Sign in to follow this  
SteveUFC

Fedor Emelianenko = over-rated?

I was just wondering what people's opinion on Fedor is these days... There's no doubting he was the best HW during Pride, but now?

Since Pride folded, his last four fights have been:

- a submission win over middleweight Matt Lindland

- a submission win over Hong-Man Choi (who was considered more of a novelty and had only had 1 MMA fight)

- that quick win over Tim Sylvia (who was 1-2 in his last 3 fights - and was subsequently KO'd in 9 seconds by 48 year-old Ray Mercer)

- a KO win over Andrei Arlovski (who was pretty much dominating the fight before going for that ridiculous flying knee)

I'm not a Fedor hater (the guy is awesome)... I just think some people over-rate him a bit - I can't really understand how people can say he is definitely the best HW in the world, when he's never fought in the UFC or a cage... who knows how he would do or how it might affect him? (eg. just look at Cro-Cop and Shogun who have looked very ordinary since coming from Pride).

I'm hoping after this next Affliction show, the UFC will finally be able to sign him so some of these questions can be answered... If he never got to fight in the UFC, it would be a great shame - Fedor Vs the likes of Lesnar/Couture/Mir etc. would be huge.

idkkk bout that fedor is a hell of a fighter!

30-1-1 is a preatty impressive record

i agree his lastfights have been jokes

but theres a reason he has so much hype..!

i want to see him in a war now quick finishes dont say much at all. watching old fights can help but i want a current fight to go atleast into the second or third round then ill make my opinion on him

Until somebody steps up to the plate and beats him,he will remain the best in the world.He fights with no fear and his record shows it.And Dana will get him to the UFC and then you will see some great fights,bank on it.

I mean sure, i understand your point of view, i dont think Fedor is wow great, but he is still good. He is humble as a person it seems and a good champion. You are telling that he needs to face ufc fighters, sure. But Couture?? hes to old, i mean Brock is 3-1 so right now he is nobody, in my opinion. Frank Mir beat Nougera? and the lucky leglock, so he isnt top notch eather, hes a bit slow and bad conditioning.

I rather see Fedor vs Shane Carwin, or Cain, Congo wouldnt last long cos of his ground game. but if Brock wins Frank Mir, then maybe, Fedor , Brock would be a good fight :D

MY opinion. But to be honest, i really dont see any good HW at all, in any organisation. There is no Anderson Silva calliber HW.

In all honesty when I first watched this sport and heard of fedor I wasn't that impressed as he has no charisma and doesn't stand out much. But after watching most of his fights and that 1 hour documentary on him, I believe he his the best heavyweight in mma by quite some distance. Apart from the fact he has an all round game which is pretty flawless, he is amazingly calm and doesn't seem to show any emotion when he fights. His record speaks for it's self, no one has really beaten him and he manages every time to get a W. It would be interesting to see him in the ufc one day and see how he reacts to fighting in the octagon. The ufc has a few heavyweights who would pose him problems but would they get the job done? Fedor always seem's to find a way of winning and I can't see that changing yet. Barnett will be a tough test for him but I expect a Fedor win as usual. He is also probably the P4P best too, altho I believe GSP runs him close for this. Anyone agree?:D

I was just wondering what people's opinion on Fedor is these days... There's no doubting he was the best HW during Pride' date=' but now?

Since Pride folded, his last four fights have been:

- a submission win over [i']middleweight[/i] Matt Lindland

- a submission win over Hong-Man Choi (who was considered more of a novelty and had only had 1 MMA fight)

- that quick win over Tim Sylvia (who was 1-2 in his last 3 fights - and was subsequently KO'd in 9 seconds by 48 year-old Ray Mercer)

- a KO win over Andrei Arlovski (who was pretty much dominating the fight before going for that ridiculous flying knee)

I'm not a Fedor hater (the guy is awesome)... I just think some people over-rate him a bit - I can't really understand how people can say he is definitely the best HW in the world, when he's never fought in the UFC or a cage... who knows how he would do or how it might affect him? (eg. just look at Cro-Cop and Shogun who have looked very ordinary since coming from Pride).

I'm hoping after this next Affliction show, the UFC will finally be able to sign him so some of these questions can be answered... If he never got to fight in the UFC, it would be a great shame - Fedor Vs the likes of Lesnar/Couture/Mir etc. would be huge.

I think you made a lot of really good points. Fedor in Pride was completely dominant, and until he starts to lose you still have to give that to him, but he hasn't fought top HW talent since he left (except maybe Arlovski). I really hope that Dana can rope him into the UFC soon so he can answer some of these questions himself in the octagon.

How can you overrate a fighter who is undefeated (that loss over TK is BS and everyone knows it). Fedor holds wins over the whos-whos of the heavyweight division. Its not difficult to say he's the best in the division

Fedor by no means is over rated, I'd love to see him fight in the UFC one day if possible but I doubt it will happen.

Still 30-1-1 is better than everyone else

I dont think he's overrated by any means. but his recent fights have done nothing for his stock. the barnett fight will be huge. just huge. both guys are amazing. and i think theres 6 or 7 heavyweights the ufc needs to get out the checkbook and sign away from the other organizations.

ya you know what, Tim Silvia and AA are tough dudes, but don't get it twisted, they are former UFC guys yanno, kind of out of their prime.

He deserves to be fighting with the top heavy weight guys in the world, whether or not he IS the best, only time will tell for the UFC world...

How can you overrate a fighter who is undefeated (that loss over TK is BS and everyone knows it). Fedor holds wins over the whos-whos of the heavyweight division. Its not difficult to say he's the best in the division

I don't know if he is overrated because his who's who list is smaller the his who's hasn't list.

Who he beat in HW division in descending order of "greatness" at the time of the fights:

Nogueri

Mirko

Arlovski

Coleman

Sylvia

Herring

Hunt

HW's that he hasn't fought that will tell if he is infact overrated :

Barnett

Lesnar

Mir

Couture

Overeem

Carwin

Velasquez

dos Santos

Verdum

Buentello

Rodgers

Kongo

I probably forgot a few good heavies, but the list he hasn't fought is much larger than who he has.

I don't know if he is overrated because his who's who list is smaller the his who's hasn't list.

Who he beat in HW division in descending order of "greatness" at the time of the fights:

Nogueri

Mirko

Arlovski

Coleman

Sylvia

Herring

Hunt

Barnett

Lesnar

Mir

Couture

Overeem

Carwin

Velasquez

dos Santos

Verdum

Buentello

Rodgers

Kongo

I probably forgot a few good heavies' date=' but the list he hasn't fought is much larger than who he has.[/quote']

I disagree... I think the following could test it...

Barnett

Lesnar

Overeem

Carwin

Velasquez

and that is about it..

The following would be pointless match ups and bad stylewise match ups for Fedor.

Couture

Mir

Dos Santos

Werdum

Buentello

Rogers

Kongo

My list was not stylistic matchups but a list of top HW he has not fought as opposed to who he has fought. Fedor has really only beat 2 great heavyweights in Nogueria and Mirko. So I wouldn't say he has beat a who's who of heavyweights. I'm not saying he is not the best there is either. I just don't know if he is or isn't overrated.

I agree with your list except for Mir and .......**** drumroll.....Couture

Nogueri

Mirko

Arlovski

Coleman

Sylvia

Herring

Hunt

Barnett

Lesnar

Mir

Couture

Overeem

Carwin

Velasquez

dos Santos

Verdum

Buentello

Rodgers

Kongo

I probably forgot a few good heavies' date=' but the list he hasn't fought is much larger than who he has.[/quote']

So its Fedor's fault that those guys never fought in the Pride/Dream/Affliction HW division? Not to mention he's fighting Barnett soon.

Now find a heavyweight in your list that's better then Fedor

So its Fedor's fault that those guys never fought in the Pride/Dream/Affliction HW division? Not to mention he's fighting Barnett soon.

Now find a heavyweight in your list that's better then Fedor

No, it's not his fault, but as you can see he has not beat a who's who of heavyweights. I agree, he is great, but I would like to see him fight some of the new blood at HW, wouldn't you? I just hope he comes to the UFC...sooner than later.

I don't know if they are better but the guys Iwish listed as testers could have a chance...no?

If Fedor beats Barnett he's really cleaned out the best talent outside the UFC. I hope that Dana manages to sign him after that fight. Then all these what-ifs can get put to rest.

I think his fight organisation wants too much money and this and the other tho..he would proberbly have to leave his current orgnisation to fight in the ufc. We know other fighting organisations have gone bust from meeting fighters unrealistic demands, in the ufc they start it out reasnable and as you do better so does your pay.

I'm still laughing inside that kimbo got $500 000 odd for getting knocked out by seth's little jab.

I think his fight organisation wants too much money and this and the other tho..he would proberbly have to leave his current orgnisation to fight in the ufc. We know other fighting organisations have gone bust from meeting fighters unrealistic demands' date=' in the ufc they start it out reasnable and as you do better so does your pay.

I'm still laughing inside that kimbo got $500 000 odd for getting knocked out by seth's little jab.[/quote']

I guess you know nothing about Lesnar.