was very young at the time , but there is no excuse as the man had a wife and kids , and no one deserves that imho , again he only got 7 yrs and done about 4 yrs .

The 3rd happened when a load of my m8s went on holiday to Faliraki [ Greece '] and on the very 1st night it went off in a club / bar , and one of my m8s went to throw a bottle as they were being thrown everywhere as fights broke out , as he did unfortunatley it hit a pillar in the club while still in his hand and smashed and before it left his hans it had took out the whole throat of another lad who he was fighting and he died within minutes as it hit his main artery in his neck , thats the version i heard anyway , he got 10yrs and only got out just recently , this was a well publicised case that made world news .

Only 2 weeks ago a m8 of mine was dropped and had his head jumped on with so much force his whole eye sockets and jaw and cheek bones collapsed inwards and even his soft palate was broke straigh down the middle , the lad is now up for attempted murder .

So i consider myself very lucky to have been no where near these instances when they took place , as the 1st one i was out with him and stayed at his place after a night out only a week prior . I dont know what i would do as all circumstances are different but i.e mess with my wife , kids or mother / family etc , i would be prepared to die as well as kill , so i guess thats my answer !

Sounds like you need some new friends.

Sounds like you need some new friends.

Lmao , i am 34 had 3 kids by the age of 20 and was married at 21 in St . Lucia , am still with the same girl / lady , and am very happy i straightened myself out early on or who knows , i got scrubs at 15 for GBH something that i am still ashamed of now , but hey ** , you live and learn is a true saying .

I was running from him because i was afriad he might find my gun and use it against me' date=' i am not familiar with concealed weapons laws for an attacker trying to take your own weapon and that was made me keep running until i was able to pass it off and deal with this guy.

The whole situation pussified me in a new way, now i avoid conflict the second i feel its rising.Now, I cant stand when a friend gets drunk and asks me if i got his back.... lol.[/quote']

Yea i totally understand you doing that. Jail is no fun and it isnt "cool" to go there.

True, you shouldn't hit someone if they're down and not getting up. But I think it's ridicuous to think that you shouldn't hurt someone because it's just a fight and you'll just get puched a few times. If you don't know that person, you don't know what they're capable of, like the guy who stomped the other guys head to pieces after he was down. And one lucky puch to the temple could kill you, not likely but it happens every year. If someone attacks me, all bets are off, I have no concern as to whether he can use his arm for the rest of his life, that's his fault! I'll do whatever comes easiest to stop him! I don't really care if he dies other than our F**#ed up court system doesn't seem to recoginize self defense anymore.

Cool lol the only reason i had to go was because i let my anger get the best of me & it won't happen again.

Ditto , i would like to think i could walk away aswell , but only last year i didnt and could of ended up in a whole lot of trouble , but luckly enough never .

True' date=' you shouldn't hit someone if they're down and not getting up. But I think it's ridicuous to think that you shouldn't hurt someone because it's just a fight and you'll just get puched a few times. If you don't know that person, you don't know what they're capable of, like the guy who stomped the other guys head to pieces after he was down. And one lucky puch to the temple could kill you, not likely but it happens every year. If someone attacks me, all bets are off, I have no concern as to whether he can use his arm for the rest of his life, that's his fault! I'll do whatever comes easiest to stop him! I don't really care if he dies other than our F**#ed up court system doesn't seem to recoginize self defense anymore.[/quote']

The system does recognize it. The thing people don't realize is, once you have a chance to get away and don't, you become an aggressor. The primary aggressor will go to jail, if you had the chance to flee and didn't, you become a co-aggressor of sorts. Do your damage while "trying to get away" then be the one who calls the cops. 99% will let you go on the scene and the others will look stupid in court.

Oh how come you didnt?

I was steaming drunk and was with my son who is 18 and just been to watch a footy match and had 2 men barge into both of us and then start mouthing off etc , i tried walking on but only got about 30yrds and then handed my lad my phone and wallet and walked to confront them both and one walked towards me and that was it he ended up on his **** in the middle of the road and i was highly embarrassed and still am as although my son was impressed it was a bad example to set and it could of ended alot differently i.e stabbed , shot , etc , either them or us ! Wrong decision i took and would like to think i could keep walking instead now .

I was steaming drunk and was with my son who is 18 and just been to watch a footy match and had 2 men barge into both of us and then start mouthing off etc ' date=' i tried walking on but only got about 30yrds and then handed my lad my phone and wallet and walked to confront them both and one walked towards me and that was it he ended up on his **** in the middle of the road and i was highly embarrassed and still am as although my son was impressed it was a bad example to set and it could of ended alot differently i.e stabbed , shot , etc , either them or us ! Wrong decision i took and would like to think i could keep walking instead now .[/quote']

Oh lol well you got to do what you got to do...