Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Burgundy

The Benefits of Free Enterprise in Pro Sports

And why we should support the EliteXC's of the world...

United Football League: The Spirit of American Free Enterprise

Ron Bodine Thursday, 2nd of July 2009 at 10:19:41 PM

America has mastered free enterprise like no other civilization to date. The tradition of economic freedom in America has yielded a sense of competitiveness and economic success unparalleled in the world. The American sports industry is certainly no exception to the competitiveness of the American free market, which has given way to some of the best sports products the world has to offer.

The National Football League (NFL) is widely accepted as the authority in gridiron football worldwide. However, even the NFL has a long history of competition that has forced the league to rise to the occasion at various points in its development. Throughout parts of the 1920’s and 1930’s, the NFL remained an unstable venture and struggled to establish itself as a major sports league. In fact, only five of the NFL's orginal franchises remained by the close of the 1926 season.

[more]...

http://uflaccess.com/ufl/united-football-league-the-spirit-of-american-free-enterprise/

And why we should support the EliteXC's of the world...

United Football League: The Spirit of American Free Enterprise

Ron Bodine Thursday' date=' 2nd of July 2009 at 10:19:41 PM[/i']

America has mastered free enterprise like no other civilization to date. The tradition of economic freedom in America has yielded a sense of competitiveness and economic success unparalleled in the world. The American sports industry is certainly no exception to the competitiveness of the American free market, which has given way to some of the best sports products the world has to offer.

The National Football League (NFL) is widely accepted as the authority in gridiron football worldwide. However, even the NFL has a long history of competition that has forced the league to rise to the occasion at various points in its development. Throughout parts of the 1920?s and 1930?s, the NFL remained an unstable venture and struggled to establish itself as a major sports league. In fact, seven of the NFL?s original eleven teams folded by the close of the inaugural 1920 season.

[more]...

http://uflaccess.com/ufl/united-football-league-the-spirit-of-american-free-enterprise/

Isn't that the name of the ship on star wars or track or something?

EliteXC wasn't the example I would have used. Terrible organization and I was glad to see that one fail.

I don't think so because even though EliteXC made some critical errors (including investing all of its stock in a paper street fighter), it secured a tv deal with CBS and had the potential to grow into something much better. Had the league made better decisions, it could still have been around today.

I don't think so because even though EliteXC made some critical errors (including investing all of its stock in a paper street fighter)' date=' it secured a tv deal with CBS and had the potential to grow into something much better. Had the league made better decisions, it could still have been around today.[/quote']

They did have the potential... but they squandered it with a terrible management team. The only real victims here were the fighters involved because they had to find a new organization to fight in.

The only thing good that EXC did was land the CBS deal... thats about it.

To be honest with you, the CBS deal may not have even been the best thing for them. There's better money to be made in PPVs. EliteXC simply did not have the credibility to bring in enough money to secure a future with CBS.

The first show EXC did went over its time limit. They had Kimbo go up against an obvious "tomato can" in James Thompson. That guy had the most disgusting cauliflower ear I have ever seen. It ended exactly as I thought it would, with Kimbo punching it and it exploding all over the place. Now I ask you, honestly, was that a legitimate fight or a freakshow?

They did have the potential... but they squandered it with a terrible management team. The only real victims here were the fighters involved because they had to find a new organization to fight in

The only thing good that EXC did was land the CBS deal... thats about it.

I agree that management was poor' date=' but the concept of a competitor who can bring in the best secondary talent available (Arlovski, Ortiz, Lawler, etc.) is a good thing for helping the sport evolve.

To be honest with you, the CBS deal may not have even been the best thing for them.

Only because ratings expectations are so high on the networks. EliteXC put the "cart before the horse." It would have been a much smarter move for EliteXC to have a reality show on CBS much like the Ultimate Fighter. The league would have been able to recruit young, prospective fighters and people probably would have watched.

There's better money to be made in PPVs

More so for leagues that have the marketability to draw in revenue. PPVs haven't worked very well for Affliction even though that league has decent fighters.

The first show EXC did went over its time limit. They had Kimbo go up against an obvious "tomato can" in James Thompson. That guy had the most disgusting cauliflower ear I have ever seen. It ended exactly as I thought it would, with Kimbo punching it and it exploding all over the place. Now I ask you, honestly, was that a legitimate fight or a freakshow?

You have to start somewhere and grow. Management was the real problem as you pointed out. A well-managed alternative MMA league should be supported by fans who want the sport to evolve. No matter how crappy EliteXC was, I watched it because I wanted MMA on a network like CBS to be proven viable.

Economics? Is that like eco-friendly "green" crap?

No. People who are major proponents of Capitalism, the free market, etc. are usually not extreme "eco-friendly." Get your conservative and liberal positions in order. :)

I agree that management was poor' date=' but the concept of a competitor who can bring in the best secondary talent available (Arlovski, Ortiz, Lawler, etc.) is a good thing for helping the sport evolve.

Only because ratings expectations are so high on the networks. They put the "cart before the horse." It would have been a much smarter move for EliteXC to have a reality show on CBS much like the Ultimate Fighter. The league would have been able to recruit young, prospective fighters and people probably would have watched.

More so for leagues that have the marketability to draw in revenue. PPVs haven't worked very well for Affliction even though that league has decent fighters.

You have to start somewhere and grow. Management was the real problem as you pointed out. A well-managed alternative MMA league should be supported by fans who want the sport to evolve. No matter how crappy EliteXC was, I watched it because I wanted MMA on a network like CBS to be proven viable.[/quote']

There is nothing wrong with other MMA orgs being in existence. I'm all for it. Dana White has publicly stated that he doesn't mind other orgs being in business. I think on your part EXC was a bad choice to use as an example as that organization was virtually loathed by everyone.