Sign in to follow this  
Exodus9mm

Listen up fools - the Fedor saga

First off, let me start by saying I am a huge MMA fan. I've seen every UFC card since its inception. I also followed Pride avidly. What I'm about to say in regards to Dana White and the state of MMA is merely a wakeup call - primarily to the fans.

Dana is an egomaniac who has fooled everyone. Yes, he's does an amazing job of bringing some of the worlds best fighters to our screens. However, he's also created a legion of UFC fanboys who have become blind to the fact that the love of MMA has, and let me bold this, NOTHING, to do with the promotional company. Where did it all go wrong?

I don't watch fights because it is UFC. I don't watch because it is PRIDE, DREAM, Strikeforce, WEC, etc. This means absolutely nothing to me. Just as boxing promotion meant nothing. IT IS ABOUT THE FIGHT. THE FIGHTERS. I want to watch Fedor. I want to watch Penn. I want to watch Dos Santos. I don't watch because it is UFC. Or Strikeforce. Jesus, this whole damn thing is turning into a WWF/WCW remake. And with the addition of former WWE wrestlers, I can't help but wonder if the integrity and sheer spectacle of an MMA fight isn't heading to scripted battles and ridiculous costumes.

This is all stirred up as a result of the recent Fedor saga - M-1 and the co-promotion babble. Who cares if it's co-promoted. Fight events have been co-promoted for decades without anybody giving a s***. Did Don King refuse to arrange fights due to co-promoting? Hell no. Almost all fights are co-promoted. The public doesn't care about Don King, just as they shouldn't, about the UFC.

Let's get real here. You think UFC is going to lose mone by co-promoting a fight with M-1? I read the knobs on here spouting about "UFC doesn't need M-1", blah blah blah. It's a moot point. It means absolutely nothing.

We are the ones who shell out 60 bucks to watch fights and this promotional crap should have no basis on our ability to watch top world competition. It's laughable. What's more laughable is how many people are backing Dana and his mickey mouse stance on this issue. You wanna talk about somebody who has lost his way, read up on Dana White.

I don't care if Brock and Fedor fought in an east Philly gym, with 50 seats. I don't care if it's in Vegas, Japan, or my apartment. I want to pay my money to see the best and I couldn't give a rats **** how it happens. Nor should you.

Somehow, people have been duped into believing that setting two men up to fight in hand-to-hand combat is a tough endeavour.

The only ones getting robbed here are the fans. Plain and simple. All of this crap has come about due to egos and the sake of superiority. There isn't a finer example of beauracratic bulls**** going on right now.

Check that fat bald head of yours Dana. I've shelled thousands to watch fights and will continue to do so regardless of the Fedor bs. But get real man - let M-1 co-promote the fight - it can only bring more money for you, and more publicity to the world regarding the sport.

I sit here and cn't believe what I'm seeing in the world of MMA. It's a f***ing joke and people should be pissed.

Get real Dana. Take a lesson from how boxing has run for nearly a hundred years and let us see the fight we want.

i do agree with the point that i dont care were i see great fights, but saying who cares doesnt remedy it and never will. the reason is a realistic one....money. money dictates everything in this world. why would you expect the ufc to just say "it doesnt matter, lets just co promote and forget about the money thing". as nice as it would be (cause it aint gonna take money from me personally). its not gonna happen.

remember UFC went out of the buisness just as other did, but Fertitta put money into it.

Now ppl want lesser organisations to share with what the UFC has created. yeah right.

what M-1 wants is unrealistic and unfair. Do I get paid by DW to say this? hell no.

Dana is thinking like a chess player, 10 moves ahead down the road. Not just "Do whatever you can to get the fight to happen." Changing a formula that obviously works for one fighter could be the first thread that unravels a sweater. I'd be worried about all the other fighters in my stable that have egos wising up and saying, "Hey, I want to be able to go to other promotions as well, am I not big enough of a star?" Then Dana has to worry about losing all his fighters to other promotions. All empires crumble eventually, and it always starts with one action and reaction.

Thanks. I'm normally reserved online about MMA, hence my first UFC.com post. All this Fedor crap has me pissed off lately and I don't like the way the sport is going. Fedor has and will always be my favourite fighter and I'd like nothing more that to see him come to UFC. I'm not saying Fedor's handlers are any better, but this situation is laughable.

Cheers

the ufc isn't always right. they make plenty of mistakes but as a whole they've taken the direction of the sport to new heights. M1 is nothing. they duped a great fighter into signing with them and they are trying to milk him for whatever they can because they are probably broke because the last two copromotions with affliction didn't make them jack sh*t and the last one was cancelled. I actually think that fedor needs to breach his contract and sign with ufc exclusively and just fight it out with M1 in court. M1 will go broke and not be able to pay lawyers anyways and he'll get out scott free.

You're thinking in the wrong vein. IT"S NOT ABOUT THE PROMOTIONAL COMPANY. Or let me rephrase that. It shouldn't be about the promoters. Why are all you fanboys backing a business mentality instead of the sport itself. It's sickening.

I own a business. Without it,I wouldn't have all that I have. Thats why Im backing it. If all these companies unravel because of bad business decisions, you'll save your thousands of dollars buying the pay per views, because there wont be any.

What's gonna make more money - co-promoting and event, or not having an event at all? If there is a possibility to hold an event to make the largest amount of money ever in the sport, I'd rather share than not get any at all.

All this money/business dialogue just strengthens my hatred of the world and its greed. Call me an idealist, but it never used to be this way. I don't know how many of the posters here are/were boxing fans, but take a page people.

id also like to point out that fedor holds all of this in his hands as well. if he wanted, he could sign today and make the fans happy and prove that he wants to fight the best in the world. but he wont budge either.....money

Co-promoting an event has nothing to do with what you just said. You think if UFC co-promotes 1 event with M-1 Global, they're going under. Were you kicked in the head by a mule?

More ignorance. If it was money, he'd have signed yesterday. Obviously, UFC has the most buying power in the business, so it has nothing to do with Fedor wanting money.

One event turns into 2, then 3, then they get some money of their own and branch back off again and start taking fighters. This is why I don't have business partners, and also why I don't bother with investors. Crush, Kill, Destroy. Whoever ends up with the most toys wins. It sounds a little twisted and vulgar, but that's how it works.

You are correct KarlHungus. I don't believe for a second that co-promoting 1 event with M-1 would financially enable them to recruit the fighters from UFC. UFC has already established themselves as the Nike of MMA. Is Nike worried about Reebok?

This mentality that reality dictates one on top is pure capitalist propoganda. What happened to sharing, where everyone wins? And yet we drop the excuse, "that's the way the world works". To this, I say, do something about it then.

UFC is not to be blamed if for some reason Fedor is announced to not being in the UFC... Dana white is actually being very flexible with Fedor's managers.. even Fedor's brother says the UFC's contracts are not strict at all... but in the end m1 owns Fedor and unfortunately M1 is filled with ****** bags... so if Fedor doesnt join the UFC blame his management

ok, at this point im gonna just write you off as a d-bag and assume your the one posting gay pics on this forum. do you mean to tell me that you think that fedor has no problems with the money issue? his own brother said it was all about his manager wanting more money then the ufc offered so he could grow his own personal biz.

bad analogy. i'm pretty sure nike is worried about reebok and vice versa. just like coke and pepsi. msnbc and fow news. i could go on. I don't think M1 is a threat to the ufc at all but the nike-reebok thing is a bad analogy. they are pretty competitive with each other.

I agree his handlers are not better than Dana and the UFC. What I'm saying is that I don't care if Fedor comes to the UFC to make this fight happen. If he does, fantastic - better UFC in general. If he doesn't big deal. If the only way to get M-1 and their dumb asses to get Fedor to fight Brock is to co-promote, then make it happen! CO-PROMOTE the event to give the fans the best fight in the world.

Everyone is so caught up in taking a side of the promotional companies, when in reality, it should have NOTHING to do with this.

But they've also both been established for 30 years. Both have developed a fan base to the point that the other cannot rips all the fans/buyers of one to their side. Casual analogy, for sure.

I agree but not in full, without knowing exactly what M-1 want we cant sit here saying, Dana's full of ****, M-1's full of ****,

We the fans all want the same thing "Great Fights" and as far as who promotes it, i couldn't care less either. But there is no way if i was worth millions i'd marry a russian bride without a pre nup(probably still wouldn't). Why would i risk all the accomplishments and investments of my lifetime with some dodgy russian bride. What exactly does she bring to the marrage, at what point does she want to move her family into my apartment,NO WAY IS THIS **** HAPPINEN, M-1 have one thing UFC wants Fedor and thier not gonna get half for that ugly *****, no matter how good she is in bed

"I don't care if Brock and Fedor fought in an east Philly gym, with 50 seats. I don't care if it's in Vegas, Japan, or my apartment. I want to pay my money to see the best and I couldn't give a rats **** how it happens."

Here here!

Wing - fairly good point, but you're missing the fact that boxing has operated this way forever. And it has generally been fool-proof. So why is this so tough for UFC?

What we're seeing is a problem. The UFC operates as a local entity (generally speaking). It needs to be global. It needs to be borderless and completely co-promotional - just like boxing. To incur a monopoly business on a sport is heresy. If WBO or WBA or any of the other players in boxing took this mentality, we wouldn't have the sport.

We've allowed the UFC to become the sport, and that is the biggest problem.

If fedor comes in with his own promotional company and management team, then everyone else will want the same, and then it will end up like boxing, where everyone has there own worthless title and they only interested in protecting their record.

The cain vs carwin fight is the perfect example of an awsome fight that would never happen outside ufc, at least not this early in their careers.

Barnett dropped out and no one would step in, all those hyped strikeforce type guys would rather spend the next 5 years beating up washouts and nobodies than step up to the champion and maybe lose.

my 2cents anyway.

"I don't care if Brock and Fedor fought in an east Philly gym' date=' with 50 seats. I don't care if it's in Vegas, Japan, or my apartment. I want to pay my money to see the best and I couldn't give a rats **** how it happens."

Here here![/quote']

Small side note: it's actually, "Hear. Hear." As in, "Hear this man."

Are we seeing a replay of the efforts the UFC took to get Wandy and Chuck to fight? I don't know much about it, but didn't the UFC have to buy Pride before they could get that fight to happen? Is Dana operating under the assumption that it's easier to consume/destroy competing promoters than compromise with them?

Wing - fairly good point' date=' but you're missing the fact that boxing has operated this way forever. And it has generally been fool-proof. So why is this so tough for UFC?

What we're seeing is a problem. The UFC operates as a local entity (generally speaking). It needs to be global. It needs to be borderless and completely co-promotional - just like boxing. To incur a monopoly business on a sport is heresy. If WBO or WBA or any of the other players in boxing took this mentality, we wouldn't have the sport.

We've allowed the UFC to become the sport, and that is the biggest problem.[/quote']

But in boxing you have the problem of 15 000 000 competing belts witch is why the sport became uninteresting and are slowly dying...

Agreed on the belt crap - there did become too many organizations. That is something that needs to be addressed.

Here's how I envision MMA in the world and the future.

There is a World MMA Federation governing body - unifying rules globally. From there, we get 3 distinct regions - North America, Europe/Middle East/Africa, and Asia/South Pacific. Might make sense to make 4 regions for later purposes. There are 3 or 4 constant belts (one for each region) in all weight classes. They operate independently for 9/10ths of the year. Every Christmas, we see a global tournament to determine the best in the world. This is why 4 regions would work better than 3. Top 4 fighters of each weight class (belt holders) square off in an annual tournament for best in the world rights.

Obviously this is a rough idea, but in my personal opinion, the best concept for global MMA.

Thoughts?

Who cares about Fedor, the UFC has lots of good HW's to fight Brock......it Fedor dont want to came to the UFC he's the one that is missing out......

Personally I under stand why the UFC will not Co-Promote.....if you dont thats your own fault, and i'm sick of explaining it.

Plus, I dont think its in MMA's or the UFC's best interest to make MMA anything like Boxing when it comes to Promoting...its the best the way it is......One Promotion, Best Fighters Under One Umbralla, One Event/One Fight Card.........

the UFC does not need FEDOR, and if he's not fighting in the UFC, I will not pay to watch him fight....I dont want to buy 2 or three MMA events every Month, thats why I only Buy UFC EVENT's because thats where 99% of the best fighters are fighting.......

Agreed on the belt crap - there did become too many organizations. That is something that needs to be addressed.

Here's how I envision MMA in the world and the future.

There is a World MMA Federation governing body - unifying rules globally. From there' date=' we get 3 distinct regions - North America, Europe/Middle East/Africa, and Asia/South Pacific. Might make sense to make 4 regions for later purposes. There are 3 or 4 constant belts (one for each region) in all weight classes. They operate independently for 9/10ths of the year. Every Christmas, we see a global tournament to determine the best in the world. This is why 4 regions would work better than 3. Top 4 fighters of each weight class (belt holders) square off in an annual tournament for best in the world rights.

Obviously this is a rough idea, but in my personal opinion, the best concept for global MMA.

Thoughts?[/quote']

This is a terrible idea. Dana is right. No co-promoting. Dana worked in the boxing biz. before he and fertita bought the UFC. He knows the flaws of boxing. Why would he want to be anything like the dieing sport. Don King is a moron who basically ruined boxing. The UFC will eventually become the NFL, NBA, MLB of MMA. Once these other organizations die off, the UFC will be a place for all the top fighters to prove themselves. Use the smaller organizations as a farming system is what i say. If Fedor was smart he would do everything he could to get away from M-1.

On another note. Dana said that when they were trying to get Fedor before, Fedor's managment wanted the UFC to build an arena for them because they were also into concert promotion. What kind of idiots has fedor surrounded himself with?

Who cares about Fedor' date=' the UFC has lots of good HW's to fight Brock......it Fedor dont want to came to the UFC he's the one that is missing out......

[/quote']

Execpt they don't. Carwin, Nogueira or maybe Dos Santo sometime down the line, that's about it.

There is a reason why this year's TUF is all heavyweights. there is a rediculous lack of durable talent in that division.

Fighting skills are a lot more universal than Football, Baseball or Basketball. To put this in the same category of sport is ludicrous.

I agree M-1 is a joke and the situation is unfortunate - but I don't believe MMA should or will be like an NBA or MLB. It's too global to fall under one organization, unless that one organization is on a global front indicated in my idea. Hell, let UFC be the global ruling federation, I don't care. I think we have similar interests in the sport, just different ways of getting there.

Amateur - agreed - the HW division in UFC is disgraceful. I will say HW is by far the hardest division to fulfill in any fighting organization though.

To say that 4 men at HW in the UFC are the best in the world is laughable - to all you people who think UFC holds the worlds best fighters.

Joel - I predict Dana to be the Don King equivalent of MMA. Just without the hair.

You sayin' Dana's Black?

Hulk Hogan, I'm coming for you knee grow!

Great post but....

The thing with copromoting is as has been stated previously, why should Dana and the UFC allow M1 to catch hold of their coat tails and build their organisation on the back of the hard work and financial risk taken by Dana and the Fertita's?

Let the slippery Russians provide their own financial backing and create a promotion as large as the UFC or even Pride or Dream and then you have the power and name to say I can offer this in return of co promotion on an event.

They have nothing to offer the UFC except Fedor and the truth of the matter is that Fedor is not a big enough name or draw to make the company any more money than they have previously.

Brock Lesnar will remain the biggest draw of finance for the foreseeable future Fedor is really a no-mark when it comes to the casual fan.

Fedor is a great fighter but must be extremly stupid or gulible to allow those Russian mafiosa to run everything in his life.

M1 has nothing to offer. That is the bottom line.

The $50-$60 per PPV you may spend is in fact peanuts in comparison to what the UFC could lose in a co-promotional endevour.

Dana is well within his rights to refuse such a offer and I believe more power to him.

Fighting skills are a lot more universal than Football' date=' Baseball or Basketball. To put this in the same category of sport is ludicrous.

I agree M-1 is a joke and the situation is unfortunate - but I don't believe MMA should or will be like an NBA or MLB. It's too global to fall under one organization, unless that one organization is on a global front indicated in my idea. Hell, let UFC be the global ruling federation, I don't care. I think we have similar interests in the sport, just different ways of getting there.[/quote']

To say the NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA aren't global is "ludicrous". They are watched all over the world and have fans all over the world. These organizations take the greatest players from all over the world. Why? because they pay the most and it is where all players everywhere dream of playing in. Besides soccer, these organizations rule over all others globally. The UFC does the exact same thing. Really the UFC has all but one of the best fighters in the world IMO. excluding guys in WEC but the UFC owns them anyways.

To say the NFL' date=' MLB, NHL and NBA aren't global is "ludicrous". They are watched all over the world and have fans all over the world. These organizations take the greatest players from all over the world. Why? because they pay the most and it is where all players everywhere dream of playing in. Besides soccer, these organizations rule over all others globally. The UFC does the exact same thing. Really the UFC has all but one of the best fighters in the world IMO. excluding guys in WEC but the UFC owns them anyways.[/quote']

Co-Sign

Well said Stubird - I agree wholeheartedly about Fedor's handlers. They are not approaching the situation properly at all. They should be willing to give sexual faours to Dana just to have him speak M-1. You are also right about the monetary draw of Lesnar, which worries me moreso. All he's done is bring 15 million WWE hillbillies over to MMA to talk retard and push for gimmicks. Now Lashley in the works....I forsee John Cena and The Rock coming shortly. Afterwards, a comeback by the Ultimate Warrior should solidify the UFC! Woot!

Well said Stubird - I agree wholeheartedly about Fedor's handlers. They are not approaching the situation properly at all. They should be willing to give sexual faours to Dana just to have him speak M-1. You are also right about the monetary draw of Lesnar' date=' which worries me moreso. All he's done is bring 15 million WWE hillbillies over to MMA to talk retard and push for gimmicks. Now Lashley in the works....I forsee John Cena and The Rock coming shortly. Afterwards, a comeback by the Ultimate Warrior should solidify the UFC! Woot![/quote']

What are you talking about?

Good point Joel. Then here's a solution - make Dana and UFC get more global in their talent scouting and signing. To prevent guys like Fedor getting caught up in hack organizations lie M-1 and ruining the chances of fight fans down the road. They should employ scouting techniques EARLY, draft and sign like these other professional leagues do. Now you've got me thinking....hehe.

Well said Stubird - I agree wholeheartedly about Fedor's handlers. They are not approaching the situation properly at all. They should be willing to give sexual faours to Dana just to have him speak M-1. You are also right about the monetary draw of Lesnar' date=' which worries me moreso. All he's done is bring 15 million WWE hillbillies over to MMA to talk retard and push for gimmicks. Now Lashley in the works....I forsee John Cena and The Rock coming shortly. Afterwards, a comeback by the Ultimate Warrior should solidify the UFC! Woot![/quote']

Now you are just spouting bollocks the thing is I hate Brock Lesnar but he gives MMA and more specifically the UFC massive mainstream exposure. If you believe that all WWE fans are retarded hillbillies than nice but they bring with them that which every man and woman alive holds so dear (wether they admit it or not) and that is the MONEY.

Yeah, the wrestling reply was me being dumb. I do worry that over exposure will saturate the sport down the road. I worry as a purist that UFC will turn into a scripted spectacle with only money as the driving force. That would be unfortunate.

Good point Joel. Then here's a solution - make Dana and UFC get more global in their talent scouting and signing. To prevent guys like Fedor getting caught up in hack organizations lie M-1 and ruining the chances of fight fans down the road. They should employ scouting techniques EARLY' date=' draft and sign like these other professional leagues do. Now you've got me thinking....hehe.[/quote']

Are are doing this, but you have to understand the UFC is still basically New as a mainstream Sport.....Cerrently the UFC is tryna to get more fighters out of Mexico. but to do this they have to develop a strong Fan base first, then instead of kids growing up on boxing they will grow up on MMA and Train MMA, thus having more Worldwide Talent.

Sports like NHL, NBA, and MLB took decades to develope a strong international scouting.

Now you are just spouting bollocks the thing is I hate Brock Lesnar but he gives MMA and more specifically the UFC massive mainstream exposure. If you believe that all WWE fans are retarded hillbillies than nice but they bring with them that which every man and woman alive holds so dear (wether they admit it or not) and that is the MONEY.

He has created a supernova effect. Sure it will be glorious for about 2 years, but the UFC might expand too much for it's real crowd to support it and has a good chance of dying out as a blacklash effect once the boom is gone.

Good point Joel. Then here's a solution - make Dana and UFC get more global in their talent scouting and signing. To prevent guys like Fedor getting caught up in hack organizations lie M-1 and ruining the chances of fight fans down the road. They should employ scouting techniques EARLY' date=' draft and sign like these other professional leagues do. Now you've got me thinking....hehe.[/quote']

Honestly they are global. They have top fighters from the UK, Brazil, Canada, Japan and the list goes on. Just because they don't have who is considered to be the top HW doesn't mean they don't scout and sign fighters globally.