Sign in to follow this  
Thechemicals

Getting Knocked out

Think its a psychological thing. Dont think youd get KOd any easier but you will always be aware that you are human and it can be done.

Got knocked out by a doorman once. Great punch. I got up realised what had happened tried to hit him, got knocked out again. Third time my mates carried me away before he did it again.

Was no different. Same sore head as being knocked out once, but because of the beer i had no natural inhibitions. Normally I would have been more aware and protective, but i think he would have done it anyway.

Dont try and fight 20st steroid munching doormen any more, but dont think it makes me any less resilient. I still had a great record in the ring at Muay Thai, and never got knocked out. If I had to fight guys like that everytime i fought i would be more suseptible due to doubt.

... i would be more suseptible due to doubt.

Though after being knocked out, would you think in your head that it's not as bad as everyone thinks, and just go all out, yet still be defensive and not care?

MTBI has a mortality rate of almost zero.[48] The symptoms of most concussions resolve within weeks, but problems may persist.[6] It is not common for problems to be permanent, and outcome is usually excellent.[23] People over age 55 may take longer to heal from MTBI or may heal incompletely.[63] Similarly, factors such as a previous head injury or a coexisting medical condition have been found to predict longer-lasting post-concussion symptoms.[46] Other factors that may lengthen recovery time after MTBI include psychological problems such as substance abuse or clinical depression, poor health before the injury or additional injuries sustained during it, and life stress.[23] Longer periods of amnesia or loss of consciousness immediately after the injury may indicate longer recovery times from residual symptoms.[64] For unknown reasons, having had one concussion significantly increases a person's risk of having another.[49] Having previously sustained a sports concussion has been found to be a strong factor increasing the likelihood of a concussion in the future. Other strong factors include participation in a contact sport and body mass size.[65] The prognosis may differ between concussed adults and children; little research has been done on concussion in the pediatric population, but concern exists that severe concussions could interfere with brain development in children.[49]

A 2009 study published in Brain found that individuals with a history of concussions might demonstrate a decline in both physical and mental performance for longer than 30 years. Compared to their peers with no history of brain trauma, victims of concussion exhibited the following effects[66]

a decrease in episodic memory

a decrease in response inhibition

delayed P3a/P3b waves

an increase in the cortical silence period

and there is your definitive answer. wikipedia rocks

Wikipedia should be everyone's friend.

Curious though as to why you wanted this question answered?

Agree with Muay_UK that "the fear" is a big reason for why fighters go down easier subsequent times.

I would say it's psychological, i've never been knocked out but i got bitten pretty badly once during a fight and i'm very concious when fighting if i feel the person is in a position where they could bite me.

I would say it's psychological' date=' i've never been knocked out but i got bitten pretty badly once during a fight and i'm very concious when fighting if i feel the person is in a position where they could bite me.[/quote']

Are you Evander in disguise......

haha, I was out with my girlfriend and walked into the middle of some sort of gang fight ended up wrestling with this guy on the floor and got bitten 3 times in the top of my back/shoulder area.

I think its mostly psychological also. I dont see anything about physical deterioration due to being knocked out. The symptoms seem to be tiredness and headaches and problems sleeping but no real scarring or weakening of the linings of the brain or jaw.

What's it like being knocked out? Does everything just go black, or do you see stars, or what? Is it like waking up from anaethesia when you come to?

What's it like being knocked out? Does everything just go black' date=' or do you see stars, or what? Is it like waking up from anaethesia when you come to?[/quote']

Kind of fades out like...yea it is like anaethesia. I mean i have been knocked out before & it is wierd i can't really explain it...

What's it like being knocked out? Does everything just go black' date=' or do you see stars, or what? Is it like waking up from anaethesia when you come to?[/quote']

Its like the first half second when you wakeup in the morning.

I have never been knocked out by a person but i did fall off a tree and hit my head. Was not fun, i was like a vegetable laying their, as my friends put it.

Its like the first half second when you wakeup in the morning.

I have never been knocked out by a person but i did fall off a tree and hit my head. Was not fun' date=' i was like a vegetable laying their, as my friends put it.[/quote']

Ouch lol:eek:

As you get older you loose fluid around the brain. Also you brain shrinks a little thus the older you get the less shock impact on the chin you have. Thats why for example chuck liddell cant laugh off shots he used to. Its an age thing not a permanant damage thing . I've been knocked out twice the first time was a flash ko got right up 15 seconds later didnt know what was goin on ;p the next time i just stood there and came to my senses as the guy stopped hitting me very sureal getting ko'd on your feet. I had fights for like 4 years after and never got ko'ed again so i guess it doesnt do permant damage.

Yea thats like the worst part is when you wake up you are very disoriented:eek:

1 time this guy hit me while i was in his car & broke my nose haha

Damn CJL, what did you do to deserve that!?

JUST KIDDING!!

I haven't been totally knocked out, but I was almost knocked out and it SUCKED! It was one of those days where i was dead tired and not looking forward to going to work, I had my truck door open and I dropped my keys, bent down to pick them up and whacked my head right on the edge of the door. I saw stars, my legs buckled and it hurt so bad that I couldn't even swear. I imagine being knocked out is 10 times worse.

I haven't been totally knocked out' date=' but I was [i']almost[/i] knocked out and it SUCKED! It was one of those days where i was dead tired and not looking forward to going to work, I had my truck door open and I dropped my keys, bent down to pick them up and whacked my head right on the edge of the door. I saw stars, my legs buckled and it hurt so bad that I couldn't even swear. I imagine being knocked out is 10 times worse.

Not really. You don't feel it. Untill later.

Is that what happened to you? :P

I wrestled for 14 years, so I was always teaching guys new to the sport some things. I was trying to teach a kid how to use your hips to drive a guys head to the mat that has overcommitted. Well I weighed 112 lbs, he weighed 171, my head hit the mat and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the bleachers drinking water.

I also got ko'd by a line drive to the wedding tackle when I was 14. I was playing short-stop when I got hit, woke up 2 innings later playing center field. lol

I wrestled for 14 years' date=' so I was always teaching guys new to the sport some things. I was trying to teach a kid how to use your hips to drive a guys head to the mat that has overcommitted. Well I weighed 112 lbs, he weighed 171, my head hit the mat and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the bleachers drinking water.

I also got ko'd by a line drive to the wedding tackle when I was 14. I was playing short-stop when I got hit, woke up 2 innings later playing center field. lol[/quote']

I was just dropped as a baby, but I don't remember the details lol.

Can someone link me to where it says getting knocked out has this effect that you get knocked out easier next time? I have yet to see definative proof of this.

well just look at Wandy's career.. 18 fight win streak... cro cop knocks em out.. then soon after hes got a string of knockouts

I was just dropped as a baby' date=' but I don't remember the details lol.[/quote']

My short term memory is pretty crappy. But that's from all of the shock waves from being blown up a lot. lol

well just look at Wandy's career.. 18 fight win streak... cro cop knocks em out.. then soon after hes got a string of knockouts

We established actual research already on page 1 and 2 but thanks for your sentiment.