Sign in to follow this  
ArcaneKnight

Lyoto Machida Single Handedly Changing the Game..

if you want to watch guys mock each other watch the wwe. martial arts is about honour and respect, people have forgotten that and its depressing to see that. big nog and wandy are two of my favourite fighters, not because theyre the best from pride or anything like that, but because theyre martial artists, they respect their opponents regardless of who it is and the circumstances

arcaneknight has been a fan of machida ever since WAY back when he beat rashad for the title.

arcane you clearly havent seen lyotos previous fights.

they all sucked.

and he lost about half of them.

just because he is now the title holder doesnt make him good.

remember when forrest was the champ?

on topic.

the octagon dimensions will not change so your fake fanboy fantasy based on false claims of your love for your fighter. ( we all know you only started liking him after the rashad fight ) are baseless.

I've already made a thread about how I feel about bandwagon jumping socalled MMA fans. I know everyone used to boo him' date=' but the majority of the fanbase operates on a "what have you done for me lately" mentality. People don't remember what you've done in the past, it comes down to what've you done in your last few fights, more importantly your last fight. Remember all the heat Anderson took for his fights with Leites and Cote? Everybody jumped on the bandwagon of calling him overrated, was never a top p4p fighter, people were saying all kinds of garbage.

But the few people rooting for and thinking Shogun is going to win, and how you'll laugh your **** of when he does, but what are you going to say when he gets dismantled? I'm just going to say I told you so, and let you doubt him again his next fight. I try to warn people, educate them, but it's in one ear and right out the other with a lot of you, so I just sit back and allow you to learn the hard way. To the point where you say "damn I should've listened to AK, he was right all along." And my reply will be, I told you so.

So keep doubting me and my fighters, we will prove you wrong one way or another, whether you like it or not, and there isn't a damn thing you, Shogun, or anyone else can do about it. Accept it.[/quote']

do you own LYOTO'S contract or what?you keep calling him your fighter so just wondered.

That's called being smart. There is nothing wrong with sizing up your opponent or back peddling in a fight. This isn't a Kimbo youtube video.

no its not a kimbo you tube video but in the EVANS fight nothing happens for 4 and a half mins so people booed cos it was boring.

Its OFFICIAL folks.. The UFC is officially trying to turn their fights into sloppy brawls.

As soon as Lyoto Machida became champion' date=' they all of a sudden are considering making the Octagon smaller. They dont want a tactical perfectionist like Lyoto Machida holding the title and putting on a technical clinic. The UFC just wants to see brawls, to make the sport more mainstream by attracting all the people who just want to see knockouts, same idiots who boo as soon as a fight hits the ground, UFC is banking on this idea which in turn will rake in more revenue.

A lot of fighters need to take damage in order to find an opening to win the fight. Not many can completely outclass opponents without taking damage, except for a select few. They're trying to level the playing field for fighters, by trapping them in close quarters to induce a slugfest.

Anyone who's watched my fighter, knows Lyoto is a striking tactition. There's a reason why he's the least hit fighter in MMA history. He's an intelligent fighter, why brawl when he can break his opponents down, then finish them a round or 2 in, without taking any damage at all? Notice brawlers like Wanderlei, have a limited MMA career at the top, taking all that damage over the years will only take you so far, before those years of punishment catch up to you, and you slow down to the point where you're no longer even able to compete at a top level.

Lyoto is going to have a long and prosperous career. The UFC knows that, and Im sure everyone in the LHW division is lobbying for them to make the cage smaller, strictly because of Lyoto. They know they cant outstrike him, so they want to be able to get him in a position where he doesn't have much room to work with. So they can get into a slugfest with him. Lyoto isnt the strongest fighter, but he is the smartest, and most skilled, and that will beat power anyday. You put him in a small cage, yeah one of these stronger fighters might be able to catch him.

I prefer to see someone get picked apart, til their soul gets destroyed right infront of the eyes of millions. A brawl is nice every once in a while, and makes for an exciting fight, but it's for lesser talented fighters. I dont want to see top flight fighters brawling, there's no real skill in it, it comes down to who can land that big punch on the button first. No one strives to be a brawler, fighters strive to be as talented and as technical as possible, outclassing their opponents, not outswinging them.

That said, who would've known 1 fighter could single handedly change the biggest part of the Octagon. IMO, it's the perfect size as is. It needs no changing. It just goes to show, they never wanted to give Lyoto a title shot, they held it off for as long as possible, but Lyoto would not allow them to deny him a shot at it. Now that he gets the title, the UFC is going to go out of their way to try and make him lose it, by making the Octagon smaller. I guarantee if they do change it, they'll wait until Lyoto loses his title, then all of a sudden change it back to it's original size, then make Lyoto wait another 6-7 fights to get his shot at the title again.

The UFC might as well just say "We're going to make the cage smaller for all of Lyoto's fights to give his opponents a chance." Label it the Machida rule. Better than beating around the bush. We know why they're going to make the cage smaller, all because of Lyoto. They dont think he's as marketable as other fighters in the division, and they came to the realization nobody in the division is going to beat him. Lyoto creates space, how does a fighter combat the best man to do this? He gets with the rest of the fighters in the LHW division and forms a union to threaten to go on strike unless the UFC makes the cage smaller so they can limit the room Machida has to work with, in order to beat him.

Yes people, a fighter so skilled, so talented, and so far ahead of the pack, that an entire organization will change the size of their cage to try and close the gap between a champion and the rest of the division. All because of one fighter... Lyoto Machida.[/quote']

so you didnt enjoy LYOTO'S fight against EVANS since only idiots like knockouts

arcaneknight has been a fan of machida ever since WAY back when he beat rashad for the title.

arcane you clearly havent seen lyotos previous fights.

they all sucked.

and he lost about half of them.

just because he is now the title holder doesnt make him good.

remember when forrest was the champ?

on topic.

the octagon dimensions will not change so your fake fanboy fantasy based on false claims of your love for your fighter. ( we all know you only started liking him after the rashad fight ) are baseless.

I have never seen a fight of Machida's that "sucked." And oh yeah, I have seen them all.

I have never seen a fight of Machida's that "sucked." And oh yeah' date=' I have seen them all.[/quote']

you could say that theyre boring, but his ability to finish the fight so quickly is awesome, he makes tiny footwork mistakes into highlight reel knockouts

two counter strikers= boring. machida still managed to force him into attacking him though' date=' and thats how machida wins[/quote']

yeah i think he is a clever fighter great long range strikes and kicks but i just dont think he is as good as everyone thinks he is and since he has already managed to get into this thread as well i think the same of FEDOR.

The one mistake of appealing to the mainstream, the mainstream is bigger than the mma fan. The mainstream wants to see gruesome bloody knockouts (who doesn't), but they really aren't interested in a good bjj grapple match and some good reversals etc. You know what I mean...

Notice how after 2 machida KO's Dana now says Machida loves to bang? It's about $$$ now, not mma, and if they make the cage smaller to induce barroom brawls, i'm sure Machida will have a solution for that too, because he is a REAL fighter, a true talented fighter with a great spirit.

I'll always watch the UFC as it has all my favorite fighters, but let's not kid ourselves folks, it's not about MMA anymore, skills, etc, it's about performances.

All the posts that refer to reducing backpedaling, less 'running' etc, all true in the sense of increasing revenue.

IMHO if ya wanna keep it about the sport, let the fighters choose if they want a cage or a ring to fight in, not the organization, reintroduce tournaments, 5x5 rounds for all fights, etc.

just my two cents...

you could say that theyre boring' date=' but his ability to finish the fight so quickly is awesome, he makes tiny footwork mistakes into highlight reel knockouts[/quote']

you mean apart from the 8 fights that went to decision.

Lyoto is very good, Shogun can be very good. I could not stand watching The Dragon shy away from the fight when he was "fighting" Tito. Then something changed...He knocked out a knockout artist in Thiago Silva, he shut the ever running ****** faced Rashad Evans, and a star is born. Is it premature stardom? everybody will find out on 10/24! I got Shogun reliving his PRIDE form!

i cant believe someone who is a fan of two of the 3 most dominate fighters in mma has the nerve to call someone a banwagon fan. let me guess you followed thier career from way back in the local fights in brazil.and they just freakishly both became this good. more then likely you saw the wins over tito, rashad, and thiago and said i did this guy....which makes you a ban wagon fan. choosing the best fighters out there as your favorites doesnt support that you know what your talking about. but then again you may just have a thing for brazilian guys and im just off base here lol

Honestly' date=' Lyoto might win. But I get tired of the Machida "OMGZ he's foxing unb3AtaL3" bandwagon that's going around right now so I'm backing the Gun. And if... IF, Shogun pulls off the upset of the year I will LMFAO at everyone of you who jumps on the Shogun bandwagon when it's fairly obvious there are, about, 5 people on here who actually give Shogun a chance.

My brain says Machida will probably win but my heart says Shogun is going to KO him. My heart may be wrong, but I'm still pulling for Shogun.

I like Machida, I really do. But I'm disgusted at the people who have jumped on the band wagon when, I watched him and liked him when he fought Ortiz, Heath etc. and EVERYBODY was booing him. Now all of the sudden everybody's "been a fan forever" yet it's fairly evident people are just going for who's winning.[/quote']

very well said, i couldnt agree more. i like both guys, both are great strikers and great BJJ, and both are very classy and humble. if i was a betting man, my $$$ would be on lyoto but since i dont bet, im pulling for shogun.

and they shouldnt change the size of the octagon at all, its perfect, if they made it smaller there would also be a lot less ground game because there would be less room to go for takedowns. changing the size would be retarded

and AK, never speak ill of wanderlei. he is MMA. the definition of a fighter. win lose or draw, he is without a doubt the most exciting fighter ever. he never has boring fights, and technical or not he's a f***ing badass

8 out of how many?

out of 15 you mean you didnt know? 8 decisions 2 subs 3 TKO's 2 knockouts,my point was the guy said he finishes fights fast but he doesnt well no more so than the next person only winning 3 fights in the first round and one of those due to a cut .

im not having a go at the bloke just clarifying a point.

It's disturbing that you actually believe this.

It's disturbing that youre actually disturbed by this persons opinion about who will win this fight how. (Not really.)

Statistically, There is some chance that Shogun'll do just that. The probability factor is low, but not that low.

If Machida had a head built like Dan Henderson or Quinton Jackson then I would think it is much less a factor. But he doesn't.

This will be a great fight. I expect Machida to make Shogun look more like Evans than Shogun making Machida look more like Liddell.

very well said' date=' i couldnt agree more. i like both guys, both are great strikers and great BJJ, and both are very classy and humble. if i was a betting man, my $$$ would be on lyoto but since i dont bet, im pulling for shogun.

and they shouldnt change the size of the octagon at all, its perfect, if they made it smaller there would also be a lot less ground game because there would be less room to go for takedowns. changing the size would be retarded

and AK, never speak ill of wanderlei. he is MMA. the definition of a fighter. win lose or draw, he is without a doubt the most exciting fighter ever. he never has boring fights, and technical or not he's a f***ing badass[/quote']

Wandy is an old washed up has-been. He always has been a has-been. His circa UFC 1 fight style is played out, and doesn't cut it anymore. This is the big leagues, if you dont evolve with the times, you get left in the dust. Wandy's brawling ways will get him nowhere. Dude stands on the outside, just stands there and throws these wide looping shots hoping you'll run into them. I dont think he's ever thrown a jab in his life, or a straight right for that matter.

A prime Wandy was the product of Pride's no drug testing policy. Dude had mad roid rage, and could take it out on fighters in the ring. No roids? No rage. It's no coincidence he's not the same fighter he was in Pride. Fact of the matter is, for a fighter to stay on top, they have to evolve, Wandy never evolved, while the competition did, they surpassed him, and now the dude is just hanging onto something he'll never get back. Wandy needs to let the sport go, and just become a full time coach. He has no business fighting anymore. He's on his way out just like Chuck is.

Wandy is an old washed up has-been. He always has been a has-been. His circa UFC 1 fight style is played out' date=' and doesn't cut it anymore. This is the big leagues, if you dont evolve with the times, you get left in the dust. Wandy's brawling ways will get him nowhere. Dude stands on the outside, just stands there and throws these wide looping shots hoping you'll run into them. I dont think he's ever thrown a jab in his life, or a straight right for that matter.

A prime Wandy was the product of Pride's no drug testing policy. Dude had mad roid rage, and could take it out on fighters in the ring. No roids? No rage. It's no coincidence he's not the same fighter he was in Pride. Fact of the matter is, for a fighter to stay on top, they have to evolve, Wandy never evolved, while the competition did, they surpassed him, and now the dude is just hanging onto something he'll never get back. Wandy needs to let the sport go, and just become a full time coach. He has no business fighting anymore. He's on his way out just like Chuck is.[/quote']

who cares if his style is out-dated, washed-up, unevolved. he is exciting and brings it to every fight. let me try to make you understand what im saying, ill use lyoto as an example.

his style is excellent, and makes him pretty close to untouchable. but he is not the most fun to watch. now before you lose your pants on how im an uneducated mma fan and that i dont understand the "technical" aspect...blah blah blah.....trust me, i do. i love technical fights, i love watching guys like GSP, BJ, lyoto and others dominate people based on skill

but guys that stand and throw caution to the winds are equally, if not more fun to watch. fighters like wanderlei, henderson, rampage, shogun may not be the most technically skilled but you are going to get a good fight when you watch them.

everyone has their preferences, but i doubt there are many people that dont love to watch an all out war

Don't be mad that I state facts. I'm just here to bring then raw kid. Give it to you live and direct' date=' no beating around the bush, pure in your face statements backed by undisputable evidence. [/b']

Before Lyoto became champion, this would've been completely out of the question. If you came at the UFC with this idea, you'd have been told you were an idiot. Lyoto becomes champion, and all of a sudden the higher ups over at UFC are considering making the Octagon smaller. Hmmmm...

Coincidence? I think not. There's a reason, and Lyoto is that reason. Whether you like it or not.

You're just mad the UFC will never come out and admit that. Just because they won't admit it, doesn't mean it's not true.

AK your verion of pure facts is about equivelant to Fox news when it comes to being unbiased and Factual.

Maybe with Pride rules Shogun would be victorious againts Lyoto.. But with UFC rules it's hard to see Shogun winning. Problem with new crowd is that they don't really apreciate tactics and ground-game.. Lot people wanna see just brawling.. As Rogan says with "High level jijutsu" To totally understand what's going on with positions and sweeps - you gotta learn the game lot more. Lyoto is good expection - his stand-up game is really exciting to watch.. I Hope they won't change the size of the octagon.

AK your verion of pure facts is about equivelant to Fox news when it comes to being unbiased and Factual.

Sir' date=' I am fair and balanced as can be. I've been studying the game a LONG time buddy. My statements are backed by facts in most cases, if not, then I give insurmountable evidence that is impossible to refute.

I grew up watching this sport, I know it inside and out. You will never be able to take that away from me. You can say this and you can say that, but this is my sport, and you cannot take that away from me. I've given too much to this sport to just let it go now. It's not happening buddy, not on my watch, not if there's something I can do about it.

I've never turned my back on this sport, and I never will, as long as there's an ounce of air in my lungs, I will fight like a bat out of hell, and defend my sport til death. One thing you don't do is disrespect the sport I worked so hard to bring to you, the masses. My mission is not over, this is just the beginning. My sport is taking off faster than a space shuttle upon blast off, rising faster than the oceans caused by global warming, melting the polar ice caps, rising faster than a shuryuken uppercut delivered at the hands of Ryu, aka Lyoto Machida.

[img']http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/Dimmauk/RyuMachida.jpg[/img]

So if you have a problem, you can go back to WWE, or tuesday night Badminton. If my sport is too real for you, and you can't handle the facts that I bring you, then you're a fan of the wrong sport buddy. My sport is not for the weak, or the faint of heart. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and someone's got to get knocked out. Come October 24th, you will be witness to one of the most devastating beatdowns in MMA history, judgement day is upon us, and if you're not prepared for it, it will strike you with the wrath of a hundred hydrogen bombs.

Shogun fans, make sure you have your pastor there by your side the night of Oct. 24th. It is going to get ugly. The rest of you, put the suicide hotline on speed dial.. (Thank me later)

Sir' date=' I am fair and balanced as can be. I've been studying the game a LONG time buddy. My statements are backed by facts in most cases, if not, then I give insurmountable evidence that is impossible to refute.

I grew up watching this sport, I know it inside and out. You will never be able to take that away from me. You can say this and you can say that, but this is my sport, and you cannot take that away from me. I've given too much to this sport to just let it go now. It's not happening buddy, not on my watch, not if there's something I can do about it.

I've never turned my back on this sport, and I never will, as long as there's an ounce of air in my lungs, I will fight like a bat out of hell, and defend my sport til death. One thing you don't do is disrespect the sport I worked so hard to bring to you, the masses. My mission is not over, this is just the beginning. My sport is taking off faster than a space shuttle upon blast off, rising faster than the oceans caused by global warming, melting the polar ice caps, rising faster than a shuryuken uppercut delivered at the hands of Ryu, aka Lyoto Machida.

[img']http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/Dimmauk/RyuMachida.jpg[/img]

So if you have a problem, you can go back to WWE, or tuesday night Badminton. If my sport is too real for you, and you can't handle the facts that I bring you, then you're a fan of the wrong sport buddy. My sport is not for the weak, or the faint of heart. It's a dog eat dog world out there, and someone's got to get knocked out. Come October 24th, you will be witness to one of the most devastating beatdowns in MMA history, judgement day is upon us, and if you're not prepared for it, it will strike you with the wrath of a hundred hydrogen bombs.

Shogun fans, make sure you have your pastor there by your side the night of Oct. 24th. It is going to get ugly. The rest of you, put the suicide hotline on speed dial.. (Thank me later)

1st point scary self indulgent rant!

2nd point if LYOTO (your fighter)is so good why are you even bothered how big the octogan is surely it wont matter to him since he is so all powerfull.

3rd i do believe LYOTO will beat shogun.

4th "MY MISSION""MY SPORT""IVE GIVEN TOO MUCH TO THIS SPORT" cookoo cookoo cookoo like i said scary self indulgent rant.

1st point scary self indulgent rant!

2nd point if LYOTO (your fighter)is so good why are you even bothered how big the octogan is surely it wont matter to him since he is so all powerfull.

3rd i do believe LYOTO will beat shogun.

4th "MY MISSION""MY SPORT""IVE GIVEN TOO MUCH TO THIS SPORT" cookoo cookoo cookoo like i said scary self indulgent rant.

I'm not bothered. I'm just letting it be known that if they do change the size of the Octagon, it will be because of Lyoto Machida, to give his opponents a better chance of catching him. They know he only gets hit once every 2 1/2 rounds, notice how in Pride, fighters could cut their opponents off and corner them, in the cage, he has too much room to work with, making him near impossible to catch and hit.

Even then, it's nothing to Machida, he was still dominant in a ring. I dont care if they make the cage smaller, nothing is going to stop Machida from hanging onto that title. It will just give his opponents a false sense of security when facing him. I mean look at Rampage, the dude flatout quit MMA because of Machida. I expect others to soon follow unless they make the cage smaller. Only way a lot of them would even take that fight, is if they could cut him off and force him into a slugfest.

But it's whatever. Nothing is going to stop Shogun from recieving the Apocalyptic beatdown Machida is going to lay down on him come Oct. 24th.

I'm not bothered. I'm just letting it be known that if they do change the size of the Octagon' date=' it will be because of Lyoto Machida, to give his opponents a better chance of catching him. They know he only gets hit once every 2 1/2 rounds, notice how in Pride, fighters could cut their opponents off and corner them, in the cage, he has too much room to work with, making him near impossible to catch and hit.

Even then, it's nothing to Machida, he was still dominant in a ring. I dont care if they make the cage smaller, nothing is going to stop Machida from hanging onto that title. It will just give his opponents a false sense of security when facing him. I mean look at Rampage, the dude flatout quit MMA because of Machida. I expect others to soon follow unless they make the cage smaller. Only way a lot of them would even take that fight, is if they could cut him off and force him into a slugfest.

But it's whatever. Nothing is going to stop Shogun from recieving the Apocalyptic beatdown Machida is going to lay down on him come Oct. 24th.[/quote']

well gotta admire your conviction just hope you dont take it too hard when he does lose and he will they all do eventually.

You talk like you a soldier on the frontlines of MMA or something. Plus you are waaaaaaaaaaaay to possessive buddy, you can’t claim to own a friggin sport? As far as I can tell you’re not Dana White or one of the F brothers so you don't own Zuffa or the UFC its not yours so stop pretending. And other than E-thugging you finger tips raw I really don’t see what you have given up or sacrificed for the sport. If I’m wrong enlighten me.

What a pointless thing to do, they might as well get rid of the cage altogether and replace it with a traditional 4-corner ring. If they make it smaller where the hell is the ref supposed to stand?

i am so torn between machida vs shogun, shogun is my favourite fighter but as a karate guy im kinda glad our martial art is getting some recognition again. Without sounding cheesy i hope for a 5 round war where both fighters walk away with their heads held high, though i dont see it happening :( shogun by knockout by a hook as machida does drop his left hand when he throws his right ( a karate habit unfortunatly), or a nice Gyaku zuki from machida to win