Sign in to follow this  
PakaL

Favorite Authors

I'm not really sure. I don't believe so' date=' but I could be wrong. Lovecraft is most famous for writing about Cthulhu and the "Elder Gods". He wrote about ancient beings living in other dimensions in space. Black magic type stuff.[/quote']

I looked into it, and Lovecraft did write the original story: "Herbert West: Reanimator". Another author for me to check out now!

I finished American Gods, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Gaiman's handling of mythology was very clever, and the plot was intriguing. Definitely worth checking out! :)

I just finished reading "Tapestry Of Spies" by Stephen Hunter. It was a good book, but the ending was kinda melancholy. Its definitely a book I wouldn't recommend to people as a first to read by the Author. Read some of his other books first and then read this one.

This is a little off topic, but there is an author at the centre of it, so what the heck..

I felt like changing my avatar, and thought about using an image by William Blake. Google images came up with a crop, including the one I've changed to; it's a life mask of Blake himself, and I liked it as it seems to look like someone emerging from the dark, sleepwalking or so on. Chose it, had a look at where it came from - a collection of pictures from the Scottish National Gallery - the exhibition is caled 'The Somnambulists'. How odd is that?

This is a little off topic' date=' but there is an author at the centre of it, so what the heck..

I felt like changing my avatar, and thought about using an image by William Blake. Google images came up with a crop, including the one I've changed to; it's a life mask of Blake himself, and I liked it as it seems to look like someone emerging from the dark, sleepwalking or so on. Chose it, had a look at where it came from - a collection of pictures from the Scottish National Gallery - the exhibition is caled 'The Somnambulists'. How odd is that?[/quote']

"Some are born to eternal night" -William Blake, Proverbs from Hell

That's neat. I sleepwalk too- and it scares me. But I like Blake's poetry! :)

The Divine Comedy is quite good. I would definitely recommend people reading it. Dante's writing style changes the further along you read. Each section is written in a slightly different style. "The Inferno" is written in almost a crude sort of way, "The Purgatio" is very calm and somber, and "The Paradiso" is very vibrant.

I don't sleepwalk, but I used to sleepcrawl. Kinda frightening actually now that I think about it.

"Some are born to eternal night" -William Blake' date=' Proverbs from Hell

That's neat. I sleepwalk too- and it scares me. But I like Blake's poetry! :)[/quote']

I'm more into his illustrations; haven't gone for a proper sleepwalk in years, and I agree, it can be scary. My most infamous incident was waking up nekkid in the corridor of a hotel I was staying at for a conference. The sound of my door shutting woke me up. I had to go 4 floors down wearing a tablecloth like a toga to ask for a spare key. The concierge (French) was so cool and Gallic: 'Sir, you don't need to explain anything about yourself to me.' Also once dismantled a light fitting back to the bare wire, isolated the electricity and everything. I find that staying awake until you're absolutely exhausted does the trick

for stopping it - it's a hell of a routine to get into, but I average 3 hours a night these days and manage OK.

I'm more into his illustrations; haven't gone for a proper sleepwalk in years' date=' and I agree, it can be scary. My most infamous incident was waking up nekkid in the corridor of a hotel I was staying at for a conference. The sound of my door shutting woke me up. I had to go 4 floors down wearing a tablecloth like a toga to ask for a spare key. The concierge (French) was so cool and Gallic: 'Sir, you don't need to explain anything about yourself to me.' Also once dismantled a light fitting back to the bare wire, isolated the electricity and everything. I find that staying awake until you're absolutely exhausted does the trick

for stopping it - it's a hell of a routine to get into, but I average 3 hours a night these days and manage OK.[/quote']

Sleepwalking is so weird- it's so unpredictable. I think I do it more when I'm stressed out. Recently I made myself a pot of coffee and drank it in my sleep, and that just freaked me out. I'm worried I could do something dangerous. I sleepwalked in on my sister and her fiance topless three years ago, but all I remember was her hustling me out of the bedroom with a blanket around my shoulders. It was pretty embarassing!

I used to sleepcrawl. Which is similar to sleepwalking except you crawl, not walk. I would slide myself out of bed and onto the floor and crawl across the floor, out of my room, and into the hallway, usually ending up in the living room. Its really bizarre to wake up on the floor in a completely different section of the house. I think I grew out of it, but there was this one time fairly recently where I fell asleep downstairs and woke up upstairs in my bed.

I'm not so concerned about ME doing something dangerous, but it's about putting myself into a situation where other people are doing their thing eg. walking into a road where someone is driving without paying attention. Yes, I have made it outside - my neighbours saw my bare a$$ a dozen times in the back yard! But, if you look at you with the coffee, or me with the light fitting, I think it's a case of someone functioning at their normal level, but in a state of disassociation, so probably nothing to worry about too much apart from the odd embarassing incident!

"Some are born to eternal night" -William Blake' date=' Proverbs from Hell

That's neat. I sleepwalk too- and it scares me. But I like Blake's poetry! :)[/quote']

The Divine Comedy is quite good. I would definitely recommend people reading it. Dante's writing style changes the further along you read. Each section is written in a slightly different style. "The Inferno" is written in almost a crude sort of way' date=' "The Purgatio" is very calm and somber, and "The Paradiso" is very vibrant.

I don't sleepwalk, but I used to sleepcrawl. Kinda frightening actually now that I think about it.[/quote']

I've never read the Divine Comedy- I started it but I couldn't get into it. One of these days I will give it another look, I'm sure it would be good to read. I did enjoy the illustrations Blake did for it, though!

I also realized I misquoted Blake in my earlier post. It should have been "Some are born to endless night", and it's a line from his poem Augeries of Innocence, not one of his Proverbs of Hell. Haha, at least the general idea stuck in my head, and it got me to get out my Blake and read more of his poetry. It's good stuff. :)

I've never read the Divine Comedy- I started it but I couldn't get into it. One of these days I will give it another look' date=' I'm sure it would be good to read. I did enjoy the illustrations Blake did for it, though!

I also realized I misquoted Blake in my earlier post. It should have been "Some are born to endless night", and it's a line from his poem Augeries of Innocence, not one of his Proverbs of Hell. Haha, at least the general idea stuck in my head, and it got me to get out my Blake and read more of his poetry. It's good stuff. :)[/quote']

I like poetry. I will have to check out William Blake.

William Butler Yeats is good, Robbie Burns (good Scottish poet), T.S. Eliot is always classy. There's a lot of good poets, but I think sadly, people have missed the point of it all over the years.

I've never read the Divine Comedy- I started it but I couldn't get into it. One of these days I will give it another look' date=' I'm sure it would be good to read. I did enjoy the illustrations Blake did for it, though!

I also realized I misquoted Blake in my earlier post. It should have been "Some are born to endless night", and it's a line from his poem Augeries of Innocence, not one of his Proverbs of Hell. Haha, at least the general idea stuck in my head, and it got me to get out my Blake and read more of his poetry. It's good stuff. :)[/quote']

I picked up a new verse translation of 'Inferno' by the Poet Robert Pinsky at the local library today, and also a new Blake biography by Marsha Keith Schuchard. Will update you as to what they're like.

Also on the authors front: Cormac McCarthy, anyone?

I like poetry. I will have to check out William Blake.

William Butler Yeats is good' date=' Robbie Burns (good Scottish poet), T.S. Eliot is always classy. There's a lot of good poets, but I think sadly, people have missed the point of it all over the years.[/quote']

I like Yeats a lot. I really need to start reading more poetry. Have you read any of W.H. Auden's poems? He is really good, and some of them are quite creepy as well.

I picked up a new verse translation of 'Inferno' by the Poet Robert Pinsky at the local library today' date=' and also a new Blake biography by Marsha Keith Schuchard. Will update you as to what they're like.

Also on the authors front: Cormac McCarthy, anyone?[/quote']

I'm not sure who did the translation of the Inferno that I started to read, but I imagine that would make a big difference. I'd like to hear how you enjoy your new copy. :)

I'm not sure who did the translation of the Inferno that I started to read' date=' but I imagine that would make a big difference. I'd like to hear how you enjoy your new copy. :)[/quote']

My copy of the Divine Comedy is the John Ciardi Translation. It is excellent and he provides notes for the reader to follow. It is probably one of the best (if not the best) translations out there.

My copy of the Divine Comedy is the John Ciardi Translation. It is excellent and he provides notes for the reader to follow. It is probably one of the best (if not the best) translations out there.

Again. Damn. The amount of nerdery around here is making me want to go out, get drunk, get into a bar fight, and go home to my homely wife like a real man does! ;)

Again. Damn. The amount of nerdery around here is making me want to go out' date=' get drunk, get into a bar fight, and go home to my homely wife like a real man does! ;)[/quote']

Maybe drink a Coors Light and get on top of your old lady? BWAHAHAHA :D

Haha, I'm not a very sophisticated poetry reader, but I do enjoy it. I started reading Blake because of his artwork, Yeats because Loreena McKennitt set the words of The Stolen Child to music, and Auden because one of his poems was quoted at the start of a chapter in Watership Down. Plus I've memorized some poems from the Lord of the Rings because, yes Thug4less, I'm a dork. :P

On a side note, Watership Down is another great book. I couldn't put it down when I started it. :)

Stephen King:)

geralds game, dark towers a 7 book series. some of the best reading ever. my all time favorite book im sure alot of you had to read in college or highschool is "The iliad" by homer. one of the best war stories ever written. i like classics. ernest hemingway, a farewell to arms, the old man and the sea. grapes of wrath, of mice and men, fareheit 451, 1984. ive read alot of books i could go on forever.

Agatha christie is rele good

Is true. Anyone read anything from fulcanelli? Also 1 of my favorite quotes from a smart man is imagination is more important than KNOWLEDGE Albert einstein...Imagination has no limits as knowledge on the other hand does

Edgar Allan Poe

My favorite Poe stories were The Telltale Heart and The Goldbug. And of course I love The Raven. It's fun to parody' date=' too: "Quoth the raven **** a *****"

How about some old school:

William Shakespeare and Plato have some great stuff...obviously :)

I've never read any Plato. My favorite Shaespeare plays are The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I've only read Hamlet, haha!

My favorite Poe stories were The Telltale Heart and The Goldbug. And of course I love The Raven. It's fun to parody' date=' too: "Quoth the raven **** a *****"

I've never read any Plato. My favorite Shaespeare plays are The Tempest and A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I've only read Hamlet, haha![/quote']

Plato is great. Reading his work is a good way to learn about simple logic, philosophy, even math. The guy was a real Genius! I guess having the "Father of Modern Thought" Socrates( or SO-CRATES as I call him ahla Bill and Ted :)) as your teacher has its benefits

My personal favorites from Shakespear are : Romeo and Juliet, Othello, Taming of the Shrew, HenryV, McBeth, Hamlet, Antony and Cleopatra, The Comedy of Errors, Julius Ceasar, and Shakespears Sonnets. All are amazing. Theres a reason the guy is the most famous writer/poet in history

I know I've mentioned this before, but people should check out Jim Butcher. He writes both modern and traditional fantasy novels, with slick, fast-paced action, good characters and plots, and a really nice creative use of magic and the supernatural. :)

The most fun sci-fi book ever is "The Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy" by D. Adams. Its five books are great and they are so much fun to read. I would recomend them to anyone who havent read them yet.

The most fun sci-fi book ever is "The Hitchhiker?s Guide to the Galaxy" by D. Adams. Its five books are great and they are so much fun to read. I would recomend them to anyone who havent read them yet.

I keep hearing about those, I will have to check them out. :)

I keep hearing about those' date=' I will have to check them out. :)[/quote']

They are pretty good, but I think they're an acquired taste. You might be tweaked enough to enjoy them. Also, I can't get into the Dresden-dude, as I call him. I tried... I failed.

Also, shouldn't you be somewhere getting hammered... in both ways? Heheh.

They are pretty good' date=' but I think they're an acquired taste. You might be tweaked enough to enjoy them. Also, I can't get into the Dresden-dude, as I call him. I tried... I failed.

Also, shouldn't you be somewhere getting hammered... in both ways? Heheh.[/quote']

It does have a weird sense of humour, but I find it hilarious. I also find the movie pretty funny as well.

It does have a weird sense of humour' date=' but I find it hilarious. I also find the movie pretty funny as well.[/quote']

Oh, Mtx. I only have to look at your sig to know that you're twisted enough. Not to mention that sick **** that originally said that.

Oh' date=' Mtx. I only have to look at your sig to know that you're twisted enough. Not to mention that sick **** that originally said that.[/quote']

Hahaha, this comming from the inventor of the Quiver-Master 9000 and the one who perverted pixies beyond salvation.... Wow, this means a lot :D

There's a British comedian called Dave Gorman who often embarks on unique adventures then chronicles them, with hilarious results. Check out "Are you Dave Gorman" in which he travels the world looking for people called Dave Gorman,"Googlewhack Adventure" where he again travels the world finding people who are the owners of googlewhack websites, and "America Unchained" which is a tour across America without giving any money to large corporations or chain stores, so he will only eat, sleep and buy fuel from independently owned outlets, which is a lot harder than you would imagine.