Sign in to follow this  
josh3d2004

Something annoying I have noticed about the Fedor Lesnar discussions

First off I decided to make this in the 'Outside the UFC' section as this is where it belongs as it mostly pertains to a match that technically cannot happen as of yet. Until Fedor signs with the UFC according topics should follow this same logic.

On to what I noticed: I notice all of these people saying Fedor losing would mean the end for Fedor and the same for Lesnar. I don't personally see it this way. If Fedor lost it would not change my opinion of Fedor in one bit, nor would I change my opinion on Lesnar if it went the other way. It's a huge learning experience for both men as they have not truly faced anyone like the other. Fedor has never fought anyone at Lesnar's size, wrestling ability, agility, etc. Brock has taken down some huge names in mixed martial arts but Lesnar is relatively new to the sport and he has not come across anyone like Fedor. Not to mention Fedor would get an introduction into cage fighting. ;)

This match is the experienced older wiser man verses the genetic freak of nature with outstanding speed for his size. Obviously Fedor has to reach a point where he begins to lose his ability, same for Lesnar obviously. Time is the downfall of every fighter. I don't see how a loss for either man can be all that devastating and an end-of-the-world-scenario that everyone is making it out to be. Now of course Dana White could see this completely different and fire Fedor or Lesnar if they lost and it would literally ruin their careers. I honestly don't think that would happen after a Lesnar/Emelianenko war.

I just don't personally see why people are saying a loss for Fedor or a loss for Lesnar is the end of their career and the end of the world. Brock came back and beat the hell out of Mir definitively and I still love Mir and his amazing submission ability. I will be rooting for Mir if he goes on to face Kongo as I will be rooting for Brock at his next fight. No love loss for me for either man, win or lose.

Anyone else feel this way? :D

I agree that it wouldn't be a career-ending loss for either of them, but particularly for Fedor a loss would mean a huge blow to his reputation. He has such an aura of invincibility attached to him that a loss in his first fight in the UFC would be a huge black mark on his career, and if it was against Brock that would just be rubbing salt in the wound. Is that totally fair? No. Fedor has already accomplished enough that his career stands as the best ever if he retired today. But I think that is how people would see it. If Brock lost, it would be almost expected, and it would just mean going back to training for him trying to get to Fedor vs. Brock 2. Still a blow to his reputation, but not nearly as big a blow as it would be to Fedor's.

I agree that it wouldn't be a career-ending loss for either of them' date=' but particularly for Fedor a loss would mean a huge blow to his reputation. He has such an aura of invincibility attached to him that a loss in his first fight in the UFC would be a huge black mark on his career, and if it was against Brock that would just be rubbing salt in the wound. Is that totally fair? No. Fedor has already accomplished enough that his career stands as the best ever if he retired today. But I think that is how people would see it. If Brock lost, it would be almost expected, and it would just mean going back to training for him trying to get to Fedor vs. Brock 2. Still a blow to his reputation, but not nearly as big a blow as it would be to Fedor's.[/quote']

+1 I agree with this.

I agree that it wouldn't be a career-ending loss for either of them' date=' but particularly for Fedor a loss would mean a huge blow to his reputation. He has such an aura of invincibility attached to him that a loss in his first fight in the UFC would be a huge black mark on his career, and if it was against Brock that would just be rubbing salt in the wound. Is that totally fair? No. Fedor has already accomplished enough that his career stands as the best ever if he retired today. But I think that is how people would see it. If Brock lost, it would be almost expected, and it would just mean going back to training for him trying to get to Fedor vs. Brock 2. Still a blow to his reputation, but not nearly as big a blow as it would be to Fedor's.[/quote']

So what. If he loses he loses. It doesn't take away from his prior accomplishments and doesn't make him less of a great fighter. It just says someone was better that night. For instance look at Mir Lesnar 1 and how Lesnar came back and did what he did. Personally it wouldn't change my opinion but I understand how people would flock the anti-fedor trains. Looks like they are already starting around the MMA forums. More anti-M-1 Global than Fedor though.

It's just stupid and annoying to me that people think a loss is a definitive death punch to ones career for either side. I'm sure if the fight happened and they stuck around long enough there would be plenty of opportunities for multiple fights and even a fight with Couture. That would be amazing. Fedor and Randy. :D